Home

I'm gonna speak Italian to Mike

Posted By: Danito

I'm gonna speak Italian to Mike - 10/15/07 08:45 PM

I put English/Sicilian subtitles on the restaurant scene. I'm German (not even half Irish ;\) ). Anyway, I appreciate your comments and your help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymoGJsaSS6c
Posted By: The Last Woltz

Re: I'm gonna speak Italian to Mike - 10/15/07 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Danito
I put English/Sicilian subtitles on the restaurant scene. I'm German (not even half Irish ;\) ). Anyway, I appreciate your comments and your help.

Thanks, Danito.

Having the Sicilian and English both is very enlightening.

It also allowed me to answer your post in the Godfather Dialogue Game thread. ;\)
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: I'm gonna speak Italian to Mike - 10/15/07 09:27 PM

Thats excellant thank you..
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: I'm gonna speak Italian to Mike - 10/15/07 10:21 PM

Great!
You can never see that scene too often.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: I'm gonna speak Italian to Mike - 10/16/07 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Great!
You can never see that scene too often.

Agreed. One of the best scenes in the trilogy. But I have a question.... which gets served more improbably quickly?

1) McCluskey's veal

or

2) The orange juice and candy Michael gets from the cardinal.

Re: I'm gonna speak Italian to Mike - 10/16/07 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
I have a question.... which gets served more improbably quickly?

1) McCluskey's veal

or

Well, dt, I can see that you haven't spent much time around Princes of the Church. They always have orange juice and candy handy. Why, just the other day, when Cardinal Egan and I were having an intimate tete-a-tete, he showed me how he was stocking up on Tootsie Rolls, M&Ms and Baby Ruths for the trick-or-treaters who'll be ringing the doorbell of St. Patrick's Cathedral on Halloween.
I told His Eminince that when the trick-or-treaters ring my doorbell, I give 'em the leftover packets of soy sauce, mustard and duck sauce from the Chinese takeout. ;\)
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: I'm gonna speak Italian to Mike - 10/16/07 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso
I have a question.... which gets served more improbably quickly?

1) McCluskey's veal

or

Well, dt, I can see that you haven't spent much time around Princes of the Church. They always have orange juice and candy handy. Why, just the other day, when Cardinal Egan and I were having an intimate tete-a-tete, he showed me how he was stocking up on Tootsie Rolls, M&Ms and Baby Ruths for the trick-or-treaters who'll be ringing the doorbell of St. Patrick's Cathedral on Halloween.
I told His Eminince that when the trick-or-treaters ring my doorbell, I give 'em the leftover packets of soy sauce, mustard and duck sauce from the Chinese takeout. ;\)

Cardinal Egan and the little trick or treraters, eh? I am not going near that one.

You suppose Louis just kept a hot plate of veal ready for corrupt Irish cops? Hey I have an idea...lets start an insipid thread about why would McCluskey eat veal when we all know he was probably a meat and potatoes guy who considerer Eyetalian Food to be spaghetti and meatballs.

Re: I'm gonna speak Italian to Mike - 10/17/07 03:33 PM

Not sure about the orange at the Vatican.
In the restaurant I consider that much more time has passed than we see. Sometimes FCC leaves us "pretty much in the dark" about how much time has passed. Especially when you watch it the first time some things appear rather strange, for example the cut from the Las Vegas scene to Mike and Kay with Anthony in the car. One should think that they just return from Las Vegas, but it turns out that years have passed. Also Luca Brasi in the Don's office / cut to "Have yourself a merry little christmas".

I think, the whole restaurant scene is very much from Michaels POV: the time quickly passing, the increasing noise of the subway, Sollozzo talking seemingly Gibberish.
Posted By: olivant

Re: I'm gonna speak Italian to Mike - 10/18/07 02:56 AM

Not sure about the orange at the Vatican.
In the restaurant I consider that much more time has passed than we see. Sometimes FCC leaves us "pretty much in the dark" about how much time has passed. Especially when you watch it the first time some things appear rather strange, for example the cut from the Las Vegas scene to Mike and Kay with Anthony in the car. One should think that they just return from Las Vegas, but it turns out that years have passed. Also Luca Brasi in the Don's office / cut to "Have yourself a merry little christmas".

I think, the whole restaurant scene is very much from Michaels POV: the time quickly passing, the increasing noise of the subway, Sollozzo talking seemingly Gibberish.

Years? How'd you figure that?
Posted By: klydon1

Re: I'm gonna speak Italian to Mike - 10/19/07 09:05 PM

I was always struck by how fast that veal dinner came. If it were truly the best in the city, there should have been more preparation. You couldn't microwave a Morton's frozen dinner in the time it took for McCluskey to be served.

Re: I'm gonna speak Italian to Mike - 10/20/07 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
I was always struck by how fast that veal dinner came. If it were truly the best in the city, there should have been more preparation. You couldn't microwave a Morton's frozen dinner in the time it took for McCluskey to be served.

The speed of the dinner's appearance saved FFC and Puzo from having to write "kill time" dialog while they waited. Otherwise we might have been treated to several minutes of repartee like the following:

SOLLOZZO (to Michael): Mikey, you still, uh, "doin' the job" on that little WASP from New Hampshire? How's yer ol' man feel about that, eh, compare?

MICHAEL: Well, Virg, at least I'm gettin' mine for free--I don't have to go into the dope business with Tattaglia to get a discount coupon at one of his whorehouses. What an infamia, hah-hah-hah.

SOLLOZZO (not to be outdone, turns to McCluskey): Yeah, Mark, try the veal--it's the finest in New York. A big improvement over the usual Irish Seven Course Dinner: a boiled potato and a six-pack.
(He and Michael ROFL, rapping each other in the ribs and making the cornudo under the table at McCluskey.)

It was in a deleted scene. ;\)
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: I'm gonna speak Italian to Mike - 10/20/07 01:43 AM

TB, who knew that you had this hidden talent for writing dialogue?
Posted By: olivant

Re: I'm gonna speak Italian to Mike - 10/20/07 02:41 AM

Also in a deleted scene:

Sollozzo: "I'm gonna speak Italian to Mike. It's not because I don't trust you, but because you are a stupid-ass Mick who won't understand a damn thing we're talking about, but will keep saying 'Huh, what, repeat that.' You say you don't drink Mick. So, what the hell is your excuse? If you weren't a cop, what the hell could you possibly be? Well, when you think about it, your cloveleaf stuffed head is perfectly suited to being a cop. Oh, by the way, try the veal. I know it's not potatos, but try it anyway."
Posted By: TahoeShooter

Re: I'm gonna speak Italian to Mike - 11/09/07 05:39 AM

In the translation I dont understand or think that "Do want to play?" is right that seems wrong. I thought it "What I want?" or something else?

Anyone catch that?

Re: I'm gonna speak Italian to Mike - 05/11/10 11:28 PM

Sh...
Youtube/Paramount removed my Sicilian translation from youtube.
About 400,000 viewers. Every-one except for some Sicilian nationalists liked it.
What now?
You know a less restrictive / less observed platform?
Posted By: Vincent_Mancini_Corleone

Re: I'm gonna speak Italian to Mike - 05/13/10 01:29 AM

well isnt paramount whack.... Oh well.... I appreciate your time in translating Danito! Cheers
Posted By: ADilla_Nevada

Re: I'm gonna speak Italian to Mike - 01/26/11 12:01 AM

You can upped it to zshare, or upload it to mediafire for us to download it on.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET