Home

Public Enemy & On the Waterfront and others

Posted By: UK_Don

Public Enemy & On the Waterfront and others - 04/06/03 05:49 PM

Hey all,

A few months ago I posted a thread about the Public Enemy being released on DVD, and how I really wanted to see it.

Well I gave up waiting and ordered it on VHS over the internet, watched it today and was not disappointed. I think you really have to bear in mind how influential it was at the time, otherwise you won't fully appreciate it.

Cagney is electric, he seems head and shoulders above the other actors in the film.

I also managed to order a DVD copy of 'On the Waterfront' with Brando. This is also excellent with Brando, same as Cagney, really holding it together although the supporting cast were also great.

OK, now, questions-

-What do others think of these two films?

-Does anyone know if Public Enemy is going to be released on DVD? Or does anyone think there is even a chance?

-Finally, i am interested to hear people's views on other classics I want to see- Angels with Dirty Faces, White Heat and Little Caesar. And if anyone has any idea about the availability of these films.

THANKS!
Posted By: SC

Re: Public Enemy & On the Waterfront and others - 04/06/03 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by UK_Don:
Finally, i am interested to hear people's views on other classics I want to see- Angels with Dirty Faces, White Heat and Little Caesar. And if anyone has any idea about the availability of these films.

I own "Angels with Dirty Faces" and "White Heat" on videotape. I think they're both excellent movies and I recommend them both to any Cagney fan.

I don't know if they're available on DVD, but you can check out IMDb. The films listed there show the different formats in which they are available.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Public Enemy & On the Waterfront and others - 04/06/03 07:10 PM

"Little Caesar," "White Heat" and "Angels with Dirty Faces" are among the greatest crime movies of all time. Electrifying performances all around. If you want to try an older classic that's off the beaten path, get "Key Largo." Edward G. Robinson's performance as Mob boss Johnny Rocco makes his portrayal of Little Caesar look like a choirboy. In fact, it's hard to think of any films that either Cag or Robinson made that weren't good.
I and others here (notably SC, plawrence and Apple, I hope I haven't left out others) are big fans of "Film Noir." Try "Laura," "Asphalt Jungle," "The Killing," "Out of the Past," "The Killers."
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Public Enemy & On the Waterfront and others - 04/06/03 07:45 PM

Hey TB or SC or anyone who knows! Do you remember John Garfield and what do you think of him? I remember seeing a movie (I think the only one I've seen with him) called (I think) "I was a Fugitive From The Chain Gang", or something like it. Anyway, I thought he was pretty good but am really not real familiar with his work.

Honest, he was really before my time!!! I thought he was a good actor and good looking as well. Does anyone know if he was in any "classics" that I may know of???

TIS
Posted By: SC

Re: Public Enemy & On the Waterfront and others - 04/07/03 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
Do you remember John Garfield and what do you think of him? I remember seeing a movie (I think the only one I've seen with him) called (I think) "I was a Fugitive From The Chain Gang", or something like it.

Does anyone know if he was in any "classics" that I may know of???

I've seen some of his movies and I, too, think he was a good actor.

He wasn't in "Fugitive from a Chain Gang", but you might be thinking of "They Made Me a Criminal" (with the "Dead End Kids").

If you haven't already seen "The Postman Always Rings Twice", WATCH IT!! Its a superb drama/thriller/film-noir movie, and Garfield has a fairly large part in it.
Posted By: joltinjoe05

Re: Public Enemy & On the Waterfront and others - 04/07/03 12:20 PM

Hey I bought "On the Waterfront" DVD. I love the movie.

Re: Public Enemy & On the Waterfront and others - 04/08/03 04:18 AM

TIS, "I Was a Fugitive from a Chain Gang" (one of the most powerful films of its era) starred Paul Muni. He was memorable as "Scarface" (a Capone-like character) in the movie of the same name, which also featured George Raft and Boris Karloff, very effective as a rival mob boss.
Posted By: Kevin Rooney

Re: Public Enemy & On the Waterfront and others - 04/15/03 05:20 PM

Hi, Big Phil. You're a man after my own heart. Just check out my pic and quotes. Angels With Dirty Faces may be one of the best movies ever made. The Public Enemy is disturbing even today. Cagney was the man! He managed to be threatening, dangerous, exciting, charismatic, even likable all at the same time. You just can't get enough of him. I tell people from my own generation (30ish), you haven't seen tough until you've seen Cagney. But as far as I know, none of these classics are on DVD, same with White Heat. I'm waiting impatiently
Posted By: BronxKing

Re: Public Enemy & On the Waterfront and others - 04/20/03 06:56 PM

All of you mentioned the greatest B&W Gangster genre films of all time. Roaring 20's is another good one. And that "Postman..." flick (remade w/ Jack Nicholson and Jessica Lange but it doesn't come close to the original).Each Dawn I Die is a lesser known but great one also. I always wind up posting about that one. I wish I had 'em all on DVD.

Re: Public Enemy & On the Waterfront and others - 04/21/03 12:32 AM

Ubet, BK! "Roaring Twenties" is not only a great film on its own, it points up something about Cag's career: Even when he played a flawed, violent character, he usually had some redeeming features that gave us some sympathy for him. It's an important part of his film persona. By contrast, Bogie had no redeeming features in that film (not intended as a criticism of Bogie, one of the absolute all-time greats).

Re: Public Enemy & On the Waterfront and others - 04/21/03 01:24 AM

Ya got me thinking Mr. Turnbull. I may have to invest in this if the price goes down a tad. or maybe a used one.

Re: Public Enemy & On the Waterfront and others - 04/21/03 04:18 AM

Stiff price, BK. But four undeniably great films. Ever see "Key Largo"? Robinson at his absolute nastiest--makes his "Little Caeser" look like a choirboy.

Re: Public Enemy & On the Waterfront and others - 04/21/03 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Turnbull:
Stiff price, BK. But four undeniably great films. Ever see "Key Largo"? Robinson at his absolute nastiest--makes his "Little Caeser" look like a choirboy.
Oh yes.. is that where Betty Bacall ( we're close ) says 'Put your lips together and blow"? I think she was 19 when Bogey fell for her.

Re: Public Enemy & On the Waterfront and others - 04/22/03 04:48 AM

No. Your pal Betty was in "Key Largo," but the "blow" scene was in "To Have and Have Not."
Posted By: UK_Don

Re: Public Enemy & On the Waterfront and others - 04/23/03 06:01 PM

We should start a campaign to get the companies to release them all on DVD
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Public Enemy & On the Waterfront and others - 04/23/03 09:06 PM

Anyone interested in these films ought to visit the TCM (Turner Classic Movies) website. They're constantly making classics available on video/DVD, as well as airing them!

Only a matter of time before YOUR favorites makes the list.

http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com

Apple
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET