Home

Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino

Posted By: Zavattoni

Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/11/15 08:52 PM

This is a random question, but i am a bit curious. Did Carmine Persico and Carlo Gambino have any business dealings together? What did Carlo Gambino think of Persico? I have not heard anything, even tho they were both Bosses of different families.
Posted By: SonnyBlackstein

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/11/15 09:07 PM

Jo Columbo was hit in 71. Persico went into prison that year and didn't get out till 79 (I think). He ran the Columbo's through his UB Yackovelli and his brothers.
Carlo Gambino died in 75 or 76.
So they were never on the street at the same time as bosses.
I'm rusty on my history but I think that's the case.
Posted By: Zavattoni

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/11/15 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: SonnyBlackstein
Jo Columbo was hit in 71. Persico went into prison that year and didn't get out till 79 (I think). He ran the Columbo's through his UB Yackovelli and his brothers.
Carlo Gambino died in 75 or 76.
So they were never on the street at the same time as bosses.
I'm rusty on my history but I think that's the case.

Is Joe Yacovelli still alive? I heard after the Joe Gallo killing, he dissappeared. He was actually pretty young. Early 40's, so it's possible he's still living. Also what years were Carmine Persico on the streets as Boss?
Posted By: domwoods74

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/11/15 09:53 PM

I think persico was on the street just 4 years since 1971
Posted By: Serpiente

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/11/15 09:55 PM

80-84 ish
Posted By: Dwalin2011

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/11/15 10:00 PM

This article

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/11/10/nyregion/persico-rank-rankles-as-he-is-given-5-years.html?scp=36&sq=%22carmine+persico%22&st=nyt

says Persico got 5 years in 1981, yet he was free in 1984, otherwise how could he go into hiding and be included in the "most wanted" list? How much of this 5-year-sentence did he actually serve?
Also, was he always free from 1979 to 1981, and after his arrest in 1984 was he on bail until sentencing in the Commission case or was he never free since 1984?

Really, one of the most unfortunate bosses, spent his whole life in jail.

By the way, is it true he ripped to pieces and threw against the wall Michael Franzese's book after reading it in prison? Some documentary said so, don't remember which one.

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/11/15 10:17 PM

Little story when Carmine got out 79ish (now dont kill me cos this comes from memory not on paper)

Any way most know that his son Larry is a little eccentric ,well Larry he decides to give his father a gift.
Well he does, he gets a couple of the best stone masons left in Brooklyn and brings them up to the compound where there is many very nice homes.All the males in the family have a house there.

The very beginning of the driveway between Carmines and Joyce house(on right) and the caretakers property(where some of the cars are kept)Allie house is on the other side of that.
Anyway Larry has these guys living in the bottom of the caretakers house and would not let them go till they finished his surprise gift for his fathers home coming.

The surprise was a little eccentric just like Larry he had a 20ft gigantic fountain made from these bricklayers .
Now everyone thought he was crazy and the thing would look like shit.
Well let me tell you it is a work of art and it is a great thing to see when you pull into the estate you pull in and go past the fountain between two stone pillars(just like godfather) to a drive that has 200 trees on each side really is a thing of beauty when you see it.
So anyway everyone ate there words and Larry held his head high..and Carmine said he loved it and could see it from anywhere in the front of his house.
It is still there and still a great looking piece....

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/11/15 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Dwalin2011
This article

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/11/10/nyregion/persico-rank-rankles-as-he-is-given-5-years.html?scp=36&sq=%22carmine+persico%22&st=nyt

says Persico got 5 years in 1981, yet he was free in 1984, otherwise how could he go into hiding and be included in the "most wanted" list? How much of this 5-year-sentence did he actually serve?
Also, was he always free from 1979 to 1981, and after his arrest in 1984 was he on bail until sentencing in the Commission case or was he never free since 1984?

Really, one of the most unfortunate bosses, spent his whole life in jail.

By the way, is it true he ripped to pieces and threw against the wall Michael Franzese's book after reading it in prison? Some documentary said so, don't remember which one.

Even before the book through the years there was no love lost between the two famlies .
I know Sonny was away more then Carmine was but it was often talked about how the two never hit it off.
Of course i was not privy to that info aside from a slip here and there this is how I know that there was no love loss.
I know that Sonny is up there now but it is by supply and demand...
Posted By: bronx

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/11/15 10:56 PM

Also tom dibella,

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/11/15 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: bronx
Also tom dibella,

He did not see eye to eye with Sonny also ?
I know he gave to ok to make Michael ...not positive but I am pretty sure and Russo was his skipper...

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/11/15 11:03 PM

with all respect,, larry is a nice guy, never in that life, never could be..he was a stone drug addict since a kid. decades of drugs in him .his brain is fried..he married a wild girl with habits also.. didn't help. didn't think he would live long with all the drug abuse.

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/11/15 11:06 PM

no serp i was adding on to Sonny's answer.. about dibella..

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/11/15 11:07 PM

with all respect,, larry is a nice guy, never in that life, never could be..he was a stone drug addict since a kid. decades of drugs in him .his brain is fried..he married a wild girl with habits also.. didn't help. didn't think he would live long with all the drug abuse.

I am very aware of Larrys problems and many more in the family and would not put anything out there to hurt him ,I see him every 6 to 8 weeks in season ...
That is a good and a true story ,I was right there..

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/11/15 11:08 PM

no serp i was adding on to Sonny's answer.. about dibella..

Got ya ! getting old can't follow so quick anymore lol...
Posted By: pmac

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/11/15 11:45 PM

Scarpa tells the feds they were close. Think Carlo got snake to go to profaci from the gallos plus he did hits for him like killing his boss Albert a. Weather he was the shooter or getaway he must be close to him. There all bosses from Brooklyn. And the. Brother Allie was real tight with funzi tieri gamnbinos close pal. Arod just hit another dong. He should have been on the all-star team the hypocrisy.

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/12/15 12:42 AM

persico had zero to do with that hit, A.A.... he told his brother inlaw a b.s. story that he did it, just a lie for whatever reason
Posted By: pmac

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/12/15 01:03 AM

I agree just weird he'd try to prove himself to anyone the guy killed aton. I was just at Barnes and picked up Sammy's book at the beginning he does give Carmine alot of credit even after his first hit when be got summoned he called him a legend that back in 1970. But ya I like the whole boxer in the hotel room had the weapons and it was Steve armone and maybe a jew. Gamnbinos guys can't double cross. But I'm sure this is debated.

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/12/15 01:05 AM

steve armone , steve coogan and some others is a fact..

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/12/15 07:27 PM

Bronx: That rumor has been around long before the his bro inlaw gave him up.

And it is joked about by many in the know.
But having said that are you saying that the rumor came only from the family member ?
Posted By: 116th_street

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/14/15 11:42 AM

Bronx, do you know if Steve Coogan is still alive? Enjoy your posts btw
Posted By: TommyGambino

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/14/15 12:06 PM

Originally Posted By: 116th_street
Bronx, do you know if Steve Coogan is still alive? Enjoy your posts btw

Nobody knows, according to Capeci his last public sighting was in 2007.

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/14/15 08:01 PM

Hello Serpiente, i don't know when the rumor started nor by whom, only source of that false rumor was by his brother in law that i heard of.. put your money on the two i told you about.

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/14/15 08:02 PM

yes he is.

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/14/15 08:11 PM

Hello Serpiente, i don't know when the rumor started nor by whom, only source of that false rumor was by his brother in law that i heard of.. put your money on the two i told you about.

Understood Bronx , thought I could get some info to use next time it was mentioned . Because it's the young bucks grand sons of Carmines kids and his brothers kids kids that are telling it to a pool deck full of there boys now.And the Orena sons son's also..

Boy how things do change ....
Posted By: SonnyBlackstein

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/14/15 08:17 PM

yes he is.

Wow.

Interesting. Thx Bronx.

Guy'd be due a letter from the queen shortly..
Posted By: Lilange

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/14/15 10:06 PM

Who are two people who have never been in my kitchen?

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/14/15 10:35 PM

sometimes you tell a lie long enough , you believe it..humans are funny that way..but hey if some people choose to believe carmine did that is o.k. for me..i was not part of the hit team that killed A.A. so what do i know ..

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/14/15 11:16 PM

sometimes you tell a lie long enough , you believe it..humans are funny that way..but hey if some people choose to believe carmine did that is o.k. for me..i was not part of the hit team that killed A.A. so what do i know ..

Understood and agreed .
I have always herd it from way back ,and now more then ever ,one I am curious to whom started the rumor and two if it had any truth too it ..

Thanks for posting...

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/14/15 11:46 PM

Thanks, bronx. If he did kill Anastasia, then he must be the biggest legend out there. After sonny of course

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/15/15 01:37 AM

116th, most guys do not know steve g. a.k.a coogan, if you were not an old timer or from first ave crew he was very low key. , it is not something these fellows bragged about, even on the castellano hit before graveno flipped they had some of the guys wrong involved and roach was there and had the wrong guys when he flipped for a minute...who killed jerome johnson..video tapes, 150k people there..nobody arrested or talked about. mystery..plenty of colombo guys flipped ..nothing of value..not sure if gravano even spoke about A.A. hit team? maybe someone out there can say. just a thought would gambino sub this out to profaci, or tommy l? carlo had dozens of guys who did work.why profaci's guys.
Posted By: mackinblack007

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/15/15 05:29 AM

Carmine doesnt need the anastasia hit to be a legend.
Posted By: DiMaggio

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/15/15 06:59 AM

The rumour of persico being involved originated with his cousin? Fred DeChristopher, the guy he was hiding out with, who ratted him out. He told authorities that Carmine had told him of his involvement. No evidence however, backs up Persicos involvement.

Likewise, Gallo's involvement seems dubious because in 1957 he was a loyal Profaci solider. His own war with Profaci was still several years away.
Profaci was aligned with Anastasia and Bonnano against Genovese and Lucchese. To OK A.A hit he would have lost an ally.

The most likely theory is the one Capeci put forward,that the hit came from inside the family. With Anastasia angry at Genovese over the attempted Costello hit...I know Genovese was no slouch but AA was not someone to be taken lightly...he conspired with Gambino and Joe Biondo to take out AA.
The selling of memberships for profit and the unhinged killing of citizen, Arnold Schuster, were the official reasons but Im sure Gambino saw it as his opportunity to climb.
Biondo picked Steve "coogan" Grammauta, Stefano "14th street Steve" Armone and Arnold Wittenburg as the shooters.
Armones relationship with Biondo goes back to the 20's and they served in his crew. Armone himself was made a capo in the 1950's although im not sure if it was before or after the Anastasia hit. Everyone else involved all got promotions so it wouldn't surprise me if it was maybe for his participation in the shooting.
Interestingly, Capeci says that Armones younger brother , Joe "piney" Armone was originally slated to be a shooter but his brother replaced him when he was arrested and jailed. He would go on 28 years later to be involved in another famous hit on a Castellano...seems these Armone boys had no problem with clipping bosses.
Of all involved, Joseph "Joe Banti" Biondo interests me the most. This guy was near the top of the heap and involved with all the big names from the early thirties onward. Involved in high level drugs, with frequent trips to Sicily through the 40s and 50s.Longtime capo with a big crew. Consig through the fist part of 50s and upped to UB after the hit. He was demoted back to solider in 65 after Gambino caught him holding back money from a dump he was partners in with Sam DeCavalcante.

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/15/15 12:43 PM

very true, he is

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/15/15 12:45 PM

very well said Dimaggio,
Posted By: SonnyD

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/16/15 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: DiMaggio
The rumour of persico being involved originated with his cousin? Fred DeChristopher, the guy he was hiding out with, who ratted him out. He told authorities that Carmine had told him of his involvement. No evidence however, backs up Persicos involvement.

Likewise, Gallo's involvement seems dubious because in 1957 he was a loyal Profaci solider. His own war with Profaci was still several years away.
Profaci was aligned with Anastasia and Bonnano against Genovese and Lucchese. To OK A.A hit he would have lost an ally.

The most likely theory is the one Capeci put forward,that the hit came from inside the family. With Anastasia angry at Genovese over the attempted Costello hit...I know Genovese was no slouch but AA was not someone to be taken lightly...he conspired with Gambino and Joe Biondo to take out AA.
The selling of memberships for profit and the unhinged killing of citizen, Arnold Schuster, were the official reasons but Im sure Gambino saw it as his opportunity to climb.
Biondo picked Steve "coogan" Grammauta, Stefano "14th street Steve" Armone and Arnold Wittenburg as the shooters.
Armones relationship with Biondo goes back to the 20's and they served in his crew. Armone himself was made a capo in the 1950's although im not sure if it was before or after the Anastasia hit. Everyone else involved all got promotions so it wouldn't surprise me if it was maybe for his participation in the shooting.
Interestingly, Capeci says that Armones younger brother , Joe "piney" Armone was originally slated to be a shooter but his brother replaced him when he was arrested and jailed. He would go on 28 years later to be involved in another famous hit on a Castellano...seems these Armone boys had no problem with clipping bosses.
Of all involved, Joseph "Joe Banti" Biondo interests me the most. This guy was near the top of the heap and involved with all the big names from the early thirties onward. Involved in high level drugs, with frequent trips to Sicily through the 40s and 50s.Longtime capo with a big crew. Consig through the fist part of 50s and upped to UB after the hit. He was demoted back to solider in 65 after Gambino caught him holding back money from a dump he was partners in with Sam DeCavalcante.

Lot of interesting stuff there yes, but Profaci was never aligned with Anastasia to my knowledge, in fact they were rivals since the twenties from what I remember reading. The Commission politics were very complicated; while Anastasia was allied with Costello against Genovese and Lucchese, Bonanno and Profaci were playing their own game. And as Gambino and Profaci each had their own reasons to take Anastasia out it wouldn't surprise me in the least if that Family had some involvement.

But no, it doesn't seem likely that Persico was in on the hit.

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/16/15 12:32 AM

116th, most guys do not know steve g. a.k.a coogan, if you were not an old timer or from first ave crew he was very low key. , it is not something these fellows bragged about, even on the castellano hit before graveno flipped they had some of the guys wrong involved and roach was there and had the wrong guys when he flipped for a minute...who killed jerome johnson..video tapes, 150k people there..nobody arrested or talked about. mystery..plenty of colombo guys flipped ..nothing of value..not sure if gravano even spoke about A.A. hit team? maybe someone out there can say. just a thought would gambino sub this out to profaci, or tommy l? carlo had dozens of guys who did work.why profaci's guys.

Thanks for a very insightful answer, bronx. Interesting to know that he's alive

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/16/15 10:58 AM

So there was a reason why Carlo could have used that family ,,No. ?
Posted By: SonnyD

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 07/16/15 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Serpiente
So there was a reason why Carlo could have used that family ,,No. ?

One reason would be to avoid any chance of it getting back to Anastasia if they used someone from inside, after all Albert was the Family Boss and had his own very tough crew of killers. Anyone from inside the Family might figure Big Albert was a better bet to come out on top.

Less chance of that using shooters from the Profaci's, many of whom Anastasia had a running feud with. Plus that Family had a lot of top hitmen.
Posted By: mchang93

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 01/04/16 07:33 PM

Persico in his younger days hd the attention of higher-ups of all the families as did the Gallos. If you research the first family charts he is listed as a Genovese soldier, and Valachi had him as one too. I believe Don Carlo and Don Vito used him in AA hit because he was around Red Hook with Gallos and losing AA he needed thugs who ran Red Hook under his wing still. In The Mad Ones,book about Gallos it has a quote saying the Boys which I took to be Gallos and Persico were bosses of Brooklyn at very young age. This led me to believe that after the AA hit with backing of Gambino and Genovese they felt they "ran" Brooklyn and thier actions following showed the same IMO.

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino - 01/05/16 02:20 AM

he didn't do it anyway
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET