Home

Gangs of New York

Posted By: bige2times

Gangs of New York - 06/20/02 07:07 AM

I think this is the name of the new Martin Scorese film. I originally saw previews for it last year. I hadn't seen anything on it since. Wondering if anybody new something about it.
Posted By: MobbingForMoney

Re: Gangs of New York - 06/20/02 07:24 AM

All I know was that Scorsese was not happy with a part of it,and it is supposed to open around December.
Posted By: Family Honour

Re: Gangs of New York - 06/22/02 02:01 PM

I'll probably get slated for this but I dont like the look of it at all. It isnt modern day and I think it's old irish gangs in old america.I just dont fancy it

FH
Posted By: the mattress

Re: Gangs of New York - 06/22/02 04:15 PM

I agree, family honour. I wanted to see it before, now i dont think i can be bothered when it eventually comes out over here
Posted By: CamillusDon

Re: Gangs of New York - 06/23/02 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Family Honour:
I'll probably get slated for this but I dont like the look of it at all. It isnt modern day and I think it's old irish gangs in old america.I just dont fancy it

FH
Of course it is in the past...Most good flims are in the old Hay day of gangsters...Once Upon time in America, Godfather, ect...

Re: Gangs of New York - 06/24/02 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CamillusDon:
[quote]Originally posted by Family Honour:
[b]I'll probably get slated for this but I dont like the look of it at all. It isnt modern day and I think it's old irish gangs in old america.I just dont fancy it

FH
Of course it is in the past...Most good flims are in the old Hay day of gangsters...Once Upon time in America, Godfather, ect...[/b][/quote]I know I know Cam, and I agree usually but I just dont fancy this 'old gang thing' I saw a trailer from the film site and I didnt like what I saw.
If I'm wrong when it comes out and I do like it, I'll hold my hand up ok.

FH
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: Gangs of New York - 06/24/02 11:08 PM

I was really looking forward to it. It seemed like it was going to be a good enjoyable film even though Mr Titanic was going to be in it. I put my anger away and looked towards maybe seeing a good film. Now with all this delays and commotion it's really putting me off it. But that aside, I hope Scorsese can pull something special off here, go on lad - "have it".
Posted By: the angel of justice

Re: Gangs of New York - 06/24/02 11:32 PM

While i think it is set a while ago, i don't think that by any means its actually a mafia film.
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: Gangs of New York - 06/24/02 11:38 PM

I think it's well before the mafia. I know there's Irish in it and maybe Italians. Probably just "Gangs of New York" establishing territory and power. All this talk is making me look forward to it again. That's if it ever comes out.
Posted By: The Iceman

Re: Gangs of New York - 06/25/02 07:17 AM

I was thinking about seeing it until I heard that Leo what's his name? Is in it, after I heard that I decided no way, they'd have to pay me to see it.

I hate leo what's his name?
Posted By: MobbingForMoney

Re: Gangs of New York - 06/25/02 07:29 AM

From IMDb.com:

"The film starts in 1846 and ends in 1863 with the draft riots. The setting is New York's five points, the most violent part of the world at the time. The story is risen out of the conflicts between the white Anglo-Saxon "natives" and the Italian immigrants coming into the five points. One boy needs to avenge the death of his father..."
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Gangs of New York - 06/25/02 01:30 PM

Maybe I'm outnumbered here, but I don't have anything against Leo. I saw previews of this movie about a month ago, while at the theatre. I am not crazy about the "era" of the film. I don't know why exactly, but it might be pretty good. I think Leo may surprise some folks.

Someone on the board can go see it and let us know how it is.

Re: Gangs of New York - 06/25/02 01:34 PM

P.S. Oh, I saw Leo DiCaprio about a year ago on tv (Entertainment Tonight, or something) and he was in Italy and he said how the "movie people" tried to get him to change is name and said that he was proud of his Italian heritage (he's half I think) and refused to change it. I guess that scored points with me......

Re: Gangs of New York - 06/25/02 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by annt:
P.S. Oh, I saw Leo DiCaprio about a year ago on tv (Entertainment Tonight, or something) and he was in Italy and he said how the "movie people" tried to get him to change is name and said that he was proud of his Italian heritage (he's half I think) and refused to change it. I guess that scored points with me......
The last film I saw him in was 'The Beach' before that I'd only ever seen him in titanic.
I dont think Al has anything to worry about

FH
Posted By: DonPalentino

Re: Gangs of New York - 06/25/02 04:29 PM

I heard he had to gain like 30 or 40 pounds to play the part. Is there any truth to that?

Re: Gangs of New York - 06/25/02 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonPalentino:
I heard he had to gain like 30 or 40 pounds to play the part. Is there any truth to that?
Which part Don P?

FH
Posted By: Pherdy

Re: Gangs of New York - 11/02/02 11:19 AM

Posted By: Irishman12

Re: Gangs of New York - 11/02/02 06:40 PM

Is this movie about Irish gangs, or Italian?
Posted By: goddaughter

Re: Gangs of New York - 11/02/02 07:03 PM

I think somebody mentioned before it had something to do with Italians and Anglo-Saxons.
I dont really know anything else about the film except that U2 have a song called "The hands that built America" on the soundtrack.
Leo DiCaprio looks kinda scary in that poster...thoughs blue eyes look kinda out of place on his face.

Re: Gangs of New York - 11/03/02 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MobbingForMoney:
From IMDb.com:

"The film starts in 1846 and ends in 1863 with the draft riots. The setting is New York's five points, the most violent part of the world at the time. The story is risen out of the conflicts between the white Anglo-Saxon "natives" and the Italian immigrants coming into the five points. One boy needs to avenge the death of his father..."
I must admit the thing that I don't care for is the "era" in which it takes place. It's not a mafia movie, but an "early" gang movie I guess. By the previews, DiCaprio seemed good and so did the cast, but I still don't know if I will see it or not.

TIS
Posted By: Don Sauno

Re: Gangs of New York - 11/03/02 04:18 AM

This is one of the MANY movies I'm anticipating. Another Leo movie I'm really looking forward to is Catch Me If You Can, Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks.

It's obviously not really mafia, but looks like an intense gangster epic. Good acting, directing, sets, cinematography, etc. I think I'll definately go for it.

Re: Gangs of New York - 11/03/02 05:00 AM

Dan Sauno,

Make sure you post a "review" after you see gangs. I am sure many of us are curious about it.

I saw a movie critic a couple days ago on tv talking about both "Gangs" and "Catch Me If You Can", and he said Catch Me was better than Gangs.
For whatever that's worth. Many times I don't necessarily agree with critics.

TIS
Posted By: goodfellaoggie

Re: Gangs of New York - 11/03/02 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by goddaughter:
Leo DiCaprio looks kinda scary in that poster...thoughs blue eyes look kinda out of place on his face.
right goddaughter. he looks like a Monster!

GoodFella
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Gangs of New York - 11/03/02 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
[QUOTE]I must admit the thing that I don't care for is the "era" in which it takes place. It's not a mafia movie, but an "early" gang movie I guess. By the previews, DiCaprio seemed good and so did the cast, but I still don't know if I will see it or not.

TIS
Yes, it's not a Mafia era, TIS. But it was probably the most violent, gang-dominated era in NYC history. It was the period of time when immigrant gangs first started vying for domination of rackets, and forging political ties that were to pay off big-time during Prohibition and afterward. The famous draft riot of 1863 was the most violent, costly and murderous urban insurrection in American history. I'm not crazy about DiCaprio, but I won't miss anything by Scorsese. Can't wait!

Re: Gangs of New York - 11/03/02 08:44 PM

I'm going to see this flick, I have a few reservations about it, but it's been that long in the making and being put back etc, I'm thinking it MUST be worth a look. How long has it been now 18 month or so??

FH
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET