Home

What if Appolonia lived?

Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger

What if Appolonia lived? - 06/07/07 09:04 PM

I'm not into the whole "what if" scenarios because, quite simply, they didn't happen, so what's the point of discussing it?

But something just dawned on me.

Mike clearly wanted the WASPy wife in Kay to be by his side in order to look more American and less Italian, AKA, mobbed up.

But what if Appolonia lived?

Would he have brought her back to the states with him and kept him as a wife as he took over the family business?

How would that have hurt/helped his image? You have to think that if she lived, and came to the states with him, she wouldn't have been as naive as Kay. She knew what the mafia was all about, having lived in Sicily. Her father was a part of it!

I think Appolonia would have become a little Lady Macbeth (Lady Corleone) had she lived and would have had Michael's ear a little more than he would have liked.

I also would have loved to see how Kay would have reacted to see Mike back home with a wife. You also have to think that Mike would still have feelings for Kay too, since he left so abruptly after murdering Sollozzo and McClusky.

Who knows, maybe Apple would have ended up ordering a hit on Kay!

There is also the possibility that Mike and Appolonia would have stayed in Sicily, where Mike could have either lived out the rest of his life there in peace (which I doubt, he was "in" after the killings) or become a representative of the Corleone family in Sicily and rose to power there.

After all, power was his destiny.

Basically, where was Mike mentally when he married Apple? Did he know he would come back and take over the family business when he married her? Was he just struck by the thunderbolt and not thinking about that stuff?

What does everyone think?
Posted By: ScarFather

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/07/07 09:28 PM

I think initially he was looking for some companionship followed quickly by a "be like dad"... marry a sicilian.

I think too much is made about Kay and how it makes Michael look. As far as I know... Michael got out of bad situations because of Michael... not because of his waspy wife.

IMO Michael wanted a REAL, HARDCORE SICILIAN family. That was his goal. The once first option in Kay became a 2nd option... only because Appolonia was killed.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/07/07 09:42 PM

Michael's true love was Appolonia. She would have been the essential Italian mobster's wife too. Like a Mama Corleone.

I don't believe that Michael loved Kay in the same way after falling in love with Appolonia. He was hit by the thunderbolt with Appolonia. He wasn't with Kay.

Although I think that he loved Kay in a different way, he was not as passionate about Kay as he was with Appolonia.

If he really and truley lved Kay the way that he loved Appolonia, then he would have never waited as long as he did to contact her after returning from Sicily.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/07/07 09:46 PM

Well, I saw Diane Keaton topless in LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR.

No comparison.

Apollonia

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/07/07 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
Michael's true love was Appolonia.

Disagree. I think Kay was always #1.

She would have been the essential Italian mobster's wife too. Like a Mama Corleone.

Agree 100%.

I don't believe that Michael loved Kay in the same way after falling in love with Appolonia. He was hit by the thunderbolt with Appolonia. He wasn't with Kay.

It was STILL Love for Kay... just different love... and future/family stuff.

Although I think that he loved Kay in a different way, he was not as passionate about Kay as he was with Appolonia.

Agreed.

If he really and truley lved Kay the way that he loved Appolonia, then he would have never waited as long as he did to contact her after returning from Sicily.

I disagree here... I think the only reason why he waited was that he had to get his "family" affairs in order. Had to be focused... remember there was no future if Michael didnt have his ducks all lined up.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/07/07 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: ScarFather

The book even tells us, when he first sees Apollonia, that

"...it was nothing like the love he'd had for Kay."

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/07/07 10:41 PM

The book even tells us, when he first sees Apollonia, that

"...it was nothing like the love he'd had for Kay."

Wow.... the first time he see's Apollonia he trumps the "love/relationship" that he had with Kay.... thats pretty good...

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/07/07 10:48 PM

Scarfather,

Have you ever read the book?
Posted By: olivant

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/07/07 11:05 PM

Right DC, the book tells about he thunderbolt hitting him about Appolonia and it's in the movie also. I believe he felt comfortable with Kay, but he really loved Appolonia passionately.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/07/07 11:06 PM

Scarfather,

Have you ever read the book?

No I havent.

I understand what you are saying and where you are getting it from.... but... the book and the movie are different right? According to most of the posters on here....

My point is.... He tells Kay that he thought of her EVEN when he was married to Apollonia... I believe him...
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/07 01:06 AM

I believe that part of his initial attraction to Kay was that she was everything that every girl he knew growing up was not. She was not Italian, not Catholic, she was fair, not dark, she was independent, questioning and educated. At the time that he met Kay, Michael was doing his best to distance himself from his family and everything about them.

When he fled to Sicily, he experiences the thunderbolt when he sees Appolonia. He falls intensely in love with her at first sight. At that time, he is in a search for his roots, and Appolonia, being the good Sicilian wife, is perfect for the man that Michael is becoming. And when she is killed, I think that a large part of him dies.

When he returns to America, I think he very coldly decides to go in search of Kay. She was still in love with the Michael that she met in college, the one looking to separate himself from his family and his past. She has no idea about the man he has become, but she's getting older, living in a tiny town in New Hampshire, so she agrees to marry him.

As for Michael's feelings for Kay, I think that he cared for her, but I don't think that she ever had a shot at being #1. Michael decided that it was time to settle down and start his family, so he finds out that Kay had never married, figures that she's getting older and maybe a little nervous about being an old maid, he's comfortable with her, she provides a veil of legitimacy, and he cold-bloodedly proposes.
Posted By: whisper

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/07 01:13 AM

He does say to Kay in Part 3"you were all that i cared about.You were all that i cherished the most in this world"

I do agrre with Sicilian Babe for the most part.As in when he was living in America Kay had her appeal before he eventually fell in love with her.And while in Sicily,Appolonia was the "real" thing and he was immersing himself in his heritage with her.

Just my thoughts.
Posted By: Beth E

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/07 01:14 AM

Maybe if she lived she would have grown some nipples.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/07 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Beth E
Maybe if she lived she would have grown some nipples.

Hahaha

Excellent post SB! Right on the money!

And if I might add, when Michael returns and goes to see Kay, at that point we are seeing the cunning of Michael, the manipulation. "I thought about you..." etc. etc.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

She was his wife, the mother of his children. Of course he cherished her. But he never says, I was so crazy in love with you that I couldn't see straight! He uses words like care and cherish, not adore, and certainly never crazy. Only Appolonia makes him crazy with love.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/07 01:19 AM

Good point.I just love how many levels this saga contains.So many different view points created in so many different peoples minds.Its surreal how the power of film can create such a thing.
Posted By: UnderBoss

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/07 03:59 AM

Appolonia was way hotter than Kay too IMO, but GF3 would be much more different if Appolonia was his wife, it may have been harder for him to get out of the life... or attempt to.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/07 04:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe

When he fled to Sicily, he experiences the thunderbolt when he sees Appolonia. He falls intensely in love with her at first sight. At that time, he is in a search for his roots, and Appolonia, being the good Sicilian wife, is perfect for the man that Michael is becoming. And when she is killed, I think that a large part of him dies.

Perfectly said! \:\)
Remember that Michael was only about 26 when he landed in Sicily in 1946. He had spent a good part of his life until then rebelling against his upbringing and his roots. So, at first, I believe he thought it was a temporary sojourn and was expecting Sonny, Tom and his father to bring him home sooner rather than later. He would then resume his former life as much as it was possible to do so.
But after the thunderbolt, I think he went into a new "phase" of his life: Make up for years of rebellion by embracing his Sicilian roots. Or, as Newton said, "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." He embraced Sicily through Appolonia: formal courtship, chaperoned visits, old-fashioned wedding, protection from a gabboleto (Don Tomasso). I think he might have been contemplating staying in Sicily indefinitely--until Sonny got whacked and Appolonia was blown up.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/07 04:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Perfectly said! \:\)
Remember that Michael was only about 26 when he landed in Sicily in 1946. He had spent a good part of his life until then rebelling against his upbringing and his roots. So, at first, I believe he thought it was a temporary sojourn and was expecting Sonny, Tom and his father to bring him home sooner rather than later. He would then resume his former life as much as it was possible to do so.
But after the thunderbolt, I think he went into a new "phase" of his life: Make up for years of rebellion by embracing his Sicilian roots. Or, as Newton said, "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." He embraced Sicily through Appolonia: formal courtship, chaperoned visits, old-fashioned wedding, protection from a traditional Don. I think he might have been contemplating staying in Sicily indefinitely--until Sonny got whacked and Appolonia was blown up.
Posted By: 123321

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/07 04:05 PM

This is how Al Pacino described the relationship between Michael and Kay:

"Michael loved her when he met her and he loved her throughout his life and he loves her to this day, even though their relationship was surrounded by a lie. He not only loves her, but he admires her."
Posted By: klydon1

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/07 05:00 PM

Appolonia wouldn't have had an abortion. She would have seen bearing and raising Michael's sons as her greatest achievement.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/07 05:43 PM

I think initially he was looking for some companionship followed quickly by a "be like dad"... marry a sicilian.

I think too much is made about Kay and how it makes Michael look. As far as I know... Michael got out of bad situations because of Michael... not because of his waspy wife.

IMO Michael wanted a REAL, HARDCORE SICILIAN family. That was his goal. The once first option in Kay became a 2nd option... only because Appolonia was killed.

I never said that Mike wanted Kay to get him out of anything. Mike wanted to be presented as an Americanized person though, in all aspects of his life. Kay would fulfill this. Although I agree, Appolonia was his "true love".
Posted By: Sopranorleone

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/07 10:30 PM

On a side note, does anyone think that Apollonia was pregnant (obviously the beginning stages) at the time of her death? I know it wasn't mentioned in either the novel or the book, but it would add more fuel to Michael's fire.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/09/07 05:37 AM

I dont think she was.But she could've been.It would no doubt add a lot more fuel to his fire.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/09/07 06:09 PM

She would have become fat and her only english would have been monday, tuesday, saturday, sunday, friday ...
Posted By: Longneck

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/11/07 06:52 AM

Would have? Isn't she still alive, olivant?

Posted By: wtwt5237

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/11/07 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger

I never said that Mike wanted Kay to get him out of anything. Mike wanted to be presented as an Americanized person though, in all aspects of his life. Kay would fulfill this. Although I agree, Appolonia was his "true love".

Do you believe that Micheal had no affection towards Kay? The question is not mentioned anywhere, but I guess Micheal would not be a mob in his personal life. Had not he been in, he would have remained a nice college boy and good civilian. As with Apple, I would agree that there is a more proportion of joys of flesh between them than that of 'true love'

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/11/07 02:11 PM

I think Mike loved Kay but was not in love with her like he was with Appolonia. I think the young Mike was in love with Kay but then something changed in him while in Sicily and then Appolonia was the girl for him.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/11/07 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Longneck

I didn't know which of your three posts to answer. It was a tough choice. Who's to say what "alive" is?

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/11/07 05:51 PM

Michael certainly loved Kay in his own way. In a deleted scene (before Vito got shot), you see Kay and him in bed, and he's being affectionate and playful. But after he returned from Sicily, I saw no affection or passion toward Kay. The scene where he woos her in New Hampshire was more like a business meeting (and Michael, in that ridiculous homburg hat, looked like the CEO of the Dwarf National Bank). ;\)
Posted By: Zaf-the-don

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/11/07 06:05 PM

lol yeah he loved appolania more as he totally chnaged after he came back fom sicily.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/11/07 06:20 PM

If Appollonia had lived, she would have come back to the U.S. with Michael, had about 6 kids, and byu forty those great boobs we saw would be hanging down to her navel, and she would outweighed Clemenza.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/11/07 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
If Appollonia had lived, she would have come back to the U.S. with Michael, had about 6 kids, and byu forty those great boobs we saw would be hanging down to her navel, and she would outweighed Clemenza.

Well, she did come back to the US and survive. We last saw her on TV as Johnny Sack's wife.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/11/07 07:32 PM

Funny thing is that the actress who played Ginny NEVER did anything else but play in The Sopranos.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/11/07 07:47 PM

Funny thing is that the actress who played Ginny NEVER did anything else but play in The Sopranos.

Whats funnier is.....

the guy who played "Spider Rico" in Rocky on appeared in one other movie.... "Rocky Balboa"
Posted By: MiniMafiaBoss

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/08 02:39 PM

The woman who played Appolonia has died in real life, mid 50's.
Posted By: apolloniafm

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/08 05:31 PM

I, too, wonder about this, and wish Mr. Puzo was alive to help us ponder, or maybe this is exactly how he wanted it. Probably.

First, I always thought Michael WAS married to Kay when he went to Cicily. No? I need that cleared up.

If he was not married to Kay, and Apollonia had lived, I believe he was so incredibly in love with A that nothing else mattered. Maybe I am too romantic, and not understanding enough about power, but like you say, he was going to be powerful anywhere.

Apollonia did not seem the type to be as curious about "the business" as Kay. She would have had babies, and been reminiscent of Michael's mother where the family members, the parties, and the well-being of the fmaily was her focus.

But, was he married to Kay? I thought he was told in Sicily that Kay had had a miscarriage (then later it was an abortion). I may have my timing out of line, or maybe she was pregnant but they were not married.
Posted By: apolloniafm

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/08 05:41 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simonetta_Stefanelli

This is a rumor, she struggles with. She is alive.
Posted By: SC

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/08 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: apolloniafm
First, I always thought Michael WAS married to Kay when he went to Cicily. No? I need that cleared up.

Welcome to the boards, apolloniafm. Mike and Kay were NOT married when he went to hide in Sicily.

Thanks for clearing up the fact that the actress who played Apollonia is still alive.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/08 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: SC

Welcome to the boards, apolloniafm. Mike and Kay were NOT married when he went to hide in Sicily.

Thanks for clearing up the fact that the actress who played Apollonia is still alive.

Just like Ade.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/08 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: SC

I'm actually relieved to hear it. It's weird, Abe Vigoda fought off rumors of his death for years, too.
Posted By: Beth E

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/08 08:01 PM

Four decades and she's still alive.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/08 08:10 PM

I wonder if her boobs are still perky?

Aw, c'mon, you guys were thinking the same thing. lol
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/08 08:17 PM

...But, was he married to Kay? I thought he was told in Sicily that Kay had had a miscarriage (then later it was an abortion). I may have my timing out of line, or maybe she was pregnant but they were not married.

Yes, you have the timing WAY out of line. Also, you're mixing timelines between The Godfather and The Godfather Part II.

It might be a good idea to watch the two films in order and get any confusion cleared up.

That aside...you seem like a nice enough person, welcome to the BB!!

AppleOnYa

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/08 09:21 PM

Appolonia is Simonetta Steffinali. Am I right???

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/08 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: MiniMafiaBoss
Appolonia is Simonetta Steffinali. Am I right???

Close. Simonetta Stefanelli.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/08 10:10 PM

Now look who's correcting the spelling!

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/08 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: MiniMafiaBoss
Now look who's correcting the spelling!

I assume you wanted to check online and possibly correct your mistake. I thought by correcting the spelling I'd make it easier for you.

I guess I wasted my time in responding to you... a mistake I will not make again.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/08/08 10:24 PM

lol lol lol

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/09/08 01:17 PM

I read in a magazine that the woman who played Appolonia had died. Now she's alive. I'm confused!

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/09/08 01:25 PM

Just did a web search. Her death to cancer at age 51 was a lie. She in trouble with the mob?
The magazine I saw her obituary was DVD Review.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/09/08 02:42 PM

She's st8ill alive! Five shots of silicone and she's still alive! Well that's bad luck for me and bad luck for Kay if you don't make that deal!

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/09/08 02:55 PM

I bet she looks fantastic!!
Posted By: Montauk

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/26/08 10:32 PM

I dunno... an Americanized Appollonia...hmmm... I have my doubts.

First, I think Mike and Kay's relationship was more solid. I always got the feeling that Appie was more attracted by the money; remember when he's courting her and she's staring at him while LOVINGLY STROKING her new gold necklaces?

She would've wilded out, no question. She would've given Deanna a run for her money.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? - 06/27/08 07:11 PM

She'd have returned to the States, had six kids, none of whom became brats like Mary or effeminate opera singers like Tony, and she would never have bugged Michael to death about his business. Because of that Michael's health would have been better, she would have handled Fredo and/or seen through him for Michael, and at the end she would bask in Michael's triumph when he took over Immobiliare. Did I mention that means he would not have been on the steps of the Palermo Opera House that fateful night?
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET