Home

If Apollonia didn't die...

Posted By: Mignon

If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/01/07 05:35 PM

... Would she have been the dutiful wife and followed Mike when he hent back home or would she have wanted Mike to stay with her so she could be with her family?
Posted By: Carson_Corleone

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/01/07 06:09 PM

It looked like she was ready to go wherever Mike was willing to take her, well, until Fabrizzio intervened.
Posted By: Zaf-the-don

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/01/07 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Carson_Corleone
It looked like she was ready to go wherever Mike was willing to take her, well, until Fabrizzio intervened.

I totally agree
Posted By: whisper

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/02/07 08:32 AM

I think she was keen on the move to America.Also note that Michaels Bodyguard says "she'll make a good American wife".Maybe that proves it had been discussed before with Appolonia.
Posted By: HamptonHitMan

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/02/07 05:44 PM

I think she would have followed Michael anywhere. She especially wanted to go to America and be an American wife. Look how she took to learning English!

"Monday,Tuesday,Thursday,Wednesday,Friday,Sunday,Saturday"

And she drove that car like a lot of American women! JK!

Rick
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/02/07 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: HamptonHitMan
I think she would have followed Michael anywhere. She especially wanted to go to America and be an American wife. Look how she took to learning English!

"Monday,Tuesday,Thursday,Wednesday,Friday,Sunday,Saturday"

And she drove that car like a lot of American women! JK!

Rick

She drove like an Asian-American woman.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/02/07 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Mignon
... Would she have been the dutiful wife and followed Mike when he hent back home or would she have wanted Mike to stay with her so she could be with her family?

I think she would have gotten radical nipple enlargement surgery.
Posted By: olivant

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/02/07 11:53 PM

"I will follow him, follow him wherever he may go. There isn't a mountain too high, a river so wide it can keep, keep me away, away from his love."

Okay, who knows the chorus?
Posted By: wtwt5237

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/03/07 11:45 AM

hey, a side question:
is Apple's family a local mafia family in sicily?
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/03/07 02:19 PM

Had she lived she would have been the essential Italian mobster's wife. Like a Mama Corleone.

Posted By: whisper

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/03/07 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: wtwt5237
hey, a side question:
is Apple's family a local mafia family in sicily?

No Appolonia's father Vitelli,knew some of the local mafioso's .He wasn't an actual member.

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/03/07 07:31 PM

Did Vitelli give his daughter through fear or did he actually think it was a godd idea?

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/04/07 11:08 AM

It seems in the movie Vitelli just agreed to the engagement. He showed no passion nor resistance. kind of strange?
Posted By: olivant

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/04/07 03:33 PM

It seems in the movie Vitelli just agreed to the engagement. He showed no passion nor resistance. kind of strange?

The novel points out that the father figured that his family's future was now financially secure.

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/05/07 12:23 PM

oh, I read the novel a long time ago, forgetting many details.

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/05/07 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant

The novel points out that the father figured that his family's future was now financially secure.

Right thanks for that but didnt he care that his daughter was marriad to a criminal and that could put his daughter in trouble.

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/05/07 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Zaf-the-don

but didnt he care that his daughter was marriad to a criminal and that could put his daughter in trouble.

It was an accepted way of life in Sicily back then.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/05/07 07:32 PM

A ticket to America huh?

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/05/07 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Mignon
A ticket to America huh?

You could say that. And at the very least a good life in Italy.

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/06/07 02:38 PM

-Why would such a beautiful woman marry a criminal?
-History
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/06/07 04:37 PM

You have to understand the Sicilian culture before you could understand this marriage, and her family's consent. The Mafia began in Sicily as a form of "street justice". The Sicilians were treated like another country by the mainland, and the police were so corrupt that they were were not trusted at all by the people. The Mafia was a form of vigilante justice that was meted out in the place of a corrupt criminal justice system.

The Mafia chiefs were, therefore, revered. Remember the beginning of The Godfather, when people like Nazorine and Bonasera went to Vito for help, for justice. It was the same in Sicily, except even more so.

For Vitelli's daughter to make such a match was a stroke of luck in their culture, not something to be feared or concerned about.

Of course, the Mafia was just as corrupt as the justice system, especially as it grew more powerful.

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/06/07 08:15 PM

Thanks DC and SB for making it clear. Its understandble that it was part of their culture.

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/08/07 03:17 PM

I guess some of you here are Italians.
So could you please tell me if there is really a village called Corleone in Sicily?

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/08/07 04:54 PM

I'm not italian or sicilain but there is a village called corleone in sicly because Al pacinos Grandparents came from corleone.

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/09/07 03:09 PM

No wonder Al Pacino made a great role as Micheal Corleone.
Posted By: DarthPipes

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/15/07 03:19 AM

Apollonia would have made a good mob wife for Michael although I see her having much more personality than your average one.
Posted By: Mia1

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/19/07 03:10 PM

I think Apollonia would have been an obedient wife to Michael and followed him anywhere.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: If Apollonia didn't die... - 07/26/07 07:36 PM

If Appollonia didnt die, Fabrizzio would have never come to the U.S. and Buffalo , NY would have been short one pizza place.

I don't think she would have been as subservient as Mama Corleone...she did have some spirit.... wanting to drive, and interrupting Michael when he was doing business with Don Tomassino, so she would have been somewhat more Americanized. I suspect she would have ahd several kids and been very involved in their upbringing.

Her character may have taken on a really interesting part in GFII...given that Geary didnt like Italians with their oily hair and dishonest ways, I wonder if he, or later Roth or Questadt would have tried to divert Michael's attention away from real business by trying to get her deported.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET