Home

Gurrah

Posted By: RTintera

Gurrah - 01/04/09 04:18 AM

I've always been a little intrigued by Jacob Shapiro. He's more or less dismissed in anything I've ever read as Lepke's enforcer, but no elaboration. I have yet to see a picture of him that wasn't the cement-faced mug shot. Has anyone read "The Life and Times of Lepke Buchalter: America's Most Ruthless Labor Racketeer" by Paul R. Kavieff? Any Gurrah info or pix in there? One interesting thing I read recently* said he broke down and cried when he was given his last sentence. Pretty weird! He definately didn't look like the type!

*don't remember where- I think a newspaper archive
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Gurrah - 01/04/09 10:48 AM

Have you read Tough Jews by Rich Cohen

There's a picture of Jacob Shapiro in there. But this is the only picture i could find of him,like you say "The Mug shot"..

Posted By: Santino Brasi

Re: Gurrah - 01/04/09 10:57 AM

He looks like he got shot in the mug alright

Re: Gurrah - 01/04/09 11:01 AM

And he also looks like Joe "The Boss" Massiria

Re: Gurrah - 01/04/09 05:15 PM

Here's younger, movie star handsome Gurrah:

Re: Gurrah - 01/04/09 06:40 PM

You say handsome..

Re: Gurrah - 01/04/09 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
You say handsome..

Tongue-in-cheekly I assure you.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Gurrah - 01/05/09 01:47 AM

Try Albert Friedman's "The Rise and Fall of the Jewish Gangster" for more on Gurrah and more photos.

Re: Gurrah - 01/05/09 03:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Try Albert Friedman's "The Rise and Fall of the Jewish Gangster" for more on Gurrah and more photos.

Thanks for the tip, Turnbull. Here's a Gurrah from the book. He looks more like a vaudeville comic than a coldblooded hood in this pic:

I copied it from the Amazon page- I hope that's alright. If it isn't, I'll edit it out.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Gurrah - 01/05/09 06:07 PM

Yes, he does look comical in that photo. With the upturned hat and the "hand-caught-in-the-cookie-jar" look on his face, I always thought he resembled a member of Spanky's gang (perhaps a grown-up Alfalfa Switzer).
You're right to be sensitive to copyrights on other sites, but I'll bet that photo is in the public domain.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Gurrah - 01/06/09 03:59 PM

He looks like a midget in that pic eek
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET