Home

Colombo Crime Family?

Posted By: Strax

Colombo Crime Family? - 11/25/11 11:42 PM

I read somewhere they have less than 40 made members,and that they are gonna dissapear soon,and for 1-2 years its goona be 4 Families not 5 Families.Can someone,with more knowledge than me explain how things are ?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Dapper_Don

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/26/11 12:06 AM

where did u read that?

they have wayyy more than 40 made guys, more like upward of 100

the question is how many are active and on the street?

it would be safe to assume its less than 70 or maybe even 50 made guys active on the street now

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/26/11 12:38 AM

At some random forum i come across while i was searching for current stats of 5 Families.So they are pretty weak today?

On the same forum i read that the current stats of other families are pretty bad.But still they are listed on 10th place in a list of strongest mafia groups.
Posted By: LordSlickNutz

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/26/11 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Strax
But still they are listed on 10th place in a list of strongest mafia groups.

Can you post that list out? Cheers.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/26/11 07:40 AM

Lists of "the most powerful whatever" get put out all the time. Not that they're official or anything. Ranking organized crime groups isn't like ranking tennis players.

As for the Colombos, they're far from finished. But there are several posters on certain forums who like to engage in endless hyperbole regarding the Colombo family; referring to them as a "sinking ship" and whatnot. If somebody who was not familiar with the mob was to read what some of these guys say on a regular basis, they'd think the Colombos were 6 months away from being defunct. Even though that's not the case. The Colombos may be the smallest and most geographically confined family in New York but they're still much larger and stronger than any remaining family outside the city.

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/26/11 07:43 AM

Ivy, are they mostly in Dyker Heights?
Posted By: GaryH

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/26/11 08:21 AM

The Colombo's need to hire a pest exterminator because they have something of a probem with Rats!

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/26/11 08:24 AM

Originally Posted By: LordSlickNutz
Ivy, are they mostly in Dyker Heights?

When I say "geographically confined," I mean that most of the Colombo family's presence is in Brooklyn and Long Island. With much less in other part of the New York metropolitan area. They are much less spread out than the other families by comparison.

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/26/11 10:00 AM

But still i am not sure that 5 Families will ever dissapear,but thats just my opinion.

Here is the list i came across:

Top 10 criminal organisations

1 Solntsevskaya Bratva

2 Yamaguchi-gumi

3 ‘Ndrangheta

4 D Company

5 14K

6 Sicilian Mafia

7 Dai Huen Jai

8 Tijuana Cartel

9 United Bamboo

10 The US Mafia ‘The Five Families’
Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/26/11 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By: GaryH
The Colombo's need to hire a pest exterminator because they have something of a probem with Rats!

lol
Posted By: Mukremin

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/26/11 01:19 PM

Its not like they are falling apart, they still make millions a year from various rackets. 5 Families did not emerge in one night, nor will they be gone in one night. It took a decade to build, and it will take much more work than that to destroy the Colombos. Besides, its not in the interest of the remaining families to let the Colombos sink.

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/26/11 01:28 PM

For some reason, they just can't stop killing each others. That's what you get for a Family full of tough guys.

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/26/11 01:32 PM

Well that only started after the 1960s, before that they were the most stable family while the other had internal wars for leadership. No one can guarantee that the Gambinos or the Genoveses wont have internal fight in the near future, it happened to all the families. The Colombos were unlucky, nowadays there isnt internal fighting but bombardment from the outside.

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/26/11 01:39 PM

Technically, you can also counted the Bonanno and Lucchese as having very stable leadership groups before the 60s.

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/26/11 01:42 PM

Speaking of the Colombo, does anyone know what happened to "Donnie Shacks" and "Charlie Moose"? Last I heard, Donnie is in Hollywood and Charlie is in Vegas.
Posted By: ronnie_little

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/26/11 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Mukremin
Its not like they are falling apart, they still make millions a year from various rackets. 5 Families did not emerge in one night, nor will they be gone in one night. It took a decade to build, and it will take much more work than that to destroy the Colombos. Besides, its not in the interest of the remaining families to let the Colombos sink.

I could not agree more. The other families will have joint ventures and depend on the Colombo's. I strongly agree with Mukermin more. IMO the Colombo's are far from over. They are paying for the inter family war back in the 90's. This will pass and they will regroup. IMO

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/26/11 03:41 PM

Also, It would benefit the for Persico to give the reins over to someone on the streets to strengthen the family. IMO Wild Bill would have been a perfect person for this job thats why the Persico's whacked him. IMO

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/26/11 04:06 PM

Yeah, he was a good candidate. So was Orena... But there are other good replacements for Persico. And we must not forget that the government cant keep hammering the mafia families, there are other things on their agenda to.

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/26/11 04:37 PM

The Colombo's are paying for past deeds but this will pass and they will re-group. Is Orena serving life or just a very long sentence?

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/26/11 05:49 PM

Serving life, if Orena remained the boss he would surely follow a different route. The Gottis and the Persicos have brought tremendous damage to Cosa Nostra.
Posted By: yigido

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/26/11 06:25 PM

well you could call the colombo family the sick man of new york. tongue

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/26/11 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Lists of "the most powerful whatever" get put out all the time. Not that they're official or anything. Ranking organized crime groups isn't like ranking tennis players.

As for the Colombos, they're far from finished. But there are several posters on certain forums who like to engage in endless hyperbole regarding the Colombo family; referring to them as a "sinking ship" and whatnot. If somebody who was not familiar with the mob was to read what some of these guys say on a regular basis, they'd think the Colombos were 6 months away from being defunct. Even though that's not the case. The Colombos may be the smallest and most geographically confined family in New York but they're still much larger and stronger than any remaining family outside the city.

this is true

but im hesitant to say more than the Outfit only because even today not much is known about them, for all we know they could be chugging along raking in cash with no real probs since family secrets

besides sarno going to the can that family is still for the most part out the headlines

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/26/11 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: LordSlickNutz
Speaking of the Colombo, does anyone know what happened to "Donnie Shacks" and "Charlie Moose"? Last I heard, Donnie is in Hollywood and Charlie is in Vegas.

Donnie Shacks is still in California. Charlie Moose was charge in the Operating Engineers case that involved the Genovese and Colombo families a while back.

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/27/11 12:08 AM

Donnie Shacks is still in California. Charlie Moose was charge in the Operating Engineers case that involved the Genovese and Colombo families a while back.

Ivy, would you considered Donnie Shacks active for the Colombo? Or is he allowed to retire with to pursue the enterprise of making C grade movies and dating size zero girlfriends?

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/27/11 02:08 AM

i would consider both guys "inactive" due to age/health reasons

anybody know anything about casso's plan to have a faction of the colombos merge with the lucchese as his solution to the colombo war?

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/27/11 07:35 AM

Generally speaking, it seems when mob guys from back east move out west, especially in their later years, they are more or less retired. In other words, inactive for all intents and purposes.
Posted By: DJN

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/28/11 06:40 PM

you guy's have probably seen this already, but just in case you haven't ..

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/28/11 10:22 PM

I saw the topic here on GangsterBB named "2008 Family Charts" all if thats true,all families have about 50-100 more members than they have now.Some died,some are captured by the FBI.But my question now is for like 5-10 years they will all have about 50-100 members or i just talk bullsh*s???
Posted By: yigido

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/28/11 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: DJN
you guy's have probably seen this already, but just in case you haven't ..

nice post

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/28/11 10:51 PM

I saw the topic here on GangsterBB named "2008 Family Charts" all if thats true,all families have about 50-100 more members than they have now.Some died,some are captured by the FBI.But my question now is for like 5-10 years they will all have about 50-100 members or i just talk bullsh*s???

Most of the members today are old, the size wont drop like that in 10 years. And there are young wannabes who will get made in the near future to fill up the ranks, but the families may choose to keep things small. Like in Chicago.

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/28/11 10:56 PM

Lin, if you ever read this, go fuck yourself!

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/28/11 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Mukremin

Most of the members today are old, the size wont drop like that in 10 years. And there are young wannabes who will get made in the near future to fill up the ranks, but the families may choose to keep things small. Like in Chicago.

The membership of many of the charts in that particular thread were rather inflated too.
Posted By: Jimmy_Two_Times

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/29/11 12:03 PM

Dapper, I hadn't heard about Casso's plan. Can you provide more context?
Posted By: Jimmy_Two_Times

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/29/11 12:07 PM

Interesting talk about the Outfit. Does anyone have any sense of the age of their members? ARe they on the older end of the spectrum or younger? It seems that older members - in general, mind you not in all cases - tend to have more respect for tradition and the younger generation is looking for the quick way to achieve their goals. Maybe this has something to do with the OUtfit being off the radar?

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/29/11 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimmy_Two_Times
Interesting talk about the Outfit. Does anyone have any sense of the age of their members? ARe they on the older end of the spectrum or younger? It seems that older members - in general, mind you not in all cases - tend to have more respect for tradition and the younger generation is looking for the quick way to achieve their goals. Maybe this has something to do with the OUtfit being off the radar?

The age of Outfit members mirrors those in other families. Most of them are older.

And, though I may sound like a broken record, I don't buy that "Outfit being off the radar" argument. The Genovese family is said to be the smartest and most low key family over all and they have had tons of busts in recent years despite that.

The Outfit has been said to be very low key too but the lack of cases, by comparison, is due more to them being much smaller and less active than a lot of people assume. It's seems there will always be some who insist on believing that the mob guys in Chicago (as well as Detroit) have figured out some trick to avoid law enforcement. Something that has totally escaped the guys in NY (including the Genovese), New Jersey, New England, or Philly.
Posted By: Scorsese

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/29/11 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimmy_Two_Times

The age of Outfit members mirrors those in other families. Most of them are older.

And, though I may sound like a broken record, I don't buy that "Outfit being off the radar" argument. The Genovese family is said to be the smartest and most low key family over all and they have had tons of busts in recent years despite that.

The Outfit has been said to be very low key too but the lack of cases, by comparison, is due more to them being much smaller and less active than a lot of people assume. It's seems there will always be some who insist on believing that the mob guys in Chicago (as well as Detroit) have figured out some trick to avoid law enforcement. Something that has totally escaped the guys in NY (including the Genovese), New Jersey, New England, or Philly.

I think that the outfit mostly been reduced to gambling, extortion and probably vice in their local areas rather than any big acts of corruption or racketeering. I also read somewhere that they had sort of split into two groups or werent acting as much of a single group anymore.

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/29/11 11:25 PM

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2011/june/the-chicago-mafia/the-chicago-mafia

ALl the families are actualy down.Hope they will re-ogranise soon.

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/30/11 08:27 AM

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2011/june/the-chicago-mafia/the-chicago-mafia

ALl the families are actualy down.Hope they will re-ogranise soon.

It goes without saying that all families have declined. My point is that many underestimate just how much Chicago and Detroit families have declined.

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 11/30/11 09:44 AM

U think they can re-ogranise themselves ? Or for few years only will New York Five Families left.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bufalino_crime_family

Years active c. 1900–2008.Are they still active or wiki is telling the true ?
Posted By: Philip_Lombardo

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 07/21/12 10:33 PM

People reckon all familys are gonna end soon but they are wrong there is a scumbag in almost every italian family too lazy to get an honest job so they'll join a family get made think their al capone yes the mafia won't be as it was but it's legacy will live before you know it the colombo's due to the dire need to get the same muscle as other ny familys will have the highest amount of youngsters

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 07/22/12 12:13 AM

The New York families, at least, will be around for a long time to come.
Posted By: Ivan

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 07/22/12 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don

besides sarno going to the can that family is still for the most part out the headlines

That's probably because Sarno was one of the few proactively doing anything.
Posted By: jace

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 07/22/12 06:34 AM

The New York families, at least, will be around for a long time to come.

Does not seem like it. Bonnano and Columbo are dead. They seem very scattered. Even the Genovese and Gambino's seem close to dismantled. With so many top men already having been in prison, like D' amico of Gambino and Bellamo of Genovese, it is tough for them to operate.

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 07/22/12 06:44 AM

Originally Posted By: jace

Does not seem like it. Bonnano and Columbo are dead. They seem very scattered. Even the Genovese and Gambino's seem close to dismantled. With so many top men already having been in prison, like D' amico of Gambino and Bellamo of Genovese, it is tough for them to operate.

No offense but I suggest you do your research. If you follow this stuff closely, you'll see none of the NY families are anywhere close to being dead. The predictions made in the past about them being wiped out have proven premature. And you'll notice that law enforcement, as well as mob experts, have become more careful about making those predictions. All the NY families have certainly been weakened, to varying degrees, but none are finished by a long shot. The list of cases in just the last decade alone have proven that. Hell, if the smaller families in New England, New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Chicago are still viable, how can you write off any of the NY families?

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 07/22/12 06:54 AM

No offense but I suggest you do your research. If you follow this stuff closely, you'll see none of the NY families are anywhere close to being dead. The predictions made in the past about them being wiped out have proven premature. And you'll notice that law enforcement, as well as mob experts, have become more careful about making those predictions. All the NY families have certainly been weakened, to varying degrees, but none are finished by a long shot. The list of cases in just the last decade alone have proven that. Hell, if the smaller families in New England, New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Chicago are still viable, how can you write off any of the NY families?

I have doen research. In my opinion they have faded, and are on way out. It is natural course of events. I would not call Chicago smaller, maybe in numbers, maybe not. However in labor rackets and gambling they are seemingly bigger than any New York Family, in my opinion.
Posted By: Ivan

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 07/22/12 07:25 AM

I would not call Chicago smaller, maybe in numbers, maybe not. However in labor rackets and gambling they are seemingly bigger than any New York Family, in my opinion.

IvyLeague, you're not going to actually dignify this with a response, are you? grin

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 07/22/12 08:25 AM

Quote:
IvyLeague, you're not going to actually dignify this with a response, are you? grin

You know, I don't know how many times I can address this same issue over and over again before my just throw up my hands and give up.

Originally Posted By: "jace"
I have doen research. In my opinion they have faded, and are on way out. It is natural course of events. I would not call Chicago smaller, maybe in numbers, maybe not. However in labor rackets and gambling they are seemingly bigger than any New York Family, in my opinion.

What exactly have you been researching?

Back in 2007, around the time of the "Family Secrets" case in Chicago, the feds said the Outfit had 28 made members and a little over 100 associates.

By comparison, the Colombos, the smallest family in New York, has a little over 100 made members and approximately 500 associates. In other words, their total manpower is 4 times the size of the Outfit.

There's been relatively little in the way of labor rackets in Chicago in recent years. Several Outfit guys were booted from the Laborers Union in the late 1990's and early 2000's. And the report on the Teamsters, during the RISE investigation, showed primarily residual, limited mob influence.

By comparison, there have continued to be one labor racketeering case after another in New York. Compared to New York, Chicago and other remaining families have only a fraction of the union activity.

Gambling? Again, no comparison. The Outfit has bookmaking and video poker rackets. But the NY families do as well and their operations are much bigger and more widespread. The Outfit has had nothing close to even some of the gambling operations the smaller NY families have.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The modern day Outfit, the Outfit of 2012, is much more comparable to the New England, New Jersey, and Philadelphia families than any of the NY families.

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 07/22/12 08:27 AM

If you disagree, fine, no need to get sensitive over it.

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 07/22/12 08:37 AM

I don´t think Ivy got sensitive over it. He is trying to explain how things are. He has done this throughout numerous of threads in here and his arguments are watertight and solid.

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 07/22/12 09:16 AM

You should check out this thread:

http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=655181#Post655181

What ivyleague is saying it's true,you can agree or disargree but that's true.
Posted By: Philip_Lombardo

Re: Colombo Crime Family? - 08/21/12 08:03 PM

Heres my theory the familys are acting weak so law enforcement will take out the rivaling groups such as russians or black mafias when their gone to familys tippy toe into those rackets while the other groups are weakened remember secrecy is the mafia's best friend
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET