Home

Wiseguys and Guns

Posted By: jvanley

Wiseguys and Guns - 04/28/11 08:02 PM

I am sure not many if any of us can answer this question intelligently, but how many made guys carry on a daily basis?

I was watching the Sopranos this morning for the millionth time and It was the episode where Tony got pinched on a weapons charge when he dumped his piece in the snow after Johny Sac got arrested and it got me thinking.

I am just assuming here that some Soldiers and associates carry and that the administrations do not.

Just an interesting question that popped into my mind while watching "porkchop" as the Lupertazzi family calls him run from the Feds.

If I had to guess I would say not many. Very rarely do you hear about these guys getting a weapons charge when they get pinch for loansharking or racketeering.

Most people who do not read/watch/jerkoff to LCN as we all do assume that Mafia is Money, bullets and blood. When it reality its pussy, scotch, cigarettes, loansharking and card games.
Posted By: GaryH

Re: Wiseguys and Guns - 04/28/11 09:46 PM

I think it was Lucky Luciano who got busted carrying a loaded handgun.
He never carried again for that reason.

Tony Mirra carried a knife everyday because the penalty was far less severe than for a gun.

Albert DeMeo claimed that FRankie the wop carried routinely and one day was sitting on the toilet having a shit when a moth or mosquito began swarming about.
He nailed it dead with one shot but got busted when someone heard the shot and called the cops.

I think as a basic rule of thumb, made guys would only carry when doing a hit.
Posted By: VinnyGorgeous

Re: Wiseguys and Guns - 04/28/11 10:05 PM

It was Frank Costello, not Lucky Luciano.

Re: Wiseguys and Guns - 04/28/11 10:06 PM

^ Thanks Vinny
Posted By: Lenin_and_McCarthy

Re: Wiseguys and Guns - 04/28/11 10:43 PM

Al Capone got himself busted for carrying deliberately when he thought people were trying to kill him.

P.S. You think you could help out getting another Wikipedia mafia article FA'd?
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Wiseguys and Guns - 04/29/11 01:22 AM

Senior mob guys never carry, and underlings seldom carry, simply because if they did, the cops could roust them on weapons charges, and get a slam-dunk, multi-year conviction withouth having to go through a racketeering or RICO procedure. Those guys know law enforcement is watching them day and night. Also: you probably read about all the mob busts. How many times (if any) have you read about someone being charged with illegal possession of a firearm?

Mob guys have caches of weapons (or know where to get them) when they have a planned use (a hit) or a bodyguard detail. Otherwise: no.
Posted By: jvanley

Re: Wiseguys and Guns - 04/29/11 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Senior mob guys never carry, and underlings seldom carry, simply because if they did, the cops could roust them on weapons charges, and get a slam-dunk, multi-year conviction withouth having to go through a racketeering or RICO procedure. Those guys know law enforcement is watching them day and night. Also: you probably read about all the mob busts. How many times (if any) have you read about someone being charged with illegal possession of a firearm?

Correct, thats what I said in my original post. Thats really what got me wondering. I know the Sopranos is a fictional based show regardless if it was VERY loosely (I mean Jenna Jaminson vagina loose) on the Decavalcante Family and nearly everyone on there carries so it just got me thinking.

If you notice you have saw every member on the Sopranos with a piece which if you think about it is one of a few overall flaws with the show.

I think there are about 10 times where it shows Tony driving with or just carrying a gun.

As I said, people think LCN is bullets and blood but its not

Mob guys have caches of weapons (or know where to get them) when they have a planned use (a hit) or a bodyguard detail. Otherwise: no.
Posted By: GerryLang

Re: Wiseguys and Guns - 04/29/11 03:06 PM

Only time I remember guys getting hit with carrying guns was during the second Colombo war.

Re: Wiseguys and Guns - 04/29/11 03:14 PM

Yeah it's very rare for them to carry guns. Only when the situation calls for it. And it's a good point you guys made about The Sopranos, the gun thing is definitely a big flaw if you are gonna go by reality. It is one of my favorite shows, if not my favorite, but a lot of mob guys don't seem to be that fond of it and point to flaws like that. I have yet to see a perfect show.
Posted By: GerryLang

Re: Wiseguys and Guns - 04/29/11 04:55 PM

The guys on the Sopranos not only carry guns, they carry relatively big guns, that are hard to conceal. When Tony got pinched for a gun, it was a big 9mm or a 45, plus he was packing while meeting another boss, a big no no. Most mafia murders have been historically done with smaller caliber guns like 22's and 380 semi autos.

Re: Wiseguys and Guns - 04/29/11 05:36 PM

I agree ^

A .45 loaded with hollow points is great for home defense but not for a hit.
A .22 to the side or back of the head and the bullet bounces around inside the skull causing hideous damage
So said Lefty Ruggerio who with 26 hits under his belt knew what he was talking about.
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: Wiseguys and Guns - 04/29/11 06:13 PM

Isn't it completely normal in the United States to have a gun? Why can't wiseguys carry one?

The streets can be a dangerous place you know. They have the right to protect themselves against angry store owners or drug dealers who may feel shaken down. whistle
Posted By: Lenin_and_McCarthy

Re: Wiseguys and Guns - 04/29/11 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Isn't it completely normal in the United States to have a gun? Why can't wiseguys carry one?

The streets can be a dangerous place you know. They have the right to protect themselves against angry store owners or drug dealers who may feel shaken down. whistle

I'm not sure if it's a Federal thing or just sometihng that most states do, but convicted felons generally aren't allowed to own guns.

Re: Wiseguys and Guns - 04/29/11 07:00 PM

Charlie Sheen is legally forbidden to carry a gun. But, he's allowed to carry a machete.

© 2024 GangsterBB.NET