Home

myth... mobsters are rich

Posted By: Wilson

myth... mobsters are rich - 08/21/12 12:56 AM

Discuss. Also what is the average income of an associate or soldier?
Posted By: Dapper_Don

Re: myth... mobsters are rich - 08/21/12 01:05 AM

While testifying against Gambino crime family boss Peter Gotti, Joe DeFede exclaimed that all he made during his reign as acting boss was $1,014,000, or approximately $250,000 per year. DeFede also estimated that a low ranking family soldier would make on average $50,000 per year.
Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

Re: myth... mobsters are rich - 08/21/12 01:09 AM

I would expect for a low ranking soldier to get some sort of cash. Like a sports book or maybe loansharking. But obviously most of what they make is kicked back up to the big guys I assune.
Posted By: thebarber

Re: myth... mobsters are rich - 08/21/12 12:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
While testifying against Gambino crime family boss Peter Gotti, Joe DeFede exclaimed that all he made during his reign as acting boss was $1,014,000, or approximately $250,000 per year. DeFede also estimated that a low ranking family soldier would make on average $50,000 per year.

There is No way that's all these guys are making . $50K a year ?? U can make more than that just peddling pot.

These guys usually make a lot of money but they spend it just as fast . So are the rich prob not. Pocket rich may B a better definition
Posted By: Ted

Re: myth... mobsters are rich - 08/22/12 12:40 AM

You can't really say how much a soldier makes. Everyone makes a different amount. Some make millions while others make jack.

Re: myth... mobsters are rich - 08/22/12 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: thebarber

There is No way that's all these guys are making . $50K a year ?? U can make more than that just peddling pot.

These guys usually make a lot of money but they spend it just as fast . So are the rich prob not. Pocket rich may B a better definition

That was back then on average in the lucchese familly according to defede, not all guys make loads of cash many guys are brokesters.
Posted By: Five_Felonies

Re: myth... mobsters are rich - 08/22/12 12:53 AM

this seems like one of those topics that there really is never gonna be a concrete answer on. kinda like asking how much does a lawyer make? very subjective and it can vary greatly. with that said $50,000 for a made man in one of the five families seems very low to me. at that rate why not just get a job as a manuel laborer and not have to worry about going to jail?
Posted By: Ivan

Re: myth... mobsters are rich - 08/22/12 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Five_Felonies
this seems like one of those topics that there really is never gonna be a concrete answer on. kinda like asking how much does a lawyer make? very subjective and it can vary greatly. with that said $50,000 for a made man in one of the five families seems very low to me. at that rate why not just get a job as a manuel laborer and not have to worry about going to jail?

Well, avoiding manual labor and school but still making decent money is kind of the point of being a mobster, at least for many.

There are people who will do ANYTHING to avoid working.

Re: myth... mobsters are rich - 08/22/12 12:58 AM

Not being an average joe and have to break the law/cant go on the straight and narrow is a good reason why these guys pursue this life.
Posted By: Mark

Re: myth... mobsters are rich - 08/22/12 01:01 AM

Myth... administrators of mob websites are rich. wink
Posted By: Ivan

Re: myth... mobsters are rich - 08/22/12 01:02 AM

I remember when reading The Idiot's Guide to the Mafia about 10 years ago this line Capeci wrote was kind of an epiphany for me:

"Most mobsters are pretty regular guys, except that are willing to kill to avoid having to go to work."
Posted By: Five_Felonies

Re: myth... mobsters are rich - 08/22/12 01:04 AM

good point guys. DD, you live in NYC so tell me how stressful would it be to only make $50,000 a year with a family while also having to worry about prison? you also have to worry about having to explain how you made that money to the tax man as the days of living off the grid seem to be over at least in the major cities.

Re: myth... mobsters are rich - 08/22/12 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Five_Felonies
good point guys. DD, you live in NYC so tell me how stressful would it be to only make $50,000 a year with a family while also having to worry about prison? you also have to worry about having to explain how you made that money to the tax man as the days of living off the grid seem to be over at least in the major cities.

It would be very stressful and you couldnt really support yourself. Some guys make tons of money some guys are constantly broke in the mob.

Re: myth... mobsters are rich - 08/22/12 01:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark

Correct whistle
Posted By: Mark

Re: myth... mobsters are rich - 08/22/12 01:26 AM

Correct whistle

lol I thought that might get a nod! lol

Re: myth... mobsters are rich - 08/22/12 01:28 AM

Correct whistle

lol I thought that might get a nod! lol

I plead the fifth shhh
Posted By: Tonymtl

Re: myth... mobsters are rich - 08/22/12 01:51 AM

In Montreal some associates were making easily 10-50k a week. No joke.
Posted By: GaryH

Re: myth... mobsters are rich - 08/23/12 07:49 PM

At his height Demeo was turing over 50-100 grand a week (this was back in the 70's).
Paul Vario was turning over 25 grand per day at his height.
Some guys are huge earners others are not - Charlie Carneglia wasnt kept around for his money making ability thats for sure!
Posted By: Imamobguy

Re: myth... mobsters are rich - 08/23/12 07:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Wilson
Discuss. Also what is the average income of an associate or soldier?

You cant exactly or estimate how much an outsider makes. A Mobster has to set up his own thing and try not to tell the boss. You have to make a certain amount I think..
Posted By: DeMeo

Re: myth... mobsters are rich - 09/07/12 09:47 AM

DeCavalcante associate, Joseph Masella wasn't rich! The guy was always borrowing money he couldn't really afford to pay back, incompetent, nobody really wanted to do real business with him. His attitude was that of a wannabe, over excited and trying to get in good with others. Though his closest friend was Vincent Palermo, even he found him embarrassing and ended up giving it to poor Joey in the balls!

In the end, Masella was gunned down while collecting some money. It seems like he had no problem in collecting, but had the problem in paying.
Posted By: tommykarate

Re: myth... mobsters are rich - 11/12/12 04:15 AM

Yea I bet it depends alot on who you know.gravano said at first he'd be rich 1week living large and the next it was macaroni and water.hell gotti was sued by his wife for non support or something when he was n up and coming wiseguy
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET