Home

Decavalcante Crime Family questions

Posted By: JackieAprile

Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 01/24/20 08:53 PM

Hey,

I have some questions regarding the Decavalcante Crime Family upon which the Sopranos are partly based:

1) When would you say the peak of this family was, and how influential/respected was it at that point?

2) The Sopranos are called by the New York Family they're associated with nothing more than a "glorified crew." Would such a statement have ever been accurate of the Decavalcantes?

3) At their height, how much freedom did they have?

4) Lastly, at their height, how many made guys approximately did they have?
Posted By: Revis_Knicks

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 01/25/20 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by JackieAprile
Hey,

I have some questions regarding the Decavalcante Crime Family upon which the Sopranos are partly based:

1) When would you say the peak of this family was, and how influential/respected was it at that point?

2) The Sopranos are called by the New York Family they're associated with nothing more than a "glorified crew." Would such a statement have ever been accurate of the Decavalcantes?

There have been a few “golden ages” of the mob. You could really say from the 30s-50s was their golden age or from the 60s-mid 80s.

I do not think the Decavalcantes were a glorified crew but they did seem like an extension of Brooklyn crews in a way. They had a lot of connections there. I’m not sure how many made guys.
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/09/20 09:25 AM

1) 1960s to 1970s, Decavalcante gained a lot of respect and influence as boss to where that family was 3rd to the Genovese and Lucchese crime families in New Jersey. Nationally Decavalcante gained some power.

2) 1990s

3) almost alot, but Genovese and Lucchese kept them in check. Then lost a lot of freedom when they aligned with Gotti.

4) At their height, Decavalcante doubled the membership to over 60 members in New Jersey, New York, Florida, California, Nevada, and Maryland.
Posted By: LuanKuci

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/09/20 12:56 PM

Here’s a sixth question: how are they ranked as of today? Above, below or on par with Philly? Membership estimates as well as overall influence.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/09/20 05:54 PM

Below Philadelphia. 42 confirmed made members, less made members then Philadelphia, but have more active members on the streets. Philadelphia has more influence and better earners than Decavalcante.
Posted By: TheDon1999

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/09/20 11:52 PM

Imagine being 3rd in your own city. It's like the Colombians coming to New York and taking over the illegal gambling, loan sharking, construction, extortion. I feel sorry for the DeCavalcantes haha.
Posted By: Fleming_Ave

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/12/20 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by TheDon1999
Imagine being 3rd in your own city.

In their city of Elizabeth, New Jersey they are second to no one. Much less 3rd.
Posted By: pmac

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/12/20 01:00 AM

they get to recruit from the whole state of new jersey im sure there not having a hard time filling the ranks.nyc did them a favor by telling them stop recruiting guys from nyc makes them more inclusive to there home turf imo

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/12/20 01:01 AM

like the colombos in brooklyn. they might be the smallest family in nyc but they always have number like any other family in that boro
Posted By: Lenox

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/12/20 01:49 AM

Elizabeth is right next to staten island which is next to brooklyn, hence some made decalvacante in brooklyn and staten island.
Alot of the guys were also from the towns surrounding Elizabeth such as linden, roselle park, union, even clark. A lot live by the shore.
Fyi, Spirito’s is closing down.
Posted By: flamingokid123

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/12/20 03:17 AM

Does Elizabeth still have strong Italian presence?

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/12/20 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by flamingokid123
Does Elizabeth still have strong Italian presence?

No it doesnt, very few. Elizabeth is now very hispanic and black in certain area’s that you would not want to venture into.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/12/20 02:56 PM

I thought they “abandoned” Elizabeth as their main HQ and relocated along the shore. They certainly still have some clubs and cafes/restaurants there.
Posted By: DanteMoltisanti

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/12/20 04:09 PM

They’re still around here in Jersey in three primary areas - Elizabeth Area, Newark Area, and Toms River Area.

Toms River area at the shore as most of the Peterstown Section of Elizabeth moved down there in the 80s and 90s so it’s not so far fetched. Toms River and Brick areas of the shore are probably the most Italian areas of Jersey these days. They’re into primarily construction still via General Contracting and the ancillary services that go along with being a GC. They are mostly Sicilian-American guys who can trace their roots back to Ribera Sicily, which was where most of the people who settled in Peterstown Elizabeth came from.

That Stango kid crew were brokester jerkoffs who were mainly into drugs and being fat slobs.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/12/20 06:28 PM

Dante
I agree with what you said.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/12/20 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lenox
Dante
I agree with what you said.

Where are you from? You can PM me

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/12/20 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by DanteMoltisanti
They’re still around here in Jersey in three primary areas - Elizabeth Area, Newark Area, and Toms River Area.

Toms River area at the shore as most of the Peterstown Section of Elizabeth moved down there in the 80s and 90s so it’s not so far fetched. Toms River and Brick areas of the shore are probably the most Italian areas of Jersey these days. They’re into primarily construction still via General Contracting and the ancillary services that go along with being a GC. They are mostly Sicilian-American guys who can trace their roots back to Ribera Sicily, which was where most of the people who settled in Peterstown Elizabeth came from.

That Stango kid crew were brokester jerkoffs who were mainly into drugs and being fat slobs.

The just read stats back in 2017 has Tom's River 1 and Brick 2 towns with most Italians in Jersey. And Jackson has alot to they were 5th. I thought Jackson was trashy redneck area. My hometown Wash. Twp..south Jersey.was 6th.

Sorry I would post I dont know how from my phone.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/12/20 09:07 PM

Jackson has changed a lot and is getting built up. A lot of staten islanders and some from brooklyn( italians) have moved to jackson.
There is an excellent pizzeria there called “ Brooklyn square, Very good. Just like spumoni gardens.
Posted By: VitoCahill

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/13/20 03:03 AM

any intell on who the new boss is???
have only seen charles majuri's name on various sites but nothing confirmed.
is joseph the old man miranda still the underboss?frank nigro consigliere?
Posted By: VitoCahill

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/13/20 03:05 AM

philip abramo also was released in 2018 being a longtime capo.
Posted By: Hollander

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/13/20 03:19 AM

Joe Gatto would travel a lot between NJ and Ribera.

Stefano Vitabile, Giuseppe Schifilliti, Francesco 'Joe' Gatto
[Linked Image]

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/13/20 03:42 PM

Wasnt Abramo residing in Tom's River area along with Consalvo?

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/13/20 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by VitoCahill
any intell on who the new boss is???
have only seen charles majuri's name on various sites but nothing confirmed.

Schifilliti, Vitabile and Abramo were also convicted of conspiracy to murder Majuri. Any info about this?

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/13/20 06:13 PM

Consalvo lives in NYC believe it or not. He is legit now.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/13/20 07:06 PM

Thank you Lenox. All good stuff.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/13/20 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by pmac
like the colombos in brooklyn. they might be the smallest family in nyc but they always have number like any other family in that boro

That’s right Pmac. The Colombos dominated Brooklyn for a good long time. And they had 3 of the biggest money makers in mafia history. Franzese and the 2 car guys.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/13/20 09:11 PM

It’s never too late to straighten your life out until it really is too late. Do you know what he does for a living now that crime it out?

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/13/20 09:30 PM

Cafe

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/13/20 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Revis_Knicks

It’s never too late to straighten your life out until it really is too late. Do you know what he does for a living now that crime it out?

I think that's a wise move. If you are legitimate, you don't have to worry about a knock on the door.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/13/20 11:58 PM

Jackson has changed a lot and is getting built up. A lot of staten islanders and some from brooklyn( italians) have moved to jackson.
There is an excellent pizzeria there called “ Brooklyn square, Very good. Just like spumoni gardens.

Barstool sports just posted a review on YouTube of Brooklyn square . Portnoy gave it a score of 8.9 The pizza looks great. Must have been there yesterday.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/14/20 12:43 AM

Barstool sports just posted a review on YouTube of Brooklyn square . Portnoy gave it a score of 8.9 The pizza looks great. Must have been there yesterday.

Place is great , I order it all the time! It’s just like Spumoni Gardens. He has locations in Jackson, Toms River, and Manalapan. I usually order the vodka pie, Johnny Pepe, clam pie, and the Brooklyn Square. I just used them to cater my SuperBowl party, guy had great pasta dishes too. Solid all around

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/14/20 02:58 AM

Brooklyn square opened in Toms River? Did he franchise it out or is it the same owner?

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/14/20 03:46 AM

funny i just seen it to the ownwer didnt want to mention the name l&b and portnoy started saying the name and how its over rated the guy looks in into the camera and like i know nothing. i laughed in my head cause the colombo family was like beating guys up for stealing the recipe or branding it square pizza or whatever. watch it at the end. the owner seemed like a really good person poor gude had cancer and a hot wife and money. hes like im not leaving this behind lol. that was one of the first reviews i waatched in along while cause i just seen someone mention it in a thread yesterday. his reviews jumped the shark awhile ago 1 2 yrs
Posted By: OakAsFan

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/15/20 09:06 PM

The OP mentions The Sopranos. Junior on The Sopranos makes a comment with historical context. He says something to Bobby about how "old man Profaci knew how to split his enemies". Joe Profaci I believe was influential in the Newark family being divided among the five families and the Elizabeth family, the latter merger being the beginning of what is now the DeCavalcantes. I wonder what Junior means in regard to the similarities between the beginnings of the Decavs and Richie's failed coup against Tony, or if he meant that at all. Could have just been the writers throwing a real name out there to add authenticity.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/16/20 12:28 AM

The Sicilians still control the family like the Gambinos and Bonannos.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/16/20 09:03 AM

Yeah, one of the major differences between the real life’s NJ family and the Sopranos is that, on the show, most of the guys were of Neapolitan/Campanian origin, or overall non-Sicilians (Silvio Dante’s people were Calabrians and Patsy’s heritage is Apulian) while the DeCavs are mostly Sicilian. This factor was never mention in the many “Facts vs Fiction” articles and blog entries about the series.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/16/20 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by LuanKuci
Yeah, one of the major differences between the real life’s NJ family and the Sopranos is that, on the show, most of the guys were of Neapolitan/Campanian origin, or overall non-Sicilians (Silvio Dante’s people were Calabrians and Patsy’s heritage is Apulian) while the DeCavs are mostly Sicilian. This factor was never mention in the many “Facts vs Fiction” articles and blog entries about the series.

The show was loosely based on the Genovese NJ faction led by Richard Boiardo.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/16/20 03:07 PM

I do remember reading something about Boiardo. Another minor inspiration for the show was the Lucchese crew led by Tony Accetturo. Although most influence did come from the DeCavs. There were plenty of references, the pork store used as a front, the strip club, a closeted high ranking member, infighting, etc...

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/16/20 03:22 PM

David Chase himself said a lot of the characters are based on the old Boiardo crew in Newark because they were the only mobsters he actually saw growing up. As far as story goes I think season 1 was definitely based on the Decavs, especially with the boss dying of cancer and an old capo starting a war for the throne. I think that's what those wire tapped Decavs were talking about when discussing the show. The later seasons very much resemble the Luccheses trying to kill all of their Jersey crew for holding out earnings. That's where the tension with the Soprano family and John Sack/Carmine begins. John finds out about the HUD scam.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/16/20 05:35 PM

Tony Boy Boiardo was in psychotherapy for a while, just like Tony Soprano.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/17/20 12:29 AM

oakasfan hit the nail on the head.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/17/20 01:09 AM

Michael Franzese spoke about the sopranos recently. He said it’s highly unrealistic because the boss would be killed for seeing a therapist. But that’s the point of the show. Tony knows he’s taking an enormous risk by seeing a therapist and there is even an attempt on his life. He had to eliminate his rivals within his own family. I think Silvio was really the glue that held everything together during the time when Tony told them he was seeing a therapist. Paulie was talking behind Tony’s back at the end of the season 1 finale and Christopher was so mad that he ran out of the office. Silvio seemed unsure about it at first but he knew that Tony was the best man that could head the family so he clearly and openly supported him.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/17/20 02:18 AM

. i bet the decav family is in good shape the basically probaly all related in live in a few towns in new jersey. last time guys flipped was 20yrs ago . there all mostly sicilian so they probaly fit right in with the old cherry hill gambinos guys and probaly related threw marriges ect

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/17/20 03:51 AM

Franzese = Carmine Jr?

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/17/20 08:31 AM

In 2012 Gennaro Sortino died at the age of 90, he had returned to Ribera after sixteen years in hiding in the USA. His son Emanuel Sortino is also believed to belong to the mafia clan of Ribera.
Giuseppe Capizzi, a prominent man of honour from Ribera is the number two of the mafia in the province of Agrigento and the right arm of Giuseppe Falsone. He is a son of Simone Capizzi, sentenced to life imprisonment in the Akragas trial.
The leaders of the Ribera gang are in a true trait d 'union with the Palermo mafia and with a stable connection with the Decavalcante clan also supported by the Bonanno clan.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/17/20 10:43 AM

The Decavalcantes have strong connections to Cattolica Eraclea and Realmonte as well. Before their arrests, Giuseppe Falsone and Gerlandino Messina were planning to send some members over at the request of Emmanuel Sortino and Francesco Guarraci, but as far as I know that never panned out. Are you talking about the Bonanno clan in Palermo province or the Magaddino clan in Castlemmare Del Golfo?

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/17/20 11:54 AM

Guarraci ran the Ribera Social Club in Elizabeth, New Jersey, the DeCalvacante clan's main headquarters. Each year, the Ribera club raised money for the St. Joseph's Orphanage in Ribera according to Rotondo they would have guaranteed grants to the orphanage supported in this also by the Bonannos. Again according to Rotondo, these donations concealed money laundering maneuvers.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/17/20 01:17 PM

Any intel on their current hierarchy?
Posted By: JackieAprile

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/17/20 05:09 PM

Not only that, but are they actually a family nowadays? Or a crew of one of the NY Families?

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/17/20 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by OakAsFan
Franzese = Carmine Jr?

Maybe that’s why he has a hard time accepting the show lol. Whirlpool washing machines were Carmine Jr’s version of Franzese’s gas scams.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/17/20 06:25 PM

Not only that, but are they actually a family nowadays? Or a crew of one of the NY Families?

Based on Giacomo’s post...

Originally Posted by Giacomo_Vacari
Below Philadelphia. 42 confirmed made members, less made members then Philadelphia, but have more active members on the streets. Philadelphia has more influence and better earners than Decavalcante.

... that makes them definitely more than a crew.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/18/20 08:48 AM

@Hollander, ok you are talking about the New York Bonanno crime family.

They are still a family.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/18/20 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Giacomo_Vacari
@Hollander, ok you are talking about the New York Bonanno crime family.

They are still a family.

Yes, in Italian articles they just use the word clan more often even for the US crime families.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/18/20 02:26 PM

The Decav controlled massage parlor on Route 22 is absolute money, I was told by a friend. Smokeshow Latinas....

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/18/20 09:07 PM

"And now we run under the (expletive) Gambinos," Stango told an undercover agent in 2014.
Posted By: JoeTadaro

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/19/20 12:17 PM

The Decav controlled massage parlor on Route 22 is absolute money, I was told by a friend. Smokeshow Latinas....

Is called envy massage or some shit like that

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/19/20 01:46 PM

i wonder why the genovese family would allow the gambino bosses to use the decavs as satellite family across the river, unless philyys like the genovese satellite??? i mean the genovese have always controlled new jersey haveing like 5 crews there probaly 50 members. alot could have changed since 2014 when stagno said that and we never got a reason or understanding what he meant. john gambinos dead and cali. ive read majuri is boss but the guy is old. they did a good job staing out of the news the last few years except when riggi died and that case with stagno and his kid where they tried hiring a undercover biker from rhode island to kill another member nothing happend with other members cause i think they told him not to

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 02/19/20 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by pmac
unless philyys like the genovese satellite?

most likely

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 03/05/20 09:46 PM

Where on Rt. 22? Just educational purposes, of course. lol

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 03/05/20 10:50 PM

An asian message joint is exactly the place to go with the corona virus.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 03/05/20 11:32 PM

An asian message joint is exactly the place to go with the corona virus.

You are absolutely correct about avoiding Asian massage places, but Dante said the women were Latina, not Asian. I wasn't really going to go there anyway. smile

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 03/06/20 12:50 AM

They’re the hottest Latinas ever on Rt 22. Supposedly under Decavs and the joint has been around forever. It’s like a clubhouse with an area to hang out in and play video games lol - never seen anything like it before
Posted By: Stubbs

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 03/06/20 04:54 PM

If y’all like latinas you should come down here to Houston sometime. Shit is wild, so many Latin girls straight off the boat.
Posted By: furio_from_naples

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 03/06/20 06:50 PM

Hey,

1)Under Sam Decavalcante,the family made tons of money with the construction rackets and unions but the Genovese controlled the NJ docks so what remained to decavalcantes was few;
2) Gotti used the Decav like his private murder squad and imposed to repeat 2 induction ceremonies,so wasn't a "glorified crew" but never had the same respect that the Philly mob had in the same period;
3)The same freedom that had the small family respect the big families in NY;
4)There is a 1965 chart (44 confirmed members but was likely almost 60)
[Linked Image]

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 03/09/20 11:31 PM

Is there a recent chart?
Posted By: hoodlum

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 03/10/20 03:04 AM

Is there a recent chart?

I'm sure Furio will come up w/ something 4u .

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 03/10/20 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Stubbs
If y’all like latinas you should come down here to Houston sometime. Shit is wild, so many Latin girls straight off the boat.

Mexicans aren’t the type of Latinas I’m talking about (Colombian, Dominican, Brazilian)
Posted By: Stubbs

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 03/13/20 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Stubbs

Mexicans aren’t the type of Latinas I’m talking about (Colombian, Dominican, Brazilian)

Lmao, we have all of them too here. Not as many Dominicans, but tons of Colombians, Cubans, Venezuelans, etc.

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 03/13/20 10:37 PM

Mexican broads aren’t hot at all - I’m talking Colombian, Dominican, Brazilian, Venezuelan, Cuban, and Puerto Ricans are where it’s at. I was always under the impression Houston was all Mexican but that’s the one city in Texas I haven’t been to yet.
Posted By: GangstersInc

Re: Decavalcante Crime Family questions - 06/08/20 05:05 PM

“I chopped him up so bad” - Profile of DeCavalcante Mafia family soldier Anthony Capo http://gangstersinc.ning.com/profil...profile-of-decavalcante-mafia-family-sol
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET