Home

Favorite Prison Flix?

Posted By: BronxKing

Favorite Prison Flix? - 08/25/02 02:16 PM

[img]http://mmstn04.sac2.fastsearch.net/5d0cbeac000003b500000bbb0000b6a2[/img] American Me was the most realistic 'Prison Movie' I've ever seen. I also liked Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption ( both by Stephen King). Each Dawn I Die, an oldie, is also great. What are your favorites?
Posted By: DonPalentino

Re: Favorite Prison Flix? - 08/25/02 02:39 PM

I loved The Green Mile!
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Favorite Prison Flix? - 08/25/02 04:13 PM

I too really thought "The Shawshank Redemption" was good. Also, an older one, "Escape from Alcatrz" with Clint Eastwood was also good.

TIS
Posted By: Luca Brasi

Re: Favorite Prison Flix? - 08/25/02 05:05 PM

"American Me" was a very good, and realistic prison movie ephasizing on the hispanic gangs.

I felt that "Lock Up" with Sylvester Stallone (ahh TIS )was another great prison movie, as well as "Shawshank Redemption".

I haven't seen "The Green Mile" yet, but I plan on it.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Favorite Prison Flix? - 08/25/02 05:07 PM

Thanks Luca!!! I forgot about that movie, believe it or not! Yes it was good as well. One of my favorite Sly flicks!!!

PS: It was a nice to meet you in the chat room!!!

TIS
Posted By: goddaughter

Re: Favorite Prison Flix? - 08/25/02 05:12 PM

"The Great Escape" (Steve McQueen) and of course:
"The Shawshank Redemption" (Morgan Freeman,Tim Robbins)
Posted By: Luca Brasi

Re: Favorite Prison Flix? - 08/25/02 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
Thanks Luca!!!

PS: It was a nice to meet you in the chat room!!!

TIS
It was nice chatting with you too, sorry I didn't stay long, my wife and I were watching GF3 and she wanted some attention.

Hope to see you in there soon.
Posted By: Snake

Re: Favorite Prison Flix? - 08/25/02 06:35 PM

Refreshing thread, Bronx King! I would vote for "The Wild Women of Cellblock C," but you're probably not looking for those kinds of movies, huh? But, seriously, folks...
I liked An Innocent Man with Selleck, The Shawshank Redemption, and The Longest Yard. Granted, that latter flick wasn't a deadly serious prison movie, but I still liked it. Murder in the First, although not another 'strictly prison' movie, was good. In fact, it had the only decent acting I've ever seen out of Kevin Bacon and Christian Slater!
Posted By: goodfellaoggie

Re: Favorite Prison Flix? - 08/25/02 06:49 PM

i like "In the name of the Father", this is based on a true story. i think this is an English movie, im not familiar with the names of the actors. i saw this movie a few years back. theres a scene here that the prisoners watch The Godfather. and "Green Mile" of course. escape from alcatraz is also a good one . . .

GoodFella
Posted By: Family Honour

Re: Favorite Prison Flix? - 08/25/02 07:31 PM

I would have to agree with 'Shawshank' too, and definately 'The Green Mile' a great film

FH
Posted By: goddaughter

Re: Favorite Prison Flix? - 08/25/02 07:46 PM

Goodfellaoogie :
I have often heard about "In the name of the father" and for some reason I always assumed it was an irish film although to my knowledge I've never actually seen it.
Also: are you sure its a prison film?

Re: Favorite Prison Flix? - 08/25/02 08:20 PM

[img]http://mmstn04.sac2.fastsearch.net/5d0cbeac000003b500000bbb0000b6a2[/img] Name of the Father was a pretty good IRA movie where some of the film did take the place in prison.
Hey Snake, I also saw Innocent Man, where Tom Selleck used great acting ability showing a man slowly and permanently changed by prison life. His performance was subtle and powerful. F. Murray Abraham was great and I recommend the movie highly. Don't be put off thinking 'oh no not Tom Sellick', it's a good solid flick...thanx Snake for reminding me!!!
Posted By: Alberto_Neri

Re: Favorite Prison Flix? - 08/25/02 08:23 PM

Blood In Blood Out
The Shawshank Redemption
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Favorite Prison Flix? - 08/25/02 10:50 PM

I like this topic, because I'm a sucker for prison fims, especially "b-movie" prison films, which make no apologies for parading cheap sentiment.
My favorites are:
1. "Brute Force," from the late '40's, with Burt Lancaster, and Hume Cronyn exceptionally effective as a viciously brutal guard captain. Great film!
2. "Women's Prison," with Ida Lupino and Howard Duff. Every prison cliche from the '50's, presented without apology, and with conviction. Lupino highly convincing as a hateful, closet-lesbian guard captain victimizing a weepy, semi-innocent blond prisoner (Jan Sterling)unjustly sent away. Incredibly entertaining!
3. "Riot in Cell Block 11," with Neville Brand and Emile Meyer. A "message" film from the '50's that never lets its message (prison reform is needed) get in the way of good old-fashioned rioting and thuggery.

Re: Favorite Prison Flix? - 08/25/02 11:02 PM

[img]http://mmstn04.sac2.fastsearch.net/5d0cbeac000003b500000bbb0000b6a2[/img] Turnbull...ya gotta love those old back and white movies on a rainy Sunday afternoon (or anytime as a matter of fact). I'd like to see Hume Cronyn as a mean guy--he doesn't seem the type.
I just thought of another good one. Have you seen Murder in the First? Very powerful.

Re: Favorite Prison Flix? - 08/27/02 12:26 AM

I didn't see "Murder in the First," BK--if you're recommending it, I'll watch for it. Hume Cronyn was really convincing as a brutal prison captain, and it may be that the unlikeliness of him in that role reinforced it. Sorta like Henry Fonda as a cold-blooded killer in "Once Upon a Time in the West."
Posted By: Blake

Re: Favorite Prison Flix? - 08/27/02 01:06 AM

I really like the green mile. Oz is a sick tv show!

Re: Favorite Prison Flix? - 08/27/02 02:02 AM

[img]http://mmstn04.sac2.fastsearch.net/5d0cbeac000003b500000bbb0000b6a2[/img] Turnbull, read this- Murder in the First

Re: Favorite Prison Flix? - 08/27/02 04:26 AM

Interesting, BK. I also looked it up on amazon.com. Thanks!
Posted By: Daniel Corleone

Re: Favorite Prison Flix? - 08/27/02 04:48 AM

Shawshank for me was the most insightful film connected to prison life. I liked some scenes in American History X and Blow.

DC
Posted By: Wiseguy_1872

Re: Favorite Prison Flix? - 08/31/02 11:30 AM

Worth taking a look at the relatively recent "The Last Castle" military prison movie, starring Robert Redford and James Gandolfini.

Take a look, if only to take a look at James Gandolfini in a very different role as the chillingly calm and sadistic military prison governor.

Re: Favorite Prison Flix? - 08/31/02 12:33 PM

[img]http://mmstn04.sac2.fastsearch.net/5d0cbeac000003b500000bbb0000b6a2[/img]
Quote:
Originally posted by Wiseguy_1872:
Worth taking a look at the relatively recent "The Last Castle" military prison movie, starring Robert Redford and...
I think we have similar tastes in movies, so I'll definitely check it out.

Hey! Just noticed your avatar! That's the Wiseguy we know and love!!! ( At least that's how we all met you.)
Posted By: nbcabde

Re: Favorite Prison Flix? - 09/01/02 03:33 AM

My favourite prison movie would have to be Midnight Express. One of my favourite movie of all time.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET