Home

The Boards' Birthday

Posted By: SC

The Boards' Birthday - 07/12/06 06:43 PM

Geoff opened these boards (in this format) for registration five years ago tomorrow (July 13, 2001).

We'll be five years old!

I was going to bake a cake but I think a pie would be more appropriate - a pizza pie!

We've been witness to some events that have changed the world in that short time. We've shared some fun times as well as sad times. Our ranks have grown and happily some of our members have seen their own families grow as well (most recently Yogi Barrabbas'). Sadly we've bid farewell to some loved ones also (most recently Sr. Vitelli's bride, Trish).

I've personally had the good fortune to have made real friendships from these boards... friendships that will last me for as long as I live.

Think about it - many of us end up here when some major news event happens. We get comfort and information from sharing the news. I think that says a lot about our little community.

So, once again, a special shout-out to Geoff thanking him for hosting our home away from home.

Anyone have a favorite moment (from these boards) they want to share?
Posted By: Beth E

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/12/06 06:53 PM

I remember when Uzi posted his Mama Corleone is dead thread and everyone started posting their pictures. It was great to put fresh faces to posts of people we felt we knew already.

I used to love the Melting Pot threads. Aren't we due for another? :p The "survey" threads were nice where people gave mutliple choice questions and we had to decide how well we knew our fellow bber's.

Of course, we can't forget how we shared our memories when we were here on 9/11.

And last but not least, the days of marveling at Snake's "ass".
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/12/06 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beth E:
And last but not least, the days of marveling at Snake's "ass".
...not to mention Vercetti's veiny ass.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/12/06 06:56 PM

Happy Bday Boards here to many more years
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/12/06 07:12 PM

Happy Birthday to the best boards on the Internet
Posted By: Mignon

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/12/06 07:25 PM

Happy Birthday Gangster BB. I have met some of the greatest people on earth on and off the boards. I always get a good laugh or a migraine reading the debates. Another great thread is reading Neal Pulcawer news articles. Thank you so much Don Geoffy for giving us the best web site.
Also a big thank you goes to Geoffy and the Mod's for keeping it great.
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/12/06 07:51 PM

I've been here a year, and it's been great. Good people all around.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/12/06 08:00 PM

Is this the best BB in the world or what??? I first discovered and posted here just over 4 years ago. Little did I know it would become another "home" for me.

Like a family, we've had ups/downs, disagreements/make-ups, shared in each others joys & sorrows and for the most part, have more or less become a part of each other's lives.

I too have made what I'd like to think as lasting friends, regardless of the miles that separate us.

Thank you Geoff for giving us all the opportunity to meet each other here. You and SC are to be credited for your superior moderation of the BB. Pat yourselves on the back!

In keeping with my usual tradition, I suggests we have an "open house" chat in the chatroom tomorrow. Join whenever you can, however many times you like; ;or just stop in and say hello.

Again, Happy Birthday BB, and a big thanks to our wonderful leader Geoff.

TIS
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/12/06 08:33 PM

What can I say?? I have read posts that moved me to laughter, and sometimes to tears. I am especially thankful to these boards for bringing me my Plaw, who has turned out to be a dear and wonderful friend (only admitting that because he's on vacation and probably won't read it, therefore I can avoid feeding his already massive ego).

I have met some of the most fun, caring and considerate people through these boards. I remember being so very, very scared last July when we met in New Jersey, but DC kept reassuring me that I had nothing to fear. I was convinced that I was going to meet a bunch of ax-murdering white-slavers (okay, some of them WERE, but...) and I can't even begin to describe how much fun I had with everyone. And I've enjoyed the few dinners I've had since then just as much.

Although there are some I've only talked to here on the boards, it's always an interesting place to tune into. Where else could you meet people from all over the globe and learn about so many different cultures and viewpoints?

JG, thank you so much for giving us this place of refuge. It has been a welcome respite from the chaos that is life. And another thanks to the mods for doing such a great job in keeping us all on our best behavior. Mille grazie e cent'anni!!

(and as you read that last part, I know you were all doing Deanna in your head - Cent'anni? What's that?)

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/12/06 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
What can I say?? I have read posts that moved me to laughter, and sometimes to tears.
Or posts that I laughed so hard I got tears like the frozen cheesecake one

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/12/06 10:21 PM

Just think 5 years ago today we didn't even know the other people here existed. It just blows my mind. Sort of like shroons.

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/12/06 11:06 PM

What fantasy sport geek here can forget when someone started a baseball game, insisting you just had to pick a player at each position, and stay under the salary cap. You could set it and forget it if you chose. (Wish I could find the exact thread that was in. Guess it was deleted to hide the evidence).
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/06 08:55 AM

Happy birthday GBB!!

-Barzini.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/06 01:54 PM

I can't top SC's eloquent paen to these boards, nor all the other well-deserved kudos.
For me, it's the pleasure of having a friendly, congenial place to be at any time of day or night, where I can meet and interact with witty, intelligent, well-informed people who share a love of GF and gangster stuff--and a regard for each other. Plus, the pleasure of meeting some of the wonderful folks here in person is something that'd never have happened without our Don.
Geoff, you deserve a Nobel Peace Prize for the peace, civility, knowledge and sheer pleasure you've brought to literally thousands of people, literally around the world, through the Boards you so generously host. Bravo!
Posted By: JustMe

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/06 02:23 PM

Happy Board-day everyone!
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/14/06 11:27 PM

Haha, wow. Five years and I've been part of them all. Scary considering I still regard myself as one of the young members.

Thanks JG for keeping this place going, I know you've faced many challenges of the upkeep of the BB and the idiots that have caused you stress (on occasions me - but I think that's well well behind me).

And also many thanks to the moderators. SC from near the beginning and Plaw and Cardi to follow.

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/14/06 11:47 PM

Well, considering you were the first to post on these new boards, it took you long enough to write something about the anniversary. :p

I can't SWEAR to it, but I THINK Turi was the first member to actually post a message here. I don't remember what the message said but it was probably something like, "Damn, I spilled my beer".
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/15/06 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
"Damn, I spilled my beer".
I guess thats our equivalent of breaking a bottle of champagne against the side of the ship
Posted By: Don Sicilia

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/17/06 01:47 PM

Happy Belated Birthday to the boards!

My favorite thread, of course, is the first year of Baseball Challenge, when we were all rookies and as Bethie said earlier, some little bird told us that the game was easy - just set it and forget it.

If I saw that little bird now, I'd tell it to shoo! :p

This board is great. It's been one of my first stops in the morning for the last five years and I've met some of the nicest and witty people I've ever known. Here's to another 5!
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/17/06 03:21 PM

The best were Uzi's threads.
Posted By: CamillusDon

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/17/06 05:12 PM

I understand that there was a party going on around here!
Nineteen lousy posts and you people call this a party?

No peppers and sausage? No wine?

Where is the band? The cake? The dancing girls?

Things have sure changed a lot since the old days. A whole lot of new faces too. And for crying out loud, look at those post numbers! I saw one person with 30,000 posts?

You know this board has lasted longer then some people's marriages.

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/17/06 05:51 PM

Nice to see you come out of the woodwork, Cam! But it's only been what, 6 months? :p

I actually got an email from Anton the other day, so who knows, maybe he'll pop in to say hi. I do miss LDV, tho, I think it's been almost a year.
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/17/06 06:57 PM

Cam posting again?

Was someone holding an 8 mm video camera or something?

Welcome back, if you're back for good.

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/17/06 07:26 PM

Holy canoli!!!!! Cam????? How the heck are you?

TIS
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/17/06 08:17 PM

Five years old! My how you've grown. Run, Forrest, Run!

I stumbled on the site while looking for Godfather quotes. Then I was afraid someone would steal my identity, so I disguised myself as a woman. Then out of the closet I came. My family is still afraid that everyone here are really gangster. That's why they won't let me go to those dinners.

Unfortunately I now have a job where I have to work all day (not like most of youse). Cheers, peace and continued success to our Godfather and his Frankensteinesque creation. SMOKE, Goooooood!
Posted By: Fame

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/18/06 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
The best were Uzi's threads.
They still exist. Uzi's threads and Cardi's 9/11 threads are the only survivors I think.

Anyway, this board is still a baby. Hail to the days of the "old scarface boards"!

Cheers GBB, JG, SC and everyone!
JG - speech please.
Plaw - breakdown please.
Posted By: plawrence

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/18/06 01:47 AM

Congrats JG, for running one of the best Message Boards on the Intermet.

Sincerely....I don't know what I'd do without it, not to mention the several true, real-life friends I've made here over the years.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fame:
Plaw - breakdown please.
If it's a nervous breakdown you're looking for, I've already had a few.

If you're waiting for me to break down and start crying for happiness.....

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/18/06 02:04 AM

I have to say, I'd sure miss this place too, if it ceased to exist. Because of the BB:

1. I finally got the "push" I needed to get my butt to NYC, a city I've wanted to visit all my life.

2. I found out that I wasn't the only diehard GF fan and came to this board thinking I was pretty well informed. Boy, I sure found out differently. I've learned so much, enjoyed so many different theories, opinions and insights from those so much more knowledgeable on the subject than I.

3. I probably would have never called in to a radio station to answer GF trivia and enjoy hearing many of my on-line friends on the air.

4. I feel too, that I've met personally true friends, and via cyberspace, some of the nicest people all over the world.

Do you really think say 5 years from now, we'll all still be posting here??? 10? Why we may still be here in fifty years to see Vercetti, DMC, DJ and FS as old men. Let's see, I'll be what? 130 by then. Give me a blue drink and I'll toast you all!!! :p

You guys are all a lot of fun to talk and laugh with. Don't like fighting though.

TIS

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/18/06 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:

Why we may still be here in fifty years to see Vercetti, DMC, DJ and FS as old men.

TIS
What is FS doing in that list? hes not one of the youngsters...I think.

Plaw - "post breakdown" please- this is the real thing, not one person but the entire board, get to work fella!...we'll talk about your mid-life crisis some other time, I promise!

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/18/06 02:55 AM

Fame,

Maybe you're right. I always thought FS was one of the younger members. Then again, everyone is a younger member to me. :p
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/18/06 03:09 AM

Quote:
Why we may still be here in fifty years to see Vercetti, DMC, DJ and FS as old men.
Sorry TIS, but I plan on dieing at age 60 at the hands of a 22 year old jealous husband

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/18/06 03:37 AM

People please, Dr.Fame's clinic is only open at weekends. However, due to the latest responses in this thread, Im willing to open it tomorrow as well. Heres the schedule:

9:00 AM - Plaw (nervous breakdowns)

10:00 AM- TIS (fear of old age)

11:00 AM- DMC (sexual insecurity)

12:00 PM-

Any other members who seek help, hurry up and book your appointments.

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/18/06 05:55 AM

I'll take the 12PM appointment...

But must say, Fame...

I'm gonna live forever
I'm gonna learn how to fly
High

I feel it coming together
People will see me and cry
Fame

I'm gonna make it to heaven
Light up the sky like a flame
Fame

I'm gonna live forever
Baby remember my name

Remember
Remember...

:p
Posted By: ginaitaliangirl

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/18/06 07:47 AM

Sorry I'm late! I didn't miss the party, did I?

I've often thought about what the BB will be like in ten years, twenty years, and so on.

It seems crazy to think that I'll still be visiting this place when I'm at college, when I start out in my career, when I get an apartment/home, when I get married, when I have kids...yet it seems even crazier to think that I would ever leave.

This is the first and last place I visit, everyday. We all joke about it, but it truly is an addiction. When the site has gone down or been slow for repairs, or when my own computer isn't working, I go through GBB withdrawal - I feel it necessary to make compulsive checks of the board, just to see who's on and what they're posting.

This is the only place I've ever found on the Internet where people actually care. On several occasions, when bad weather was a threat to my city or if I hadn't been posting recently, members checked in with me to make sure everything was okay. This is just one example of the many forms of kindness I've experienced or witnessed here, and I don't think this kindness comes near as easily on other sites.

The GBB is a community. Or, since it's for GF fans, I should say that it's a "family." Without the bloodshed.

As we've gone through tragedy and triumph, and just the normal ups and downs of life, we've all found knowledge, advice, support, friendship, humor, comfort, company, and love.

Geoff, all I can do is give you a genuine "thank-you" for making all of this happen, for providing us with this family, for bringing us all together. Maybe you're just being modest when you joke around about all of this, but it truly is a wonderful thing.

I hope that we can all stay together for many more years.

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/18/06 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
I'll take the 12PM appointment...

Updated!

12:00 PM- JG (retromania issues)

13:00 PM -

14:00 PM -

15:00 PM -

I think we'll have the party at the clinic....anyone else who wants to join, come forward with your issues, I'll be working all day.
Posted By: MistaMista Tom Hagen

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/18/06 12:10 PM

Book yourself an appointment for time-telling issues.

If your using the military time, isn't the AM/PM not neccesary, or am I being an idiot?

Or am I just being picky.

Or both?

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/18/06 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MistaMista Tom Hagen:
Book yourself an appointment for time-telling issues.
:D

ok then, updated!

1:00 PM - Mista (pickyness issues)

2:00 PM -

3:00 PM -

are we happy now?
Posted By: MistaMista Tom Hagen

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/18/06 12:22 PM

Yes, yes, we're happy.

Sir, you've brought a smile to my face.

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/18/06 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MistaMista Tom Hagen:

Sir, you've brought a smile to my face.
Amazing! thats exactly what Susie told me last night!

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/18/06 04:11 PM

Quote:
I don't even know what that means, so I better attend I guess! :p

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/18/06 04:25 PM

Geoff,

I made you some brownies to celebrate the occasion. They were very tasty too!!!

TIS

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/18/06 04:26 PM

Quote:
Geoff,

TIS
And just what kind of "brownies" were these?

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/18/06 04:39 PM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
[b] Geoff,

TIS
And just what kind of "brownies" were these? [/b][/quote]Ha ha ha!!! No Bethie, thoses days are long gone. I did try making those "special" brownies though once. Tasted like sh*t!! Not even to mention how the smell of them baking made it rather "obvious" what I was making. Thank God my parents didn't stop by.

TIS

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/18/06 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
[quote]Originally posted by Fame:
[b]12:00 PM- JG (retromania issues)
I don't even know what that means, so I better attend I guess! :p [/b][/quote]You stupidhead! (another word you wont understand....I just learned it from "Worst.Movies.Ever" thread, and to be honest, I'm also waiting for DV's clarification on the matter )

Anyway, you sang "Fame" remember? can u get more retro than that? retro-mania. Together : retromania. Final combo :
Retromania Issues. Are we clear now? see ya later in the sport section, Im working on a serious boxing thread...

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/18/06 04:43 PM

Quote:
[[/qb]
Ha ha ha!!! No Bethie, thoses days are long gone. I did try making those "special" brownies though once. Tasted like sh*t!! Not even to mention how the smell of them baking made it rather "obvious" what I was making. Thank God my parents didn't stop by.

TIS [/QB][/QUOTE]
Oh, I was gonna ask you to bake some for Philly.

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/18/06 04:58 PM

Quote:
Anyway, you sang "Fame" remember? can u get more retro than that?
Oh, I get it now... I guess I am a stupidhead!
Or maybe I had too many of TIS's special brownies...

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/18/06 05:05 PM

Quote:

Oh, I was gonna ask you to bake some for Philly. [/QB]
Yea, and when they do a bag search at the airport, will you bail me out??? I may be forced to eat them all before I board. I'd be flying high in more ways then one.

TIS

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/18/06 05:07 PM

Yeah, you'll be part of the mile high club all right.

As far as getting them on the plain, the bomb sniffing dog will get a contact high and will be "chilled" and let you on your merry way.

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/18/06 08:37 PM

Pat will bring the stuff and all you got to do Beth is get a microwave brownie mix and make it in your hotel room.

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/19/06 06:17 PM

JG - check the SF section (the war against the machines has started )

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 03:25 AM

GangsterBB is 8 years old today! Happy birthday! cool

SC started this thread 3 years ago, and I thought a little revival is in order!

If you have any stories from the last 3 years on this forum that you wish to share with everyone, now is the perfect opportunity!

Some time ago, I tried to get everyone back, all the old timers, and while many have "moved on" with their lives, at least I think we got bogey back in here, which is more than awesome.

In any case, there is still a solid group of members here, who I'm sure will never leave. So here's to all of you guys, and to JG, SC and the moderators: thank you for all the wonderful moments and here's to many more!

I'm working on a little gift. More I cannot say.

Fame

(oh and the clinic will be open all day as usual. Book your appointments)

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 04:00 AM

Fame,

I need a appointment for anger issues. Cuz I'm pissd as hell cuz there was no BB weekend last Summer and it looks like there won't be one this year.

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 04:42 AM

I see Fame is always on top of things! I was gonna post at exactly midnight but had to take care of something else first. Thanks, Fame wink

And damn... We were all so much younger then! whistle wink

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 05:24 AM

The years seem to go by faster and faster. I can't believe that it's been EIGHT years since these new boards have opened but I remember it like yesterday.

I was a spry 50 years old then; I was out of work at the time and spending a lot of time online on the old boards.... Don Cardi and I were discussing a possible joint business venture and he had just turned me on to "The Sopranos". Beth's sister had just told a funny story about how "You've Got Mail" (the Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan movie) had turned her on to "The Godfather". Some anonymous poster (you didn't have to log on to post then) was hounding Deathkiss (who was holding her own against him). Turi was posting mainly in the "Scarface" section but even then he was cracking everyone up. Geoff had announced a few days earlier that he'd be changing the board's format.

It was a hot Friday night, about midnight, when Geoff finally posted that he'd start opening the new board for registration. The rest, as they say, is history.

This has been a great venue for making friends, having serious discussions, having laughs and passing the time with some wonderful people.

Thank you Geoff for opening and maintaining these boards!
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 05:48 AM

Happy birthday GBB! To see old posts in this thread, specially that of Paul was very nostalgic. Thanks to all that make this place so wonderful.
Posted By: BAM_233

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 06:11 AM

man...you guys are old lol j/k

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 06:22 AM

Yeah Afs, that's why I didnt want to start a new thread. I wanted to revive this one because I find it symbolic to make the connection between the past, present, and future, especially in such a nostalgic thread, which is set to take us all back in time. I think we should keep this thread as the "official BB birthday thread" for as long as this forum lives. (forever that is wink

JG - I know the forum went through many changes and a lot was deleted, but I wanted to see some screenshots back from the early days SC was just talking about. So I tried the Wayback machine, but it will only go back as far as August 2004 (I used the current address gangsterbb.net) :

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://gangsterbb.net

Then I tried it with www.thegodfathertrilogy.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

...but I got no results.

What was the forum address back in the very first days?

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 06:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Fame
What was the forum address back in the very first days?

You'll have to give me enough time for that to come back to me. It was a 3rd-party server. In fact, it was something like server.com or something similar. Not my domain.
Posted By: Don Zadjali

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 07:04 AM

I joined GBB approximately 1,503 days ago!
I found GBB by accident and I thank Google for finding GBB, the greatest search engine around it makes your life easier 'ok ignore that part, i was paid by google to advertise around' anyway, here's how I found the GBB. I was 15 year old kid back then with raging hormones and if my memory doesn't betray me I think I was looking for Talia Shire nude pictures.... blush

I'm not much of poster, more like a silent reader. tongue
I'm really surprised how and when did I reach over 850 posts, I wonder if I did spam. confused

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GBB! and peace be upon you all GBBers and God bless. =)

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 07:11 AM

DAMN!

I don't even remember this page (click on "Message Board" on the left), but this was it...

http://web.archive.org/web/19990219143943/www.jgeoff.com/godfather.html

And it was disc.server.com -- But too bad the actual topics weren't saved. But those are the topics from 1999 -- 10 years ago!

(At the same time, while we keep thinking 8 years ago was a long time -- at this point, it really wasn't. I had just moved into this (effing) apartment just a few months earlier (and soon thereafter getting laid (off ohwell )) found myself online quite a bit more. That job at Marvel still seems like it was yesterday. These forums seem like a lifetime ago -- maybe because of the lifelong friendships that have been made here.

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 08:19 AM

Ha, there's more!

I think I just found your post announcing the move to the new forum, and the actual posts work there as well, not just the titles: (again click on "message boards" to the left) :

http://web.archive.org/web/20010803032042/www.jgeoff.com/godfather.html

And here's one that has Don Cardi, SC, and death kiss, just like SC described earlier:

http://web.archive.org/web/20010204073900/www.jgeoff.com/godfather.html

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 08:27 AM

Ha, there's more!

clap clap

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 08:56 AM

Clap yourself JG, you created this wonderful piece on cyberspace.

And to keep it up with the nostalgia talk, can you share the story of creating this website/forum, I know for one I'd love to hear it. How did it all start? did you wake up one day and decided to build a godfather/scarface website? what came first? and did you think it would be such a success? could you believe it 8 years ago that one day you'll be on Gibbs' radio show?

One last question...just how bloody long it took you to make the transcripts of the first 2 movies? I can only imagine using the pause/play button billions of times just to write everything...if you really did it that way grin it must've took you days, maybe even weeks to get it all done, right? grin

Oh and before you call me sonofabitch for keeping you up again - go to sleep now, answer the questions tomorrow grin

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 09:06 AM

Oh and before you call me sonofabitch for keeping you up again - go to sleep now, answer the questions tomorrow grin

It will definitely not be tonight... I'm way tired, and in my delirium just paid almost $10 to iTunes for an album I already own on CD. lol
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 01:18 PM

Happy Birthday to the best boards with the best people on the internet.
Posted By: Santino Brasi

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 01:54 PM

This IS indeed THE best forum on all of the Internet, Happy Birthday GBB
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 02:04 PM

What can I say, except to reiterate what I wrote on the previous page?? I think of my friends here often throughout my days, a story that would make them smile, or a connection to their job or the part of the world where they live. After seeing a mug with Trish Stratus' picture on and saying out loud to my daugther, "Wow!! DMC would LOVE this!", only to have her look at me in puzzlement and say, "Who is DMC?", I've learned to keep those thoughts to myself, though.

Happy Birthday, BB!! And a giant kiss to Geoff, the best and sexiest Cabana Boy in the world!
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 02:17 PM

Happy Birthday to these boards and all who sail in them cool

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 02:44 PM

Having never had (nor at that time ever have been able to afford) a computer, I lucked out. I co-worker gave me her old computer.

It was April 6, 2002 and being so new to the computer world, I just was playing around. I decided to do a search on my favorite move, The Godfather. I found this site, signed up immediately and here I am, 7 years later. Random memories:

1. I really did feel welcome immediately. I remember being pleasantly surprised by how friendly everyone was.

2. If I recall, the first July I was here, I thought it'd be nice to schedule an "Anniversry Chat" in the chatroom. I PM'd Geoff to make sure it was ok. lol Silly me...NOW I know it wasn't necessary as he was very cool with it.

3. I really do wish I was here during the 911 thread. Not only because I would have gotten a first hand account, but I would have loved to be able to be there, even in a small way for the people who were to become my "best" on-line friends.

4.You mention DeathKiss. I remember her, and Mob and gosh so many others.

5. I have a book of photos of our BB meets and no matter what, they will always be a special to me. smile

6. It sure didn't take long to figure out that Turnbull really knew his stuff. wink

7. PLaw's death was a wake-up to me of just how much you can care about people you hardly know or even have never seen.

Yes, my best wishes to all. Oh and to all my friends here....You are all the best!

TIS
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 04:44 PM

Happy Birthday BB.. smile

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I found this site, signed up immediately and here I am, 7 years later. Random memories:

A different screen name when you first signed up.

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: SC
I found this site, signed up immediately and here I am, 7 years later. Random memories:

A different screen name when you first signed up.

Oh yes, you're correct. I started out as "AnnT " (so original) rolleyes Then I saw all the wonderful clever names that everyone was using, and I wanted one too. Being a Rocky (Sly) fan, I decided on TIS. I asked Geoff if I could change it and he kindly did so. smile

TIS

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 05:49 PM

It was actually Annt, no? wink

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff

It was actually Annt, no? wink

See what happens when you get old? Yes, I actually thought I typed "AnnT", but my mind was working faster than my fingers I guess (I'm happy it's working at all) lol I corrected it.

And btw Geoff, a big thanks to you. You were made to manage a board like this. I don't know how you do it, but you seem to manage to always try to be fair, patient and very very seldom lose your temper (actually, I don't think you've ever got totally pissed off, at least for all to see) lol

Which leads to a good question. Is there any one thing that someone did that totally pissed you off. I guess we'd have to probably go with past members hu? Or just say yes or no without elaborating.

TIS

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 06:06 PM

Is there any one thing that someone did that totally pissed you off. I guess we'd have to probably go with past members hu?

I never really got that pissed off -- annoyed, sure. wink And yes, a couple past members would fall into that category. The banning feature comes into play between "annoyed" and "pissed off". For example: One past member was banned multiple times and just kept coming back, so I blocked the entire country of (then) Yugoslavia! lol

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 06:12 PM

i heard yugoslavia banned anything that looks like waldo lol

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 06:16 PM

See what power our Don has. He can block an entire country!! Now that's power. Don't be messin' with him. lol

TIS

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 07:43 PM

As much as I love the BB there was a time a few years ago a couple members mad me so mad I made it known that I was leaving the BB. But thank God Geoff and a couple other members ask me not to leave.

If it wasn't for Geoff, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to:
1. go to NJ
2. witness in person the frozen cheesecake event
3. meet in person the most wonderful people on earth
4. get the crap scared out of me
5. visit the Corleone house
6. eat at Harold's Deli
7. go to Philly
8. take my first cab ride
9. have the crap scared out of me in my last cab ride
10. visit an open air Italian market and watching Don Geoff pick up an orange
11. eat at Laveranda
12. see the Moshulu
13. eat at Pat's
14. meet a Scarface impersonator(Frankie)
15. visit NJ a second time
16. run around New Brunswick in the pouring rain looking for Clydz
17. eat purple mash potatoe's at Panico's
18. finally finding Clydz and having a great time
19. having you guys meet some of my family
20. meeting Ralphie
5. I have a book of photos of our BB meets and no matter what, they will always be a special to me. :)TIS

Tis, I also have a photo album of the BB weekends. I also have displayed in my family room 3 (8x10) frames of group pic's of us BBer's who came to the BB weekends. Maybe one of these days we can compare pic's. And I agree they mean alot to me.

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 08:02 PM

I started out as "AnnT " (so original) rolleyes

Actually, you started out as "annt" (no capital letter). I thought you were a bug.
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 08:12 PM

Actually, you started out as "annt" (no capital letter). I thought you were a bug.

Nah...merely a character from GF3! lol

But seriously, folks...

I never - in a million years - thought the BB would become a part of my life. I've had some enlightening discussions, met some really fine folks (some online, some in person), and experienced some the ups and downs of life with a bunch of unique, special people.

Geoff, I have you to thank (or blame) for that - and the rest of the BB to thank for enriching my life just a little. clap

Enough syrupy sentiment - now let's get back to insulting each other! wink

And BTW Mig - Ralphie send his regards.

Signor V.

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 08:33 PM

See what power our Don has. He can block an entire country!! Now that's power. Don't be messin' with him. lol

TIS

why should i worry about somebody wearing red and white...i mean really that is something goofy would wear.

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 08:41 PM

Not a bug, I just like "to" bug! tongue (you're right non-caps.....picky, picky, picky) lol

TIS

To Mig: Don't be too upset for a lack of a meet. It's hard during this economy for a lot of people to get together. However, if you're interested, I plan on hitting Vegas soon. Meet ya down there if you want. wink They have a San Genaro festival in September, I'm thinking then, but not really sure yet when I'm going. I'm no Geoff, SC or TB or any of the Eastern clan, but hey we can still make fun of them as though they were there. lol

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: BAM_233

TIS

why should i worry about somebody wearing red and white...i mean really that is something goofy would wear.

Ha ha, that's true. For a Don, he doesn't look very professional does he? It's kind of hard feeling intimidated by Waldo. lol
Then again, the guy singlehandedly blocked out the entire country of Yugoslavia. wink
TIS

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 10:24 PM

To Mig: Don't be too upset for a lack of a meet.

That's what memories are for. Thanks for the invite to Vegas. One of these day's I'll meet you there.

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/13/09 11:43 PM

TIS

Ha ha, that's true. For a Don, he doesn't look very professional does he? It's kind of hard feeling intimidated by Waldo. lol
Then again, the guy singlehandedly blocked out the entire country of Yugoslavia. wink
TIS

lol ill be impressed if he can block out a powerful contry
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/14/09 12:04 AM

Happy Anniversary, Gangster BB!!!

The few outings I've attended with fellow members were nothing but fun from start to finish!

Whether I let a few months, or a few days, or even a few HOURS go by without logging on...I know this Board can always be counted on for interesting topics, spirited debate, and when needed, comforting words to & from caring people.

Thanks to JGEOFF for one of the BEST discussion boards on the web!!

AppleOnYa

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/14/09 12:08 AM

lol ill be impressed if he can block out a powerful contry

I have to start small and work my way up. Maybe I'll try a state first. How about Michigan? wink

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/14/09 12:19 AM

Don't be messin' with Michigan, you Jersey Boy you. lol
Mess with one of the states that eats roadkill or something. tongue

TIS

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/14/09 12:25 AM

TIS

new jersey?

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/14/09 12:30 AM

TIS

new jersey?
Oh yea, New Jersey as opposed to a sport's jersey. I don't think in sports terms. wink

TIS
Posted By: klydon1

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/14/09 02:08 AM

Cheers to Geoff, the founder of the feast, and to all who make this the best board in cyberspace, and fortunately for me, the first and only one I visited.

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/14/09 06:29 AM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff

It will definitely not be tonight... I'm way tired, and in my delirium just paid almost $10 to iTunes for an album I already own on CD. lol

No rush, feel free to answer whenever you got the time smile

And iTunes is probably better. I doubt CD players will exist 15 years from now.

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/14/09 07:01 AM

can you share the story of creating this website/forum, I know for one I'd love to hear it. How did it all start? did you wake up one day and decided to build a godfather/scarface website? what came first? and did you think it would be such a success? could you believe it 8 years ago that one day you'll be on Gibbs' radio show?

Well. As I said on the radio program, when I got online in '95 I searched out The Godfather and Scarface -- the Net was so young that there was nothing yet. So having been recently laid off, I figured why don't I start something.

Back then it was not as accessible as it has been the past 10 years even. It really was like the Wild West. I learned basic HTML, yet didn't (well, don't) have much of a design sense, but content is king, right? wink I then became obsessed with it. 3 months after starting I went to a party (Nov 18, 1995 -- the same night I saw Al Martino) for my (dial-up) ISP (which replaced AOL) and they said I was pumping out a whopping 4GB/month of bandwidth. I was floored, cuz GBs then were like TBs now. Quite a bit. lol

Do I need to relay the radio explanation? Briefly, I bumped into Scarface in college, and it immediate became my favorite film, and Al my favorite actor. I watched it dozens of times - probably more often than I went to class lol. As a new Pacino fan, I needed to then see everything else, and then of course The Godfather came up.

I had no idea, then, that it'd be a success. Nor did I realize that it'd NOT be a success 10 years later. Fucking Google. I went from #1 in search results for Godfather and Scarface, until I got the domains TheGodfatherTrilogy.com and Scarface1983.com -- which focked me over. Not sure of Google's rules, but I was better off with jgeoff.com/godfather and jgeoff.com/scarface apparently. You wouldn't think so, but it's been on my list to contact them to figure out WTF.

Anyway...

Being on the radio was fun as hell, but also scary every time. I'm not much of a "talker" (haha, I'm a typer, not a talker! wink ) I did his show, what, 3-4 times? Unfortunately I don't think he has that show any longer, but, someday I'd love to do it again -- he's great!

One last question...just how bloody long it took you to make the transcripts of the first 2 movies? I can only imagine using the pause/play button billions of times just to write everything...if you really did it that way grin it must've took you days, maybe even weeks to get it all done, right? grin

Oy. The transcripts. Hell, I KNOW they are off, and for a dozen YEARS I've been getting emails with corrections. I'm a lazy and forgetful SOB, k? whistle

I, personally, did the first one. It's pretty close. The 2nd and 3rd were done by volunteers WAY BACK (I believed they're credited) and I've always been meaning to correct them. Then the DVD came out, and I was torn -- should I do it the old way, or, simply copy the closed-captioning? Well, I decided not to use the closed-captioning, but to be even MORE accurate. I just haven't gotten around to it (yet?). You have to admit it's quite an undertaking! whistle

I can ramble on and on... sorry. wink

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/14/09 07:39 AM

AWESOME post, thanx a lot, and sorry I didnt remember the answers from the radio show.

Wild West Internet...gotta love it.

Thanx again, Cowboy wink

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/14/09 07:51 AM

Thanx again, Cowboy wink

Well, I'm no Kid Rock or anything.... lol

Hmm, maybe more Bon Jovi, tho... grin

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/14/09 08:21 AM

I was thinking more about the Naked Cowboy, but if you like Bon Jovi, here be the lyrics of his famous song (I changed it for you) :

"It's all the same, only the usernames will change.
Everyday it seems we're wasting away.
Another forum where the members are not cold,
I'd post all night just to stay at home.

I'm a cowboy, on a bandwidth horse I ride,
I'm wanted dead or alive"

grin
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/16/09 01:40 AM

I joined in April 2002. I was looking for Godfather quotes on the internet and ended up here. How fortuitous.
Posted By: Luca Brasi

Re: The Boards' Birthday - 07/20/09 11:28 AM

A belated happy birthday to the GGB!!

Met some great people on this board and made a lot of friends. grin
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET