Home

Definitely Clemenza

Posted By: Don Cardi

Definitely Clemenza - 06/28/05 12:45 AM

Several weeks ago there was a debate as to who said " Luca Brazi Sleeps With The Fishes." Some said Tessio, and even Abe Vigoda was quoted as saying that it was his line. But I watched GF today and I can positively tell you that it was Clemenza who said the line.

http://www.moviesounds.com/godfathr/fishes.wav

Don Cardi
Posted By: goombah

Re: Definitely Clemenza - 06/28/05 01:20 AM

Yep, I posted the same topic last year. I heard Vigoda on a sports-talk show (Tony Bruno, I believe) claiming he said the line. Old Abe must be having memory problems b/c that is positively Clemenza's voice. The novel has Hagen say it.

DC, I'm not picking on you b/c you are not the only one who does it on these boards. But since your post had it misspelled under the topic heading, I want to point out that you spell the word D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y. Thank you, I feel better now.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Definitely Clemenza - 06/28/05 02:41 AM

Like many Board contributors, I've watched the GF at least 100 times. I was never unsure about Clemenza speaking that line. The pattern of Tessio's and Clemenza's voices are significantly different as is their intonation, tonal quality, voice pitch, and accent.
Posted By: Don Zadjali

Re: Definitely Clemenza - 06/28/05 03:34 AM

Fat Clemenza...

smile and I always thought it was Tessio... smile
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Definitely Clemenza - 06/28/05 09:34 AM

I said Clemenza has well smile
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Definitely Clemenza - 06/28/05 12:46 PM

Originally posted by goombah:

DC, I'm not picking on you b/c you are not the only one who does it on these boards. But since your post had it misspelled under the topic heading, I want to point out that you spell the word D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y. Thank you, I feel better now.
Thank you Mr. Kotter! lol wink

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Definitely Clemenza - 06/28/05 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Don Cardi:
...I watched GF today and I can positively tell you that it was Clemenza who said the line...
I'm afraid my computer here at work doesn't posess the technology needed to open your link.

But I will say that even without it, I could and did ALWAYS positively tell you that it was Clemenza who said the line.

tongue
Apple

Re: Definitely Clemenza - 06/28/05 01:46 PM

Originally posted by Don Cardi:
Originally posted by goombah:
[b]
Thank you Mr. Kotter! lol wink

Don Cardi cool [/b]
"You're welcome. Sincerely, Epstein's mother!" grin :
Posted By: Donfanucci

Re: Definitely Clemenza - 06/28/05 06:57 PM

I knew it was Clemenza. I remember the line something like this: Sonny: What the hell is that? Clemenza: Its a sicilian message, it means Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes.
Posted By: The Dr. who fixed Lucy

Re: Definitely Clemenza - 06/28/05 11:32 PM

Stands to reason that it was Clemenza. Think about it - at that point, Sonny was hungry for blood and probably suspicious about everyone. Tessio was the clever one, Clemenza not so.

Now, a generic-looking bullet vest with fish is sent to the Corleone mall. Instantly, Clemenza pipes up that Luca Brasi is dead ... but the speed with which he recognizes Luca Brasi's bullet vest is suspicious. Maybe Luca had name tag on his vest?

Unlikely. Tessio was the clever one, and would realize that the hot-headed Sonny's suspicions would fall upon him if he immediately noted that Luca was dead. He would stay silent and let Clemena relay the news, so that Sonny's suspicions would rest with Clemenza (at this point, Sonny does not altogether trust Clemenza).

In short, it is simply more likely that Clemenza would utter the line.

Re: Definitely Clemenza - 06/29/05 12:23 AM

When you think of it, FFC had Clemenza doing alot in GF I. It was Clemenza who was emphasized at the wedding, who accompanied Sonny out to confront the FBI, who was given the Bonasera job, who came to Sonny's house after Vito was shot, who showed up with Hagen and the detectives at the hospital, and who trained Mike with the gun. Did I miss anything? Some of this emphasis is based on the novel, but still it shows the Corleones' preference for Clemenza.

I also wonder why FFC changed the fishes wording from what's in the novel?
Posted By: Fanucci's Revenge

Re: Definitely Clemenza - 06/29/05 12:51 AM

People often think it was Tessio simply because he brought in the package, and they think that who Sonny is talking to when he asks the question...
Posted By: Mr. Baggins

Re: Definitely Clemenza - 06/29/05 02:30 AM

It always sounded like Tessio to me.
Posted By: Enzo Scifo

Re: Definitely Clemenza - 06/29/05 08:23 AM

Tessio talks slow, this line is said in full speed, like the line was not " a sicilian message", it sounded more like " a ssssljn message".
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: Definitely Clemenza - 06/29/05 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Fanucci's Revenge:
People often think it was Tessio simply because he brought in the package, and they think that who Sonny is talking to when he asks the question...
You're right. That's what I originally thought before seeing it a zillion times.
Posted By: SC

Re: Definitely Clemenza - 06/29/05 11:47 AM

Originally posted by olivant:
When you think of it, FFC had Clemenza doing alot in GF I. It was Clemenza who was emphasized at the wedding, who accompanied Sonny out to confront the FBI, who was given the Bonasera job, who came to Sonny's house after Vito was shot, who showed up with Hagen and the detectives at the hospital, and who trained Mike with the gun. Did I miss anything? Some of this emphasis is based on the novel, but still it shows the Corleones' preference for Clemenza.
I wonder how much of this "emphasis" is based on the fact that Richard Castellano (Clemenza) was the highest paid actor in the movie (excepting Brando). Between the two capos I suspect they gave Clemenza more screen time and dialogue because he was more "famous" (than Abe Vigoda who played Tessio).

Re: Definitely Clemenza - 06/29/05 11:57 AM

I think the only reason it is even an issue is that the line is spoken off-screen. We don't see Clemenza b/c the camera is on the fish & vest. Don't forget - Clemenza was also sitting next to Sonny and it's very clear that the lines spoken have the tone of Clemenza's voice.
Posted By: Tony Love

Re: Definitely Clemenza - 06/29/05 12:03 PM

Well, we know Luca didn't say it...

Definitely Clemenza!
Posted By: Don Zadjali

Re: Definitely Clemenza - 06/29/05 12:36 PM

eek OH MY GOD eek
If it wasnt Tessio??
If it wasnt Clemenza??

Maybe it was.....LUCA BRASI????
COME ON...OR MAYBE IT WAS THE FISH WHO SAID IT....

But its Definitely Clemenza lol
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: Definitely Clemenza - 06/29/05 07:09 PM

Originally posted by SC:
[b] When you think of it, FFC had Clemenza doing alot in GF I. It was Clemenza who was emphasized at the wedding, who accompanied Sonny out to confront the FBI, who was given the Bonasera job, who came to Sonny's house after Vito was shot, who showed up with Hagen and the detectives at the hospital, and who trained Mike with the gun. Did I miss anything? Some of this emphasis is based on the novel, but still it shows the Corleones' preference for Clemenza.
I wonder how much of this "emphasis" is based on the fact that Richard Castellano (Clemenza) was the highest paid actor in the movie (excepting Brando). Between the two capos I suspect they gave Clemenza more screen time and dialogue because he was more "famous" (than Abe Vigoda who played Tessio). [/b]
Castellano is the man. He lived and died a few blocks from me in North Bergen, NJ. I lived on 78th St, and he lived on 85th St. cool He was also layed out in a friend's funeral home when he died. Unfortunately, I didn't know who he was until after he died.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Definitely Clemenza - 06/29/05 07:46 PM

Yet it was Abe Vigoda who went on to "Fish" fame. wink
Posted By: SC

Re: Definitely Clemenza - 06/29/05 07:49 PM

Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
Yet it was Abe Vigoda who went on to "Fish" fame.
lol

I never made that connection before.

Re: Definitely Clemenza - 06/29/05 08:40 PM

And to an extent in "Look Who's Talking" fame.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Definitely Clemenza - 06/29/05 09:27 PM

And to an extent in "Look Who's Talking" fame.
Where he spent time with another youngster named Mikey!! lol
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET