Home

Dinner with the Don

Posted By: henry

Dinner with the Don - 09/05/07 07:07 PM

Several of the scences in the GF involved food or mealtime situations.This got me thinking about table manners.I doubt if Micheal or Tom would embarass themselves at the table but how about the others? Who do you suspect had the worst manners? Admitedly this is a tough questions just consider the possibilities.Clemenza(oh yeh),Sunny,Don C himself,Willie C,Frankie P.All contenders for sure but my money would be on any of the people Micheal met while hiding in sicily.I await your opinions.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Dinner with the Don - 09/05/07 07:07 PM

Are you feeling okay, Henry?
Posted By: henry

Re: Dinner with the Don - 09/05/07 07:18 PM

Yes ,thank you for asking.
Posted By: Zaf-the-don

Re: Dinner with the Don - 09/05/07 10:27 PM

Yep the peasants in sicily probably take the cake but Clemenza i'm sure also had bad table mannners.
Posted By: ApolloniaVitelliCorleone

Re: Dinner with the Don - 09/05/07 11:43 PM

I think Michael had the worst manners. I mean, killing your dinner companions mid-sentence is just plain rude.

Hehe. AVC
Posted By: johnny ola

Re: Dinner with the Don - 09/06/07 03:06 PM

I don't think any of them really had bad table manners. Italians have a great zest for food, and what might be mistaken for bad table manners is simply a great appreciation for food.

Posted By: whisper

Re: Dinner with the Don - 09/06/07 03:10 PM

I have horrible table manners and i'm Italian
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Dinner with the Don - 09/06/07 03:42 PM

Clemenza talked with food in his mouth.

Sonny dunked bread in the gravy pot and scooped the icing off the cake that Tessio brought in.

But probably Michael was the worst...killing a cop at dinner.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Dinner with the Don - 09/06/07 04:13 PM

Woltz talked with food in his mouth, got up from his chair and told his guest to get the hell out, after bragging about his sex life.....for shame!
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Dinner with the Don - 09/06/07 06:36 PM

Well, in the novel, one of the Capone gunmen that Luca captured swallowed the towel that Luca had stuffed in his mouth, which I thought was pretty bad. Then "Maranzano" died with his mouth filled with half-chewed bread--piss-poor manners in my book.

On the other hand, Vito seemed to have splendid manners. He had the good fortune to obtain a rug through the Clemenza Midnight Carpet Service. Then he had the bad fortune to lose his job. He was starving, according to the novel, but "he couldn't eat the rug." That also may have been the origin of his reputation that he was "notoriously straight-laced in matters of sex." ;\)

Re: Dinner with the Don - 10/01/07 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
On the other hand, Vito seemed to have splendid manners.

Well, he had better manners than young Clemenza and Tessio in that scene where they were eating spaghetti, but that whole bit about sticking an orange peel in his mouth and scaring that poor kid wasn't exactly a polite eating habit.
Posted By: Danito

Re: Dinner with the Don - 10/11/07 11:34 AM

I think, Sonny had the worst manners. Even worse than Clemenza who at least appreciated and enjoyed good food.
Sonny is eating even in important situation. It seems that eating for him is just a nervous habit: He's throwing peanuts in his mouth while his father and Tom are discussing the Sollozzo proposal. Also, in one of the additional scenes, he's eating bread while he's thinking what to do after the shooting of his father.
The way he acted in those scenes made me think that James Caan was a brilliant choice for the character of Santino Corleone.

Re: Dinner with the Don - 10/11/07 02:17 PM

Welcome to the boards, Danito. You are right about Sonny being a nervous eater. I would invite you to join ongoing speculation over whether they were eating Chinese or Italian take out in the scene in which everyone is waiting to find out where the Michael-Sollozzo meeting will take place.

Re: Dinner with the Don - 10/11/07 02:20 PM

I think they were eating Golden Krust.

Re: Dinner with the Don - 10/12/07 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Welcome to the boards, Danito.

I am honored and grateful.

Quote:
ongoing speculation over whether they were eating Chinese or Italian take out in the scene in which everyone is waiting to find out where the Michael-Sollozzo meeting will take place.

The script says
"The Corleone Dining Room (6:30pm). Sonny, Clemenza, Tessio and Rocco are sitting around, eating Chinese food while waiting for news about where the Sollozzo meeting will take place. Michael smokes as the others eat."
http://www.jgeoff.com/godfather/gf1/transcript/gf1transcript.html

Re: Dinner with the Don - 10/12/07 07:06 PM

That's not the shooting script, it's our Don Geoff Malta's transcript of the movie, word for word.

Re: Dinner with the Don - 10/18/07 12:40 PM

Alright. I guess, that this http://www.awesomefilm.com/script/THEGODFATHER.txt is not a transcript. Here it also says that they eat Chinese food.

Re: Dinner with the Don - 11/24/07 01:04 AM

FCC says in the comments to GF 1 that it's Chinese food.

Re: Dinner with the Don - 12/11/07 03:44 PM

Carlo had the worst manners because he tried to discuss business at the table. ANd Sonny and Michael agree with me.
Posted By: Santino Brasi

Re: Dinner with the Don - 01/04/08 06:58 AM

ongoing speculation over whether they were eating Chinese or Italian take out in the scene in which everyone is waiting to find out where the Michael-Sollozzo meeting will take place.

If you have the DVD Box set, Francis Ford Coppola was talking about that part and he said he was obsessed with small details like getting the right chineese food boxes without the red pagodas on them, so they are eating Chinesse food
Posted By: dontommasino

Re: Dinner with the Don - 01/04/08 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Well, in the novel, one of the Capone gunmen that Luca captured swallowed the towel that Luca had stuffed in his mouth, which I thought was pretty bad. Then "Maranzano" died with his mouth filled with half-chewed bread--piss-poor manners in my book.
On the other hand, Vito seemed to have splendid manners. He had the good fortune to obtain a rug through the Clemenza Midnight Carpet Service. Then he had the bad fortune to lose his job. He was starving, according to the novel, but "he couldn't eat the rug." That also may have been the origin of his reputation that he was "notoriously straight-laced in matters of sex." ;\)

Didn't Masseria get killed like that? Obviously Puzo just threw Maranzano in there to make it ambiguous.

Re: Dinner with the Don - 01/04/08 05:19 PM

I noticed Mary and Vincent didnt wash their hands or use gloves when they were making gnocchi.
Posted By: SC

Re: Dinner with the Don - 01/04/08 05:25 PM

I noticed Mary and Vincent didnt wash their hands or use gloves when they were making gnocchi.

I wonder if they wore protection when they made nookie.

Re: Dinner with the Don - 01/04/08 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: SC

I wonder if they wore protection when they made nookie.

We'll never know cause MAry died. If she hadn't maybe there would have been the potential for GODFATHER IV - in which Sonny's Bastard son has a bastard son by incest who takes over the family business, and the Corleones are wiped out because of this infamnia.
Posted By: SC

Re: Dinner with the Don - 01/04/08 06:06 PM

We'll never know cause MAry died. If she hadn't maybe there would have been the potential for GODFATHER IV - in which Sonny's Bastard son has a bastard son by incest who takes over the family business, and the Corleones are wiped out because of this infamnia.

They would have been wiped out from the inbreeding.... hmmm, maybe that explains Fredo.

Nahhh .... he was left by Gypsies.

Re: Dinner with the Don - 01/04/08 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: SC
They would have been wiped out from the inbreeding....

Actually the inbreeding could have made them eligible to be in the British Royal Family.

I can see the plot line now. Anthony is invited to perform at the Royal Albert Hall, and all the Corleones attend. Mary's daughter is introduced to King William's son, Michael makes a handsome contribution to the Britsh National Trust, buys Manchester United and the Times of London, pays a "visit" to Dodi Al Fayed's father who sells him Harrods for a certified check for $10,000 (either his brains or his signature would be on the contract) and a Royal Wedding ensues, finally making the Corleones legitimate. Michael is made a Duke, he is knighted, and he reunites with Kay the goldigger.

© 2024 GangsterBB.NET