Home

Background Noise - Intentional?

Posted By: olivant

Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/01/07 06:36 PM

I've noticed that in several scenes, there seems to be an apprecialble amount of background noise:

Wedding - from inside Vito's office you can clearly hear not only the band, but people talking, etc.

Sollozzo Meeting - one can clearly hear the street noise; even when Vito is leaving and putting on his coat

Family Meeting - after Mike takes over, the fish tank bubbling.

Anybody else notice? Did you find it distracting?
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/01/07 07:12 PM

If anything, I find that the slight background noise makes those scenes that much more authentic.
Posted By: johnny ola

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/01/07 07:34 PM

I also think that the background noises added to the enhancement of the scenes. Slightly off topic but along the same lines, the Godfather video game has terrific background music and noise that adds to the authenticity.

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/01/07 11:22 PM

Well, the bubbling aquarium really drives me nuts. I keep waiting for someone in that scene to yell "Can someone turn that damn thing off!"

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/02/07 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: olivant
Well, the bubbling aquarium really drives me nuts. I keep waiting for someone in that scene to yell "Can someone turn that damn thing off!"

Could that have been Clemenza's stomach giving off the sound of hunger pains?
Posted By: james_cagney

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/07/07 06:16 AM

The background noise never really bothered me. Next time I watch the DVD I'll listen more closely.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/09/07 02:16 PM

I think the background noise adds to the authenticity....lots of babies crying throughout for instance.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/09/07 02:36 PM

I agree with dt and DC. FFC never missed any opportunity to add authenticity in GF. The soundtrack is really a very powerful part of the overall experience:
Before I bought my home theater setup, I'd been viewing the Trilogy on VHS--GF and II via a tape I made from the first broadcast of the "Saga" on NBC in '83; Part III from a VHS I bought. Then the "25th Anniversary Boxed Set" was released, with "enhanced audio and video." Whoooo, what a difference--like watching the Trilogy for the first time. The audio made the biggest difference.
FFC used background noise to a fare-thee-well in "Bram Stoker's Dracula," where the audio was a major part of the action.

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/09/07 07:15 PM

Well, my problem with it (especially the bubbling fish tank), was its volume. It was too loud.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/09/07 07:28 PM

Can you here the cat purring in the opening scene with Bonasera? I heard it for the first time when I viewed the 25th anniversary edition.

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/09/07 07:33 PM

How authentic was it to have those children running, screaming and making noise in the background while their grandfather was trying to converse with Luca Brasi?

Every family is familiar with that kind of background noise when thinking back to when the whole family used to get together.

Authenticity!
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/09/07 07:36 PM

Or the baby screaming when Sonny gets the phone call from Connie?

I always wondered if that was ad libbed by Morgana King, remember, she hands the phone to Sonny as if she couldn't hear over the baby?

Great stuff.

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/09/07 07:38 PM

PB,

How many times growing up, at a family get together, were you or your cousins told to keep it down because grandpa is talking to uncle so and so or is trying to take a nap?

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/09/07 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
PB,

How many times growing up, at a family get together, were you or your cousins told to keep it down because grandpa is talking to uncle so and so or is trying to take a nap?

Or hear one of the kid's yell out "Daddy's fighting again, Uncle Pizzaboy, Mama."

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/09/07 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
PB,

Or hear one of the kid's yell out "Daddy's fighting again, Uncle Pizzaboy, Mama."

We're related? My son said that?

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/09/07 07:53 PM

Yeah, us Zips are all cousins, didn't anyone ever tell you that?

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/09/07 07:55 PM

Hmmmm. Pizzaboy, Zips. Hmmmmmmm.

The Pizza Connection? Carmine Galente?

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/09/07 07:57 PM

That Joe and Mary's made a nice clam sauce, didn't they?

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/10/07 12:13 AM

They sure did. And there was nothing like enjoying a nice cigar after a dish of their linguini and clams.

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/10/07 01:36 AM

They sure did. And there was nothing like enjoying a nice cigar after a dish of their linguini and clams.

And taking a realllll long nap afterwards.

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/10/07 01:38 AM

Posted By: ScarFather

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/12/07 05:43 PM

I am sure many have noticed this but the train in the background at the meeting with Solozzo and McC... I believe you hear it once during the meeting and then again when Michael shoots them.... perfect timing... I love the build up visually and audibly
Posted By: louPete

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/13/07 01:18 AM

[quote=Turnbull]I agree with dt and DC. FFC never missed any opportunity to add authenticity in GF.

Another example is at the GF1 funeral scene. You can here the trucks in the backgound driving over the road grates on the Kosciuszko Bridge in Queens. They really make that sound on the bridge. I've always wondered if it was over dubbed afterward, or was that the actual sound while they were shooting the scene. lP

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/13/07 01:56 AM

Probably like the bubbling fish tank, it was overdubbed.

By the way, why would Vito be buried there? How far is that cemetary from Long Beach?
Posted By: whisper

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/13/07 09:23 AM

Originally Posted By: ScarFather
I am sure many have noticed this but the train in the background at the meeting with Solozzo and McC... I believe you hear it once during the meeting and then again when Michael shoots them.... perfect timing... I love the build up visually and audibly

Yeah i love that build up also.I dont think it would have had the same impact of his anger churning inside with out the train.
Posted By: wtwt5237

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/14/07 02:46 PM

And the sharp bird cryings when Fredo was shot, with all that background of sunset and clouds.

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/14/07 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: ScarFather

And Michael heard it too when he first sat down. I believe that is why he did NOT come out of the bathroom blasting away, like Clemenza originally instructed him to do. Instead, hearing that train rumble, he realized that it would be better for him to come out of that bathroom, sit back down, wait for another train to rumble on by and then shoot them both! He realized that the rumbling of the train would be somewhat of a distraction and would also help drown out the sounds of the gunshots.
Posted By: Carson_Corleone

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/14/07 05:00 PM

Watched the Saga again yesterday. One thing I noticed was the gravel in Don Ciccio's driveway and the gravel in the Corleone Mall.

The sound is very distinct and adds even more to each scene.

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/14/07 05:25 PM

Yes, why wouldn't Vito have the mall driveway paved? Maybe it facilitated his hearing any car driving up.

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/14/07 05:50 PM

Yes, why wouldn't Vito have the mall driveway paved? Maybe it facilitated his hearing any car driving up.

I maybe mistaken with this, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Corleone mall was fabricated from detached homes for the film. I am guessing here, but to give the appearance of the mall being its own separate entity, they put down gravel, as it could be easily removed when shooting was done. I believe the wall was also artificial.

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/17/07 02:50 AM

The power steering pump in Mike's Imperial limo.

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/17/07 04:59 AM

But, wasn't the street on which the mall houses were located already paved? Why pour gravel on top of it?

Also, I watched GFI last night and this time the bubbling fish tank was almost muted. It must have to due with which versionof the film is shown.

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/17/07 08:36 AM

But, wasn't the street on which the mall houses were located already paved? Why pour gravel on top of it?

Also, I watched GFI last night and this time the bubbling fish tank was almost muted. It must have to due with which versionof the film is shown.

I honestly don't know the real situation with the stoned driveway. The only thing I read was that the wall was put up for the film.

Re: Background Noise - Intentional? - 07/17/07 01:41 PM

Yes, the wall was fake. In fact, did you notice that in GFII when Frankie comes home and Mike is there, part of the wall is missing?
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET