Home

who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time

Posted By: xMafiaDon20085x

who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/16/03 04:51 AM

mine would have to be Charles Luciano some may argue al Capne but why Luciano with the help of Meyer Lanksy another huge Mafia figure created the National Crime Syndicate, which paved the way for organized crime.Luciano also helped in the creation of Murder Inc. So who do you think...?
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/16/03 05:47 PM

The top Mafia gangster imo was Frank Costello, known as "the chairman of the board." He was the main model for Vito Corleone: controlled gambing and unions, didn't touch drugs, had vast amounts of political power, controlled judges, etc. Was sophsticated. Retired after a near-assassination. Died peacefully in bed.
Louis (Lepke) Bucholter, boss of the garmet rackets (and many others) in the Thirties, and founder of Murder, Inc., was widely regarded as the richest and most powerful gangster in history. He was so big that the US Justice Dept. filed an antitrust suit against his rackets! However, he screwed up, was convicted of murders and died in the electric chair--not a successful ending.
Meyer Lansky, the model for Hyman Roth, was adviser to many Mafia Dons and powerful as such. He died peaceably in his eighties, and never spent more than three months in jail (once).
To your original point: Charlie Luciano deserves a lot of credit as a Mafia pioneer. Though born in Sicily, he was thoroughly American. He broke the power of the "Moustache Petes" by eliminating them; opened Mafia ranks to non-Sicilians; invited non-Italians (like Lansky) to advise and contribute). Most important: he created the Commission, which helped control some (but not all) of organized crime's wilder behavior. However, Luciano wasn't smart enough to stay away from prostitution and drug rackets. Thomas E. Dewey, special prosecutor (later governor of NY and presidential candidate) convicted him of "white slavery" and had him sentenced to 35 years. He ran the Commission from prison, helped with the US war effort (another story for some other time) and was "rewarded" by being paroled in 1946--and exiled to Italy. Once that happened, he was no longer a power to be reckoned with. He was reduced to running a restaurant in Naples and getting ever-diminishing handouts from the Mob. Not a great ending for a Mob boss.
Posted By: The Iceman

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/16/03 07:07 PM

Turnbull wasn't Frank Costello also known as the Prime MInister of the underworld?

I'd never say Al Capone was the greatest, the most famous, but not the greatest.

How about Carlo Gambino? He was very low key, the kind of thing you'd expect from a mafia don.
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/18/03 12:17 PM

Jonny Torrio was a pioneer in the organised crime business enterprises were run. He helped make crime big business. He had an idea of uniting Chicago, not as one group but different gangs with their own territories instead of all the bloodshed that usually went with this life. OK it didn't last long. Apart from the ensuing deaths he did pretty well for himself being able to retire a millionaire after he survived a botched hit in later years. By this time he left a well know trigger happy to take over for him. Al Capone.

Some say after this he was a silent partner with Lansky in the Commission but I havn't seen the sources to prove it.

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/19/03 05:48 PM

Everything you said about Torrio is literally true, Turi! Neither he nor Capone was able to forge a modus vivendi for the gangs of Chicago, which became the most gang-violent city in America. Torrio was sophisticated and a forward-looking thinker, but Capone forged a much bigger empire.
The rumor about Lansky, Torrio and the Commission stemmed from the famous 1929 Atlantic City gangster convention, which they attended. Lansky and Torrio are usually credited with being the organizers. However, the prime mover was Abner (Longy) Zwillman, New Jersey's biggest gangster and the top rum-runner on the East Coast. Zwillman had legitimate interests all over the place, too. He was one of the most under-estimated gangsters in US history.
Posted By: Craig David

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/22/03 11:28 AM

I think the Kray Twins are the greatest gangsters of all time because they are proper bo I tell thee.

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/22/03 11:46 AM

Haha Craaaiiiig Daaavviiid. You should have signed on as Scary Spice though "You Bastard".

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/22/03 04:24 PM

I'll take Jack the Hat and Cornell.
Posted By: Michael Montana Mancini

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/22/03 05:51 PM

Im from london's east end. and nobody thinks highly of the krays or their associates they were not proper bo CRRAAAAIIIIGG DAAAVVIIID. I LOVE BO SELECTA'
THANK U PLEASE
THE KRAYS WERE SCUMBAGS
Posted By: Craig David

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/22/03 11:24 PM

Can I get a rewind?

KKKRRAAAAYYYYY TTTWIIIINNNSSS.

I don't really know much about the real Kray Twins, but I am a fan of the Krays film with the Kemp Brothers. One of them was a paranoid sychizoprenic so I suppose they were scumbags.

Has anyone else seen that film? Cha'mone motha fucka!
Posted By: DonFerro55

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/23/03 05:41 AM

I have to put my word in for "The greatest Don of all Time", Don Vito Casio Ferro. We share the same name but have no relation. He was a big part of bringing the Sicilian mob to America.

The Don Ferro
Posted By: PappaGiorgio

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/23/03 06:12 PM

2pac J/K he ain't no gangster
Posted By: Patrick

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/24/03 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PappaGiorgio:
what do you mean that 2Pac isn't a gangster?! when he was touring, he'd have alledged gang members being his body guards! Suge Knight, 2Pac's friend and producer, was a member of the Bloods!
Posted By: Mr. Baggins

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/24/03 01:00 PM

I think 2Pac's "gangster" bodygaurds were really just common thugs.

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/24/03 03:28 PM

suge knight is a member of the bloods. he was arrested in june for a parole violation when he was believed to be affiliated with a gang member.
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/24/03 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
[quote]Originally posted by PappaGiorgio:
[b] 2pac J/K he ain't no gangster
what do you mean that 2Pac isn't a gangster?! when he was touring, he'd have alledged gang members being his body guards! Suge Knight, 2Pac's friend and producer, was a member of the Bloods! [/b][/quote]He is not a gangster! BITE YOUR TONGUE.

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/25/03 03:40 AM

i hope he kicks you off the boards. i really do.

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/25/03 03:53 AM

Quote:

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/25/03 05:26 AM

Quote:
Well you can wish in one hand, and shit in the other, which is gonna come first? :p

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/25/03 05:48 PM

My favoured definition of a Gangster would be a member of an organised crime group of criminals, a racketeer.

So rappers and muscle don't qualify for this. I don't care how many gangs they've been in. Crips, Bloods whatever they call them. They're thugs that kill people because they're in a rival gang. Oh that's very organised crime, watch out, they may run a dice games.

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/25/03 05:49 PM

Tupac, My arse.

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/26/03 03:31 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Patrick:
[b] i hope he kicks you off the boards. i really do.
[/b][/quote]that message was not to you, pappa giorgio and don vercetti. dv--i got you confused for don vincent again. so when i saw bite your tongue, i got pissed. but since you said it, that's ok.
Posted By: The Godfather

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/26/03 05:27 PM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by PappaGiorgio:
what do you mean that 2Pac isn't a gangster?! when he was touring, he'd have alledged gang members being his body guards! Suge Knight, 2Pac's friend and producer, was a member of the Bloods! [/b][/quote]He wishes he was a gangster. All those rappers wish they were.
Posted By: TheDutchmen54

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/27/03 02:37 AM

The best gangster has to be Dutch Shultz he did not care about anyone, he had nutz the size of watermelons , he took what he wanted and did not care what anyone thought about him he was the best of all time.

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/27/03 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Godfather:
[quote]Originally posted by Patrick:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by PappaGiorgio:
what do you mean that 2Pac isn't a gangster?! when he was touring, he'd have alledged gang members being his body guards! Suge Knight, 2Pac's friend and producer, was a member of the Bloods! [/b][/quote]He wishes he was a gangster. All those rappers wish they were. [/b][/quote]2Pac is a gangster.

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/27/03 03:21 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by The Godfather:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by Patrick:
[b]
quote:
what do you mean that 2Pac isn't a gangster?! when he was touring, he'd have alledged gang members being his body guards! Suge Knight, 2Pac's friend and producer, was a member of the Bloods! [/b][/quote]He wishes he was a gangster. All those rappers wish they were. [/b][/quote]2Pac is a gangster.
Show proof

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/27/03 03:39 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by The Godfather:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by Patrick:
[b]
quote:
That'll cost you a revoke on your Gangster BB registraton.

Just because you get shot several times doesn't make you a gangster....it makes you a victim. :p
Posted By: Don Marco

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 08/29/03 07:49 PM

I've got to go with Carlo Gambino. Try as they did, the government wasn't able to touch him. He died a natural death, which is no small feat in this line of work.
Posted By: DannyMontana

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 09/01/03 05:04 AM

Al Capone
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 09/01/03 04:45 PM

I have to go with Don Marco's choice being Carlo Gambino. As Don Marco said in his post, Gambino lived to a pretty ripe old age running his family, never went to jail and dies naturally. I would say that he beat the system in more ways than one.

Don Cardi

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 09/01/03 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Marco:
I've got to go with Carlo Gambino. Try as they did, the government wasn't able to touch him. He died a natural death, which is no small feat in this line of work.
I agree, Don Marco: a Don who dies peacefully in his own bed, a free man, is a Don who was, by definition, more successful than 99% of his colleagues. That's one of the things that separated Frank Costello and Meyer Lansky from Lepke Buchalter and John Gotti.
Gambino was probably the last of the really successful Dons. Iron hand in velvet glove. As you said, the government couldn't touch him--the best they could do was to try to deport him, and he always developed "heart trouble" that kept him from being tried. One bad mark on his record: choosing your avatar over Neil Dellacroce as his successor.

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 09/02/03 12:51 PM

As much as we say Castellano was gonna get eventually whacked because he never really was a street guy and everyone knew Dellacroce should have been Carlos successor. Think what would have actually happened if Dellacroce had taken over as Boss. He was an obvious target for law enforcement. Even the FBI thought he would take over and when Carlo did hand over the reigns Aneillo was incarcerated at the time. At least Castellano had pretty small record (1 robbery charge according to Boss of Bosses) and presented himself as a business man and a racketeer.

Of course it's hard to speculate. We can only go by what we've seen and what we know, not what could have happened.
Posted By: Tony Mosrite

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 10/17/03 11:17 PM

the topic says greatest gangsters and I think the one who better fits in this description is Charlie Lucky Luciano, but maybe the most succesful were Carlo Gambino or Frank Costello.

Another thing: Turnbull talked about the real mobsters who inspired Vito Corleone and Hyman Roth. another exemple of it IMO is John Gotti as the inspiration of Joey Zasa. does anyone agree with me?
Posted By: Don Sonny Corleone

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 10/17/03 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Turi Giuliano:
My favoured definition of a Gangster would be a member of an organised crime group of criminals, a racketeer.

So rappers and muscle don't qualify for this. I don't care how many gangs they've been in. Crips, Bloods whatever they call them. They're thugs that kill people because they're in a rival gang...
THANK YOU TURI
i hate it when gangsta and gangster are confused.you would not believe how many people i have to explain this to. the mob doesnt kill sombody just to kill them.rapper wanta be's do.rapper wanta be's do something just because its against the law,the mob doesnt
Posted By: Don Santino

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 11/24/03 09:19 AM

True Sonny, i hate those wannabe rapper gangstas, they piss the shit outta me. but seriously how many ppl in their teens these day try to be the same, as in do shit just cause its against the law. Heaps man.
Posted By: Accardo

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 01/06/04 12:41 PM

It has to be a toss up between Carlo Gambino and Tony Accardo of the Chicago Outfit. Im surprised to see nobody picking an Outfit boss other than Capone who was one of the worst mob bosses (fame aside!). Both of these bosses wielded remarkable power throughout te country and were part of a select few that were so highly respected that they were untouchable. Both died peacefully after being mafiosi all their lives.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 01/06/04 09:14 PM

If by greatest you mean the most successful and smartest, or the one that managed not to get caught, TB would no far better than I.

However, IMHO, just by popularity or most well known, especially to those who are not into the "gangster" era, I would guess Al Capone is the most famous. Most everyone has heard of him.

TIS
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 01/06/04 10:56 PM

I would have to say Meyer Lansky, as he was the brains behind forming the commission and organizing crime. A close runner up in my book is Carlo Gambino. Here is a man who was for many years one of the most powerful men in America and yet they could not lay a finger on him. He died of natural causes at a ripe old age. That alone has to put him up there as one of the greatest gangsters of all time.

Don Cardi
Posted By: The Iceman

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 01/07/04 05:52 AM

I can agree with Accardo when he mentioned Tony Accardo. But Don Cardi made another good suggestion when he mentioned Meyer Lansky.

Maybe a poll is in order.
Posted By: Vito The Godfather

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 01/07/04 01:39 PM

Carlo Gambino definately!!!!!
Posted By: SC

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 01/07/04 01:49 PM

My vote goes to Meyer Lansky. He was probably the most respected wiseguy ever; money talks in the Mob, and Lansky was a genius at making it for himself and his partners. He played a major role in stressing that the Mob should be run like a business and he had about as much clout as anyone else.
Posted By: Accardo

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 01/07/04 08:35 PM

A lot of people are voting Lansky but it is my opinion that to be the 'greatest', you have to wield some kind of power over other mafiosi and perhaps even bosses. This Lansky never had. I'm not sure if he even ever killed (or had killed) anyone in his entire career. Even if he had become the first non-Italian boss, nobody would have feared him!
Posted By: Don Tissinno

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 01/10/04 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
If by greatest you mean the most successful and smartest, or the one that managed not to get caught
In this regard it would probably be Luciano, Gambino, Lanskey, Costello, Profaci, Marcello, Traficante.

However, if you want to define it as the gangster who most typified the gangster persona, smarts, violence, power, guns a blazing type, I'd put Capone, Genovese, Anastasia, Giancana, Buchalter, Gallo....
Posted By: Christopher Montana

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 01/26/04 03:47 AM

I think Capone is the most famous but, not the best. Carlos G. was the best.
Posted By: Remember Vito Andolini

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 01/27/04 05:46 AM

Does Columbia drug czar Escobar count? At the height of his power, he controlled 80% of the world's cocaine supply.
Posted By: dapperdon

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 01/27/04 02:16 PM

the greatest gangsters has to be the luciano,lansky partnership.
with combined efforts they had the best team with people like costello,bugsy,anastasia,etc
Posted By: DonTeflon

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 01/27/04 11:47 PM

Hands down, Carlo Gambino.
Posted By: Don Luciano

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 01/28/04 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
I would have to say Meyer Lansky, as he was the brains behind forming the commission and organizing crime. A close runner up in my book is Carlo Gambino. Here is a man who was for many years one of the most powerful men in America and yet they could not lay a finger on him. He died of natural causes at a ripe old age. That alone has to put him up there as one of the greatest gangsters of all time.

Don Cardi
Couldn't agree more. Any mafia chieftain who can maintain a low-profle and die of natural causes whilst controlling pretty much all of the most lucrative NY rackeets has to have benn pretty smart.
For me the only other contenders are Lansky, Costello and Tony 'Ducks' Corrallo.
Posted By: juventus

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 03/24/04 10:29 AM

Lucky Luciano!! He is responsable for wacking the Mustache Pete's (masseria, maranzano). He made the commision and MurderInc. After he was deported to Italy, he was there a powerful mafiaboss also. And he maded (in Italy) the Cupola.

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 03/24/04 01:10 PM

After Carlo Gambino, I`d go for Pablo Escobar. On the climax of his life, he was the 7th richest man in the world. His cocaine empire was shocking. He built small, remote-controlled submarines that could carry up to two thousand kilos of Coke from Northern coast of Colombia to the coast of Puerto Rico, where divers would remove the contains, and transport it by speed-boats to Miami. He even bought Boeing 727's, which taking out passengers seats, he would load it with as much as ten thousand kilos per flight. That guy was really the kig-pin Cocaine Pimp. Plus, his wild parties with young girls.

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 04/06/04 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Mosrite:
the topic says greatest gangsters and I think the one who better fits in this description is Charlie Lucky Luciano, but maybe the most succesful were Carlo Gambino or Frank Costello.

Another thing: Turnbull talked about the real mobsters who inspired Vito Corleone and Hyman Roth. another exemple of it IMO is John Gotti as the inspiration of Joey Zasa. does anyone agree with me?
Yes Joey Zasa is based on John Gotti because joey is at the cover of time also. joey is also known a best dressed gangster.
But he also based on Joe Colombo. Joe was also much in the publicity and was also killed on an American-italian holiday/party. He was killed because of the much attention he got, he was killed in order of Gambino

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 04/07/04 04:59 AM

Yes, that's true: Zasa is a combination of Gotti ("best dressed gangster:) and Joe Columbo (Zasa's "Meucci Society" is an analog of Columbo's "Italian-American Civil Rights League").

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 04/08/04 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vito The Godfather:
After Carlo Gambino, I`d go for Pablo Escobar. On the climax of his life, he was the 7th richest man in the world. His cocaine empire was shocking. He built small, remote-controlled submarines that could carry up to [b]two thousand kilos of Coke from Northern coast of Colombia to the coast of Puerto Rico, where divers would remove the contains, and transport it by speed-boats to Miami. He even bought Boeing 727's, which taking out passengers seats, he would load it with as much as ten thousand kilos per flight. That guy was really the kig-pin Cocaine Pimp. Plus, his wild parties with young girls. [/b]
I dont know anything about Escobar. I want to know more Could you give me a site?

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 04/11/04 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by juventus:
[quote]Originally posted by Vito The Godfather:
[b] After Carlo Gambino, I`d go for Pablo Escobar. On the climax of his life, he was the 7th richest man in the world. His cocaine empire was shocking. He built small, remote-controlled submarines that could carry up to [b]two thousand kilos of Coke
from Northern coast of Colombia to the coast of Puerto Rico, where divers would remove the contains, and transport it by speed-boats to Miami. He even bought Boeing 727's, which taking out passengers seats, he would load it with as much as ten thousand kilos per flight. That guy was really the kig-pin Cocaine Pimp. Plus, his wild parties with young girls. [/b]
I dont know anything about Escobar. I want to know more Could you give me a site? [/b][/quote]Just go to google.com and type "Pablo Escobar". There's lots of sites on his biography.
Posted By: Wu-TangKillahBeez

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 04/26/04 10:07 PM

someone please help me, first off id like to say that, no tupac was not a gangster, he was a gangsta. there is a difference. second, i have a friend who went to chicago and is now convinced that chicago is and always was the best city for organized crime. and he is also convinced that al capone was the best gangster and mobster. pleeease someone help me convince him that neither one of these things are true and that new york had the best organized crime. thank you
Posted By: Goodfella 69

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 04/27/04 01:46 AM

Tony Accardo or Carlo Gambino hands down. It would have been interesting to see Accardo as a NY boss competing with Gambino for leadership and the posistion of Boss of Bosses in NY's 5 families.
Posted By: don vencent

Re: who do you think is the greatest gangster of all time - 05/28/04 08:23 PM

I THINK THE GREATEST GANGSTER OF ALL TIME HAS TO BE CARLO GAMBINO HE NEVER BE TO JAIL and he died happy I think.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET