Home

Cus damato mob connections?

Posted By: streetbossliborio

Cus damato mob connections? - 08/04/18 02:01 PM

Watching a few docs on mike Tyson early career and the legendary trainer is all over them of course. I’m sure this question has been asked before but who was cus connected to? Guessing there must’ve been some connections considering the era he came up in, in nyc, in the boxing world etc
Posted By: OakAsFan

Re: Cus damato mob connections? - 08/04/18 07:42 PM

What makes you think Cus was connected? He may have been extorted in some way and played along for his own safety but that wouldn't make him connected. I'm sure he met the likes of Frankie Carbo and Blinky Palermo at some point early in his career. They ran boxing. Based on all accounts, Cus was a good guy with the best intentions. Took Mike Tyson in as a son.
Posted By: RollinBones

Re: Cus damato mob connections? - 08/04/18 08:07 PM

Yeah I've read that the fact that he wasn't really connected was a problem for him and he lost a lot of fighters to connected managers.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Cus damato mob connections? - 08/04/18 08:18 PM

A quick read: http://www.worldboxingnews.net/2017...f-cus-d-amato-broadcast-from-genoa-italy
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Cus damato mob connections? - 08/04/18 08:19 PM

Here is an article that basically says he had to swim in the same water as others in the Mob-controlled era, but that didn't make him a stooge of the Mafia:

https://www.boxinginsider.com/inter...r-discusses-great-mysterious-cus-damato/
Posted By: ralphie_cifaretto

Re: Cus damato mob connections? - 08/04/18 08:20 PM

Cus D'Amato was as straight as an arrow. I've never heard of him being mobbed up or wanting to associate with those guys. Cus would probably yell at you for pondering that lol.

Re: Cus damato mob connections? - 08/04/18 09:57 PM

Thanks guys for the responses interesting . Wasn’t saying he was criminal FYI just if there was any connections as rightly said it was Mafia infested waters. Like trump in construction etc. Connected is a loose term I suppose maybe I should of said interactions.

Re: Cus damato mob connections? - 08/04/18 11:18 PM

(Dear mods: Politics disclaimer, responding to a mob related question)

Trump knowingly worked with mobsters to his own advantage. He bought mob cement from Castellano and Fat Tony (as a front for Chin, we now know) to bypass union labor. A quick google search will tell you more. There have been entire books and extensive news articles written about it. So, unfair to lump Cus D'Amato into the same lot. As far as anyone knows, Cus never knowingly worked with the mafia. There was a time when the mafia ran boxing and he had no choice but to bite the bar on some extortion rackets, but as far as anyone knows he never deliberately gamed that system.

Re: Cus damato mob connections? - 08/05/18 12:01 AM

I brought trump up FYI re construction mob waters etc and comparing it to the boxing world. Didn’t know there was a history about him on the threads!
Posted By: Hollander

Re: Cus damato mob connections? - 08/05/18 12:12 AM

When he was young he learned to fight in the streets he was a tough guy but he took the honest way. I'm sure he knew the wiseguys.
Posted By: mackinblack007

Re: Cus damato mob connections? - 08/09/18 12:23 AM

Teddy atlas came to Speros trial as a friend for support , he was one of cus main guys fornyrwre .
Posted By: Neo

Re: Cus damato mob connections? - 08/09/18 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by mackinblack007
Teddy atlas came to Speros trial as a friend for support , he was one of cus main guys fornyrwre .

Atlas was also friends with Sammy Gravano but that doesn't mean Atlas was connected to the mob.
Posted By: Flushing

Re: Cus damato mob connections? - 08/15/18 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by OakAsFan

Trump knowingly worked with mobsters to his own advantage. He bought mob cement from Castellano and Fat Tony (as a front for Chin, we now know) to bypass union labor. A quick google search will tell you more. There have been entire books and extensive news articles written about it. So, unfair to lump Cus D'Amato into the same lot. As far as anyone knows, Cus never knowingly worked with the mafia. There was a time when the mafia ran boxing and he had no choice but to bite the bar on some extortion rackets, but as far as anyone knows he never deliberately gamed that system.

(Politics disclaimer): In a city that is 90% democrat, no democrat has ever worked with knowingly worked with the mob. The good folks at Tammany Hall were far too virtuous to bypass unions in favor of cheaper services.
Posted By: njcapo35

Re: Cus damato mob connections? - 08/15/18 01:26 AM

His Mob connections was through a guy named Charlie Black (bookmaker), who was a silent partner in a business (Rosensohn Enterprises) with Fat Tony Salerno.
Posted By: DiLorenzo

Re: Cus damato mob connections? - 08/15/18 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Flushing

(Politics disclaimer): In a city that is 90% democrat, no democrat has ever worked with knowingly worked with the mob. The good folks at Tammany Hall were far too virtuous to bypass unions in favor of cheaper services.

Ha !!
Posted By: jace

Re: Cus damato mob connections? - 08/15/18 04:16 AM

Was Damato ever in prison?

Re: Cus damato mob connections? - 08/24/18 08:38 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JplRSJr8K-g

Tyson first big test with cus being Interviewed throughout. He was from the Bronx so I reckon pizza boy would have some stories about him maybe.

Re: Cus damato mob connections? - 08/24/18 08:39 PM

No he wasn’t in the life. Only reason I posted about him is because he was into boxing when it was Mafia infested.

Re: Cus damato mob connections? - 04/03/20 11:29 PM

We’ve all seen a load of mike franzese interviews so it’s no coincidence that the most fascinating part of this interview is mike Tyson talking about meeting Tony Salerno who came to the gym to see cus damato (socially). Also Tyson mentions how cus hated mob guys as they preyed on other Italians..

Few new bits from Mike franzese too so a pretty good interview all around;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lNlR3lfnLR8

Re: Cus damato mob connections? - 04/03/20 11:32 PM

Oh yeah the final sentence of the interview is Tyson saying “Chris paciello is a good friend of mine.”
Posted By: JakeTheSnake30

Re: Cus damato mob connections? - 04/05/20 05:27 PM

Tyson just had Michael Franzese on and Tyson says he met Fat Tony one time. He said Fat Tony went up to the Catskills to visit Cus. Tyson says Cus grew up around all these guys. Franzese is a bit of a fraud but he does decent interviews. If you want to check it out YouTube hotboxin with mike Tyson Michael Franzese. Love this forum fellas keep up the good work!

-Jake

Ps just realized someone already mentioned this in the post I apologize

Re: Cus damato mob connections? - 04/05/20 05:53 PM

I trust Mike Tyson's stories about the mob more than I do Franzese's. Tyson's been grounded and down to earth for years now and just doesn't have a reason to lie. Franzese, well, isn't.
Posted By: Dob_Peppino

Re: Cus damato mob connections? - 04/06/20 10:41 PM

I trust Mike Tyson's stories about the mob more than I do Franzese's. Tyson's been grounded and down to earth for years now and just doesn't have a reason to lie. Franzese, well, isn't.

do anyone have a clue who "Smiley" might be?
Tyson mentioned a connected guy thay Cus knew. possibly Tyson got the name wrong.

i got the feeling in the interview, Franzese was not in the streets like that. lol He didn't talk like he actually knew the ends and outs of the other families probably didn't know alot about his own Family (like certain people/events)
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET