Home

The Godfather soundtrack (and a personal story)

Posted By: Flora Corleone

The Godfather soundtrack (and a personal story) - 08/24/05 11:35 PM

here we go: I was listening to one of my Godfather's music cd's, and I couldn't help but realizing once more how magnificent this music is.
The beauty of every single theme, and the way they perfectly fit to each section of the movie is amazing. To me this music is a sheer masterpiece, and has always moved me deeply - since the firts time I heard it.

And I can still clearly remember this said "first time". it's a cute story, and I'd like to share it with you all, because it's one of the most beautiful recollections of my childhood.

I think I was six at that time, and I was with my mother in a toy shop to pick some Christmas' presents.
In that period I had started to take piano lessons, and I was quite obsessed with it (infact I never quit music since then, and it has later become my job).
I saw this tiny music box on a shelf, which had the shape of a piano, and I was of course all excited by it. I opened the box to hear the music, and it was "the love theme" from The Godfather.
I had - of course - no idea of what it was, and I didn't know anything about The Godfather at that time, but that music was so sad, and it moved me to such a deep level that I started crying and sobbing.

My mother found me in tears with this little box in my hands (she still smiles when she talks about it! ^^), and she closed the box, and put it back on the shelf.
I started crying louder because I really wanted that carillon so badly and at last she relented and she bought me the piano music box.

You can imagine my delight when, much later, I discovered what that music belonged to.
I still have it - I keep it on my piano - and it's one of my most precious treasures. That memory - and that music - has remained with me since then.

Actually, if I had to pick up a single theme now - from the GF' score - I don't think I would choose the love theme. It's wonderful, of course, but there are other tunes that, in my opinion, are even more beautiful.
I would be torn between "The waltz" and "the immigrant theme", with a slight preference for the waltz.

What about you? Which one of the GF music themes is your favourite?
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: The Godfather soundtrack (and a personal story) - 08/24/05 11:56 PM

That's very cute Flora. grin

If I had to choose, I couldn't. "Waltz", "A New Godfather", "Immigrant Theme", "Love Theme", "Finale", all beautiful. I couldn't choose, because Nino Rota and Carmine Coppola delivered an amazing score, which is arguably the greatest of all time.
Posted By: Michele Corleone

Re: The Godfather soundtrack (and a personal story) - 08/25/05 12:16 AM

My favorites are "The Immigrant" and "Murder of Don Fanucci".
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: The Godfather soundtrack (and a personal story) - 08/25/05 03:54 AM

Hi Flora! Nice story. smile I too love all of the music from GF. However there is something so intense about The Immigrant, that I'd have to choose that as my favorite.

TIS
Posted By: Peter_Clemenza

Re: The Godfather soundtrack (and a personal story) - 08/25/05 02:01 PM

My favourite track is The Godfather Waltz.
Posted By: Don Zadjali

Re: The Godfather soundtrack (and a personal story) - 08/25/05 02:27 PM

My favourite track is The Godfather Waltz too
smile
Posted By: Enzo Scifo

Re: The Godfather soundtrack (and a personal story) - 08/25/05 03:48 PM

What a shame I don't know the song-titles.
I don't even know what is meant by GF waltz.
I haven't found the money recently to buy the CD, and since downloading is illegal... (I tried but I didn't find anything on the internet wink )
Posted By: Joe Batters

Re: The Godfather soundtrack (and a personal story) - 08/25/05 05:26 PM

The soundtrack for GF II is wonderful I love the New Carpet song is so great

Joe Batters
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: The Godfather soundtrack (and a personal story) - 08/25/05 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
What a shame I don't know the song-titles.
I don't even know what is meant by GF waltz.
I haven't found the money recently to buy the CD, and since downloading is illegal... (I tried but I didn't find anything on the internet wink )
"The Godfather Waltz" is the song playing in The Godfather when Vito is dancing with Connie at the end of the wedding.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: The Godfather soundtrack (and a personal story) - 08/25/05 08:14 PM

Enzo,

I purchased my cd's on line thru Amazon I believe. I wasn't familiar at the time with the titles (except GF Waltz), at the time either. If I'm not mistaken, you can play portions of each song so you'll get an idea of what you're buying. wink

TIS
Posted By: Tony Love

Re: The Godfather soundtrack (and a personal story) - 08/25/05 08:31 PM

I liked the music being played during Connie's wedding (the Tarantella score). Some of the other music, "Manhatten Serenade" (played with Hagen visits Hollywood), and "I Have But One Heart" (sang by Johnny Fontane during the wedding) was also good listening.
Posted By: svsg

Re: The Godfather soundtrack (and a personal story) - 08/25/05 09:16 PM

The song at the very beginning of the movie. You see the paramount logo and the tune plays in the background, before even the Bonsera scene. The same tune however appears later in the movie and also in the other movies. Don't know what it is called, waltz??
Posted By: Enzo Scifo

Re: The Godfather soundtrack (and a personal story) - 08/25/05 09:31 PM

Thanks TIS, I'll keep it in mind.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET