Home

Donnie Brasco information.

Posted By: weran_everything

Donnie Brasco information. - 04/25/06 06:22 AM

I've been watching this movie latley, I've seen it before but didnt really get into it and want to find out more about the real-life story. I was at Barnes&Noble the other day and I was skimming through a book about it and there were pictures, FBI pictures like the ones in the movies... i remember a picture that was of when Sonny and Lefty found out that Donnie was a agent. Can anyone recommend a site with a good read about all the things that happened, along with some good pictures?

any help is appreciated.
Posted By: Liz_85

Re: Donnie Brasco information. - 04/25/06 04:47 PM

I don't know about a website, but Joe Pistone wrote a book. It's actually a really good read, worth getting if you're interested in the story. It's called Donnie Brasco.
Posted By: Mr.MojoRisin

Re: Donnie Brasco information. - 04/27/06 12:32 AM

How many books have been written about Joe Pistone? I know Mitch Pellegi wrote a couple, and Pistone wrote some too.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Donnie Brasco information. - 04/27/06 01:10 AM

Weran, the best source for what you're looking for is the book you were looking at in Barnes & Noble: "Donnie Brasco," by Joe Pistone. An excellent read, and even better than the movie (which was pretty good). Pistone also wrote "Way of the Wiseguy," a quick but pretty superficial read.
Posted By: Paul Pisano

Re: Donnie Brasco information. - 05/20/06 08:27 PM

I watched the extras on my Donnie Brasco DVD and they did an interview with Pistone. Ironically he never mentioned why they changed the ending. Lefty went to prison and Sonny Black was whacked.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Donnie Brasco information. - 05/21/06 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Pisano:
I watched the extras on my Donnie Brasco DVD and they did an interview with Pistone. Ironically he never mentioned why they changed the ending. Lefty went to prison and Sonny Black was whacked.
That's one of several things in the movie that either didn't appear in the book, or was changed. For example:
--In the movie, Lefty seems like the crew's schlemiel, but Brasco develops filial affection for him, even offering to give him money to quit the Mob. In the book, Pistone give Lefty credit as a good earner and a guy with clout in the family (he bested Tony Mirra in sitdown about who "owned" Brasco). But Pistone had no respect for Lefty, who he puts down as a freeloader, a cheapskate and a whiner. He saves the filial piety for Sonny Black, who he seemed to genuinely like and respect.
--As you mentioned, another role reversal was that in the movie, Lefty gets the call, but in the book, it was Sonny.
--The movie also left out Tony Mirra--"a very scary guy"--and that whole interesting interlude with the Balistrieri family in Milwaukee.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET