GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (DanteMoltisanti), 92 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,332
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,699
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,500
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,276
Posts1,057,668
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones #644031
04/16/12 09:07 AM
04/16/12 09:07 AM
The Army Barracks
The_Don_Is_Dead Offline OP
A Rabid Anti-Dentite
The_Don_Is_Dead  Offline OP
A Rabid Anti-Dentite
Made Member
The Army Barracks
Two of my personal favorites of all time however who do you think is the better band? Both of these bands have been influential to rock and modern music heavily borrows elements that these bands created or made popular (the use of synthesizers with The Beatles and the blues roots with The Stones.) Here is my favorite song from each band.

Strawberry Fields Forever - The Beatles

Sympathy For The Devil - The Rolling Stones

The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 04/16/12 08:52 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Last edited by The_Don_Is_Dead; 04/16/12 09:08 AM.

The more i see, the less i know - John Lennon
Re: The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones [Re: The_Don_Is_Dead] #644032
04/16/12 09:26 AM
04/16/12 09:26 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
In my book they are the two greatest rock bands of all time, but I think the Beatles are better. Much better.

The Beatles wrote some early songs for the Stones, and in watching Lennon and McCartney huddle around a piano and create music, Mick Jagger got the idea of writing songs himself.

Lennon once quipped that every time the Beatles released an innovative track, the Stones would come out with a copycat version of it shortly after. I'm not sure how true this, but I think it's fair to say that the Beatles were more of an inspiration for the Stones than vice-versa.

You picked two great songs. I posted in another thread that my favorite Beatle tune is While my Guitar Gently Weeps. My favorite Stones' song is Let's Spend the Night Together.

There are many posters on the board, who know much more about music in general, and the Beatles in particular. Their comments will be very interesting.

Re: The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones [Re: The_Don_Is_Dead] #644033
04/16/12 09:38 AM
04/16/12 09:38 AM
The Army Barracks
A Rabid Anti-Dentite
A Rabid Anti-Dentite
Made Member
The Army Barracks
I adore both While My Guitar Gently Wheeps and Let's Spend The Night Together klydon. Listen to Muddy Waters' cover of LSTNT Klydon. There was a time when i listened to While My Guitar Gently Weeps every night before going to sleep (the album version) there's just something about that song that got me hooked (the overall sound and the Clapton solo.)

Re: The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones [Re: The_Don_Is_Dead] #644038
04/16/12 10:16 AM
04/16/12 10:16 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
I just listened to the Muddy Waters' version for the first time. It's outstanding.

Re: The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones [Re: klydon1] #644043
04/16/12 10:57 AM
04/16/12 10:57 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Great question Don is Dead.

I LOVE both groups and have been fans since day one. Of course now you're talking "my era" so I suppose have a little prejudice to that time period. smile

Sympathy with the Devil IS one of my favorites but if I had to choose one of the many many Stones songs, it likely would be "You Can't Always Get What You Want" with my favorite Stones album, "Let It Bleed". Yet they've had so many hits and Jagger, tho older still sounds the same and of course nobody "Moves Like Jagger." lol

The Beatles too had so many hits both as a group and separately. I love nearly all of their music. I favor their later stuff more so than the early recordings but they had many great songs. For me, if I had to pick a favorite (and it's very hard), I'd go with "A Day In The Life." Favorite Beatle album remains for me, the White Album.

All & all, given the fact that the Beatles started a NEW wave in music with their totally different look & sound that changed the music industry not to mention influenced an entire generation of teenagers worldwide, I had to vote for them. I was around, but too young to be "into" the Elvis craze when he arrived on the scene, BUT will NEVER forget the excitement that surrounded the Beatle craze. Great time to be a teenager. I only regret that of all concerts I've seen I NEVER got to see either the Beatles or The Stones. Damn!! mad

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 04/16/12 10:58 AM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones [Re: The_Don_Is_Dead] #644045
04/16/12 11:20 AM
04/16/12 11:20 AM
Amsterdam
C
Chopper2012 Offline
Capo
Chopper2012  Offline
C
Capo
Amsterdam
Definitely the Rolling Stones for me...not from that era but love me some Jagger and Richards..

Re: The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones [Re: The_Don_Is_Dead] #644048
04/16/12 11:23 AM
04/16/12 11:23 AM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Beatles - they changed music. I like the Stones, but I wouldn't put them in the same catagory, but then again I wouldn't put anyone in the same catagory as the Beatles.

"After all, we are not communists"

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Re: The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones [Re: The_Don_Is_Dead] #644055
04/16/12 11:59 AM
04/16/12 11:59 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

The Beatles are the best band ever so for me it's the Beatles..Rolling Stones where a better live band though, not that i ever saw them both.. smile

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones [Re: DE NIRO] #644057
04/16/12 12:11 PM
04/16/12 12:11 PM
California

California
It was around 1964/65 or so (can't remember exact year). The Beatles were HUGE. My best friend was going to Detroit, Cobo Hall, to see the Beatles in person. She asked me if I wanted to go. My parents wouldn't let me travel way to Detroit EVEN THO my friends father was driving her there. frown Boy I was mad and really regret not being able to go.

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 04/16/12 12:12 PM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones [Re: The_Don_Is_Dead] #644059
04/16/12 12:18 PM
04/16/12 12:18 PM
The Army Barracks
A Rabid Anti-Dentite
A Rabid Anti-Dentite
Made Member
The Army Barracks
I'm surprised that this age old question hasn't been asked before on this site ohwell well i've done something similar this time moving onto the 70's with Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin

http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=644058&#Post644058

Re: The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #644060
04/16/12 12:20 PM
04/16/12 12:20 PM
The Army Barracks
A Rabid Anti-Dentite
A Rabid Anti-Dentite
Made Member
The Army Barracks
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
It was around 1964/65 or so (can't remember exact year). The Beatles were HUGE. My best friend was going to Detroit, Cobo Hall, to see the Beatles in person. She asked me if I wanted to go. My parents wouldn't let me travel way to Detroit EVEN THO my friends father was driving her there. frown Boy I was mad and really regret not being able to go.

TIS

What i would give to have been around those days just to see John and George (two of my personal heroes.) And i agree with you on the White Album (underrated when compared to SPLHCB and Revolver.) John once called it an encyclopedia of rock, and how could you not agree with that statement, Julia and Helter Skelter were both on this album grin

Last edited by The_Don_Is_Dead; 04/16/12 12:25 PM.

Re: The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones [Re: The_Don_Is_Dead] #644090
04/16/12 02:45 PM
04/16/12 02:45 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Its not even close. BEATLES.

One of the fortunate things bout them aside from their enormous talent is that they weren't around long enough to become a parody of themslves. Can't say the same of the Stones.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones [Re: The_Don_Is_Dead] #644117
04/16/12 05:36 PM
04/16/12 05:36 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

The Stones.

The Beatles had some great stuff but I've never understood the God-like worship of them.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones [Re: The_Don_Is_Dead] #644151
04/16/12 10:30 PM
04/16/12 10:30 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Being of an age where I can remember the '60s (on my good days!), I'll say first that both bands left their mark on me.

And dontomasso, above, makes a very telling point.

But, overall, I'd definitely say the Beatles.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones [Re: IvyLeague] #644153
04/16/12 10:46 PM
04/16/12 10:46 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
The Stones.

The Beatles had some great stuff but I've never understood the God-like worship of them.

I agree totally!!

As an aside: when I was a baby, John Lennon was on trial at the SDNY Courthouse, where my dad was a court clerk. It was Lennon's deportation trial or some crap like that. Anyway, my dad's judge ruled that Lennon would be allowed to stay in the US. My dad asked Lennon for his autograph, and he gave it to him, made out to me.
I sold that baby on ebay for 1200.00 back in 2006. I couldn't care less about having an autograph from Lennon. I heard though, that if he hadn't made it out to me and had NOT put my name on it, it would've been worth a LOT more. Had his famous little caricature on it, too.
I think all the Beatles came thru that courtroom at one time or another.

Last edited by carmela; 04/16/12 10:47 PM.

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.

Re: The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones [Re: carmela] #644154
04/16/12 11:04 PM
04/16/12 11:04 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
It's a great question because it's so difficult:

Lennon/McCartney were the greatest songwriting team in R&R history. I own the Complete Beatles sheet music for guitar, and everytime I turn a page, another great song jumps off it. Not one of their albums was devoid of a great song, and three--Rubber Soul, Revolver and Help!--were absolute five-star, with lots of others just behind them. But Beatles quit touring in '66, and did not leave us with any really exciting live albums. I had one from Shea Stadium--good but not great.

Where Beatles were a great studio/pop group, Stones were a brilliant blues/live recording band. Their live work--particularly Get Your Ya-Yas Out and Love You Live--earned them the sobriquet, "the greatest R&R band in the world." Sometimes they almost were. Check out the movie, "Gimme Shelter," and you see why. Made plenty of good studio albums too, especially "Let It Bleed." But they didn't produce anywhere near as many great songs as the Beatles.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones [Re: The_Don_Is_Dead] #644181
04/17/12 05:20 AM
04/17/12 05:20 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
It's funny - Sympathy for the devil and Strawberry Fields are also my favorites.
I love them both, but if I would have to choose which music to take to an island, it would be The Beatles.
It's been mentioned many times before that The Stones were the better live band. I was lucky having seen them twice.
But even more important: The Stones have many more songs you can dance to. The Beatles just a few. Most of their rock'n'roll stuff is on their early records. Their last dancing number, I would say, is "Drive My Car" on Rubber Soul.

Re: The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones [Re: Danito] #644207
04/17/12 10:05 AM
04/17/12 10:05 AM
California

California
Originally Posted By: Danito
It's funny - Sympathy for the devil and Strawberry Fields are also my favorites.
I love them both, but if I would have to choose which music to take to an island, it would be The Beatles.
It's been mentioned many times before that The Stones were the better live band. I was lucky having seen them twice.
But even more important: The Stones have many more songs you can dance to. The Beatles just a few. Most of their rock'n'roll stuff is on their early records. Their last dancing number, I would say, is "Drive My Car" on Rubber Soul.

Now that you mention "dance" songs. I have always said you, even at the very very beginning of a Stones song, you can't help but tap your feet and/or get up and dance. smile

TIS

Re: The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones [Re: carmela] #644238
04/17/12 01:38 PM
04/17/12 01:38 PM
The Army Barracks
A Rabid Anti-Dentite
A Rabid Anti-Dentite
Made Member
The Army Barracks
Originally Posted By: carmela
The Stones.

I agree totally!!

As an aside: when I was a baby, John Lennon was on trial at the SDNY Courthouse, where my dad was a court clerk. It was Lennon's deportation trial or some crap like that. Anyway, my dad's judge ruled that Lennon would be allowed to stay in the US. My dad asked Lennon for his autograph, and he gave it to him, made out to me.
I sold that baby on ebay for 1200.00 back in 2006. I couldn't care less about having an autograph from Lennon. I heard though, that if he hadn't made it out to me and had NOT put my name on it, it would've been worth a LOT more. Had his famous little caricature on it, too.
I think all the Beatles came thru that courtroom at one time or another.

ARE YOU INSANE?!?!?!?!?! Oh god what i would do for a Lennon autograph ohwell

Here's an interesting vid (a few parts long) that looks at the music of The Beatles from a technical standpoint, it'll make you all appreciate them more than you do already lol

Last edited by The_Don_Is_Dead; 04/17/12 01:39 PM.

Re: The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones [Re: The_Don_Is_Dead] #644257
04/17/12 03:10 PM
04/17/12 03:10 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Nice video..

Who do people think is better Elvis or Sinatra? For me Elvis was where it all began..

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones [Re: DE NIRO] #644259
04/17/12 03:13 PM
04/17/12 03:13 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Nice video..

Who do people think is better Elvis or Sinatra? For me Elvis was where it all began..

Elvis. The King outranks the Chairman.

Re: The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones [Re: klydon1] #644263
04/17/12 03:37 PM
04/17/12 03:37 PM
California

California
Absolutely Elvis. smile I love Frank, but Elvis for me.

smile

TIS

Re: The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones [Re: DE NIRO] #644270
04/17/12 03:49 PM
04/17/12 03:49 PM
H
ht2 Offline
Capo
ht2  Offline
H
Capo
Nice video..

Frank was the first big teen idol (bobby soxers) in pop music, but Elvis surpassed him in popularity. The focus on the teen market probably started with Sinatra.

The big match-up was usually between Elvis and Beatles fans.

Re: The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones [Re: The_Don_Is_Dead] #644313
04/18/12 01:00 AM
04/18/12 01:00 AM
The Army Barracks
A Rabid Anti-Dentite
A Rabid Anti-Dentite
Made Member
The Army Barracks
Elvis was alright never on the level of The Beatles though tongue

Re: The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones [Re: The_Don_Is_Dead] #644340
04/18/12 08:49 AM
04/18/12 08:49 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
I like both the Beatles and the Stones. My wife loves the Beatles and hates the Stones...so if i ever put a Stones CD on she screams at me to "turn those old buggers off"...... lol

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones [Re: klydon1] #644522
04/19/12 09:01 AM
04/19/12 09:01 AM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Our Rolling Stones are much better than your Beatles!!!1!

No seriously, da fuq? Beatles, man. The Beatles.

The Stones.

It's because they're awesome. Don Tomasso nailed it;

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Its not even close. BEATLES.

One of the fortunate things bout them aside from their enormous talent is that they weren't around long enough to become a parody of themslves. Can't say the same of the Stones.

It's, like, the mythology man.

Originally Posted By: klydon1
Nice video..

Elvis. The King outranks the Chairman.

This.

(cough.)

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull