Home

Road to perdition

Posted By: Paul Pisano

Road to perdition - 06/21/06 08:53 PM

I just finished watching the dvd and it was pretty good. I remember the first time I saw it on HBO I wasn't to pleased. The dvd is in widescreen which is the way many movies are intended to be viewed. Paul Newman was outstanding. Hanks was convincing as Mike Sullivan. I never read the graphic novel however. One of the deleted scenes had Anthony LaPaglia as Al Capone but was cut out.
Posted By: Dario

Re: Road to perdition - 06/21/06 11:29 PM

I've seen too...not so good, not so bad. Newman is ok, Hank a little bit less (I can't figure him in dramatic role, he has done too much comedy). The journalist-hitman is an unreal character. Plus, I don't like irish mafia. Then the best of the film in my opinion is the story, very good.
However, I just discover now "Road to perdition" as original title, italian version is "Era mio padre" (He was my father), I think because of the final words of his son.
Posted By: finsnasty84

Re: Road to perdition - 08/03/06 11:26 PM

I thought it was pretty good.
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: Road to perdition - 08/04/06 05:21 AM

A great film. Not as good as Mendes' American Beauty but a great and beautiful film all the same. I love the Rain Scene.
Posted By: SC

Re: Road to perdition - 08/04/06 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
A great film. .... I love the Rain Scene.
That was one of the most beautifully photographed scenes I ever saw in ANY movie!

The more I watch the movie, the better I like it (and I liked it from the first time I saw it).
Posted By: plawrence

Re: Road to perdition - 08/04/06 11:30 AM

I liked it a lot, altho I'm no fan of Tom Hanks (often to the point of really disliking him).

Seeing it with my teenage son, though, may have colored my judgement a bit about its quality because I gave it some extra points for being a truly great "father-son" movie.

For me at least, that's what the film was all about.

Also, for comparison purposes with respect to the "Irish Mafia" and the time period, check out the Coen Brothers Miller's Crossing.
Posted By: goombah

Re: Road to perdition - 08/04/06 01:21 PM

I, too, am not big on Tom Hanks films. But I have to say, this was a decent movie. I was somewhat surprised by the ending, esp. for a Hanks movie. It was interesting to see him not play the heroic character in a film for a change.
Posted By: celtic1888

Re: Road to perdition - 01/26/07 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Vercetti
A great film. Not as good as Mendes' American Beauty but a great and beautiful film all the same. I love the Rain Scene.
i thought it was better than american beauty,brilliant film
Posted By: Ice

Re: Road to perdition - 01/27/07 03:56 PM

The story views the life/death theme and it is a crucial and frequently occuring piece of the narrative. This life/death theme is one that can always be viewed again and again. Thus, the movie is viewable, again and again. Especially the Hanks death scene in the end which offers a nice interpretation of life's meaning and what happens to us at the end of life.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET