Posted By: baldo

Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/01/15 01:46 AM

http://nypost.com/2015/09/30/decorated-son-of-sam-detective-dies-at-77/
Posted By: JCrusher

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/01/15 02:04 AM

Sucks. This guy was great and funny in all the documentaries i Have seen him in
Posted By: Belette

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/01/15 03:11 AM

RIP. I always liked his attitude. Most cops try to make the gangsters look important to make themselves look good for catching them. Coffey talked about them like they were assholes. Refreshing.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/01/15 03:23 AM

Yes, he had a real air of authenticity in all of those clips he made for the documentaries and TV shows. One of my favorites: He called on Paul Castellano and his people to warn them not to take vengeance on (I think it was ) Joe Pistone. He gave a good description of Castellano's people--he called them "the jebeeps, with their gold chains..." Castellano agreed. Then, Coffey said, Castellano invited him to his daughter's wedding. "Are you f*****g nuts?" Coffey replied. His expression when recounting this tale was priceless.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/01/15 06:55 AM

Almost done reading his book.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/02/15 11:34 AM

He was a great public servant and an enigmatic guy. R.I.P.

Will miss his presence on these mob docs.

But..... he shouldn't have put that cigar in Galante's mouth after he was rubbed out.

Everybody deserves respect in repose, no matter how bad they were in life.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/02/15 07:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Moe_Tilden

But..... he shouldn't have put that cigar in Galante's mouth after he was rubbed out.

Everybody deserves respect in repose, no matter how bad they were in life.

I think that's just a myth. In his book, Coffey said that by the time he arrived at the restaurant, Galante's body had already been photographed and removed from the scene. He also said the medical examiner determined the blast from the shotgun caused Galante to bite down reflexively on the cigar. He did say it was a "nice idea" but that he didn't do it.
Posted By: mickey2

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/02/15 07:26 PM

RIP Joe!

enjoyed him very much in the documentaries
Posted By: Blackjack2121

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/02/15 10:24 PM

This guy always did get on my damn nerves

Another one of these cops that wanna act like wiseguys while bashing them

Wasnt there a Gambino that was gonna beat his ass at a funeral parlor or something like that and he was stopped?

Cant remember who it was
Posted By: Beanshooter

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/02/15 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Blackjack2121
This guy always did get on my damn nerves

Another one of these cops that wanna act like wiseguys while bashing them

Wasnt there a Gambino that was gonna beat his ass at a funeral parlor or something like that and he was stopped?

Cant remember who it was

Mickie Scars on orders of Gotti through Jackie Nose

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/02/15 11:49 PM

I would bet a hundred dollars Coffey would knock Di Leonardo and D'Amico out.

Most mobsters can't fight worth a shit without guns.
Posted By: alexandarns

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/02/15 11:59 PM

Mickey Scars was acctually very good with his hands Moe,but yes agents had very good hand to hand combat training.
Posted By: DuesPaid

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/03/15 12:18 AM

Sad, good cop.
Posted By: DB

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/03/15 01:17 AM

I agree , how would you know how tough wise guys are ? Have you ever met one ?

Not all are tough and some are definately pussies I agree but Most were neighborhood guys with tempers and given how many did at least some collection and enforcing work in their early days could kick the shit out of your avg Joe , possibly such as yourself , they don't call it hard collecting for no reason
Posted By: SinatraClub

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/03/15 02:07 AM

Paul Castellano also did collecting and enforcing work in his early day, yet according to some on here, he wasn't capable of hurting a fly, let alone being a hitter.

Collecting doesn't necessarily require violence. Hell, a guy balks at a debt, a guy like Junior Gotti, who according to his former cohorts was a complete and total pussy, simply leaves and sends his goons to retaliate later on. He doesn't really have to do it himself.
Posted By: fergie

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/03/15 02:13 AM

Great cop, any comparisons to him being a "wanna be gangster" should be a compliment. To take those guys down, I suppose you have to think like them and to stay clean all that time shows just how strong the guy was
Posted By: bigboy

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/06/15 12:13 AM

A great cop and interesting guy. He always added "Color" to the mob stories.
Posted By: NickyScarfo

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/06/15 12:47 AM

never realized he worked on the son of sam serial killer case til i saw the docu on it the other day
Posted By: mackinblack007

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/06/15 01:09 AM

where do you come up with this bs? if its anybody who can't fight with out guns and steroids its the police.
Posted By: bronx

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/06/15 02:29 AM

agree, joe bilotti had hands of stone..you grow up in the street you better know how to fight..there are plenty of wise guys who i never heard of having a fight..but most guys were very good street fighters, the guys that came from bensonhurst that became a cop, could not or would not fight..they needed a badge to hide behind to get brave in the nabe.. note not to many guys became cops in bensonhurst
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/06/15 02:54 AM

Patsy Parrello takes out all three. Together. Coffey hits the floor with one slap of Patsy's giant paw. In their prime, in their old age, whenever.

Patsy's seventy and you'd still have to be insane to raise your voice, let alone your hands to him. Half the bulls in the 48th wouldn't approach him alone. Hands like catcher's mitts and had a black belt in Judo twenty years before the martial arts became fashionable.

Bronx cops are punks and pussies. I respect the fact that the world needs law and order. But until you've been searched by a Bronx cop for no fucking reason, you're out of your depth. And I'm a fucking white guy.

Sorry for derailing the thread. I enjoyed Coffey's affable personality. RIP, Joe.

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/06/15 03:20 AM

yeah ,agree on patsy.. plenty great street fighters..

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/06/15 09:58 AM

Gerrard Papa and Jimmy emma would probablly beat anybody up...What crew was Gerry with when he switched to the West side Bronx?

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/06/15 10:34 AM

not to sure, might have been colombo's

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/06/15 10:49 AM

After the colombos?Was he with funzy tieri?
Posted By: Blackjack2121

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/06/15 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By: DB
I agree , how would you know how tough wise guys are ? Have you ever met one ?

Not all are tough and some are definately pussies I agree but Most were neighborhood guys with tempers and given how many did at least some collection and enforcing work in their early days could kick the shit out of your avg Joe , possibly such as yourself , they don't call it hard collecting for no reason

When the mob orders a beating,it usually isn't done in a one on one ufc type capacity lol

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/09/15 06:25 PM

Well when you actually have to do manual labour and/or work 14 hour shifts for a living, rather than sit in a social club sipping cappuccinos, eating pastries and talking about what the best haemorrhoid cream is you are going to be tougher.

Look at guys like Kenny McCabe and George Gabriel. Total beasts. They tower over all the mob guys.

Didn't McCabe fight his way through about fifty mob guys trying to beat him to death when he was surveilling a mob funeral once?

Of course there are outliers. Some of the guys mentioned and I'll add to that Matty Ianniello and Joe Butch's son could kick serious ass - but most mob guys are like an advertisement for diabetes.

Look at the Pantaleo kid that took down Garner. Cops are built like jocks.

And I don't envy them in the world we live in now and the crazies that pollute NY.

Anyways I'm rambling.

RIP Joe.
Posted By: mackinblack007

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/09/15 06:42 PM

Well when you actually have to do manual labour and/or work 14 hour shifts for a living, rather than sit in a social club sipping cappuccinos, eating pastries and talking about what the best haemorrhoid cream is you are going to be tougher.

Look at guys like Kenny McCabe and George Gabriel. Total beasts. They tower over all the mob guys.

Didn't McCabe fight his way through about fifty mob guys trying to beat him to death when he was surveilling a mob funeral once?

Of course there are outliers. Some of the guys mentioned and I'll add to that Matty Ianniello and Joe Butch's son could kick serious ass - but most mob guys are like an advertisement for diabetes.

Look at the Pantaleo kid that took down Garner. Cops are built like jocks.

And I don't envy them in the world we live in now and the crazies that pollute NY.

Anyways I'm rambling.

RIP Joe.
lol@mob guys being a add for diabetic meds, cops are known for being fat asses, or steroid abusing cowards who are known to terrorize there family.

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/09/15 06:46 PM

What?!

Okay. I respect your opinion to disagree. We are obviously on two very different wavelengths.
Posted By: Tonytough

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/09/15 07:38 PM

D'Arco described Big Sal Miciotta as a "300lbs rhino made of pure muscle"

Anyone want to fight him?!

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/09/15 07:44 PM

D'Arco obviously didn't read Brotherhoods. Miciotta didn't have kind things to say about him.

(Dis)honorable mention for Stanfa's roided up bodyguard Vince Filipelli.

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/10/15 04:46 AM

joe butch's kid never had a street fight never..a steroid head that's it oh joe's son his claim to fame
Posted By: baldo

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/10/15 08:39 AM

what's the status of joe butch's kid these days? is he respected?

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/10/15 01:31 PM

yes he is ,but not in the leadership or impact person.
Posted By: STREETBOSS

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/10/15 01:50 PM

Yo, Moe don't talk Shit about my boy Vince he*s a good guy my friend.... & As Far As " COFFEY FUK HIM HE PUT MY DEAR FRIEND IN JAIL 4LIFE "......

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/10/15 04:17 PM

D'Arco obviously didn't read Brotherhoods. Miciotta didn't have kind things to say about him.

(Dis)honorable mention for Stanfa's roided up bodyguard Vince Filipelli.

Why, what nice things did Big Sal say about lil Al in brotherhood?

I'm sure Al knows, Big Sal was quoted on same page in Al's book," he fancied himself a tough guy, and smacked around guys he could (whilst doing time with white collar criminals). He was a bully"

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/10/15 04:19 PM

I liked the part where Joe Coffee recants the night he arrested Gotti," u packing tonight john?"

And gotti turns at him looking like he wants to spit on coffee.
Posted By: MemphisMafia

Re: Joe Coffey dead at 77 - 10/12/15 01:35 AM

The mafia has always had a hand in boxing and not just the rigging so I assume several were pretty good with their hands.Gigante and Gravano to name a few.Gravano was trained by one of the best.The story that depicts Coffey to me more than any I have read was in "Murder Machine".In it the task force either lied or were dead wrong and claimed Testa had a package of coke chasing them down and Coffey pistol whipped Testa and put his head in the toilet.To me it sounds as though Coffey just wanted to beat the shit out of him.Who knows I did enjoy his knowledge
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET