Home

Sonnys heir?

Posted By: Luciano Fanucci

Sonnys heir? - 12/24/05 03:06 PM

We all know that Sonny was A bad Don, but just say he was good and earned the family alot of oppertunity, but soon stepped down as Don, who would be his heir, who would replace him? Personally, I dont think he would choose Michael because I think Sonny thought Michael was "soft" and "defenceless".
Posted By: Enzo Scifo

Re: Sonnys heir? - 12/24/05 03:28 PM

Maybe one of his sons, Frank or Santino Jr.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Sonnys heir? - 12/24/05 03:37 PM

Initially Sonny probably thought that Mike was not made for the family business because Michael had always distanced himself from it. And Sonny, out of fear that his father would be mad with him for getting Michael involved, would not have chosen Michael as his heir.

But after Michael is hit by McClusky, and is sitting in the Don's office, he is the one who comes up with the plan, volunteering himself to kill both McClusky and Sollozo. It is at that moment when Michael lays out his plan, that Sonny realizes that Michael was more like Vito than enyone else.

Sonny laughs when Mike says that he'll kill Sollozo and McClusky. But it is not a laugh that is mocking Michael. It is a laugh that resonates Sonny's inward suspicions throughout the years that Michael was probably the tougest of the brothers, the one most like his father. Deep down Sonny always knew that Michael was the ballsy brother, the one that was as tough as nails in spirit. The one most like Vito.

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Sonnys heir? - 12/24/05 05:39 PM

As I've posted before:
I think Vito's plan was for Michael to "legitimize" the family by running for political office. As "Senator Corleone" or "Governor Corleone," Michael would work to legalize gambling (with the Corleones as the big power in legal gambling) and to funnel Vito's labor rackets money into his own political coffers. Sonny would be head of a diminishing "illegitimate" Corleone "olive oil business." Sonny would provide strong-arm and protection for Michael during his rise to political power, then gradually fade from the scene. Alas for all, Vito's misjudgment of Sollozzo turned the entire scenario around.
Luciano, Michael wasn't soft. You should heed Don Cardi's post, especially the part about Michael being the toughest. In the novel, Sonny acknowledged that point right after Michael volunteered to kill Sollozzo and McCluskey.

Re: Sonnys heir? - 12/24/05 06:18 PM

Yes, but he was soft at the start of the movie, you have to admit.

Re: Sonnys heir? - 12/24/05 09:39 PM

Originally posted by Luciano Fanucci:
Luciano, either you totally miss the whole point, or you don't bother to comprehend something when you read it.

You tell us why, with reasons and scenerios, you think that Michael was soft. Please give us some factual examples.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Sonnys heir? - 12/28/05 05:09 PM

Well, when he's going to the hospital to see Vito, Sonny sends some bodyguards with him, Hmm...I wonder why that is, oh yeah, BECAUSE HE'S SOFT!

Re: Sonnys heir? - 12/28/05 05:12 PM

Well, when he's going to the hospital to see Vito, Sonny sends some bodyguards with him, Hmm...I wonder why that is, oh yeah, BECAUSE HE'S SOFT!
Are you talking before Michael's jaw is broken, or after?

Don Cardi cool

Re: Sonnys heir? - 12/28/05 05:15 PM

Before.
Posted By: Don Chater

Re: Sonnys heir? - 12/28/05 05:20 PM

I don't think it could be Mike. If Santino took over, Mike would no longer have to persue his enemies. That could be left for Santino. Thus, Michael would never actually get into the action.

Re: Sonnys heir? - 12/28/05 05:20 PM

Bodyguards accompanied Michael to the hospital when he found Vito unguarded?

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: Sonnys heir? - 12/28/05 05:26 PM

In the beginning of the movie he had just gotten back from WAR. Was he soft or was he just expertly portrayed as a person who has a hard time getting back into society after being in a war (and winning medals).
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: Sonnys heir? - 12/28/05 05:43 PM

Luciano I seem to remember a cab dropping Mike off at the hospital, no bodyguards. He also went inside alone, if there were bodyguards there would have been no need for the Enzo and lighter scenes.
Posted By: Mr.MojoRisin

Re: Sonnys heir? - 12/29/05 12:15 AM

I hardly think Micheal was soft, hell he proved that by protecting is father, the diner hit, etc.
Posted By: Cuneo

Re: Sonnys heir? - 12/29/05 05:38 PM

Sonny acted on impulse - i think Michael thought about his decisions and made the most logical choices.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET