GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 90 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,094
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,352
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,485
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,213
Posts1,056,162
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rosario "Sal" Gambino acquitted in Italy #761636
02/03/14 02:27 PM
02/03/14 02:27 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline OP
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline OP
G
Underboss
Veteran mobster Gambino acquitted of drug trafficking

'Pizza connection' kingpin served 22 years in the US

03 February, 16:04

ANSA) - Palermo, February 3 - An Italian appeals court on Monday acquitted veteran Italian-American Mafia boss Rosario Gambino of drug trafficking charges, overturning a 20-year sentence imposed by a trial court.

Gambino, 70, cousin of well-known late New York kingpin Carlo Gambino and a member of one of New York's five Cosa Nostra families, was extradited to Rome in 2009 after a long judicial wrangle.

Italy sought to extradite Gambino 12 times between 2001 and early 2009 before he was finally flown to Rome on May 23, 2009.

In 2001 Gambino was convicted in absentia for drug trafficking between the US and Italy. The original arrest warrant for Gambino was issued by slain crusading Italian anti-Mafia prosecutor Giovanni Falcone.

It resulted in a 20-year jail term, later reduced to 16 on appeal.

Gambino has already served 22 years in jail in the United States for heroin trafficking in the landmark 1980s 'Pizza Connection' case.

According to court papers, Gambino and his two brothers were key members of the organisation that moved more than $1.6 billion of heroin into the States through pizza parlors from 1975 to 1984.

The resulting trial, which ran from October 1985 to March 1987, was one of the biggest in US history.

Gambino was also linked to the late Michele Sindona, an international banker and Mob money launderer poisoned in jail in 1986 while serving life for the 1979 murder of lawyer Giorgio Ambrosoli, liquidator of Sindona's banking empire.

Gambino is believed to have helped Sindona stage a bogus kidnapping that served as cover for last-ditch attempts to recover Mob money and call in political favours.

http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubriche/...g_10008073.html

Re: Rosario "Sal" Gambino acquitted in Italy [Re: Giancarlo] #761640
02/03/14 02:39 PM
02/03/14 02:39 PM
New Jersey
Dellacroce Offline
Underboss
Dellacroce  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
anyone think he will try to join his brothers in Brooklyn?

"Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fucking time."

-Jordan Belfort
Re: Rosario "Sal" Gambino acquitted in Italy [Re: Giancarlo] #761644
02/03/14 02:49 PM
02/03/14 02:49 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline OP
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline OP
G
Underboss
Technically i think he was deported back to his home country but i could be wrong on that. And then when he entered Italy he was arrested on those charges from the 1980's.

Del i don't think he's allowed back here in the USA. But again i'm not positive on his legal status here.

But then again i believe all his children are american citizens and i think his wife is too but i'm not positive. So maybe he can come back. Really not sure.

Last edited by Giancarlo; 02/03/14 02:53 PM.
Re: Rosario "Sal" Gambino acquitted in Italy [Re: Giancarlo] #761645
02/03/14 02:51 PM
02/03/14 02:51 PM
New Jersey
Dellacroce Offline
Underboss
Dellacroce  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
yeah i was thinking that might be the case.

"Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fucking time."

-Jordan Belfort
Re: Rosario "Sal" Gambino acquitted in Italy [Re: Giancarlo] #761647
02/03/14 02:56 PM
02/03/14 02:56 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline OP
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline OP
G
Underboss
I know he wasn't an American citizen...i think he was a permanent guest or some shit like that. His 2 brothers though i'm pretty sure did become citizens here and thats why they were never deported.

Re: Rosario "Sal" Gambino acquitted in Italy [Re: Giancarlo] #761656
02/03/14 03:28 PM
02/03/14 03:28 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
That's right. He isn't allowed back here. Also the reason he was deported is because he wasn't an american citizen, just a permanent resident. But he can never come back. If he had become an american citizen and carried dual citizenship, things would have been different. But even then, certain people are not permitted to become a citizen, if they are not seen as an upstanding person or they have a criminal record, etc.

If your kids are born here, they are automatically american citizens, but in his case, where he was not a citizen, that automatically gives his children dual citizenship with Italy, which they will keep unless they would ever renounce their italian citizenship.

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.

Re: Rosario "Sal" Gambino acquitted in Italy [Re: Giancarlo] #761660
02/03/14 03:47 PM
02/03/14 03:47 PM
T
TommyGambino Offline
Underboss
TommyGambino  Offline
T
Underboss
Why do articles always say Rosario is a member of the Gambino's? Only John and Joe are.

Even if he could get back into the states I doubt he would, he's in pretty bad health and will want to spend his days in the sun.

Re: Rosario "Sal" Gambino acquitted in Italy [Re: Giancarlo] #761663
02/03/14 03:59 PM
02/03/14 03:59 PM
P
padrone Offline
Made Member
padrone  Offline
P
Made Member
Carmela is correct. As a permanent resident convicted of an aggravated felony, he is ineligible to apply for re-admission into the United States. Once convicted of an aggravated felony and deported there is very little one can do. The deportation alone bars him from re-entry for a period of ten years. He may be eligible for a non-immigrant waiver if he wanted to come as a visitor not a permanent resident. but, being who he is and what he was convicted of, it is unlikely that the consulate in Naples would grant the waiver.

Re: Rosario "Sal" Gambino acquitted in Italy [Re: Giancarlo] #761666
02/03/14 04:12 PM
02/03/14 04:12 PM
New Jersey
Dellacroce Offline
Underboss
Dellacroce  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
im guessing that rossario wasnt a citizen is probly the main reason why extradition to italy in the first place. im just going off of memory here, but from what i remember both John and Rosario Gambino were in pretty much the same situation where they were both found guilty and jailed for drug trafficking in the US for their part of the pizza connection and Italy wanted them both extradited to be tried for the same crimes. they didnt grant John's extradition request because he would be tried for the same crime that he already served time for and the judge said that was unconstitutional but yet they granted extradition for Rosario...i never really understood the judicial process there, unless im missing something.

-Jordan Belfort
Re: Rosario "Sal" Gambino acquitted in Italy [Re: Giancarlo] #761667
02/03/14 04:15 PM
02/03/14 04:15 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline OP
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline OP
G
Underboss
"Permanent Resident"....thats it. Thanks.

As far as i know he can't come back. His 2 brothers were never deported but i think there still might be arrest warrants out for them in Italy and if they ever entered Italy or a sympathetic country they would be arrested. I know they tried to get John sent back but he finally won in court and was eventually released without be shipped back.

So they can't go to Italy and Rosario can't come here. I guess if they ever want to get together it would have to be in a country like the Dominican Republic....where several of their former associates are.

According to my friend on the RD... Felice...he said Rosario leads a pretty quiet life these days back in Palermo. Not sure if he's active or not...he didn't think so....but he wasn't positive.

Re: Rosario "Sal" Gambino acquitted in Italy [Re: Giancarlo] #761691
02/03/14 07:32 PM
02/03/14 07:32 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline OP
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline OP
G
Underboss
The thing with Rosario Gambino was that the Italians wanted him to serve out a 20 year sentence for the same thing he served 25 years for here in the USA. When it started looking like he'd win in court the USA decided to just deport him and let the Italians deal with it. So he was deported back to his home country and then was arrested on the outstanding warrants. I'm not positive but i'm pretty sure thats basically how it went.

That was also the argument that John Gambino used in his fight to avoid extradition in 2005. He did 15 years here in a broad plea deal that basically covered his entire criminal activity from the 1970's up until his sentencing in 93 or 94.

John Gambino was not deported after serving his sentence because he's an american citizen...and he wasn't extradited back to Italy because the appeals judge here in the USA said Gambino's plea deal covered the crimes he was wanted in Italy for. 15 years is no picnic but it covered everything...Murder, International Drug Dealing, Racketeering, Gambling, loan sharking and even jury tampering. The whole OC menu i guess you could say. After the first trial ended up as a mistrial Gambino and his brother Joe cut a decent deal with the feds considering everything it covered.

I'm no lawyer but what Padrone and Carmela said sounds right to me...about the family and US citizenship and the rights you get with it. Rosario's big mistake was not becoming a citizen when he had the chance to. I know John became one in the late 1960's...not sure when his brother Joe did...but i know eventually he became a citizen.

Re: Rosario "Sal" Gambino acquitted in Italy [Re: Dellacroce] #761702
02/03/14 09:25 PM
02/03/14 09:25 PM
Ted Offline
Underboss
Ted  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Dellacroce
im guessing that rossario wasnt a citizen is probly the main reason why extradition to italy in the first place. im just going off of memory here, but from what i remember both John and Rosario Gambino were in pretty much the same situation where they were both found guilty and jailed for drug trafficking in the US for their part of the pizza connection and Italy wanted them both extradited to be tried for the same crimes. they didnt grant John's extradition request because he would be tried for the same crime that he already served time for and the judge said that was unconstitutional but yet they granted extradition for Rosario...i never really understood the judicial process there, unless im missing something.

I thought it was because John and Joe pleaded guilty while Rosario didn't. I don't know why that makes a difference, but that's what I always thought.

And why wouldn't Rosario become a US citizen? He was already found guilty in Italy and knew they wanted to deport him. It only makes sense that he should apply for citizenship.

"I die outside; I die in jail. It don't matter to me," -John Franzese
Re: Rosario "Sal" Gambino acquitted in Italy [Re: Ted] #761704
02/03/14 09:34 PM
02/03/14 09:34 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Originally Posted By: Ted

And why wouldn't Rosario become a US citizen? He was already found guilty in Italy and knew they wanted to deport him. It only makes sense that he should apply for citizenship.

Sometimes it's just a formality they don't bother with. Sometimes like I mentioned earlier, they don't qualify as a good citizen to be a citizen, so they stick with the permanent residency.
Once he's found guilty in Italy, it's very well he does not qualify for American citizenship.
My husband's been in this country 20 years and still not a citizen. Sometimes they just can't remember that George Washington was the first president. I made a funny there.

Re: Rosario "Sal" Gambino acquitted in Italy [Re: Ted] #761706
02/03/14 09:48 PM
02/03/14 09:48 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline OP
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline OP
G
Underboss
I thought it was because John and Joe pleaded guilty while Rosario didn't. I don't know why that makes a difference, but that's what I always thought.

Ted....John Gambino and his brother Joe pleaded innocent and went to trial. The only charge they were convicted of was jumping bail. The jury was hung on all the other counts. Then right before the retrial they cut a deal. I think the government might of been worried about losing so they offered the deal and the 2 Gambino brothers took it. 15 years for everything.

I think Rosario could of easily cut a deal too back in 1984 for 10 years but he fought it and ended up being sentenced to 40 or 45 years.

Re: Rosario "Sal" Gambino acquitted in Italy [Re: carmela] #761707
02/03/14 09:57 PM
02/03/14 09:57 PM
New Jersey
Dellacroce Offline
Underboss
Dellacroce  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
Originally Posted By: carmela

Sometimes it's just a formality they don't bother with. Sometimes like I mentioned earlier, they don't qualify as a good citizen to be a citizen, so they stick with the permanent residency.
Once he's found guilty in Italy, it's very well he does not qualify for American citizenship.
My husband's been in this country 20 years and still not a citizen. Sometimes they just can't remember that George Washington was the first president. I made a funny there.

not your best one carm grin

-Jordan Belfort
Re: Rosario "Sal" Gambino acquitted in Italy [Re: Dellacroce] #761708
02/03/14 10:01 PM
02/03/14 10:01 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Originally Posted By: Dellacroce
Originally Posted By: carmela

not your best one carm grin

touche'.

fucker. grin

Re: Rosario "Sal" Gambino acquitted in Italy [Re: Giancarlo] #761709
02/03/14 10:02 PM
02/03/14 10:02 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline OP
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline OP
G
Underboss
Speaking of Joe Gambino i was watching that NatGeo show on Jimmy Calandra and the Bath Ave crew a few weeks ago. They showed a photo of Calandra in prison. I noticed right away.. the guy second from the right in the back row standing is Joe Gambino.

Calandra is the guy sitting in the front row on the far right.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull