Home

The 'Opting Out' Option

Posted By: EddieCoyle

The 'Opting Out' Option - 08/29/12 12:37 AM

Do you think that in the current climate of hard hitting indictments and law enforcements attention that most gangsters are 'opting out' of being made?
The only guy I can think of who did so was Peter Zuccaro.

Is declining membership a common thing? Is it frowned upon or dangerous?
Posted By: Dapper_Don

Re: The 'Opting Out' Option - 08/29/12 01:26 AM

Where did you read Peter Zuccaro declined being made?
Posted By: Ted

Re: The 'Opting Out' Option - 08/29/12 01:59 AM

There was an article a while back that talked about it. There are a variety of reasons somebody would decline the offer of being made. Some don't like the commitment and demands of a made man. It's also easier to be charged with a RICO case since you are an official member of a criminal enterprise. Although there is a rise in people declining the offer, most eligible associates would love to be made. The Five Families have no problem filling the ranks. It's the quality of the ranks that is a little more difficult.

Re: The 'Opting Out' Option - 08/29/12 02:00 AM

Here's the article I was referring to.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/la_cosa_no_stra_LH9RdDb0S9tLBirtD19ZDM

Re: The 'Opting Out' Option - 08/29/12 02:10 AM

I am familiar with guys declining being made and the article above, I am pretty sure Zuccaro was never in that position.

Re: The 'Opting Out' Option - 08/29/12 02:14 AM

I was responding to the thread starter, not you. I don't know anything about Peter Zuccaro.

Re: The 'Opting Out' Option - 08/29/12 02:18 AM

I know

Re: The 'Opting Out' Option - 08/29/12 02:34 AM

I will quote Anthony DeStefano's Mob Killer

"Peter 'Bud' Zuccaro, a Gambino crime family associate who testified against Charles Carneglia. Zuccaro aspired all his life to be a gangster but passed up the opportunity when the Mob wanted to initiate him into La Cosa Nostra"

He blames Gotti's flashiness and the changing face of La Cosa Nostra from secret society to being in the public eye as his reasoning.

From The New York Post

"After Gotti’s death, Zuccaro turned down the chance to become a made man after becoming disillusioned with the mob lifestyle.

He began drawing away from the Mafia and refused to take part in a hit on a Queens bagel shop owner who was suspected of having an affair with the wife of Gotti’s younger brother."
Posted By: AmericanCrime

Re: The 'Opting Out' Option - 08/29/12 04:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Montague
Is declining membership a common thing?

I read in an article a while ago that it was quickly becoming more prevalent in modern times. Cause it paints a target on their backs for law enforcement and they make less money, as they have to be accoutable for a percentage of their earnings.
Posted By: short841

Re: The 'Opting Out' Option - 08/29/12 08:50 AM

Ivy League Im pretty sure said that since the 80's the Membership numbers have relatively stabalised

Re: The 'Opting Out' Option - 08/29/12 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Montague
I will quote Anthony DeStefano's Mob Killer

"Peter 'Bud' Zuccaro, a Gambino crime family associate who testified against Charles Carneglia. Zuccaro aspired all his life to be a gangster but passed up the opportunity when the Mob wanted to initiate him into La Cosa Nostra"

He blames Gotti's flashiness and the changing face of La Cosa Nostra from secret society to being in the public eye as his reasoning.

From The New York Post

"After Gotti’s death, Zuccaro turned down the chance to become a made man after becoming disillusioned with the mob lifestyle.

He began drawing away from the Mafia and refused to take part in a hit on a Queens bagel shop owner who was suspected of having an affair with the wife of Gotti’s younger brother."

I read that before, I completely forgot about it. My apologies.

Re: The 'Opting Out' Option - 08/30/12 01:38 AM

Ain't no thang
Posted By: Imamobguy

Re: The 'Opting Out' Option - 08/31/12 05:25 PM

Saying "NO" to being made and probably being a Caporegime later is very very odd, I like his plan though. Made Guy's are the serious ones and the Associates usually dont get pinned or not sentenced along due to their position.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET