Home

Donnie Brasco - Santos Trafficante

Posted By: Wiseguy_1872

Donnie Brasco - Santos Trafficante - 08/22/02 07:35 AM

It's been a while since I read the book, but I see Donnie Brasco on video periodically. I understand that the guys are in the Bonanno Family.

When they go to Florida they deal with Santos Trafficante-was Trafficante part of the Bonannos -if not what was his relationship to them? In one of the early scenes in Donnie Brasco Donnie, Lefty, Sonny, Paulie, Nicky and lots of other wiseguys are waiting for the boss to arrive by car and are out to show the flag,as someone puts it.

Was that boss Trafficante? I know he appears later in the film in Florida. But was that also him in New York? Where were Trafficante's main territories - was it both Florida and NY also??? Thanks for your input.
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: Donnie Brasco - Santos Trafficante - 08/22/02 05:52 PM

No, the boss they were waiting for when they were "flying the flag" I think would have been the boss at the time of the Bonannos. Carmine Galante. Santo Trafficante was the boss of a seperate Family down in Tampa Bay, Florida. As far as I know he didn't really have territory in NY but had connections. The relationship the Bonannos had with him was simple. They had to pay tribute for everything they set up down there, Horse Tracks, Bars etc.

Basically as you've read the book this'll just refresh your memory.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: Wiseguy_1872

Re: Donnie Brasco - Santos Trafficante - 08/22/02 10:38 PM

Thanks a lot Turi.
That makes a lot of sense. That film is great, inevitably it can be a bit fuzzy over details.
Nonetheless, the film is up there with the best mobster movies. I'll take another look at the book and the crime library to refresh my memory.
Posted By: Paul Pisano

Re: Donnie Brasco - Santos Trafficante - 09/07/02 06:48 PM

Hi,
If you read the book it shows that the movie is inaccurate. Lefty is in the can not with the fishes. Pacino's character should have lived and Michael Madsen's character Sonny(Black)Napolitano was the one to be WHACKED out.

Paul
Posted By: Family Honour

Re: Donnie Brasco - Santos Trafficante - 09/07/02 08:39 PM

Hi Paul

that part of the film always bothered me too. I would have preferred the real ending to have been left alone. Not making it into that 'sentimental type thing' making out Lefty walked out to his death leaving his jewellery behind (which what I read is what Sonny Black actually did, I read he shared it with his crew before he went for his 'meeting'.)
Still, I suppose thats what you can do when it's 'your' film Still an excellent film tho

Family honour
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET