Home

DVD News

Posted By: Paul Pisano

DVD News - 04/04/08 10:04 PM

repost from thedigitalbits.com

A number of readers have seen this online (and thanks to all those of you who sent the link in), so we decided that it's finally time to comment on the subject. The BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) has just cleared 84 minutes worth of special features for a little something it refers to as The Godfather Trilogy Restored 2008 Bonus Disc. Yes, you read that right - The Godfather. Restored.

We can, in fact, confirm that The Godfather Trilogy has indeed been restored, and that our very own Robert A. Harris was involved in the project - a project backed by director Francis Ford Coppola and even Steven Spielberg no less (you can read a bit more on that here). The BBFC notice means that Paramount is likely planning to being The Godfather Trilogy Restored to DVD (and possibly even Blu-ray Disc) later this year. Note that we're posting all this in The Rumor Mill today, because the DVD release - and indeed the restoration effort itself - hasn't officially been announced by Paramount yet. As such, we don't have any more information for you right now than what we're offering here. But when the studio gives us the okay, and takes the cloak of secrecy off the project, Robert assures us that he'll have lots to say about it all for you here at The Digital Bits. So for those of you wondering why Robert's Yellow Layer Failure column hasn't been updated as often in the last year or so, NOW you know why. Hey... some things are just more important.

Stay tuned!

Re: DVD News - 04/14/08 04:16 PM

http://thedigitalbits.com/

So you remember that Godfather restoration post we made in The Rumor Mill a couple weeks ago? Well... this morning brings interesting news on that front. It seems that Paramount's European arm has released official details of the DVD release of the restored trilogy there, and the title is now available for preorder at a number of retailers. The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration will contain all three films in the trilogy along with both new and old bonus material. It will arrive on 6/2 in the U.K. (priced at £29.99). The good news is that U.S. fans can almost certainly count on a DVD release as well, though of course Paramount Home Entertainment here in the U.S. hasn't yet officially announced the title, or even acknowledged that a restoration was undertaken. As for the possibility of a high-definition version, obviously the studio hasn't yet announced any new Blu-ray Disc releases either, though given this news from Europe, we would expect that the studio is going to have to break its silence on one or both subjects shortly.

In the meantime, the U.K. release will feature material recycled from the previous box set, along with new material as well. Recycled extras will include audio commentary by director Francis Ford Coppola on all three films, additional scenes, The Godfather: A Look Inside documentary, 5 featurettes (On Location with Dean Tavolarous, Gordon Willis on Cinematography, Music of The Godfather, The Godfather: Behind-the-Scenes 1971 and Puzo and Coppola on Screenwriting), storyboards and animatics, the Rogue's Gallery and The Family Tree features, the Acclaim & Response Gallery (including the Academy Award acceptance speeches), photo galleries, theatrical trailers and filmmaker bios. It's too early to say if it's everything from the original set, until we get more details from the studio. The new material includes 5 featurettes totaling nearly 75 minutes in all (Godfather World, The Masterpiece That Almost Wasn't, When the Shooting Stopped, Emulsional Rescue: Revealing The Godfather and The Godfather on the Red Carpet), 4 short films (Godfather vs. Godfather Part II, Cannoli, Riffing on the Riffing and Clemenza) and a hidden Easter egg. And while we're at it, here's a look at the cover art for the box set...

Posted By: J Geoff

Re: DVD News - 04/14/08 05:45 PM

THANK YOU!!

Re: DVD News - 06/09/08 03:32 PM

Here's something you Godfather fans might want to check out this morning: A column

over on Blocks and Files (a data storage news website) about the recently completed restorations of the films, done over at Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging. Of key note is this comment at the end:
http://www.blocksandfiles.com/article/5449

"The restoration effects are dramatic. The beautifully restored Godfather trilogy will be re-released in September, prompting, no doubt, hundreds of thousands of DVD sales and, hopefully, Blu-ray disk sales as well. Only with Blu-ray will the full richness of tone and detail in Coppola's masterpiece transfer to home screens. Perhaps this will be the Blu-ray offer that home movie screen viewers cannot refuse."

Indeed. We expect an official announcement from Paramount on this release very soon.
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: DVD News - 06/09/08 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul Pisano

..... Only with Blu-ray will the full richness of tone and detail in Coppola's masterpiece transfer to home screens. Perhaps this will be the Blu-ray offer that home movie screen viewers cannot refuse."

Posted By: MiniMafiaBoss

Re: DVD News - 06/09/08 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Just Lou
[quote=Paul Pisano]
..... Only with Blu-ray will the full richness of tone and detail in Coppola's masterpiece transfer to home screens. Perhaps this will be the Blu-ray offer that home movie screen viewers cannot refuse."

Blu Ray is definately coming my way!
Posted By: Don Schulini

Re: DVD News - 06/23/08 05:02 PM

Today I bumped into the DVD release of the Godfather films, The Coppola Restoration. I have a little question about it, is it worth buying the Coppola Restoration DVD box if I already have the good old DVD box?
Posted By: SC

Re: DVD News - 06/23/08 05:11 PM

I guess it depends on whether or not you want to spend the money for the new "extras" that are included. The quote below points out what those extras are:

The new material includes 5 featurettes totaling nearly 75 minutes in all (Godfather World, The Masterpiece That Almost Wasn't, When the Shooting Stopped, Emulsional Rescue: Revealing The Godfather and The Godfather on the Red Carpet), 4 short films (Godfather vs. Godfather Part II, Cannoli, Riffing on the Riffing and Clemenza) and a hidden Easter egg.
Posted By: Don Schulini

Re: DVD News - 06/23/08 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: SC
I guess it depends on whether or not you want to spend the money for the new "extras" that are included. The quote below points out what those extras are:

The new material includes 5 featurettes totaling nearly 75 minutes in all (Godfather World, The Masterpiece That Almost Wasn't, When the Shooting Stopped, Emulsional Rescue: Revealing The Godfather and The Godfather on the Red Carpet), 4 short films (Godfather vs. Godfather Part II, Cannoli, Riffing on the Riffing and Clemenza) and a hidden Easter egg.

Ok, but the quality difference of the films itself aren't that big then I guess?

Re: DVD News - 06/30/08 03:50 PM

Well... we've known that this news was coming for months now, but we're thrilled today to say that it's FINALLY official: Paramount has just announced the DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration Collection on both DVD and high-definition Blu-ray Disc on 9/23! The 5-disc DVD set (SRP $72.99) and 4-disc Blu-ray set (SRP $119.99) will contain all three films in the series, along with an archive of the previous DVD extras and all-new bonus material as well (the new material will be in high-def on Blu-ray). The remastered films will also be available individually on DVD only (SRP $19.99 each). And let me tell you... this new restoration looks simply FANTASTIC.

Remember last year, when Jahnke and I had that amazing movie experience, except we were sworn to secrecy about it, but we promised that you would all get to experience it yourselves eventually? THIS is what we were talking about. We've seen the first two restored films (a restoration personally supervised by The Digital Bits' own Robert A. Harris), presented on the big screen. The result is just breathtaking. You may recall that there was a lot of talk, back when these films were first released on DVD, that the image quality was underwhelming, and how sad it was that the films had deteoriated so badly. Simply put, they've now been saved. The films haven't looked this good since their original theatrical release. If you're a fan of The Godfather Trilogy, trust me - you're going to LOVE these discs.

We should note that the restoration effort will soon be the topic of one of Robert's new Yellow Layer Failure columns here at The Bits, so be sure to watch for it.

Here's a look at the final U.S. packaging for the DVD version (now available for pre-order on Amazon.com). The art is close - but not the same - as the European packaging we've posted previously. You'll also find Paramount's official press release below. We'll post the final Blu-ray art as soon as it's available. Here you go...

DIRECTOR FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA'S EPIC TRILOGY
DEBUTS ON DVD AND BLU-RAY IN ALL
NEWLY-REMASTERED VERSIONS

THE GODFATHER: THE COPPOLA RESTORATION

Cinematic Classics Return to their Original Pristine Glory with All-New Special Features

Must-Own Collections Arrive September 23, 2008

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (June 30, 2007) - More than three decades after they won the Academy Award® for Best Picture, director Francis Ford Coppola's classic films The Godfather and The Godfather, Part II will once again be enjoyed by audiences as they originally were meant to be seen, thanks to a meticulous restoration by Paramount Pictures, overseen by Coppola himself. On September 23, 2008, both fully restored films will debut on DVD and Blu-ray, along with a newly remastered version of The Godfather Part III, to be included as part of The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration Collection. All three films will be available individually or in a five-DVD collection or four-disc Blu-ray collection, which are loaded with a host of all-new special features.

The Godfather and The Godfather, Part II underwent extensive frame-by-frame examination and restoration utilizing state-of-the-art digital technology in this historic preservation effort, which required more than a year to complete. Robert A. Harris of the Film Preserve supervised the restoration under the direction of Coppola and cinematographer, Gordon Willis. Harris' restoration credits include Lawrence of Arabia, Spartacus, Vertigo and Rear Window among others.

The new special features created by Kim Aubry, founder of Zoetrope Aubry Productions, explores the complexities of the restoration process and provides new insights and perspectives about how the film almost didn't come to pass as we know it. The Masterpiece That Almost Wasn't relates the unlikely events, intrigue, allegiances and luck that put together the unknown director with the "unwanted" cast and contains interviews with most of the living players and many of the film' admirers. Other featurettes include �when the shooting stopped and Godfather World, which take a look at The Godfather's influence on popular culture today. Each film includes a commentary by Coppola.

THE GODFATHER: The Coppola Restoration DVD Collection

The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration DVD Collection, enhanced for 16:9 TVs, with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 5.1 Surround and English Mono (The Godfather and The Godfather, Part II) and English, French and Spanish subtitles. The DVD disc breakdown is as follows:

Disc 1:

- The Godfather feature film
- Commentary by director Francis Ford Coppola

Disc 2:

- The Godfather, Part II feature film

Disc 3:

- The Godfather, Part III feature film

Disc 4: (previously released special features)

- Making of The Godfather
- Additional Scenes
- Filming Locations
- The Corleone Family Tree
- The Music of The Godfather
- The Godfather Historical Timeline
- Profiles on the Filmmakers
- Photo Galleries and Storyboards

Disc 5: (new special features)

- Godfather World
- The Masterpiece That Almost Wasn't
- ...when the shooting stopped
- Emulsional Rescue: Revealing The Godfather
- The Godfather on the Red Carpet
- Four Short Films on The Godfather
--- The Godfather vs. The Godfather, Part II
--- Cannoli
--- Riffing on the Riffing
--- Clemenza

THE GODFATHER: The Coppola Restoration Blu-ray Collection

THE GODFATHER: The Coppola Restoration Blu-ray four-disc set is presented in 1080p high definition with English 5.1 Dolby TrueHD, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and English Mono (except The Godfather: Part III) and English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. The following special features are presented in high definition as noted:

Disc 1:

- The Godfather feature film

Disc 2:

- The Godfather, Part II feature film

Disc 3:

- The Godfather, Part III feature film

Disc 4:

- Godfather World (HD)
- The Masterpiece That Almost Wasn't (HD)
- ...when the shooting stopped (HD)
- Emulsional Rescue: Revealing The Godfather (HD)
- The Godfather on the Red Carpet (HD)
- Four Short Films on The Godfather
--- The Godfather vs. The Godfather, Part II (HD)
--- Cannoli (HD)
--- Riffing on the Riffing (HD)
--- Clemenza (HD)
- The Family Tree
- Crime Organization Chart
- Connie and Carlo's Wedding Album

2001 DVD Archive:

-Behind the Scenes
-- The Godfather Family: A Look Inside
-- On Location
-- Francis Coppola's Notebook
-- The Music of the Godfather
-- Coppola & Puzo on Screenwriting
-- Gordon Willis on Cinematography
-- Storyboards from The Godfather, Part II
-- Storyboards from The Godfather, Part III
-- The Godfather: Behind the Scenes 1971
- The Filmmakers
-- Francis Ford Coppola
-- Mario Puzo
-- Gordon Willis
-- Dean Tavoularis
-- Nino Rota
-- Carmine Coppola
- Additional Scenes
- Acclaim & Response
- Trailers (HD)
- Photo Gallery
- Rogues' Gallery

About Paramount Home Entertainment

Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment. PPC is a unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands. PHE is responsible for the worldwide sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment products on behalf of various parties including: Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks Studios, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, CBS, PBS and Hasbro and for providing home entertainment fulfillment services for DreamWorks Animation Home Entertainment.

---

Re: DVD News - 06/30/08 05:47 PM

Thank you!!! cool
Posted By: Mignon

Re: DVD News - 06/30/08 05:51 PM

Now I know what the Col. is gonna buy me for a early anniversary present. clap

Thanks for the good news.

Re: DVD News - 06/30/08 08:55 PM

How's about a look at the cover art for The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration Blu-ray Collection? This comes straight from the studio, but we suspect there will be one minor change on the final version - that DVD logo on the spine will be a Blu-ray logo. In any case, here you go...

Posted By: jhherome

Re: DVD News - 06/30/08 11:12 PM

wohooo! i have this copy already..and its a mass! recommended!

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 03:05 AM

Originally Posted By: jhherome

No, you don't already have it. Stop it.

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 03:31 AM

yeah.i have this lol ..there are tons of features and easter eggs etc etc

u want me to take a picture with me handling my boxset dvd:))

anyway how expect me to post that pictures and video without the dvd
don't you know me? don't you know that that's an impossibility?
That I'd use all my power to happened

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 05:04 AM

u want me to take a picture with me handling my boxset dvd:))

Yes, that's exactly what I want you to do.

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 05:48 AM

I just got aroused.

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 05:49 AM

"Mini" is that you? rolleyes lol

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 05:55 AM

I just got aroused.

lol

And if he actually comes through, so will I! lol

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 05:57 AM

My Blu-ray pre-order is in. cool

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 06:03 AM

My Blu-ray pre-order is in. cool

Bitch! I didn't link to Amazon Blu-ray yet! tongue (cuz it's not there yet frown )

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 06:14 AM

confused

You mean this: Amazon.com

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 06:16 AM

Y'know what? The Amazon webmaster "tools" are worthless then... sorry... Thanks! wink

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 06:21 AM

Would it benefit you if I cancel my pre-order, and order through the banner? wink

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 06:24 AM

Of course wink

...despite my apparent retardness... ohwell

It's still Amazon, right? Cuz otherwise what else would it be?? wink

... I pre-ordered mine.. and free shipping! Can't wait! cool

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 06:29 AM

No problem.
...Yup. I order almost everything on Amazon. The only thing that sucks is Amazon now charges tax. ohwell

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 06:31 AM

WHAT?? Last I heard they refused to charge tax!! WTF??

...guess it is good to be in NJ for once? whistle

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 06:33 AM

Effective June 1, 2008, Amazon.com LLC will begin collecting sales tax on items shipped to destinations within the State of New York as New York has enacted a new law requiring out-of-state sellers to collect and remit sales tax based on advertising. Amazon has filed a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of this provision. However, as required by the law, we must still begin collecting New York sales tax beginning on that date.

ohwell

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 06:34 AM

Time to move back to Jersey. wink

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 06:41 AM

Wow, yeah... I heard of that (I have a client on Long Island, let alone the ones in NJ)... it makes me sick to my stomach! ohwell

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 06:45 AM

I just bought a new camera last week from "Abe's of Maine", ironically located in Edison NJ. They didn't charge me tax. Go figure.
....time to test it out over at the "Corleone Mall" lol

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 06:52 AM

lol

The "Corleone Mall" is Amazon... now apparently pissing me off... but I still gotta check...

...but I think MobPosters.com is still cool... whistle

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 06:59 AM

I think they're sick of me over at the "Corleone's". Every time I buy a new camera, I go over there. lol

I gotta get some sleep. I'm going to A/C tomorrow. I have a free room that God only knows how much it is really going to cost me. rolleyes

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 07:19 AM

what the>?

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 07:32 AM

anyway here it is..the grand champion of all time!

please write a cooment and reaction on it..especially on the arrangement and beautification of my desktop..hehe.. fee free to comment it. salud!

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 02:08 PM

Very nice. What's the "15" mean?

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 02:25 PM

Thats our rating system - you have R for adult film etc.

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 02:27 PM

Doh! Makes sense...

jhherome - What Region are those discs?

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 02:29 PM

My Godfather Trilogy says 18. They must have resubmitted it.

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 03:57 PM

15 means above 15 years old

what is the heck "REGION"? is

well it says region 2 lol..doesnt make sense..what important is..it works to play with my dvd rom

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 03:58 PM

what the>?

Corleone Mall

Congrats on being the first to have the DVDs. If you had Blu-ray, I'd really be jealous. smile

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 05:01 PM

i have pre-ordered it will be delivered on oct 3 hehe

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 05:18 PM

mad
OK, so how did you get the pics? wink

Re: DVD News - 07/01/08 11:50 PM

i have pre-ordered the blu ray it will be delivered on oct 3 hehe

Re: DVD News - 07/02/08 05:23 AM

...but the standard DVDs you have were hand-delivered to you, in the Philippines, by Coppola himself... understood. rolleyes

Re: DVD News - 07/02/08 06:31 AM

yes it was hand by copola to me by a ukranian..how did u know that im in the philippines..

Re: DVD News - 07/02/08 06:32 AM

and how do i make my self RED as u are.. i likke 100k too

Re: DVD News - 07/02/08 06:35 AM

how did u know that im in the philippines..

Interpol is tracking down all early released copies of this DVD.
Posted By: Santino Brasi

Re: DVD News - 07/02/08 06:41 AM

are you joking or what... I can't tell anymore

knowing you, you are probably serious

Re: DVD News - 07/02/08 07:23 AM

lol interpol thats awsome..i like it

Re: DVD News - 07/02/08 12:47 PM

Also, here's the final revised Godfather Blu-ray Disc cover, straight from Paramount. The left image is the revised outer slipcase art for the Blu-ray (note the correct logo on the spine) and the right image is the Blu-ray case itself (note that you can now pre-order the title at Amazon, though the retailer currently has the wrong artwork posted)...

Enjoy.

Re: DVD News - 07/02/08 12:51 PM

Our Godfather Blu Ray may look different to that one!

Re: DVD News - 08/22/08 01:10 PM

I noticed that the particulars for the dvd releases state that the films are in. the 2:40:1. Is this different from the first two dvd releases? I wish they would release the chronological novel for television on dvd.
Posted By: ibarramedia

Re: DVD News - 08/25/08 05:19 AM

You want to get the European remastered version of the Godfather Trilogy, if you have a multi region dvd and blu-ray machine.

Re: DVD News - 09/17/08 08:22 PM

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewshd/godfathercoppolarest.html#god

The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration
1972-1990 (2008) - Paramount
Released on Blu-ray Disc on September 23th, 2008

Dolby TrueHD

Film Ratings (I/II/III): A/A+/B-
Video (1-20): 19.5
Audio (1-20): 18.5
Extras: A+

All right... I'm going to say three things right up front about this title. First, I guarantee that some yahoo with a DVD review website on the Net is going to crack this case open, spin the discs for five minutes each, and then say that the films look like crap and the set sucks. Second, this person will be wrong in the extreme, and will have just revealed themselves as both a non-expert and an idiot.

Third and finally, Paramount's The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration is, in my opinion, the current favorite for best Blu-ray Disc release of 2008... at the very least in terms of classic film presentation and restoration in high-def, if not overall. Yes, it's that good.

Now, we've reviewed these films before here at The Bits, so I'm not going to get into a discussion of the films themselves. Suffice it to say, these are among the most important and influential American films ever made, and if you're any kind of self-respecting film enthusiast, you already know that. What you may not have known, however, was just how badly these films had deteoriated over the years. The original negatives are in disastrous condition, which meant that if a new restoration wasn't done now, the first film (and possibly the second as well) would simply have been lost to us in any kind of quality presentation. Thankfully, a couple years ago, director Francis Ford Coppola contacted Steven Spielberg (then newly partnered with Paramount and Viacom) to see if Spielberg might be able to use his clout to help save the films. This he did, and so a complete physical and digital restoration was eventually done under the supervision of our very own Robert A. Harris and his Film Preserve (with the help of many talented artists - and artists they are, believe me). To make a very long and complex story short, the best photochemical elements from around the world were gathered, allowing the films to be reconstructed literally piece by piece. The footage was then scanned in 4K resolution so that print damage could be repaired digitally and the original color-timing could be recreated precisely. The result is that the films have not only been rebuilt and saved, they've been restored to quality as good or better than the original theatrical presentations - quality consulted upon and approved by both Coppola and cinematographer Gordon Willis. The bonus of all this effort, is this new Blu-ray Disc release, which captures the films in their most pure and most perfect presentation quality to date (particularly for home viewing), and which accordingly belongs in the collection of EVERY serious film aficionado.

Now... I've seen these films projected theatrically a number of times over the years. But I had NEVER seen them looking as good as they do now. Last year, Adam and I had the good fortune to see the newly-restored Godfather and Godfather, Part II projected in 2K digital at the Ross Theatre on the Warner lot (where much of the restoration work was done by the good folks at MPI). It was a jaw-dropping experience. So I can tell you from firsthand experience that these Blu-rays capture exactly the essence of that experience.

Fans will know that Willis worked very carefully to give these films a particular look. They have a certain grain texture, the color palette is washed with a specific "brassy yellow" patina, the whites are a hair overblown, the blacks are crushed such that there's little detail in them. All of this was by design. Willis wanted the films to have a certain look and feel, reminiscent in many ways of an old photograph. This is exactly what's been captured on Blu-ray - the films just as Willis and Coppola meant for them to look. What this also means, of course, is that these discs don't have "The Look and Sound of Perfect." If you buy these discs expecting quality that's like looking out a window, you're going to be disappointed. You're going to see light grain and lots of it. You're going to see some shots that aren't as sharp as you're used to in films like... say... Wall-E. You're going to see subdued colors and shadows with very little detail (so you MUST watch these discs in a completely darkened room to enjoy the films properly). You're going to hear Dolby TrueHD audio that's largely front-biased, with only light and atmospheric use of the surrounds. But let me tell you, while this might not be PERFECT video and audio on Blu-ray, it damn sure is perfectly RIGHT. The experience of The Godfather on Blu-ray is simply a revelation, and I'll guarantee that the vast majority of you have NEVER see these films at this high level of quality before.

As if the restored, high-definition image quality wasn't enough to justify this set's purchase, Paramount has seen fit to include a great batch of bonus material as well, including EVERY SINGLE EXTRA THAT WAS ON THE PREVIOUS DVD COLLECTION BOX SET. You get all three audio commentaries by Coppola. You get all the deleted scenes. You get all the featurettes, all the storyboards and the filmmaker bios. You get the Family Tree, you get the photo galleries. You even get all four Easter eggs (in roughly the same place they were on the DVD set) AND a new one as well. Plus you get the trailers, now presented in HD. That's just for starters - and keep in mind, all of that material was pretty awesome in its own right.

But there's newly-produced material here too, exclusive to this Blu-ray release, all of it in full HD - something like 2 hours worth of new featurettes in all, including new interviews with Coppola, Willis, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and many other filmmakers, technical people and more. The Masterpiece That Almost Wasn't (30 mins) examines the history of the production and how, as you might guess, it almost never came to be. Godfather World (11 mins) features filmmakers, actors and others discussing the impact of the film. When the Shooting Stopped (14 mins) features stories from the editing room and post production by those who were involved. The best of the new material, in my opinion, is Emulsional Rescue: Revealing The Godfather (19 mins) in which Harris and others talk about the process and the effort involved in restoring these films. There's a ton of interesting information here on the subject of restoration, all well explained and illustrated. Of less interest is The Godfather on the Red Carpet (4 mins) in which various actors and celebrities comment on the films. And the "four short films" (The Godfather vs. The Godfather, Part II, Cannoli, Riffing on the Riffing and Clemenza) are basically just short bits of interview footage that didn't really fit anywhere else - interesting stories, anecdotes, etc. (They're not actually self-contained films in their own right, just so you know.) Also newly-included (if unremarkable) are a "wedding album" with about a dozen photos taken on set during Connie and Carlo's wedding from the first film, as well as a Crime Organization Chart that allows you to read the FBI rap sheets on each of the key members of the Corleone crime organization. Finally, you get a liner notes booklet that's stuck to the back of the slipcase with that weird rubbery glue that isn't really glue. Oddly, it's just slightly too big to actually fit INTO the slipcase, but I solved that problem by trimming the top of the booklet just slightly with a pair of scissors. (Once you do that, it tucks into the case just fine.) The bottom line of all this - what you really need to know - is that the old extras were fantastic and they're all here, and most (if not quite all) of the new extras are great too, making what was already a fantastic set just that much better.

People often ask me, "Why Blu-ray?" Well, folks... THIS is why. Sets like The Godfather (and last year's Close Encounters and Blade Runner sets) are EXACTLY why serious film fans should upgrade to Blu-ray. The very best thing about this format, in my opinion, is not its ability to show off the latest eye-candy blockbusters in total perfection. No, the best thing about Blu-ray is its ability to show you films that you've loved, in some cases for your ENTIRE life, in the kind of quality you've NEVER seen them in before. The kind of quality that was only ever available in a handful of the very best theatres when the films were first released. If you love the cinema, Blu-ray releases like this are a revelation, that serve to expand that love and appreciation even more. And isn't that, after all, what home video formats like DVD and Blu-ray are all about? The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration is a jewel, and should be regarded - along with Warner's How the West Was Won on Blu-ray - as a new benchmark for the presentation of classic films in high-definition.

I'll tell you, it's days like this that I really love my job.

Bill Hunt, Editor
billhunt@thedigitalbits.com
Posted By: Mignon

Re: DVD News - 09/17/08 10:04 PM

I seen commercials for this on TV several times already. I know what the Col. is gonna get me for my anniversary.

Re: DVD News - 09/17/08 11:00 PM

One more week for the Blu-ray release! grin
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: DVD News - 09/21/08 06:46 PM

From today's NY Post.

'GODFATHER' REBORN
A RESTORED CLASSIC YOU CAN'T REFUSE

September 21, 2008

IT may be a "family" thing, but Talia Shire likes comparing her brother to Michelangelo. At least when it comes to restoring his most celebrated film, "The Godfather."

When the actress, sister of Francis Ford Coppola and portrayer of Connie Corleone Rizzi, first saw the "The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration," available on DVD and Blu-ray on Tuesday, it reminded her of another renowned work of art.

"Remember when they cleaned the Sistine Chapel ceiling, and you saw what the palette really was?" she says. "Francis is overjoyed. He worked with [cinematographer] Gordon Willis on this operatic palette of colors. We have to remember that these were amazing colors and shadows, and they spoke to the themes that were in 'The Godfather.' "

"The Coppola Restoration" is a multi-disc set featuring a meticulous, frame-by-frame digital restoration of the first two "Godfather" films, as well as a remastered version of "Part III" and two discs of extras, many of which are new.

The project took Coppola and Willis more than a year, as the negatives to the first two films had worn out over time, dulling the "brassy yellow" hue that had been an integral part of the film's highly acclaimed retro look. Compared to the 2001 version, the difference is stark, with the colors on the restored version appearing deeper, more vibrant and expressive.

The new extras include "Godfather World," which highlights the film's influence on pop culture, from "The Sopranos" to "South Park," and two new documentaries, "The Masterpiece That Almost Wasn't" and "When the Shooting Stopped," which shed light on the struggles Coppola faced in getting the film made.

Coppola was a last-resort hire, after veteran directors such as Arthur Penn and Elia Kazan turned down offers. Once on board, every day was a trial. Paramount bristled at the young director's every decision, including his choice for the young Michael Corleone. They wanted WASPy Robert Redford for the role instead of a relative unknown named Al Pacino.

"Al had gotten a big award off-Broadway," Shire recalls. "From an actor's point of view, Al Pacino was the Broadway actor. He wasn't some unknown. So it was just a question of helping the studio see him not only in the role, but as a potential movie star."

Even after filming began, Coppola's job was on the line until he filmed the murder of a rival gangster and his police-captain muscle.

"He was always worried the first two weeks that he would be fired. I didn't realize how close to the truth that was," Shire says. "But then you get those two weeks in, and all of those dailies start looking unique and extraordinary."

By the end, though, all involved could only marvel at what they had been part of.

"This was an extraordinary filmmaking experience," says Shire. "You felt everyone on that set were great artists, and you could see everyone hitting their marks in a new way. There was this wonderful feeling that we were growing and learniing. It'll never happen again."

Re: DVD News - 09/23/08 11:30 AM

grin grin grin grin
Interesting that for some reason the Blu-ray version is $1 cheaper than the DVD.

The following items have been shipped to you by Amazon.com:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):

1 The Godfather Collection -... $61.95

Shipped via USPS

Re: DVD News - 09/23/08 01:17 PM

Yeah, that's odd!

When was yours shipped? I got my notice on Sunday, but it's not scheduled to arrive until tomorrow. (I used the free shipping option)

So I'll be over tonight to watch it in HD tongue

Re: DVD News - 09/23/08 01:30 PM

I got the notice yesterday. So you may get it before me. wink

Re: DVD News - 09/23/08 03:12 PM

grin grin grin grin
Interesting that for some reason the Blu-ray version is $1 cheaper than the DVD.

That is weird, but it's only online for some reason. I'm going out this afternoon to pick mine up, so I've been shopping for the best price on the Internet. Best Buy, Barnes and Noble, Borders and Circuit City are all charging $38-$40 for the dvds and $60-$62 for the Blu Ray.

Re: DVD News - 09/23/08 08:36 PM

WTF? I paid $63 for the DVD set at Amazon. But got it today, and can't wait to check it out! cool

Re: DVD News - 09/23/08 10:07 PM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff

WTF? I paid $63 for the DVD set at Amazon. But got it today, and can't wait to check it out! cool

I paid $38.39 + tax at the Borders in Columbus Circle earlier this afternoon. You can also get free delivery, but I didn't want to wait, being that I was going into Manhattan anyway.

Here's the link: Godfather Restoration DVDs

Re: DVD News - 09/23/08 10:50 PM

We now know how Clemenza died!

Sure, we know why Castellano didn't appear in GF2 -- FFC wouldn't let his girl have final say on his lines -- but from the horse's mouth:

Click to reveal..
Originally Posted By: Francis Coppola
"Let's just assume he died of natural causes..."

I don't necessarily like that explanation, but it is what it is... wink

The special features are pretty good - I'm about to start Disc 2...

Re: DVD News - 09/23/08 10:55 PM

Well that took a lot of imagination on FFC's part. lol

Re: DVD News - 09/23/08 10:59 PM

The special features are pretty good - I'm about to start Disc 2...

Never mind - the 2nd disc of bonus content is basically the same as in the DVD Collection set.

The stupid idiots also mislabeled the 2 discs.

DISC 4 says "2001 Archival Supplements"
DISC 5 says "All-New 2008 Supplements"

It's the opposite. rolleyes

Re: DVD News - 09/23/08 11:09 PM

It's the opposite.

Same in mine.

The picture quality is somewhat better than the old DVD set (but not exceptional). I don't have HD so MAYBE that has something to do with it.

Re: DVD News - 09/23/08 11:16 PM

The picture quality is somewhat better than the old DVD set (but not exceptional).

I chaptered through the first disc and didn't really notice a striking difference. In fact, it looked a bit washed out in spots. I assume it's intentional. I'll have to take some side-by-side snapshots to compare them when I get some time... but I'll be pissed if I basically spent $62 for 87 minutes of new features. lol But the main intent, of course, was to restore the film itself, which I applaud them for!

Can't wait 'til JL lets us know how the Blu-Ray version came out.

Re: DVD News - 09/23/08 11:19 PM

It's the opposite.

Same in mine.

Same here. Must be a manufacturing/packaging error

Re: DVD News - 09/23/08 11:30 PM

I'm hoping it's here tomorrow. We'll see.

....I just checked the tracking number, and it's in NJ. So I should have it tomorrow. smile

Re: DVD News - 09/23/08 11:48 PM

If you ordered from Amazon, keep an eye on the price. If they lower it within 30 days, they'll credit you the difference if you contact them. With other places selling it $20 cheaper, it will probably be lowered shortly.
Posted By: Sopranorleone

Re: DVD News - 09/24/08 12:47 AM

I ordered the restoration on blu-ray from amazon too; they said it'll arrive by Saturday. I know what I'm doing this weekend!

Re: DVD News - 09/24/08 01:03 PM

cool grin

Greetings from Amazon.com.

You saved $18.00 with Amazon.com's Pre-order Price Guarantee!

The price of the item(s) decreased after you ordered them, and we gave you the lowest price.

The following title(s) decreased in price:

The Godfather Collection - Four-Disc Coppola Restoration (The Godfather / The Godfather Part II / The Godfather Part III) [Blu-ray]
Price on order date: $79.95
Price charged at shipping: $61.95
Lowest price before release date: $61.95
Quantity: 1
Total Savings: $18.00

$18.00 is your total savings under our Pre-order Price Guarantee.

-----------------------------------------------

Thanks for shopping at Amazon.com, and we hope to see you again soon.
Posted By: pacino princess

Re: DVD News - 09/24/08 01:15 PM

pardon my ignorance but,,
is it worth buying the blu-ray set or the hi-def set. And also pardon my ignorance if they are the same thing.
i have the one they released like 2 yrs ago, and I want to get the new one, but which set??

(oh, btw, i dont have a blue ray dvd player yet, and my tv kinda sucks)
Posted By: pacino princess

Re: DVD News - 09/24/08 01:21 PM

nevermind!! found my answers =)

Re: DVD News - 09/24/08 10:33 PM

Holy Crap!!

Joel Gibbs just called me and he has tickets for the restored FILM screening at the Ritz 16 theater in South Jersey (by Voorhees) at 8pm tonight!! GOD I gotta move my ass if I'm gonna make it -- here's hoping!!

Re: DVD News - 09/24/08 10:34 PM

Cool!!!

Fly, and enjoy!

Re: DVD News - 09/25/08 11:18 PM

(The above about seeing the restored film on the big screen is continued here)

Now get a load of this! In the spirit of profiteering...

I'm at Wal-Mart today and find even more reasons to spend money on the restoration DVDs! Apparently Wal-Mart has exclusive versions of all three films sold individually with "lenticular" (holographic) covers and The Godfather Theme Ringtone. Of course! whistle But at least they were only $13 apiece so it wasn't that terrible. But another $40 down on something I already overpaid for! lol

It's hard to see here, but here's one of the covers. On the right side of the portrait, there are little scenes in the distance "behind" the face and the logo...

I have no idea why they made it seem the "New 5.1 Surround Mix" was part of the Wal-Mart exclusive, but hey, maybe they'll get a few more bucks out of it. whistle
Posted By: Rollo_Tomasi

Re: DVD News - 09/26/08 01:27 AM

Good thing about the new set: Futureshop in Canada offers a steel-case version which is nice although its about as thick as a normal dvd case.

Bad thing I noticed. Right after Michael shoots Solazzo (sp?) and the police officer in the restaurant (about the 1:29 mark) and is leaving the restaurant, the frame shakes noticeably for a second or two.

Anyone else notice this? Was it in there before and I missed it?

Or is this another thing to put on top of the mislabeled bonus discs?

Re: DVD News - 10/04/08 07:07 AM

OMG, the Whoring continues!!! lol

The restored (GF1, GF2) / remastered (GF3) films are available for purchase via iTunes at $9.99 apiece -- that's another $30 (and 5.85GB of space) if I want immediate access to all three films anywhere on my iPhone! How much do I have to dish out for these (same) films ??? lol

Speaking of iTunes, apparently they have a "The Godfather Collection: The Hollywood Studio Orchestra And Singers" music album available with 21 tracks from all 3 films -- but it's gotten terrible reviews (all 3 of them). That's another $9.99 if anyone's interested in hearing someone other than Nino Rota do the score. whistle (The previews don't sound terrible, but hey, if the real Trilogy soundtrack is available, why purchase this?)

© 2024 GangsterBB.NET