Home

Gigante ends ruse, pleads guilty

Posted By: Just Lou

Gigante ends ruse, pleads guilty - 04/07/03 09:19 PM

He pretended he was mentally ill for decades. Now, one of the nation's most powerful Mafia bosses is admitting it was a ruse. Vincent Gigante (jee-GAHN'-tay) -- known as "The Chin" -- has pleaded guilty to obstructing justice in a federal court in New York City. The 75-year-old admitted he misled doctors who were evaluating his competency to face trial.

When the judge asked him if he intentionally misled doctors, Gigante nodded his head slowly and replied, "Yes, your honor." Under a plea deal, he got three years in jail and three years probation. He appeared in court unshaven and with his hair unkempt.

Gigante could have faced up to 20 years in prison. He's already spent the last six years behind bars on a racketeering and conspiracy conviction.

Gigante avoided efforts to jail him for 30 years. He used to shuffle through his Greenwich Village neighborhood wearing pajamas and a bathrobe. F-B-I agents who once served him with a subpoena found him standing naked in a running shower, clutching an open umbrella.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Gigante ends ruse, pleads guilty - 04/08/03 12:09 AM

Just Lou! Refresh my memory. I know of this guy, but can't place what he did. Would you give me a brief summary of his crimes and who he may have been associated with?

Btw, think that the Sopranos drew from his story a little?? (don't want to give it away, but you know what character I mean?)

Thanks

TIS
Posted By: SC

Re: Gigante ends ruse, pleads guilty - 04/08/03 01:08 AM

Real short story, TIS -

Gigante first came to "fame" as the shooter who shot, but didn't kill, Frank Costello (then one of the most powerful figures in the Mob) in 1957.

He was more recently the boss of the Genovese Family.
Posted By: BronxKing

Re: Gigante ends ruse, pleads guilty - 04/08/03 02:21 AM

His brother, Father Louis Gigante is a well loved priest in the South Bronx who served at St. Athanasius on Tiffany St. and So. Blvd.

Many people criticized Fr. Gigante, he was head of a nonprofit group called the"South East Bronx Community Organization" & helped build hundreds of units of low-income housing...not projects, little homes.

Many "poverty pimps" took "War on Poverty" monies and ran. Some say Gigante may have given construction bid tips to "friends", but I am personally acquainted with not a few, "briefcase carrying lowlife vultures" who stole federal moolah. At least Fr. Gigante tried to make a difference.

Oh yeah...he, uh...well, he did always claim his brother was retarded...nobody's perfect!!!
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Gigante ends ruse, pleads guilty - 04/08/03 02:06 PM

The Chin story is all over the NYTimes today. Seems the Chin copped a plea and admitted his ruse in order to avoid getting ten more years tacked onto his sentence (he got three more). He'll be out in 2010. Considering his age (75) and legitimately poor health, the prosecutor said it's the equivalent of life in prison. His son Anthony, 46, also copped a plea to extortion--he's looking at 2-3. The Times story noted that the Chin's first conviction occurred in 1959: heroin trafficking.
Chin's lawyer had the last word: "If this is a Mob boss, then I conclude that America is safe." The story didn't say anything about succession in the Genovese Family. They were considered the most stable of the NYC families, if for no other reason than the Chin had managed to stay out of jail for so long. At that, Chin managed to dodge a RICO conviction that sent his fellow Dons away for triple-digits. Perhaps he wasn't so dumb after all?
Posted By: goodfellaoggie

Re: Gigante ends ruse, pleads guilty - 04/08/03 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
Gigante first came to "fame" as the shooter who shot, but didn't kill, Frank Costello (then one of the most powerful figures in the Mob) in 1957.
i read this in "The Vallachi Papers". what a waste of time practicing how to shoot for months.

GoodFella
Posted By: DonPalentino

Re: Gigante ends ruse, pleads guilty - 04/08/03 06:34 PM

Sorry to get off topic here, but I have a question, Oggie is the Vallachi Papers a good book? I was wonderin' because its on sale at one of my local book store's
Posted By: goodfellaoggie

Re: Gigante ends ruse, pleads guilty - 04/08/03 06:49 PM

very good book Don P. go get it!

GoodFella
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Gigante ends ruse, pleads guilty - 04/08/03 09:33 PM

Don P. It is also a movie with Charles Bronsan and it was pretty good. Others can tell you if it was totally accurate or not, but I did enjoy it.

TIS
Posted By: DonPalentino

Re: Gigante ends ruse, pleads guilty - 04/08/03 09:42 PM

Thanks for the info guy's, I'll buy the book and check out the movie
Posted By: Family Honour

Re: Gigante ends ruse, pleads guilty - 04/09/03 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Lou:

When the judge asked him if he intentionally misled doctors, Gigante nodded his head slowly and replied, "Yes, your honor." Under a plea deal, he got three years in jail and three years probation. He appeared in court unshaven and with his hair unkempt.

So, he's finally admitted it was all a ruse :rolleyes:
How does this plea deal work then? he's admitted he was not insane and they let him of with jail time..?? I think I've missed half a story here someone please explain to me

FH
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: Gigante ends ruse, pleads guilty - 04/10/03 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Family Honour:
[quote]Originally posted by Just Lou:
[b]

So, he's finally admitted it was all a ruse :rolleyes:
How does this plea deal work then? he's admitted he was not insane and they let him of with jail time..?? I think I've missed half a story here someone please explain to me

FH [/b][/quote]It was a typical plea bargain. He was facing up to 20 years, but they let him plead guilty to the charges, and gave him 3. Very common here in the US.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Gigante ends ruse, pleads guilty - 04/10/03 05:05 AM

Yes, I thought it was strange, too, FH. But, as I understand it, the plea-bargain JustLou referred to was that they had tapes of him running the family from jail. He was looking at 10 more years. By admitting his fake act, they let him off with three.
Posted By: Family Honour

Re: Gigante ends ruse, pleads guilty - 04/10/03 10:26 AM

I get it now Turnbull, thanks, your a gentleman
I got to admit though, these plea bargains sound a bit of an easy ride!!!

FH
Posted By: BronxKing

Re: Gigante ends ruse, pleads guilty - 04/10/03 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Family Honour:
I get it now Turnbull, thanks, your a gentleman
I got to admit though, these plea bargains sound a bit of an easy ride!!!

FH
I wish the "Enron Type" criminals would do just 2 years at Riker's Island. They'ed be an ez ride.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET