Home

Gangs of New York: reality?

Posted By: Don Cortisone

Gangs of New York: reality? - 03/06/03 05:58 PM

I've seen yesterday the Gangs of New York, and I wonder if the picture made up could be real.

I don't think so, but I can be wrong. I can never imagine a battle can be fought out between two gangs from that size, but I asume the movie contains some elements of truth.

Does someone have an idea of daily life in 1862 in New York? Was it really that 'raw' as showed and if not, how then? How was the relation to immigrants then? Etc etc etc...
Posted By: joltinjoe05

Re: Gangs of New York: reality? - 03/06/03 09:47 PM

Scorese said that he got the info from a factual book called "Gangs of New York".

Although most of it is very real, there are, as in most movies, elements of fiction.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Gangs of New York: reality? - 03/07/03 05:44 AM

Herbert Asbury's "The Gangs of New York" was published in 1928, and covers part of what was shown in the film. It is a fact that New York City had no formal Police Department until the 1850's, and was essentially lawless even after that (there were two competing police forces). It is also a fact that Irish and other immigrant gangs were opposed by "native" American-born gangs in regular street battles. The Civil War draft riots that Scorsese depicted also happened. In fact, an estimated 2,000 people died and another 8,000 were wounded in four days of rioting, making it the bloodiest civil disturbance in American history. However, Asbury's book makes no mention of a massive fight between the Irish and the "nativists" during the draft riots, nor of a bombardment by naval guns. He does say that military units brought cannon and howitzers into the streets, which helped defeat the rioters.

Re: Gangs of New York: reality? - 03/07/03 12:14 PM

Cool, thanks Turnbull
Posted By: XJimmy the GentX

Re: Gangs of New York: reality? - 03/07/03 04:07 PM

Scorcese's films are based on true stories.

Re: Gangs of New York: reality? - 03/08/03 04:02 PM

Yeah, but "Dude, where's my car" also starts with this message
Posted By: Justino

Re: Gangs of New York: reality? - 03/22/03 08:13 AM

Alot of the 19th America was run by gangs to help authorities and politicians crack down on petty thieves and the black market. It helped keep things streamlined.

Plus, politicians would often use gangs as coersion for votes from citizens.
Posted By: Justino

Re: Gangs of New York: reality? - 03/22/03 08:15 AM

Sorry for the double post.... but I meant to say "19th Century America"
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Gangs of New York: reality? - 07/15/03 09:11 PM

Is Ashbury's book worth reading?

Mick
Posted By: Zasa

Re: Gangs of New York: reality? - 07/15/03 11:59 PM

All of Asbury's books read like history books, but the history of crime. I read Gangs of Chicago and am about to read The French Quarter. Its the type of book you dont read all the way through without reading other books at the same time.
-Cheex
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Gangs of New York: reality? - 07/16/03 07:58 PM

I posted a thread about Gangs of Chicago a bit back. Was wondering if it was worth reading. What would you say about it, in addition to what you've already said?

Mick
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET