Home

International Mob Movies

Posted By: geeniuce

International Mob Movies - 10/24/08 12:14 AM

Ok I thought that a list of mob movies from other countries other than american would be a good idea, I would be interested in knowing some more titles to watch.

So here's to start:

Mesrine (currently being released in theatres in France, french movie) starring Vincent Cassel

Gomorra (in theatres now) Italian movie , I'm looking foward to see that one

i will post some more later
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: International Mob Movies - 10/24/08 03:09 AM

Bienvenu, Geeniuce!
French cinema has a long and honorable tradition of film noir and other gangster genres. Please post more about French and European gangster films. smile
Posted By: Blibbleblabble

Re: International Mob Movies - 10/24/08 04:51 AM

One that I really like is Cidade de Deus ("City of God" in English) from Brazil.

Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: International Mob Movies - 10/24/08 02:10 PM

City of God was one of the best movies I ever saw, that was really well made.
Posted By: Thermopylae

Re: International Mob Movies - 06/27/09 09:11 PM

SOLO,an Australian mob movie that was made in '06.
"An enforcer strives to get out of working for The Gentlemen, a group of Sydney underworld businessmen."
This was something new.Im used to watching mob movies that are set in NY,CA,or IL but this movie was played in Sydney,Australia.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: International Mob Movies - 06/28/09 02:01 PM

Turnbull's right to mention French film noir. Big up to Jean-Pierre Melville: Le samourai (1967) and Le cercle rouge (1970) are both pretty amazing. I called the former film my favourite for quite some time; not seen it in a while though. Melville made others, too.

Elsewhere in France, Godard's debut feature À bout de souffle (1959) is a homage to Monogram; it oozes cool, with Jean-Paul Belmondo basing his style and mannerisms on the Bogart of The Harder They Fall. If you like that, you'll enjoy Bande à part (1964), another "gangster B movie" in similar vein to À bout de souffle, and a film that heavily influened Tarantino's Pulp Fiction.

Jules Dassin's Rififi (1955) is a great, tense heist film, in which the heist is some sort of silent ballet. In terms of neo-noir, France's new New Wave, of sorts, exploded with the incredibly stylish (if now quite dated) Diva (1981).

I'd check out Takeshi Kitano's films, too. Violent Cop (1989), Boiling Point (1990) and Sonatine (1993) represent a sort of Yakuza trilogy; they're all offbeat, charismatic gangster films. Once you check them out, see Kitano take his style to America with Brother (2000).

The UK has its fair share of gangster flicks. Turnbull would recommend The Krays (1990), but I'm not a fan. Likewise, I remember not liking Gangster No. 1 (2000) that much either, but it has its fans. Sexy Beast (2000), though, is a great, thrilling, well-acted take on the "retired gangster" genre. Also an interesting heist film. The Long Good Friday (1980) is brilliant, from what I can remember (not much). But the pinnacle of the no-shit, nuts-and-bolt British gangster flick is Get Carter (1971).

Not quite a "gangster film", but a fascinating flirtation with the seedy London milieu, is Roeg and Cammel's Performance (1970), starring Mick Jagger and James Fox.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: International Mob Movies - 06/29/09 01:15 PM

Two other UK gangster films i would add are ESSEX BOYS starring Sean Bean, based on the true story of the UK Ecstasy trade!

Also THE BUSINESS starring Danny Dyer, based on the London villains now living in Spain in exile!

Both are worth a look,if not outstanding.

I agree with Capo in that GET CARTER is the best ever UK gangster film and GANGSTER NO.1 is a pile of crap!
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: International Mob Movies - 07/13/09 01:30 AM

The Sicilian Clan offers splendid performances by Jean Gabin and Alain Delon, plus an exciting (if somewhat far-fetched) denouement. I also very much liked Killing Zoe, a Franco/American production with an awe-inspiring performance by Jean-Huges Anglade and solid work by Julie Delpy and Eric Stolz--something like Dog Day Afternoon without the mordant humor.

A truly brilliant Italian Mafia film: Mafioso, directed by Alberto Lattuada and starring the great Alberto Sordi--only the Italians can bring off tragedy, pathos and humor with such panache.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: International Mob Movies - 07/23/09 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
Turnbull's right to mention French film noir. Big up to Jean-Pierre Melville: Le samourai (1967) and Le cercle rouge (1970) are both pretty amazing. I called the former film my favourite for quite some time; not seen it in a while though. Melville made others, too.
I watched Le doulos last week, and can report it's definitely worth seeing, though perhaps not before the other Melville films. (From what I've seen, Melville's best film by some stretch isn't a gangster film but a war film, called Army of Shadows.)
Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica

Re: International Mob Movies - 10/09/09 05:01 AM

I really enjoy Italian movies about the mafia and crime, they can be really poignant at times; Man of Glass (the story of early Cosa Nostra defector Leonardp Vitale), One Hundred Steps (about Peppino Impastato) and there's one i think called Crime Story, about a young crew of Romans (or Milanese - i cant remember) that try and make it to the top of the crime ladder, striking deals with Sicilian mafiosi and taking out a Calabrian mobster.

I cant remember the Italian translations for these movies, theres heaps of other cool ones as well. They deal with mob and mafia stories from such interesting perspectives and with such a different approach: Mob Drama almost instead of the dark comedy of the American gangster film prototype. An example is this movie (which dammit i cant remember the name of) in which a crew of Southern Italian criminals kidnap the son of a wealthy couple and hold him ransom. What's intersting is that the story unfolds through the eyes of a ringleaders son, who strikes up a friendship of sorts with the child he slowly learns his father has "stolen".

Damn it, i'll have to google that shit now.
Posted By: Dandi

Re: International Mob Movies - 07/28/13 10:57 PM

Just sat and watched le deuxieme souffle (1966). Truly wonderful piece of film-making. Also highly recommend The Pusher Trilogy of films; especially the second (although a trilogy the films work perfectly well independently of one another, so don't necessarily have to be watched in order of release).
Posted By: furio_from_naples

Re: International Mob Movies - 07/29/13 04:10 PM

Il caso Pisciotta a 1972 movie

Cento giorni a Palermo (English: One hundred days in Palermo) is a 1984 movie

Confessions of a Police Captain (Italian: Confessione di un commissario di polizia al procuratore della repubblica, also known as Confessions of a Police Commissioner to the District Attorney) is 1971 movie

From Corleone to Brooklyn (original title: Da Corleone a Brooklyn) is a 1979 movie

In the Name of the Law (or In nome della legge) is a 1949 movie

Posted By: Iceman999

Re: International Mob Movies - 08/04/13 01:38 AM

Eurocrime! The Italian Cop and Gangster Films that Ruled the 70's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rldJUplURY
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET