Home

Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi

Posted By: Peter_Clemenza

Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi - 08/25/05 04:25 PM

I have ordered Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi on Amazon.co.uk. The book will arrive in two days. I am a fan of GoodFellas, so I thought I would have found this book very interesting. I was wondering what your opinion is of the book, so I will know what to expect when I begin reading it.
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi - 08/25/05 04:26 PM

I haven't read it, but from what I've heard it's an excellent read.

Re: Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi - 08/25/05 04:59 PM

Thank you, Don_Andrew.
Posted By: goodfellaoggie

Re: Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi - 08/25/05 05:17 PM

Very good decision on getting the book. worth the read and money, one of the Best books about the Mafias.

GoodFella
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi - 08/25/05 05:35 PM

Definitely worthwhile. Pileggi has a way of being a bit too sympathetic to his subjects, but still an insightful read.

Re: Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi - 08/25/05 07:04 PM

Thank you, goodfellaoggie and Turnbull.
Posted By: Sammy the Bull

Re: Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi - 08/25/05 10:05 PM

It is a fine narrative, though it does whitewash the rather repugnant character of Henry Hill considerably (although not even in 10% as much as Scorsese's adaptation).
Posted By: scarfacefan

Re: Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi - 08/26/05 03:40 AM

One of the best books I've read, I was glued to it

Re: Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi - 08/26/05 09:26 AM

Thank you, Sammy the Bull and scarfacefan.
Posted By: Joe Batters

Re: Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi - 08/26/05 02:33 PM

It's a wonderful book, you won't be able to put it down, it has so much more in it that Godfellas left out You made a wise coice in getting it
You won't be dissapointed

Joe Batters
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi - 08/26/05 11:54 PM

Excellant book,about the life of Henry Hill and his crimes Well worth the read
Posted By: Sammy the Bull

Re: Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi - 08/27/05 02:50 PM

By the way, Henry recently sweated out a badly written and mostly redundant followup to the book, "Gangsters and Goodfellas" (Yes, of course he used the title of the film ).
It's an egocentric narrative of his life after "Wiseguy", with some newly added details of the stories covered in the first book (for instance, an implication of Gotti in De Simone's murder - strangely enough, added after Gotti had already died) and even more self-whitewashing. I absolutely wouldn't recommend it for the price that's asked for it, but if you can find it for, say, 25% of that, then you might consider it...
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi - 09/06/05 01:58 AM

I thought that was an ok book
Posted By: MistaMista Tom Hagen

Re: Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi - 09/06/05 09:12 AM

Yea I read G&G and actually fairly enjoyed it. It was like a sequel to Goodfellas, sort of, as you got to see Henry trotting around somewhat enjoying his life after he flipped. I have to agree that it "whitewashes" his life of crime and makes him seem like the victim in the situation, but still a good read, especially if you like Goodfellas and read Wiseguy.
Posted By: skaggerratt

Re: Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi - 09/07/05 02:38 PM

By far, the best book (that was the basis for a film) emulating the life of a mafiosi. I am reading it for the second time right now. (just picked it up 3 days ago along with a cigar).

P.S. Cusano 18 (a really nice cigar for a moderate price, $4.00 or less)

Re: Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi - 09/07/05 07:08 PM

I totally agree Enzo
I've read it a second time and it is just as good if not better the second time around

Joe Batters
Posted By: skaggerratt

Re: Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi - 09/08/05 04:21 PM

I have found a similar apprecation when reading The Godfather for the second time. I have also noticed that I enjoy watching the film adaptation first, and then reading the novel. I am more interested in reading from cover to cover, and I have a deeper understanding of the plot; which makes for a more enjoiable experience.
Posted By: MistaMista Tom Hagen

Re: Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi - 09/12/05 01:10 AM

Yea that always confused me, how people said they enjoyed reading the book and then seeing the movie, of any work that has both. I always liked it better seeing the movie a few times first and then reading the book.

Re: Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi - 09/12/05 02:15 AM

I've always found that after watching the movie and then reading the book in your mind while you read you have faces of characters and it makes it seem more alive.......I always imagine Ray Liotta talking it's good

Joe Batters
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET