Home

Godfather III - Un-Don looking Michael Corleone

Posted By: MichaelCorleone1234

Godfather III - Un-Don looking Michael Corleone - 01/05/09 07:18 PM

Does anyone else think that in Godfather 3 Michael looked nothing like a don? I know he was old but he lacked that don-esque look that he had in 1 and 2 and the one Brando had when he was a similar age.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Godfather III - Un-Don looking Michael Corleone - 01/05/09 07:33 PM

Well, at that point he was trying very hard to be "legitimate," so if he looked Donn-ish beforehand, he'd certainly be trying to look different.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Godfather III - Un-Don looking Michael Corleone - 01/05/09 09:11 PM

It was the haircut. It was not donnish nor attractive on him. Of course, as TB points out, he was not necessarily trying to be donnish.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Godfather III - Un-Don looking Michael Corleone - 01/09/09 06:05 PM

Even Kay says she liked him better when he looked like a common mafia hood.
Posted By: goombah

Re: Godfather III - Un-Don looking Michael Corleone - 01/15/09 03:37 PM

I have to agree with Olivant. It was the haircut. Vincent wore his hair slicked back much like Michael in the first two films. Michael's hairstyle was reminiscent of Vito. That spikey hair in GFIII made Michael look like walked right out of a bad 1980s MTV video.

I would also add that Michael was too outspoken in the third film. Like his father, Michael always kept his true feelings quiet in the presence of others. The "old" Michael would have never made that joke about listening to Tony Bennett records, screamed at Vincent to "shut up," made confession, and he would not have had that conversation with Kay ("gimme the order!").
Posted By: olivant

Re: Godfather III - Un-Don looking Michael Corleone - 01/17/09 09:50 PM

Didn't want to start another thread, so ...

In one scene, Hamilton shouts "We had a deal." What deal? In a previous scene, the Bishop on behalf of the Vatican had pledged the Vatican's support for Michael's control of Immobiliere subject to the Pope's approval. The Bishop tells all in Rome that the Pope is gravely ill and this is just a brief delay. So, what is Hamilton shouting about since he knew that the Pope had to approve the sale of the Vatican's stake in Immobiliere.

Also, what "fleet" is Lucchese referring to?

Re: Godfather III - Un-Don looking Michael Corleone - 01/18/09 01:22 AM

Though this puts me in the position of rationalizing bad writing: ohwell
Probably Harrison's "we" is the Corleones with Archbishop Gilday, who assured him that he was confidently speaking for the Pope and whatever Board of Directors Lucchese and Kleinzig represented. Hence the "formality." If the Pope was being poisoned by Gilday and his conspirators, then, as Kleinzig said, "all bets are off," and Gilday would have gotten his bailout without having to make good on the pledge to hand over Immobiliare to Michael.

Lucchese's use of "fleet" is an awkward euphemism for control of Immobiliare's board: "We’ll gladly put you at the helm of our little fleet. But our ships, must all sail in the same direction." I inferred that "fleet" meant the various business interests of Immobiliare's board that may or may not have been included as part of what Gilday promised Michael. The line served no purpose other than for Puzo and FFC to try to inject some "fancy Old World idioms" tongue into a feeble script.

Re: Godfather III - Un-Don looking Michael Corleone - 01/22/09 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Lucchese's use of "fleet" is an awkward euphemism for control of Immobiliare's board: "We’ll gladly put you at the helm of our little fleet. But our ships, must all sail in the same direction." I inferred that "fleet" meant the various business interests of Immobiliare's board that may or may not have been included as part of what Gilday promised Michael. The line served no purpose other than for Puzo and FFC to try to inject some "fancy Old World idioms" tongue into a feeble script.

They also put the line in because the whole plot was so confusing no one would comprehend Dontomassino's identification of Luchese as the one person who had his feet in "both worlds,"
without Michael immediately repeating the line about ships sailing in the same direction.
Posted By: consiGliera

Re: Godfather III - Un-Don looking Michael Corleone - 01/28/09 01:39 AM

If you ask me, everyone turned out looking worse in GF 3. As if they all got a downgrade, except Connie maybe, who kind of rocks that "shady old shrew" style. One of the many things that always bothered me about GF 3 was the look, including costumes and styling. It was weak. And I´ve always wondered why. It´s astounding, since they basically had the same team working on it, and the first two movies are so visually stunning.

Ever since I saw that movie, I ask myself if it´s me, if it´s the stylists, or if something was seriously off with the fashion in that decade.

Oh, and yeah. Pacino´s hair looks CRAZY.

Re: Godfather III - Un-Don looking Michael Corleone - 01/29/09 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: consiGliera
If you ask me, everyone turned out looking worse in GF 3. As if they all got a downgrade, except Connie maybe, who kind of rocks that "shady old shrew" style. One of the many things that always bothered me about GF 3 was the look, including costumes and styling. It was weak. And I´ve always wondered why. It´s astounding, since they basically had the same team working on it, and the first two movies are so visually stunning.

Ever since I saw that movie, I ask myself if it´s me, if it´s the stylists, or if something was seriously off with the fashion in that decade.

Oh, and yeah. Pacino´s hair looks CRAZY.

Some of the styles echoed the late '70's ... glittery dresses, big hair on women, etc. Asw for Michael's hair, all I can think is that Senator Geary's comment about oily hair got to him. I believe around that time there was a commercial for some kind of men's hair product that proclaimed "the wet head is dead." Either that or Michael's barber suddenly found himself sleeping with the fishes.

Re: Godfather III - Un-Don looking Michael Corleone - 01/29/09 05:38 PM

Yes, the Fifties was the era of Brylcreem and Alberto V05. By the Seventies, the "wet look" was out and hairspray was in.
Posted By: Guiseppe Petri

Re: Godfather III - Un-Don looking Michael Corleone - 01/30/09 02:52 AM

he should have worn it the same way he did in Scent of a Woman
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET