Home

casting young santino (sonny) corleone...

Posted By: LeroyBrown

casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 09/06/06 10:35 PM

...the rumour: part four continues the tragic downfall of the once mighty corleone family with vincent mancini/corleone taking over operations from michael but getting into all kinds of nasty, and ultimately fatal, trouble in the drug trade. also there's a sub-story involving the bloody adventures of sonny corleone in his youth much like part two gave us the vito corleone story culminating in his killing of fanucci (we all have our fanucci's in life, do we not?) thus crowning him a "man of respect" in his neighbourhood.

possible conflict idea: vincent, an untested don swimming amidst mafia sharks fiercely loyal to michael and before him his father vito, must fight for control against michael's son and his group (a true blood corleone directly descended from the great don michael), his son realizing there is far too much power and wealth for him to forsake the familiy business to be an artist. perhaps a more recognizable actor to portray this pivotal part.

ben affleck as young sonny? yes, i think so. perfect casting. bring back pacino as michael of course. francis ford coppolla presents...a michael mann picture...4!

read my movie ideas: http://www.callumhouston.com
Posted By: BarrytheBull

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 09/08/06 05:43 PM

Ben AssLick as a young Sonny??? I think you have to go with Scott Cann......looks just like his ol man at that age. Maybe Ben as a young Michael, but not Sonny.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 09/13/06 02:51 AM

Yea go with Scott as young Santino.
Posted By: Mr. Bobby Fontaine

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 09/21/06 02:32 PM

Okay Fellas,

I've never cared for Affleck personally, but he is VERY GOOD in HOLLYWOODLAND, and he really was the ONLY thing going for PAYCHECK; and it's got me thinking:
If Ben Affleck had to be a part of GFIV, y'know who he should play? THE YOUNG TOM HAGEN. Yes indeed. I'm still for Scott Caan for the young Sonny, and I think DeNiro is the perfect age to play a "middle aged" Vito.
And to boot, I think Paul Giamatti would be a scary-hilarious casting decision for a young Hyman Roth! So, whattayathink?

Lemme Know,
Bobbo
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 10/04/06 08:00 AM

I wouldn't even let Ben Affleck READ the TITLE of the script, let alone have him (try to) act in, any Godfather-related film. OMG. :rolleyes:

Unless, of course, you're his agent and are casting... then I'm in!
Posted By: Ice

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 10/04/06 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
I wouldn't even let Ben Affleck READ the TITLE of the script, let alone have him (try to) act in, any Godfather-related film. OMG. :rolleyes:

Unless, of course, you're his agent and are casting... then I'm in!
but he did write a pretty damn good movie 'goodwill hunting'

atleast it appealed to me when it was first released that is.

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 10/04/06 06:17 PM

as a young sonny u gotta admit he would fit the part. tall lean and he looks pretty mean.
Posted By: Ace_Reutzel_dup1

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 10/04/06 09:09 PM

You gotta go with Scott Caan.

Ace
Posted By: the angel of justice

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 10/09/06 08:13 PM

I don't dislike Affleck as much as I used too, but he's just not right for Sonny.

I've not posted on here for a while, but back when I used too, a lot was being said about Leonardo Di Caprio (not by fans on here, but that's who was being talked about) and at the time, I thought it was ridiculous, but having watched The Departed, would it be ridiculous to suggest him? He was brilliant. Such nonchalent violence and quick temper. Very impressed.

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 10/10/06 01:06 AM

I like Leo as an actor but he doesnt have an italian bone in his body.

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 10/11/06 07:52 PM

Despite the fact that his father was Italian, neither Marlon Brando nor James Caan were/are Italian!

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 10/11/06 09:34 PM

I knew you were gonna say that!

I don't know if Affleck is either, but he is damn closer than Leo.

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 10/12/06 09:07 PM

But it's true. And Leo's father is Italian.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 10/24/06 03:15 PM

Leo proved his acting chops in The Departed. Affleck is a joke.
He could have never played Santino.

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 10/24/06 07:54 PM

Oh lets not all worship Leo now b/c of this departed movie. I always thought he is a great actor too but for Santino?

Puhleeze.
Posted By: DonRoberto

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 12/04/06 08:51 PM

My question: how do you have "young" Sonny Corleone in a film about Vincent Mancini Corleone? I mean, how much did Sonny really have to do with Vincent, other than to make him during a one night stand?
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 12/05/06 12:47 AM

Personally, I think that someone like Lillo Brancato would be perfect to play a young Sonny. Good looking, cupid shaped lips, an arrogant yet likeable style, and a street guy.

Don Cardi
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 12/05/06 12:58 AM

I agree, but by the time he gets out of prison he'll be old enough to play Vito.
Posted By: Mr. Bobby Fontaine

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 12/26/06 12:40 PM

Fellas,

I'll try this again: I'm not suggesting Affleck for anything. I think Scott Caan's more than able (and probably willing) to do this project, if it happens. But for a young Tom Hagen, who's instrumental to the story, I think Affleck might be an okay choice; think "young Duvall."
My REAL breakthrough suggestion/sounder was this: can you see Paul Giamatti playing Hyman Roth in the 30s/40s? ((That's the 1930's and '40's, now...though I suppose the character would be close to that in age, as well.))
I've always thought of Affleck as a hack, but really, after HOLLYWOODLAND, I've got a new respect. That's all.
And, as a sidenote, I do like DiCaprio in many films; his performance in THE DEPARTED actually does show a "Sonny Corleone-like" style and approach in places, excepting that he's, y'know, a COP in that one. So again, what do you think of Giamatti? Everytime I see the scene of Roth on the sofa in Cuba from GODFATHER PART II I think "who would play this guy in his 30's?" He and Strasberg DO bear somewhat of a resemblance to one another, no?

Okay,
Bobbo

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 12/28/06 06:05 PM

Personally, I'd love Giamatti as Roth. Understated and soft on the outside yet diabolical and plotting.
Do you think that Paramount would be more inclined to cast a more mainstream Jewish actor and if so who ?
PLEASE don't say Jeremy Piven !
Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 12/28/06 07:14 PM

Quote:
My question: how do you have "young" Sonny Corleone in a film about Vincent Mancini Corleone? I mean, how much did Sonny really have to do with Vincent, other than to make him during a one night stand?

Good point. There is no connection between Sonny and Vincent other than bloodline, so the flashbacks to young Sonny wouldn't have the weight that Vito's flashbacks had.

That is, unless you frame the flashbacks a certain way. Maybe Vincent is trying to find ways to get in touch with his father and heritage. Maybe after Mary's death he's gone soft, and needs to find a way to tap into that Corleone rage that his father embodied. Under these themes, I think that pauses in the modern day story line would be excellent points to insert flashbacks of a young Sonny.

Posted By: DonPacino

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 02/16/07 09:00 PM

Di Caprio or Scott Caan
Posted By: illevaihcaM

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 02/20/07 08:02 PM

My question is this why do the flashback? It has been done and done well why mess with perfection. The GF4 should be how does Vincent start running the Family and does he run it like a
Corleone. Does Michael son Anthony want in now that his sister is dead. Does he run the Family
Posted By: DonPacino

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 02/20/07 08:12 PM

But think about the gap of events between the Vito we see at the end of GF2 and the Vito we see at the start of GF1, dont you want that explainig?
Posted By: wtwt5237

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 06/14/07 04:07 PM

I suggest the Godfather IV story ends in the loud talking of GangsterBB forum.
Posted By: whisper

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 06/14/07 06:54 PM

Fuck Ben Afflek full stop as any character.It just wouldn't be right.Especially for Santino!!!
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 06/14/07 07:27 PM

Will Ferrell

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 06/14/07 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Will Ferrell

Chris Kattan (Corky Romano) as Tom Hagen.
Posted By: whisper

Re: casting young santino (sonny) corleone... - 06/14/07 11:03 PM

I'd rather see Clive Owen play Santino instead of Ben Afflek!!!!
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET