Home

Irish Mafia vs US Mafia Today

Posted By: furio_from_naples

Irish Mafia vs US Mafia Today - 12/19/20 11:07 PM

In the 1920s and 1930s the Irish Mob that was less organizated respect Cosa Nostra lost and must pay tribute to the Italians.
Now that from the 1980s American Mafia had lost much of his power and families like Pittsburgh or Cleveland are defunct,the Irishmen regained what had lost? and for example,in Boston after Bulger what have the much weight the italians or the Irishs?
Posted By: Galassi70

Re: Irish Mafia vs US Mafia Today - 12/21/20 04:06 AM

Cleveland never had a Irish Mob. That whole Danny Greene Celtic Club
Thing was nothing more than a trailer mobile home set up.
He had a couple wanna be's fan boys in.his crew with Irish last
Names. One was his own son, another Kevin.McTaggert..Billy Duffy.
After Greene died his crew joined the Murray Hill gang.
So.much.for "Irish Loyalty"
Now in.the Cleveland Political Machine...that was Irish American
Dominated.
Posted By: Cm

Re: Irish Mafia vs US Mafia Today - 12/21/20 04:08 AM

In Boston there is no Irish mob left there’s a couple guys here and there that are left over but they are usually connected to lcn

Re: Irish Mafia vs US Mafia Today - 12/21/20 10:58 AM

So in the United States there are no Irish Mob left?
Posted By: TheKillingJoke

Re: Irish Mafia vs US Mafia Today - 12/21/20 11:33 AM

I remember reading somewhere that there's an Irish crew operating from Gloucester City, New Jersey. Can't find any substantial evidence for this though so it's just hearsay.
Like South Boston, there probably is activity and they probably still make solid money, but anything resembling something as big as Cosa Nostra? Not at all.
Posted By: Zorro

Re: Irish Mafia vs US Mafia Today - 12/21/20 07:38 PM

Furio, based on your name im assuming that you aren't from America so I'm gonna help you out. This whole Irish mob thing has been so exaggerated its ridiculous. First of all, the whole rivalry thing is overblown, maybe in the 20s and 30s when immigrants were fresh off the boat they hated each other, but not now, at least from my experience. Growing up in rhode island we hung out with Irish kids all the time, we had no issues. We got along good. Im talking 80s and 90s here. Second, the idea that Irish guys told Raymond or anyone else involved in this thing in rhode island what to do is so ridiculous its laughable. Hollywood has pushed that narrative for the last 20 years or so, started with The Departed, it makes for good storylines I guess. There was one movie, I cant remember which one, which shows whitey beating up one of the angiulo brothers lol, there would have been bodies stacked up in the streets if that shit was real lol

Re: Irish Mafia vs US Mafia Today - 12/22/20 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Zorro
Furio, based on your name im assuming that you aren't from America so I'm gonna help you out. This whole Irish mob thing has been so exaggerated its ridiculous. First of all, the whole rivalry thing is overblown, maybe in the 20s and 30s when immigrants were fresh off the boat they hated each other, but not now, at least from my experience. Growing up in rhode island we hung out with Irish kids all the time, we had no issues. We got along good. Im talking 80s and 90s here. Second, the idea that Irish guys told Raymond or anyone else involved in this thing in rhode island what to do is so ridiculous its laughable. Hollywood has pushed that narrative for the last 20 years or so, started with The Departed, it makes for good storylines I guess. There was one movie, I cant remember which one, which shows whitey beating up one of the angiulo brothers lol, there would have been bodies stacked up in the streets if that shit was real lol

Thanks Zorro,finally a decent answer.
Posted By: majicrat

Re: Irish Mafia vs US Mafia Today - 12/22/20 08:57 PM

I respectfully disagree. Mickey Spillane and his gang was def a force, and later on when Coonan took over they may have been out of control but make no mistake they made money and they were feared. Were they "huge", no. Probably never more than 15 actual members. And they were respected by both the Genovese and Gambino families. To just dismiss them as a Hollywood fantasy (in NYC) anyway is not fair in my opinion.
Posted By: Hollander

Re: Irish Mafia vs US Mafia Today - 12/26/20 03:35 AM

Irish and Italians had a lot in common in the US for example proud Catholics.

Re: Irish Mafia vs US Mafia Today - 12/26/20 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by majicrat
I respectfully disagree. Mickey Spillane and his gang was def a force, and later on when Coonan took over they may have been out of control but make no mistake they made money and they were feared. Were they "huge", no. Probably never more than 15 actual members. And they were respected by both the Genovese and Gambino families. To just dismiss them as a Hollywood fantasy (in NYC) anyway is not fair in my opinion.

No I dont think,in the 1976 with the Jarvis Center in Hell Kitchen,the Genoveses preferred to kill the Westies instead share the profits with the Irishmen despite was the Westies territories.
Posted By: Rat

Re: Irish Mafia vs US Mafia Today - 12/26/20 02:32 PM

At it's heyday the Irish mob was never that big

The infamous Westies were just 10-20 guys.

There were a few more sophisticated and large Irish mobs but none were even on par with a small LCN family. There was usually no structure in place thus when a bust or two happened the entire organization usually fell apart.

A lot of the Irish gangs, were very similar to Philidelphia in the 90s. Small groups of gangsters that grew up together with simple rackets and were ready to use violence whenever.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET