Home

Cars used in The Godfather Trilogy

Posted By: Sonny_Black

Cars used in The Godfather Trilogy - 12/12/10 08:14 PM

I found an interesting website about cars used in movies.

Here you can find information with pictures about which cars from which years were used in all three films.

Cars used in The Godfather:

http://www.imcdb.org/movie_68646-The-Godfather.html

Cars used in The Godfather Part II:

http://www.imcdb.org/movie_71562-The-Godfather--Part-II.html

Cars used in Part III:

http://www.imcdb.org/movie_99674-The-Godfather--Part-III.html
Posted By: SC

Re: Cars used in The Godfather Trilogy - 12/12/10 09:14 PM

Some interesting stuff there, Sonny. Thanks for the links.

I'm curious as to what our two resident car experts will have to say (Turnbull and Johnny Ola). One "time" mistake that jumps out at me is the 1946 car used as a cab when Tom Hagen visited Woltz Studios. That trip to the coast was done in the last week of August, 1945. I believe (could be wrong) that the 1946 model cars didn't come out until late September or October of '45 then. (OK, it's a minor mistake).
Posted By: Buttmunker

Re: Cars used in The Godfather Trilogy - 12/13/10 01:14 AM

I found it funny (not ha-ha funny) that, within a span of 10 years, cars went from being very rounded, almost bubble-shaped (Godfather I), to extremely streamlined and pointy (Godfather II).

Re: Cars used in The Godfather Trilogy - 12/13/10 03:20 PM

I think the most beautiful cars were made in the fifties and early sixties.

It's probably one of the reasons why I prefer part II as my favorite.
Posted By: Lorenzo

Re: Cars used in The Godfather Trilogy - 12/13/10 04:16 PM

I don't know if that is correct but that is a good eye to catch a detail like that.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Cars used in The Godfather Trilogy - 12/14/10 01:29 AM

10 points to SC on that '46 Plymouth. clap Also, the red ragtop just in front of the taxi on the lot is a '47 Kaiser. Also, Michael's Cad when he woos Kay in New Hampshire is a '47--not a '49. That's very important if you want to establish an accurate timelinen for Michael's return from Sicily. And, the Alfa Romeo 6C2500 is a '43, not a '46. I guess the poster on that site didn't know Alfa Romeo made cars during WWII.

They really screwed up the years on the II cars. The Hotel Mayflower Cad is a '55; the Chrysler New Yorker is a '58; the Plymouth taxi in Cuba is a '58 Plaza, not a '57 Belvedere; the Imperial Crown Ghia limo is a '59; the red-and-black Ford is a Custom 500. I'm surprised they didn't show the '57 Merc Montclair that took Michael around in Cuba, or the '56 Mercedes 300SL gullwing that Fredo drove up to Anthony's party in a deleted scene.
Posted By: Buttmunker

Re: Cars used in The Godfather Trilogy - 12/14/10 02:15 PM

Disappointed that I didn't see a baby-blue cadallac at Clemenza's house, like in the book. He just had the "standard" BLACK cadallac. wink
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Cars used in The Godfather Trilogy - 12/14/10 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Buttmunker
Disappointed that I didn't see a baby-blue cadallac at Clemenza's house, like in the book. He just had the "standard" BLACK cadallac. wink

Great catch, Butt Monkey grin clap.

Every time I read that passage I'm disappointed that they used the black one for the film. It may have been a budget concern. Replicating the blue on an almost 30 year old car would have been quite expensive back then.

Re: Cars used in The Godfather Trilogy - 12/14/10 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
10 points to SC on that '46 Plymouth. clap Also, the red ragtop just in front of the taxi on the lot is a '47 Kaiser. Also, Michael's Cad when he woos Kay in New Hampshire is a '47--not a '49. That's very important if you want to establish an accurate timelinen for Michael's return from Sicily. And, the Alfa Romeo 6C2500 is a '43, not a '46. I guess the poster on that site didn't know Alfa Romeo made cars during WWII.

They really screwed up the years on the II cars. The Hotel Mayflower Cad is a '55; the Chrysler New Yorker is a '58; the Plymouth taxi in Cuba is a '58 Plaza, not a '57 Belvedere; the Imperial Crown Ghia limo is a '59; the red-and-black Ford is a Custom 500. I'm surprised they didn't show the '57 Merc Montclair that took Michael around in Cuba, or the '56 Mercedes 300SL gullwing that Fredo drove up to Anthony's party in a deleted scene.

You can suggest them to correct those mistakes by posting a comment.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET