Home

Would they make someone half Irish these days?

Posted By: Mr_Willie_Cicci

Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/04/13 04:10 PM

Would friends make someone who was half Italian, half Irish these days?
Posted By: Jimmythepen

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/04/13 04:27 PM

If the proposed guy was a good earner and they thought he would be as stand-up guy then I'm sure they would. Someone on here will know more than I do but I'm sure there are a couple of examples.
Posted By: F_white

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/04/13 04:56 PM

James Marcello mother was Irish and he was boss of Chicago.
Posted By: cheech

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/04/13 08:06 PM

i read somewhere tony mirra was half irish

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/04/13 08:07 PM

i think in the book im reading now contract killer, not sure though....reading so many damn things
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/04/13 09:31 PM

theyre not supposed to, but if its not well known or the guy is well liked i doubt anyone would say anything.
Posted By: jonnynonos

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/04/13 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: F_white
James Marcello mother was Irish and he was boss of Chicago.

Exactly. I remember people opining that they must not have known that but I don't believe it. His dad was a mobster too, for one. Plus just looking at him he has the finest Irish features.

Apparently they just didn't care.
Posted By: meffaboston

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/04/13 10:21 PM

A few made guys from Boston are from Irish heritage and made..salemme was the boss,,,jimmy martorano is a capo an there are a couple others...
Posted By: AntonioRotolo

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/04/13 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: meffaboston
A few made guys from Boston are from Irish heritage and made..salemme was the boss,,,jimmy martorano is a capo an there are a couple others...

Martorano was never a capo. Actually hated Angiulo and "In Town."
Posted By: TonyBoy117

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/04/13 10:40 PM

They would consider them like any other prospective and it may or may not be taken into account, but unless someone else is going out of there way to make a beef about it probably not, its just like Skinny said even in New York that stuff can fly , I can think of almost a dozen off the top of my head and in Boston Frank Salleme who was half irish himself, made his brother, and his son Frank Jr who's mother was Irish as well leaving him one quarter Italian and making him the only known three-quarter-paddy or anything else for that matter to be made, as far as I know.
Posted By: F_white

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/04/13 11:57 PM

Remember that the commission change the rule in the 80's early 90's that guys need to be half Italians on the father side so it can trace it back to Italy.

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/05/13 12:50 AM

Ok James martorano us a capo ...your pro thinking of john,,James is a player in quincy area...

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/05/13 12:57 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/03/19/nyregion/new-indictment-cites-talk-of-killing-gravano-family.html

Good article...martorano is a capo

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/05/13 01:19 AM

Johnny martorano turned states evidence,,his brother James was one of the ones that went down with howie winter in the horse race fixing at suffolk downs... Not sure when he was made but he def is..and I know that his is still around,,he did a bid not sure the time frame...
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/05/13 01:27 AM

Remember that the commission change the rule in the 80's early 90's that guys need to be half Italians on the father side so it can trace it back to Italy.

Supposedly, they changed it back to full Italian in the early 2000's. Though I imagine some well-connected guys, who are only partially Italian, can still get made.
Posted By: Joerusso

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/05/13 01:28 AM

jimmy did 3 and half to 5 or so years im not sure of the exact years but it was around that ballpark figure and i think he was made right after he came home of his appeal of the race fixing case he didnt do that much time on that case
Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/05/13 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: cheech

Mirra was full blooded Italian. His father´s name was Albert Mirra and his mother was a Embarrato. I think she was the sister of Al "Walker" Embarrato, the Bonanno member.

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/05/13 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Mirra was full blooded Italian. His father´s name was Albert Mirra and his mother was a Embarrato. I think she was the sister of Al "Walker" Embarrato, the Bonanno member.

that doesnt guarantee he is full italian, think about it for a few seconds why that doesnt prove it....not saying he is or isnt but your post doesnt prove he is

and i can careless if he was a german mutt
Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/05/13 05:02 PM

that doesnt guarantee he is full italian, think about it for a few seconds why that doesnt prove it....not saying he is or isnt but your post doesnt prove he is

Mirra is an Italian surname. Tony inherited it from his father.
And as I said, his mother was a Embarrato, also an Italian surname. Not Irish.

Cheech, if you can careless if Tony Mirra was a German mutt, why mention "I read Tony Mirra was half Irish"?

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/05/13 05:15 PM

I'm sure there's been a lot of guys throughout the years that have some Irish or another ethnicity blood... Just saying...

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/05/13 05:43 PM

Mirra is an Italian surname. Tony inherited it from his father.
And as I said, his mother was a Embarrato, also an Italian surname. Not Irish.

Cheech, if you can careless if Tony Mirra was a German mutt, why mention "I read Tony Mirra was half Irish"?

because it was the topic, but someones mother/father down the line couldnt have been half irish?

again, thats what it said in the book, really dont care if its true or not

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/05/13 05:43 PM

respect to you old chap
Posted By: LuanKuci

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/05/13 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Supposedly, they changed it back to full Italian in the early 2000's. Though I imagine some well-connected guys, who are only partially Italian, can still get made.

NY-only I imagine.

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/05/13 08:05 PM

With people born before 1950 you can almost always be assured that if both someones parents have an Italian surname that the persons 100 percent, nowadays its possible to find someone with two Italian names and only fifty percent blood, essentially a second generation half Italian if you can understand what I'm saying
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/05/13 08:47 PM

That was the bottom line when they relaxed the rules back in the '80s or '90s. Two good examples are Junior Gotti (a quarter Jewish), and Craig DePalma (his Mom, Terri, is fully Jewish). But look who their fathers were.

Nepotism has gone on in that life when it comes to straightening guys out since the day they pricked their first finger. My point is, it was MUCH easier to get your button if you were only half-Italian if your Dad was a heavyweight himself.

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/05/13 10:23 PM

The rules were very relaxed if ya ask me...aside from who there dads were it was happening all over guys getting made that aren't full Italian...wasn't there Puerto rican capo in the gambinos and look at that Spanish guy from Canada the one that just got whacked in Italy..they got him on the wire saying he's a made man in the family..
Posted By: UnderTheClock

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/05/13 11:10 PM

John Gotti, Jr. of course.
Posted By: GoldenEagle

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/06/13 04:49 AM

I truly believe that if they plan on keeping the mafia going this is a subject that will have to be given great consideration. I understand Cosa Nostra is a strictly Italian thing but as the times change the families are going to have to change with them. These days there are far more opportunities available and a life as a wiseguy does not have the appeal it did in the past. They even have Gotti on a wire tap with Frankie Loc talking about how hard it had gotten to find good recruits. As the talent pool shrinks the families are going to have to find other options. This is probably going to mean they are going to have to relax the ethnicity restrictions. The old time mobsters believed that only Italians cold be loyal to omertà. Well we know from all the informers there have been that this is not true. So if a guy is a good earner and has proven himself who cares if he is full blooded Italian. Or even if his father was Italian. The most important thing is can the guy bring in money or can he be trusted to carry out the dirty work, Italian or not.

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/06/13 10:26 AM

Originally Posted By: GoldenEagle
I truly believe that if they plan on keeping the mafia going this is a subject that will have to be given great consideration. I understand Cosa Nostra is a strictly Italian thing but as the times change the families are going to have to change with them. These days there are far more opportunities available and a life as a wiseguy does not have the appeal it did in the past. They even have Gotti on a wire tap with Frankie Loc talking about how hard it had gotten to find good recruits. As the talent pool shrinks the families are going to have to find other options. This is probably going to mean they are going to have to relax the ethnicity restrictions. The old time mobsters believed that only Italians cold be loyal to omertà. Well we know from all the informers there have been that this is not true. So if a guy is a good earner and has proven himself who cares if he is full blooded Italian. Or even if his father was Italian. The most important thing is can the guy bring in money or can he be trusted to carry out the dirty work, Italian or not.

It will never happen, nor should it. The mob can get what it needs from non-Italian associates without altering one of it's most fundamental rules.
Posted By: HandsomeStevie

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/06/13 10:34 AM

I dont think they will start "making" anybody that is not italian. To understand it you just have to grow up in that kind of culture. Why make guys that are not italian when they could just be a good earning associate?
Posted By: AmericanCrime

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/13/13 04:23 AM

I think nowadays all it takes is an Italian surname. An Italian father will do.

I even heard they made a Puerto Rican. All they asked was he drop the 's' at the end to make it appear more Italian.

Andre(w) Campo(s) IIRC a contemporary of Puff Daddy.

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/13/13 05:33 AM

Originally Posted By: AmericanCrime

I even heard they made a Puerto Rican. All they asked was he drop the 's' at the end to make it appear more Italian.

He goes by Campos. Not Campo. And he has Italian blood. Otherwise, he wouldn't have been made.
Posted By: Chicago

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/20/13 06:24 AM

Ivy, Completely agree. Back in the old days, there were several high level guys in the Outfit who were not Italian at all. Murray Humphreys, Hy Larner, Gus Alex, Sam Alex, Ralph Pierce, Les Kruse, Lenny Patrick, Davey Yarras, Eddie Vogel. These men belonged to the Outfit and were under Murray Humphreys. This was his crew. These men then had men working directly under them full time. This was the Non-Italian Crew of the Outfit. You could say Humphreys and his men mentioned above were High level Associates and the men working under Humphrey's men were lower level Associates. They all belonged to the Outfit but were not considered made. When push came to shove, a high level Italian usually had the advantage. I say usually, because in the case of Murray Humphreys it would have benn debateable. There really was no disadvantage for these men that they weren't Italian except for the fact that they had no real power over other made Italian men. But, as long as they stuck to what they were supposed to do, they were in good standing and no one could touch them.
Posted By: TommyGambino

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/20/13 09:25 AM

Originally Posted By: AmericanCrime

Campos is italian, mum and dad both Italian, it came out in that big case where Andy and Sal Loc made like 400 million or something stupid.

Even if he was only half Italian I'd imagine hed have been made anyway, hes a tough kid and a tremendius earner.
Posted By: southend

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/20/13 12:57 PM

All the Salemme's, Billy Angelesco is rumored to be half irish too, Marcello from the Outfit, Jimmy Martorano's mother was Irish, hmmm....Tommy Del was half fuckin Polish for cryin' outs, then of course gotti jr. half Russian jew. I mean, who don't we know about though that's the question. I'd bet money that the mob doesn't actually trace your roots back to the old country anymore these days, maybe at the most they'll find out some things about your parents, but how many guys u think have just lied? We may never know.
Posted By: mulberry

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/21/13 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By: southend
All the Salemme's, Billy Angelesco is rumored to be half irish too, Marcello from the Outfit, Jimmy Martorano's mother was Irish, hmmm....Tommy Del was half fuckin Polish for cryin' outs, then of course gotti jr. half Russian jew. I mean, who don't we know about though that's the question. I'd bet money that the mob doesn't actually trace your roots back to the old country anymore these days, maybe at the most they'll find out some things about your parents, but how many guys u think have just lied? We may never know.

i thought victoria gotti nee digiorgio was half russian jew which makes junior quarter russian jew

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 06/21/13 12:29 PM

Originally Posted By: mulberry

i thought victoria gotti nee digiorgio was half russian jew which makes junior quarter russian jew

whatever man..

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 07/04/13 05:00 AM

He goes by Campos. Not Campo. And he has Italian blood. Otherwise, he wouldn't have been made.

Yeah his surname is Campos. But he's known on the street as Andy Campo. Giving it more of a wop flair. I heard only his mother was Italian.

Originally Posted By: TommyGambino

Campos is italian, mum and dad both Italian, it came out in that big case where Andy and Sal Loc made like 400 million or something stupid.

Even if he was only half Italian I'd imagine hed have been made anyway, hes a tough kid and a tremendius earner.

Campo is Italian. Campos is more often than not, Hispanic in origin. I had once read his father was a Puerto Rican.

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 07/05/13 01:01 PM

AmericanCrime are you Italian?
Posted By: cookcounty

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 07/05/13 04:08 PM

they've probably made a few Mexicans who can't speak English in NY

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 07/07/13 11:16 AM

ding ding ding ding

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 07/07/13 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By: cookcounty
they've probably made a few Mexicans who can't speak English in NY
We actually have very few real Mexicans in NY, I mean we call them that, but there usually Puerto Rican, Dominican, Ecuadorian, or Cubans, I've lived in NY my entire life and have never met a real Mexican although I passed a few flags in Belmont recently frown

Re: Would they make someone half Irish these days? - 07/11/13 03:34 AM

AmericanCrime are you Italian?

Potentially in part.

My dad's Puerto Rican. And ambiguously part Italian via his mother, as he has lead me to believe. Mother is Irish, coincidentally enough.

But I'm well, aware of the commonality of Latin derived surnames. But I've never met an Italian named Campos.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET