Home

"Sonny was a better Don than Gotti - Your Reaction Please"

Posted By: Don Provalone

"Sonny was a better Don than Gotti - Your Reaction Please" - 06/12/02 03:34 AM

While one person was a fictional character and the other a man of great repute, both 'Dons' (Sonny and Gotti) had relatively short periods as CEO's of their families.

When I compare them in terms of their leadership abilities, I would say that Sonny was a better Don. Sonny's temper contributed to his short shelf life, but his actions never gave the law direct access to persons that put the family at risk. Gotti was daring in his hijacking of the Gambino family, dealt decisively with his enemies and had a good public image, but his recklessness left his family exposed.

What is your opinion - who demonstrated the best 'Donsmanship'?
Posted By: Snake

Re: "Sonny was a better Don than Gotti - Your Reaction Please" - 06/12/02 03:47 AM

Definitely Sonny. Gotti was more like Joey Zasa in GF III: loved being a braggart and loved the media attention. Needless to say, being a media darling is the last thing a criminal should relish. Sonny hated the media (as evidenced at Connie's wedding reception when he busted the reporter's camera). In spite of his hot-headedness, he knew when to cool it and play by the rules. Gotti had no rules. He preached them, but he didn't practice them. Three very basic rules he broke: (1) he had an affair with another made man's wife; (2) he knocked off a boss without full consent of the commission; and (3) while he didn't deal drugs himself, he looked the other way while some of his buddies did. And although Sonny was interested in "that white powder," he was going to listen to his father regardless. Sonny was at least don-material; Gotti just happened to be in the right spot at the right time and bullied his way into the position with no respect whatsoever for others. Gotti was an LCN unto himself.
Posted By: scarface_denver

Re: "Sonny was a better Don than Gotti - Your Reaction Please" - 06/12/02 11:54 PM

i say gotti ,only cause he was real....
Posted By: CamillusDon

Re: "Sonny was a better Don than Gotti - Your Reaction Please" - 06/13/02 11:16 PM

I think I will stay out of this one...What no poll?
Posted By: Joeybats

Re: "Sonny was a better Don than Gotti - Your Reaction Please" - 06/17/02 03:58 PM

No question about it...must be Santino. Gotti, while I respect him did more to destroy LCN than any Fed ever could. Gotti forgot rule #1, "this thing of ours" is not the ELks or Lions club. It is a secret society , you keep to the shadows. Gotti and his ilk got sloppy, stupid and took too many dumb chances.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: "Sonny was a better Don than Gotti - Your Reaction Please" - 06/17/02 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Provalone:
...Sonny's temper contributed to his short shelf life, but his actions never gave the law direct access to persons that put the family at risk...
True...but only because: a) Sonny didn't have the time to commit such actions, and b) Sonny & Gotti were products of completely different eras, 50 years apart. Anyway, the mere existence of Sonny's temper DID put the family at risk.

Aside from that, the already stated fact that that one is fictional (created almost 20 years before anyone heard of the other) and one was a real human being, makes any attempt at comparison a little bit odd.

Odd, but fun....I guess

Apple
Posted By: canaveral6

Re: "Sonny was a better Don than Gotti - Your Reaction Please" - 07/16/02 06:09 PM

Sony might have been more hot-headed, but atleast he wasn't stupid like Gotti.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: "Sonny was a better Don than Gotti - Your Reaction Please" - 07/16/02 06:49 PM

Anybody would have been a better Don than Gotti.
To the point about publicity: At Connie's wedding, Sonny roughs up a newspaper photographer and breaks his camera. Gotti would have posed.
Posted By: Scarlett

Re: "Sonny was a better Don than Gotti - Your Reaction Please" - 07/16/02 08:43 PM

I think Gotti was "Dapper" but stupid. It was like he just kept daring the Govt. to arrest him and to try him until they finaly got a conviction.

I think he believed his own publicity a little too much and thought he was bullettproof.

Although Sonny had a hot temper which led to his downfall I think he made a better Don.
Posted By: The Iceman

Re: "Sonny was a better Don than Gotti - Your Reaction Please" - 07/17/02 06:57 AM

As much as I admire John Gotti, and like him. I'd also have to say the Sonny was the better don.
Posted By: Anton The Penguin

Re: "Sonny was a better Don than Gotti - Your Reaction Please" - 07/17/02 08:04 AM

Oh. I wish that I knew more about real-life mafia, then I might be able to answer this question. I'm going to browse in the library then I suppose.

Anton
Posted By: MPuzo2

Re: "Sonny was a better Don than Gotti - Your Reaction Please" - 07/17/02 02:53 PM

Sonny had more of a mind for business. Gotti was a tv personality.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: "Sonny was a better Don than Gotti - Your Reaction Please" - 07/17/02 07:46 PM

Like Don Anton, I too don't feel I have enough knowledge of the real life mafia and John Gotti to give a fair answer. I actually know Sonny's personality better.

That being the case,if I had to choose, I'd go with my friend Turnbull (cause he knows everything) and say Sonny would be the better Don.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET