Home

Joe DiMaggio's Mob connections

Posted By: Michael_Corleone

Joe DiMaggio's Mob connections - 01/23/02 01:36 AM

hi, I've heard rumors that Joe D. had Mafia connections? can anyone attest to the validity of this? did he have 'em the same way Frankie S. did, or did he simply use them for gambling purposes? thank you. i know he was the basis for Al Neri's character, but that was more on physical appearances and agility.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Joe DiMaggio's Mob connections - 01/23/02 05:26 AM

Richard Ben Cramer's recent bio of DiMaggio charges that Joe was paid several hundred dollars every time he showed up at one of the numerous Mob-controlled nightclubs--his appearance was good for business. The money was allegedly held in a trust account for him at the Bowery Savings Bank in NYC, and supposedly totaled over $1 million at one time. Frank Costello's name is mentioned in connection with DiMaggio because Costello was a secret owner of many of the clubs. Cramer also alleges that DiMaggio was a pal of Longy Zwillman and Meyer Lansky.
You're right: in the novel, Clemenza, who "discovered" Neri, told the Don and Michael that Neri was a marvel--physically, he could have been another DiMaggio.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Joe DiMaggio's Mob connections - 01/23/02 02:52 PM

Also there's the famous story that during his marriage to Marilyn Monroe, DiMaggio got help from Frankie & his mob connections to storm in on a suspected liason between Miss Monroe & another man. However...they broke into the wrong hotel room.

Apple
Posted By: Michael_Corleone

Re: Joe DiMaggio's Mob connections - 01/23/02 08:17 PM

really, i didn't know about that fiasco. was Marilyn really that promiscous? on the contrary, i got the impression that joltin' joe was a bad husband. bad is probably too strong a word. he did love her more than did any other man, but he could also be very acerbic in his relationships, inadvertetnly pusing away those he cherished. i also read that Joe D. was not a particular fan of the philandering sianatra.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Joe DiMaggio's Mob connections - 01/23/02 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael_Corleone:
...was Marilyn really that promiscous? on the contrary, i got the impression that joltin' joe was a bad husband...

I can't speak for MM; the main question here is did Joltin' Joe trust her, which he obviously did not. If she was messing around, there may have been other ways for him to handle it than having a bunch of thugs w/ cameras barge in on it. He did not approve of her career or the male adulation she received, but what the heck can you expect when you marry a sex-goddess movie star!?!? And yes, I've heard that he did slap her around.

Well...enough about the greatest living (until 1999) Yankee.

Apple
Posted By: Don Tissinno

Re: Joe DiMaggio's Mob connections - 01/26/02 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael_Corleone:
was Marilyn really that promiscous?

Is the Pope Catholic? Remember Marilyn had liaison's with both Jack and Robert Kennedy.

[ January 26, 2002: Message edited by: Don Tissinno ]
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET