Home

Only one thing missing

Posted By: Sermanni

Only one thing missing - 01/05/02 01:00 AM

This is probably the most trivial thing ever but the trilogy disappointed me with the lack of either Italian audio or subtitles. Apart from that it was unbelievable. anyone else agree?
Posted By: DoN KraYziE

Re: Only one thing missing - 01/05/02 11:41 PM

hmmm that is a bit strange thay should have had at least spanish which is a usual subtitle or dub thats included and it is close to italian
Posted By: Claudia

Re: Only one thing missing - 01/24/02 11:39 PM

believe me, you wouldn't understand Spanish if you speak Italian.

I speak Portuguese, which is closer to Spanish than Italian and can understand neither Spanish or Italian!! And my family is from Calabria in Italia!! capice?
Posted By: Saladbar

Re: Only one thing missing - 01/25/02 01:24 AM

Originally posted by Claudia:

odd, knowing spanish allows me to understand Italian fairly well, not great but i can catch every third word. i think it is similar. i can understand very little portuguese, especially continental portuguese.

[ January 24, 2002: Message edited by: Saladbar ]

Re: Only one thing missing - 01/25/02 02:48 AM

I can speak fairly good Italian, but I can understand very little spanish. However, if it is written, I can translate roughly. I would have liked some form of Italian translation in the DVD collection though
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Only one thing missing - 01/25/02 07:34 AM

Weird. I studied Spanish and Italian, and they were very similiar. (Well, similiar enough to make the second easier to learn; and similar enough to also confuse the hell out of me). Portugese, on the other hand, is Greek to me grin

JG

[ January 25, 2002: Message edited by: J Geoff ]
Posted By: J_Manzi

Re: Only one thing missing - 01/25/02 01:47 PM

Originally posted by DoN KraYziE:
hmmm that is a bit strange thay should have had at least spanish which is a usual subtitle or dub thats included and it is close to italian

Yeah, Italian is similar to Spanish, as they are both "romance languages," but that doesn't mean Spanish should be included in the movie. Besides, in "The Godfather" movies they speak Sicilian dialect, and Sicilian is in some ways a *lot* different from standard Italian and Spanish, because of the Arab, Greek and other influences.

Re: Only one thing missing - 01/25/02 03:09 PM

I just found this out the other day, French, Italian and Spanish are 3 romance languages, but what is the fourth? JG, you hit the nail on the head with the confusion aspect, and as such I seem to have developed a Spanish block! I still believe that I could have enjoyed the film differently even with subtitles.

[ January 25, 2002: Message edited by: Sermanni ]

[ January 25, 2002: Message edited by: Sermanni ]
Posted By: Don Tommasino

Re: Only one thing missing - 01/25/02 06:30 PM

The Italian subs would have made it superb, but I still miss a thing or two.
First, the family tree could have been better. The graphics are ugly and not friendly to the eye.
Second, I need more interviews with the cast. What was/is Sofia's reaction to the criticism? And what about a comment or two from Andy Garcia or Brando?
All in all it's fantastic though.

Later
Posted By: DoN KraYziE

Re: Only one thing missing - 01/27/02 10:23 PM

Romance languages - derived from Roman: Spanish, French, Italian, was there a fourth? maybe ur thinking of roman
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: Only one thing missing - 01/27/02 10:57 PM

Sicily was actually part of Spain until about 1860 when Garibaldi for Italy took it back.

Turi's fact for the day......
Posted By: DonAlx

Re: Only one thing missing - 01/28/02 01:36 AM

i think they should have had spanish subtitles, the godfather is my dads favorite movie but hes cuban and he hast to watch it in english subtitles, he wasnt to happy. I dont have much of a problem seeing as english is fine with me, i love my GF dvd collection and i have no problem.
Posted By: Tyler Durden

Re: Only one thing missing - 01/28/02 03:26 AM

I agree with DonAlx.

Re: Only one thing missing - 01/28/02 07:01 PM

the fourth romance language is Romanian.
Posted By: blythe

Re: Only one thing missing - 01/29/02 04:28 AM

i think all romance languages have a lot in common. knowing a bit of spanish, a lot of french, and next to zero italian, i was able to understand the GF films almost without ever looking at the subtitles.

i think the only thing missing from teh DVD collection is that i would have liked to see outtakes. there were some, during the screen testing for GF one, when FFC was trying so hard to get pacino cast in the film. but i would have liked to see others, possibly from GF 2 or 3.
Posted By: persiangodfather

Re: Only one thing missing - 01/29/02 05:43 PM

I still think a retrospective, feature-length documentary was needed to improve this already-excellent DVD collection.
Posted By: Don Marco

Re: Only one thing missing - 01/30/02 08:24 PM

The 4th romance language is Latin.

Re: Only one thing missing - 01/31/02 12:46 AM

I think a bit of clarification here is required; Romance languages are derived from Latin, and hence, Latin is not itself a Romance language. The following ARE Romance languages:

French
Spanish
Italian
Romanian
Portuguese

There may be others (for example, is Bretagne considered a dialect of French, or a language in its own right?), but the above five are definite.

And for the record, it is nothing short of SCANDALOUS if the Godfather DVD Colection does not have Italian audio or subtitles.

Re: Only one thing missing - 02/02/02 12:22 AM

I always thought that Portuguese had far too much of an African input to be considered a romance language. I read that there were four, and Portuguese was not one of them. But you probably know better than me.
Posted By: DonAlx

Re: Only one thing missing - 02/02/02 01:06 AM

well gf doesnt have too much romance in it so you dont have to worry about them using a romance language. Just be happy you got the dvd collection, its the best one there is.

Re: Only one thing missing - 02/02/02 03:00 PM

http://www.encyclopedia.com/articles/11094.html

I've read elsewhere that Catalan is also Romance, although I always thought it was just a dialect of Spanish.

[ February 02, 2002: Message edited by: persiangodfather ]
Posted By: Anthony Spilotro

Re: Only one thing missing - 02/24/02 10:47 PM

If you want to experience the movies in Italian, go to J Geoff's site where he has all the scripts typed out. Then, copy and past it onto www.freetranslations.com. Translate it from English to Italian and there ya go! But, if you're gonna do this, I suggest you ask J Geoff's permission about taking somehting from his site first.

Re: Only one thing missing - 03/19/02 11:39 AM

Doesnt work, those free translation services are diabolical. I knew a guy who wrote an essay for his class using it and the grammar is terrible. Got 8% so he did. And Catalan is half French, half Spanish, and is therefore a language of its own
Posted By: Snake

Re: Only one thing missing - 03/19/02 10:08 PM

Well, thank God they don't have subtitles offered in Classical Greek! I took that for 2 straight years (had to read Homer in his native language and everything!), and I've no doubt it's the most difficult language to master on earth! Funny thing, though: while taking it made me understand English grammar, syntax, etc. better. I've also discovered it is somewhat easier to grasp another language (regardless of what it is) if you've studied a language other than your own. But I'm no Don Tommasino yet!
Posted By: Ricardo

Re: Only one thing missing - 03/22/02 08:59 PM

Originally posted by Claudia:

I speak Portuguese, which is closer to Spanish than Italian and can understand neither Spanish or Italian!! And my family is from Calabria in Italia!! capice?
Portuguese and SPanish are VERY different. Italian and SPanish and French are SLIGHTLY different. There like American and English.

If you're Italian, why would you learn Portuguese before Italian? or Spanish?

Re: Only one thing missing - 03/22/02 09:12 PM

Originally posted by Don Alessandro:
If you want to experience the movies in Italian, go to J Geoff's site where he has all the scripts typed out. Then, copy and past it onto www.freetranslations.com. Translate it from English to Italian and there ya go! But, if you're gonna do this, I suggest you ask J Geoff's permission about taking somehting from his site first.
I was just gonna recommen Free Translations. Have you noticed that if type something in ENglish, translate it to Italian,and then translate to English it means somethign deifferent?

Try copying the GF Transcript into Italian, then translating that back, you'll get different words.

For instance- I'll make him an offer he can't refuse

Might come back as

I made an offer that couldn't be refused.

It's not personal, Strictly business=

It is not personal, it is of the tight business.

Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in.
=
Just when I think that it is outside, they pull it supports myself in.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse.

Port-Estou indo fazeê-lo uma oferta ele nao pode recusar.

Norweg-Jeg drar å å lage ham et som tilbud han ikke kan.

Italia-Vado farlo una offerta non può rifiutare.

Germ-Ich kann ihn ein Angebot das er nicht abweisen werde machen.

Fren-Je vais le faire une offre il ne peut pas refuser

Span-Yo lo haré una oferta él no puede rehusar.

Italian, Spanish, and French are similar.

Portuguese, Norwegian, and German are all different.
Posted By: Antonio Mancini

Re: Only one thing missing - 03/23/02 06:53 PM

hi, i just want to make a little correction in the translation into spanish of the quote "i'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse" it's not very different from the prev. post but there's a little diference tough.
by the way, spanish could be a difficult language because of the accents and all the rules and is not very similar to portuguese or french. or even italian. i speak Spanish and French and i'm currently learning Italian and they're very different.

[I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse.

Span- Voy a hacerle una oferta que no podrá rehusar.

Portuguese, Norwegian, and German are all different.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Re: Only one thing missing - 03/27/02 10:01 PM

Originally posted by Antonio Mancini:
hi, i just want to make a little correction in the translation into spanish of the quote "i'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse" it's not very different from the prev. post but there's a little diference tough.
by the way, spanish could be a difficult language because of the accents and all the rules and is not very similar to portuguese or french. or even italian. i speak Spanish and French and i'm currently learning Italian and they're very different.

[I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse.

Span- Voy a hacerle una oferta que no podrá rehusar.

Portuguese, Norwegian, and German are all different.
[/QB][/QUOTE]

There was NOTHING wrong with my transaltions. They were copied directly from the fretransaltion.com answer I got when i asked the question. How else woud i have typed Accent marks, huh?
Posted By: Willi Cicci

Re: Only one thing missing - 04/07/02 01:12 AM

I guess thats why I ordered my R2 copy from Italy so that I could enjoy these classic movies in both English & Italian
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET