Home

Shoot Out in Untouchables: As good as in Carlito's Way and Scarface?

Posted By: Nick. V

Shoot Out in Untouchables: As good as in Carlito's Way and Scarface? - 01/21/04 01:17 AM

Hey!

After viewing Carlito's Way I started to respect Brian De Palma, and when I watched Scarface the deal was sealed.

Carlito's Way: Has one of the most mesmerizing shoot outs I have ever seen. Ok well that's not exactly true, but I was amazed at how much tension there was. The beginning of the film revealed the ending, but when the ending came it was indeed thrilling.

Scarface: The ending shoot out was also great. I didn't feel the same kind of tension, but it had many great lines and the spectacular(World Is Mine) Reference.

Now here comes my Question.

Was the ending in the train station in Untouchables as good as Scarface and Carlito's Way?
Posted By: Scarface4ever

Re: Shoot Out in Untouchables: As good as in Carlito's Way and Scarface? - 01/31/04 03:45 PM

yeah DePalma really knows how to do the shootouts, the Untouchables shootout was even more tense than Carlitos Way, still Scarface was the best shootout of them all

Ranked
1.Scarface
2.Untouchables
3.Carlitos Way
Posted By: raggingbull2003

Re: Shoot Out in Untouchables: As good as in Carlito's Way and Scarface? - 01/31/04 04:04 PM

I still think the one in Scarface was the best, but the one in Untouchables was brilliant as well. The addition of the baby carriage rolling down the stairs is what made it so memorable.
Posted By: Don Lights

Re: Shoot Out in Untouchables: As good as in Carlito's Way and Scarface? - 01/31/04 04:28 PM

yeah Brian DePalma's shootouts are full of suspense and action. I enjoy them greatly. I like The Untouchables one as full of suspense and well done, but Scarface's final shootout is his best work ever for action scenes.
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: Shoot Out in Untouchables: As good as in Carlito's Way and Scarface? - 01/31/04 09:29 PM

I'd like the shootout in Scarface the best. I've only seen Carlito's Way once so I don't remember a shoutout (it's been awhile), but I did like the Untouchables shootout as well. The only problem with it, for me at least, is that it seems a little slow. It has A LOT of tension in it, but I think it could have been a little shorter.

Re: Shoot Out in Untouchables: As good as in Carlito's Way and Scarface? - 02/01/04 12:21 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. I will rent the film tomorrow, and then post my thoughts. I will also do a comparison between Scarface, Carlito's Way, and Untouchables.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Shoot Out in Untouchables: As good as in Carlito's Way and Scarface? - 02/01/04 12:34 AM

I don't rate De Palma. Scarface was highly overrated, and I was expecting too much from The Untouchables. I taped Casualties of War through the week, so I expect a bit better from him, though if he does all that slow motion attempt at tension in a war film it may just suck big time as well. I will definitely give The Untouchables and Scarface another watch some time though.

Mick

Re: Shoot Out in Untouchables: As good as in Carlito's Way and Scarface? - 02/01/04 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
I don't rate De Palma. Scarface was highly overrated, and I was expecting too much from The Untouchables. I taped Casualties of War through the week, so I expect a bit better from him, though if he does all that slow motion attempt at tension in a war film it may just suck big time as well. I will definitely give The Untouchables and Scarface another watch some time though.

Mick
Hey man, how can you say that Scarface (my favorite movie of all time), is overrated? I just gotta hear the reasoning behind it. Please dont' tell me your a LOTR fan, because if any movie is overrated, all 3 of them are!
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Shoot Out in Untouchables: As good as in Carlito's Way and Scarface? - 02/01/04 01:03 AM

Have you seen ALL THREE? I love them, and still think they're overhyped.

Scarface.... I posted my thoughts a while back, and have pasted them here....

My review on Scarface:

I am disappointed. Scarface is probably the most overrated film I've seen in a long time. Besides from Pacino's performance (which is not all that great anyway), it holds no entertainment value whatsoever, for me anyway; it is overlong, and I was bored withint half an hour of it starting. You don't have to think about the plot, it has no depth, and the action sequences when they come are very far-fetched. The support cast was...well, where is it?!

Before watching this film tonight my favourite De Palma film was Mission: Impossible. After seeing Scarface, it is still M:I. It is a gruesome flick that is perfect to watch when you have been belittled.

I would be happy to try it again as it probably is a movie that grows on you, but by Pacino's standards, the acting is poor at least for him (IMO) and the directing: well, De Palma exaggerates everything, so he should stick to films like Mission: Impossible, where realism isn't required.

Capo's rating: 6/10, or * out of ****.

Mick

Re: Shoot Out in Untouchables: As good as in Carlito's Way and Scarface? - 02/01/04 01:50 AM

Quote:
Capo de La Cosa Nostra I don't agree with most of the things you sad, but this is your opinion and I respect it. Brian De Palma is a genius. But I could only say this after I watched Carlito's Way ending shootout. It's masterfully shot, and had so much tension. He is overrated, but you have to give some of his movies a chance.

Casualties of War is a very hard movie to watch and I personally didn't like it myself either. But there was one spectacular scene involving Eriksson being trapped in the tunnel. I haven't seen any other war films having a scene like this, and I think De Palma knew this as well. While he copies, he can also be original. Also Ennio Morricone's score was excellent but not as good as some of his previous work. I suggest that you watch Blow Out and Body Double. Both underrated by the public, and at the same time very overrated by the fans. But both are very exiting, with some mild boring parts in between.

Quote:
Hey man, how can you say that Scarface (my favorite movie of all time), is overrated? I just gotta hear the reasoning behind it. Please dont' tell me your a LOTR fan, because if any movie is overrated, all 3 of them are!
Simple, because it's his opinion and he can say whatever he wants to. I also think Scarface is very overrated. This is the only time I will agree on with Capo de La Cosa Nostra. Except maybe the ending shoot out. It was also very overrated, and there wasn't as much tension as I was hopping for. But it's beautifully shot, with great dramatic moments(Al Pacino's Death Followed By yet Another "The World is Yours" Reference), amazing music in some places, and the famous line(Say hello to my little friend). Oliver Stone's script is not spectacular, but its definitely memorable. And sometimes that's better. I think the scene with the most tension is when Al Pacino had to blow up the car. That scene was truly amazing, and is on the same level as the ending of Carlito's way.

But in the end Scarface does indeed live up to it's reputation.

P.S I am a LOTR fan(Not a fanatic), but I do admit those films are very overrated.

Re: Shoot Out in Untouchables: As good as in Carlito's Way and Scarface? - 02/01/04 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
Besides from Pacino's performance (which is not all that great anyway), it holds no entertainment value whatsoever, for me anyway;
Capo de La, that hurts me that you say that. I understand that it's your opinion & we are all entitled to our own, but how can you not think Pacino's performance was good? What's your favorite Pacino role? This is my favorite Pacino role because after seeing this countless times, I STILL have a hard time convincing myself that this infact Al Pacino. He's just so authentic!
Posted By: Charlie M

Re: Shoot Out in Untouchables: As good as in Carlito's Way and Scarface? - 02/10/04 09:26 AM

Carlito's way is totally underrated! The storĂ½line is fascinating and the final shootout is tense! IMO the best de Palma film!
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET