Home

Ben Afflecks "The Town"

Posted By: jvanley

Ben Afflecks "The Town" - 01/14/11 10:30 PM

Is it based on a true story? what a GREAT movie, let me repeat GREAT movie.

I just didnt know if it was based on a real life crew
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Ben Afflecks "The Town" - 01/15/11 12:02 AM

Not quite a timeless epic like Heat but definitely a great movie indeed. Say what you want about Affleck, but after Gone Baby Gone and The Town, he has shown he can direct.

I don't think it's based on anyone specifically.
Posted By: Mukremin

Re: Ben Afflecks "The Town" - 01/15/11 12:04 AM

I really liked it, we should get more movies like that. Mob movies always turn up great.
Posted By: thebarber

Re: Ben Afflecks "The Town" - 01/15/11 12:30 AM

alot of it is based on these 4 brothers frm charlestown named shea. Or possibly O'shea. They r all doing life for a armored car job gone bad about 7-8 yrs ago in new hampshire. But they were pretty well known around boston
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: Ben Afflecks "The Town" - 01/15/11 02:08 PM

Is this really a "mob" movie? Does the mafia plays a part in it?
Posted By: jvanley

Re: Ben Afflecks "The Town" - 01/15/11 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Is this really a "mob" movie? Does the mafia plays a part in it?

The Irish Mob yes. A crew robs banks and trucks and kicks up to a boss, so yes.
Posted By: Mooney

Re: Ben Afflecks "The Town" - 01/15/11 08:08 PM

Great movie. Jeremy renner steals the show. what a great character.
Posted By: mike68

Re: Ben Afflecks "The Town" - 01/18/11 05:49 PM

Agreed, Jeremy Renner steals the show. He nailed the Townie character. Ironically, the Boston (Cambridge) guy, Affleck, had the worst most put on Boston accent I've heard in a while.

http://archive.southcoasttoday.com/daily/12-97/12-23-97/a02sr010.htm

Here is a pretty good article from 1997 detailing the takedown of the last major robbery crew from Charlestown. The names were Shea, McDonald, McGonagle, O'Halloran, and Burke. I think their spree was the one that ended up with the two guards murdered in New Hampshire (which you see Affleck's characters Dad in the can for in the movie). There was also a high profile attempted robbery in Harvard Square that left two Townies shot, and four all together went to jail. It looks like the opening scene in the movie was based in Harvard Square, so there's definitely some 'Law and Order, ripped from the headlines' in the movie.

But these robberies are more or less a thing of the past now.
Posted By: spmob

Re: Ben Afflecks "The Town" - 01/19/11 04:44 PM

I agree on all that was said. When my girl wanted to see this movie...I thought this is gonna be horrible. I just thought it wouldn't work but I actually liked it. I wouldn't consider it a classic gangster film by far but it was good enough to sit on my couch and watch for a few hours. I didn't know this had any factual basis. Pretty cool.
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: Ben Afflecks "The Town" - 01/19/11 06:45 PM

Does this topic actually not belong in the movie section?
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET