Home

Picture quality

Posted By: babysinister

Picture quality - 09/30/03 12:02 AM

I got the DVD Collection when it came out over two years ago. One thing has always bothered me: picture quality. Godfather One especially has not been transferred to DVD at anything close to state of the art standards available in 2001. The artifacts abound and one gets the impression one is watching a videotape. This is particularly obvious when you comapare it to remasterings or restorations of movies of lesser importance. The movies in the Collection seem to be of the same quality as those in the VHS videocassettes of the Godfather Trilogy. Considering that the DVD Collection was touted as a prestige, definitive edition of this classic, why didn't they give the film image a classier, neater transfer to DVD format?
Posted By: babysinister

Re: Picture quality - 10/01/03 07:55 PM

Oops! Tutto e deserto! A displeasing subject?
Posted By: jay

Re: Picture quality - 10/01/03 08:22 PM

ha ha...i found that second post funny
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Picture quality - 10/02/03 12:30 AM

I found the films far too dark to suit me. I thought they were only marginally better, if at all, than the 25th anniversary VHS set.
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Picture quality - 10/02/03 04:03 AM

Hmm...I found the picture itself to be of much greater clarity and richness that past versions I've seen on VHS or on television... ohwell
Posted By: Don Corpuzzi

Re: Picture quality - 10/02/03 03:21 PM

Yeah, I think it's just fine, especially for a film that at the time was almost 30 years old. If there is no good source print, then you really can't make a great remaster.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Picture quality - 10/02/03 07:11 PM

Originally posted by Double-J:
Hmm...I found the picture itself to be of much greater clarity and richness that past versions I've seen on VHS or on television... ohwell
Yes, the DVD set picture quality was far better than the original vhs releases and TV broadcasts. But the DVDs weren't much better than the 25th anniversary VHS set, which was carefully remastered.
An easy test for picture quality: In the Havana scenes of GFII, when Fredo pulls up to Michael's hotel (in a black '58 Plymouth Plaza taxi), you can see the name of the hotel--Capri--in neon behind the door. You couldn't see that on TV or in the early vhs. Later, at the Tropicana nightclub, you can see that Fredo has three black Cuban cigars in the breast pocket of his jacket. In earlier versions, it looks like he has a black handkerchief in that pocket.
Posted By: Mike Sullivan

Re: Picture quality - 10/02/03 08:53 PM

I thought the Quality was Damned good but I saw Problems...

Grain and stuff....

But No one can dis the audio track...
Posted By: Don_Rozzini

Re: Picture quality - 10/02/03 09:12 PM

No movie even comes close to having a better track then the Godfather, and I dont think any movie ever will
Posted By: Tom Hagan

Re: Picture quality - 10/07/03 04:04 AM

Pulp Fiction's music is great. Quentin Tarantino sure knows his stuff.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET