3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves

Posted By: Double-J

3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 02:09 AM

http://www.forbes.com/technology/feeds/ap/2006/06/10/ap2807218.html

Quote:
Associated Press
U.S.: 3 Gitmo Inmates Hanged Themselves
By ANDREW SELSKY and JENNIFER LOVEN , 06.10.2006, 07:28 PM

Three Guantanamo Bay detainees hanged themselves with nooses made of sheets and clothes, the commander of the detention center said Saturday. They were the first reported deaths among the hundreds of men held at the base for years without charge.

The suicides, which military officials said were coordinated, triggered further condemnation of the isolated detention center, which holds some 460 men on suspicion of links to al-Qaida and the Taliban. There has been growing international pressure on the U.S. to close the prison.

Two men from Saudi Arabia and one from Yemen were found dead shortly after midnight Saturday in separate cells, said the Miami-based U.S. Southern Command, which has jurisdiction over the prison. Attempts were made to revive them, but they failed.

"They hung themselves with fabricated nooses made out of clothes and bed sheets," Navy Rear Adm. Harry Harris told reporters in a conference call from the U.S. base in southeastern Cuba.

Gen. John Craddock, commander of the U.S. Southern Command, said in the conference call that the three had left suicide notes, but refused to disclose the contents.

One of the detainees was a mid- or high-level al-Qaida operative, Harris said, while another had been captured in Afghanistan and participated in a riot at a prison there. The third belonged to a splinter group. Their names were not released.

He said all three had engaged in a hunger strike to protest their indefinite incarceration and had been force-fed before quitting the protest action. Military commanders said two were participating in the hunger strike as recently as last month, and described one of them as a long-term hunger striker who had begun the protest late last year and ended it in May.

Bush, who was spending the weekend at Camp David, expressed "serious concern" about the incident, White House press secretary Tony Snow said.

His immediate concerns were making sure that an investigation was being conducted and that the bodies were "treated humanely and with cultural sensitivity," Snow said.

Meanwhile, the State Department was consulting with the governments of the home countries of the three prisoners.

Amnesty International said the apparent suicides "are the tragic results of years of arbitrary and indefinite detention" and said the prison was a blight on the Bush administration.

"Today's reported suicides of detainees in Guantanamo should serve as a wake up call to President Bush and his administration that Guantanamo is not just a public relations problem, but instead an indictment on its deteriorating human rights record."

Barbara Olshansky of the Center for Constitutional Rights said in a telephone interview from New York that those held at Guantanamo "have this incredible level of despair that they will never get justice. And now they're gone. And they died without ever having seen a court."

Olshansky's group represents about 300 Guantanamo detainees. She appealed to the Bush administration "for immediate action to do the right thing. They should be taken to court or released. I don't think this country wants the stain of injustice on it for many years to come."

Pentagon officials said the three men were in Camp 1, the highest maximum security prison at Guantanamo, and that none of them had tried to commit suicide before.

That camp was also the location where two detainees tried to commit suicide in mid-May, when a riot broke out at the facility. The two men, who took overdoses of an anti-anxiety medication they hoarded, were found and received medical treatment and were recovering.

The military said in a statement that "all lifesaving measures had been exhausted" in the attempt to revive the detainees. The remains were being treated "with the utmost respect," an issue important to Muslims. A cultural adviser was assisting the military.

The statement defended the prison, saying detainees pose a danger to the United States and its allies.

"They have expressed a commitment to kill Americans and our friends if released," it said. "These are not common criminals. They are enemy combatants being detained because they have waged war against our nation and they continue to pose a threat."

Though the military termed the deaths suicides, the Naval Criminal Investigative Service was investigating to establish the official cause of death.

Guantanamo Bay has become a sore subject between Bush and U.S. allies who otherwise are staunch supporters of his policies.

A U.N. panel said May 19 that holding detainees indefinitely at Guantanamo violated the world's ban on torture and the United States should close the detention center.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen and British Prime Minister Tony Blair are among those who also recently have urged the United States to close the prison.

On Friday, after the prison came up during a meeting with Fogh Rasmussen at Camp David, Bush said his goal is to do just that.

"We would like to end the Guantanamo - we'd like it to be empty," Bush said. But he added: "There are some that, if put out on the streets, would create grave harm to American citizens and other citizens of the world. And, therefore, I believe they ought to be tried in courts here in the United States."

Bush said his administration was waiting for the Supreme Court to rule on whether he overstepped his authority in ordering the detainees to be tried by U.S. military tribunals.

In a sign of the administration's concern over the diplomatic fallout from the suicides, there was an extraordinary round of global outreach by officials from the White House National Security Council, the State Department and Bush's congressional liasons.

Among those contacted within hours by the Bush administration were the United Nations, the European Union, most European nations individually, the embassies of Mideast and near-Mideast countries, the International Committee of the Red Cross, Snow said.

Josh Colangelo-Bryan of the Center for Constitutional Rights discovered one of his clients attempting to hang himself last year when he visited Guantanamo, and said he feared there would be more suicides.

Colangelo-Bryan said one detainee recently told him: "I would simply rather die than live here forever without rights."

Moazzam Begg, 37, a British Muslim who spent three years in U.S. detention, including two years at Guantanamo before being released in 2005, told The Associated Press: "We all expected something like this but were not prepared. It's just awful. I hope the Bush administration will finally see this is wrong."

A total of 759 detainees have been held in Guantanamo, with about 300 released or transferred.

There have been increasing displays of defiance from the prisoners, with many claiming their innocence.

Until now, Guantanamo officials have said there have been 41 suicide attempts by 25 detainees and no deaths since the U.S. began taking prisoners to the base in January 2002. Defense lawyers contend the number of suicide attempts is higher.

On May 18, in one of the prison's most violent incidents, a detainee staged a suicide attempt to lure guards into a cellblock where they were attacked by prisoners armed with makeshift weapons, the military said. Earlier that day, two detainees overdosed on antidepressants they collected from other detainees and hoarded in their cells. The men have since recovered.

There also has been a hunger strike among detainees since August. The number of inmates refusing food dropped to 18 by last weekend from a high of 131. The military has at times used aggressive force-feeding methods, including a restraint chair.

Associated Press reporters Paisley Dodds in London and Jennifer Loven and Lolita C. Baldor in Washington contributed to this report.
What a shame!

(tear )

I love what Olshansky says about justice - "have this incredible level of despair that they will never get justice. And now they're gone. And they died without ever having seen a court. They should be taken to court or released. I don't think this country wants the stain of injustice on it for many years to come."

Hmm...I think justice for them would be to routinely beat them with baseball bats behind the prison, but that would just be my personal opinion.

Actually, the most abhorrent action of all, in my humble opinion, is that Americans are actually defending these enemies of the state, these people who would prefer nothing more than to slit our throats and kill more Americans.

To re-use a quote from another thread (and a great movie):

"Criminals thrive on the indulgence
of society's understanding."
- Henry Ducard

Thoughts?

BTW - I'd also like to take this opportunity to recommend we donate mass quantities of nooses to Guantanamo, and help "empty" that prison...
Posted By: Mignon

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 02:15 AM

Good Riddance to these scumbags.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 02:24 AM

Now just a minute, you two...how do you suppose you would feel if you were the parents of these poor dear despair-ridden scumbags who will 'never see court'?

Barbara Olshansky and Amnesty International are fools. I hope Ann Coulter writes her next book about them.

AppleOnYa
(President of the Ann Coulter Fan Club)
Posted By: Guineapig

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 02:28 AM

Hanging is actually one of the best, and easiest ways to suicide. A very practical and time-honored tradition. After the object supporting one's body weight is removed, the sudden jolt breaks the neck, knocking one out...and while unconcious, suffocating soon after. Brief pain.

More people should try it.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
Now just a minute, you two...how do you suppose you would feel if you were the parents of these poor dear despair-ridden scumbags who will 'never see court'?
Oh, you mean the same type of parents who accept compensation when their sons and daughters "bravely" become martys and blow themselves up along with a busload of schoolchildren?

Though the man and his mother in this photograph have been superimposed on a tropical background, he was sent to his 72 virgins by Israeli security forces in 2002.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Guineapig:
...After the object supporting one's body weight is removed, the sudden jolt breaks the neck, knocking one out...and while unconcious, suffocating soon after. Brief pain. ...
Interesting, then...that hanging was discontinued in many states as a form of execution and replaced by electric chair, gas chamber and lethal injection.

I suppose it's only easy and practical in the form of suicide.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 02:46 AM

Probably because in some circumstances those who were hanged were either not killed instantly, or we so heavy that it would be "cruel and unusual" punishment...
Posted By: svsg

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Double-J:

BTW - I'd also like to take this opportunity to recommend we donate mass quantities of nooses to Guantanamo, and help "empty" that prison...
There are a few documented cases like this where innocent people have been arrested and taken to Guantanamo Bay for whatever reason. From an American perspective, it could be seen as "better be safe than sorry" approach but you know it is at the cost of somebody. So spare a few nooses for the real criminals, the ones that have had trials in court and proven to be murderers and rapists.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 02:56 AM

Hey! Look at it this way. Now there are 3 less scumbag terrorists in the world! 3 less terrorists for the human race to have to worry about!

I'm with you JJ. I say we start a collection of nooses to donate to anyone there who is an AL Qaeda operative/official.

Anyway, how do we know their wives weren't planning to divorce these harpies? Now that their Al Qaeda shelf life was dwindling, in a maximum security prison , they're better off hurrying up to appear before their 72 virgins.

They are really the ones who were part of a terrorist organization that forced us to create the 9/11 commission, which put out a scathing report criticizing the Clinton and Bush administrations for not taking their threats more seriously - and found New York's emergency response system wasn't prepared for a serious attack. It was all part of their plan.

Having people burn alive in a building brought them much joy. Watching it unfold on national TV and seeing it repeated endlessly was a pleasure for them. Teaching their children that America was the great Satan was a way of life for them. And they had no plans to let up.

These terrorists and their cohorts made headlines in the past when they planned to and called for the blowing up of The New York City subways systems, advocated forcing Christians to become Muslims and wrote an entire book that said every American is an infidel and that every American conservative is guilty of treason.

Like an insecure child, it's always been clear that Al Qaeda and these terrorists are prepared to do anything to get attention. So now they've decided to kill themselves. This is a good thing.

Don Cardi

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 02:57 AM

Okay. Forget the noose.

Give me a .22 and plenty of ammunition.

As Stalin liked to paraphrase regarding his Gulags:

"Kill them all, and let God sort them out."
Posted By: Guineapig

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 02:57 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Guineapig:
[b] ...After the object supporting one's body weight is removed, the sudden jolt breaks the neck, knocking one out...and while unconcious, suffocating soon after. Brief pain. ...
Interesting, then...that hanging was discontinued in many states as a form of execution and replaced by electric chair, gas chamber and lethal injection.

I suppose it's only easy and practical in the form of suicide. [/b][/quote]You're probably forgetting the trend of 'humanization' due to Christian pressure. The other alternatives are more clinical.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by svsg:
[QUOTE]... From an American perspective, it could be seen as "better be safe than sorry" approach but you know it is at the cost of somebody....
Well, 9/11 was at the cost of quite a few 'somebodies' who were also apparently in the wrong place at the wrong time...like at their jobs or travelling.

So from an 'American perspective'...have to admit I'm kind've partial to the 'better safe than sorry' approach.

Apple

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 03:04 AM

Quote:
I've just returned from the Guantanamo Bay (Cuba) Naval Air Station base where we did three shows for the troops and toured several locations around the post visiting with some of the finest military personnel on planet earth.

The kids seemed to really enjoy the shows and especially liked "This Ain't No Rag, It's A Flag" and "In America." We had a great time with them.

We saw Camp X-Ray - where the Taliban detainees are being held - only from a distance, but I picked up a lot of what's going on there from talking with many different people.

The truth of the matter is that this operation is under a microscope. The Red Cross has an on-site presence and watches everything that goes on very closely.

The media is not telling you the whole truth about what's going on over there. The truth is that these scum bags are not only being treated humanely, but they are probably better off health-wise and medically than they've ever been in their lives. They are fed well, able to take showers and receive state-of-the-art medical care. And have their own Moslem chaplain.

I saw several of them where they were being treated in a state-of-the-art medical facility.

Now let's talk about the way they treat our people. First of all, they have to be watched constantly. These people are committed and wanton murderers who are willing to die just to kill someone else. One of the doctors told me that when they had Talibans in the hospital the staff had to really be careful with needles, pens and anything else which could be used as a weapon. They also throw their excrement and urine on the troops who are guarding them. And our guys and gals have shown great restraint in not retaliating.

We are spending over a million dollars a day maintaining and guarding these nasty killers and anyone who wants to see them brought to the U.S.A. for trial is either out of their heads or a lawyer looking for money and notoriety. Or both.

I wish the media and the Red Cross and all the rest of the people who are so worried about these criminals would realize that this is not a troop of errant Boy Scouts. These are killers of the worst kind. They don't need protection from us, we need protection from them.

If you don't get anything else out of this soapbox, please try to realize that when you see news coverage much of the time you're not getting the whole story, but an account filtered through a liberal mindset with an agenda.

We have two fights on our hands, the war against terror and the one against the loud-mouthed lawyers and left-wing media who would sap the strength from the American public by making us believe that we're losing the war or doing something wrong in fighting it. Remember these are the same people who told us that Saddam Hussein's Republican guard was going to be an all but invincible enemy and that our smart bombs and other weapons were not really as good as the military said that they were.

They also took up for Bill Clinton while he was cavorting around the Oval office with Monica Lewinsky while the terrorists were gaining strength and bombing our Embassies and dragging the bodies of dead American heroes around the dusty streets of Somalia.

It's a shame that we can't have an unbiased media who would just report the truth and let us make up our own minds. Here I must commend Fox News for presenting both sides much better than the other networks.

They are leaving the other cable networks in the dust. People want to be told the truth. Our military not only needs but deserves our support. Let's give it to them.

The next time you read a media account about the bad treatment of the Taliban in Cuba, remember what I told you. Been there, done that.

Footnote: I got an e-mail from a rather irate first cousin of mine the other day who has a daughter who's a lawyer, and she seemed to think that I was painting all lawyers with the same brush. Please understand that I'm not doing that at all. That would be like saying that all musicians were drug addicts. There are a lot of good and honest attorneys out there. I happen to have one of them. But it seems that they never get any airtime. It's always the radicals who get their opinions heard, who fight the idea of the military tribunals and cite The Constitution and the integrity of America as the source for justifying their opinions.

Well, first of all The Constitution says, "We the people of the United States," it doesn't mention any other country. And, secondly, as far as integrity is concerned, I don't think some of these folks would know integrity if it bit them in the posterior.
- Charlie Daniels, March 2002

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Guineapig:
[QUOTE]...You're probably forgetting the trend of 'humanization' due to Christian pressure. The other alternatives are more clinical.
Actually, I'm not forgetting that at all...and I think one of the problems with the death penalty is that it's gotten TOO clinical and the ritual involved is quite chilling (in more ways than one).

I think the best and quickest and 'least painful' form of execution would either be hanging or shooting someone right between the eyes.

After about 22 years worth of appeals, of course...

Apple

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 03:07 AM

Quote:
So spare a few nooses for the real criminals
One of the detainees was a mid- or high-level al-Qaida operative, while another had been captured in Afghanistan and participated in a riot at a prison there. The third belonged to a splinter group.

Spare the nooses for the real criminals? And what do you consider these guys, humanitarians? Freedom Fighters? :rolleyes:

They should do to Gitmo what they did to Zarqawi's stronghold this past week. BOOOOOM!!!
The most effective and safest way to rid the world of these roaches, once and for all.

Fuck em.

Don Cardi

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
BOOOOOM!!!
The most effective and safest way to rid the world of these roaches, once and for all.

And Harry warned them, too. We don't have to give them the benefit of that.

Besides, it would be the easiest way to level out all the land so we can start putting in Wal-Marts. :p

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 03:21 AM

JJ -

I was reffering to places like Gitmo where known terrorists are being held along with places that are used by terrorists as strongholds.

I was not reffering or implying that we should blow up the entire middle east. Doing something on that scale would take out too many innocent lives.

Don Cardi

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 03:22 AM

Quote:
I was reffering to places like Gitmo where known terrorists are being held along with places that are used by terrorists as strongholds.
So am I.

We just escort all of our personnel out of the facility and off the island. We can certainly manufacture a bomb that would have a limited fallout radius while ensuring the destruction of the facility itself, preventing widespread contamination.

Besides, what is Fidel gonna do? Fall down and trip again?

Or, better yet, since they refuse to eat, we could just comply. :p
Posted By: svsg

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 03:26 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by svsg:
[b] So spare a few nooses for the real criminals
One of the detainees was a mid- or high-level al-Qaida operative, while another had been captured in Afghanistan and participated in a riot at a prison there. The third belonged to a splinter group.

Spare the nooses for the real criminals? And what do you consider these guys, humanitarians? Freedom Fighters? :rolleyes:

They should do to Gitmo what they did to Zarqawi's stronghold this past week. BOOOOOM!!!

Fuck em.

Don Cardi [/b][/quote]Don Cardi,
I replied only to one of the sentences which I have clearly put in quotes. The point was to say that Guantanomo need not be entirely emptied or wiped out becasue some of the Guantanamo detainees are infact not terrorists (please read the link I provided). I did not mention anything about the 3 guys who committed suicide.
You see, if in all good intentions, had DJ supplied a few hundred nooses couple of months ago and ensured that everyone was wiped out of Guantanamo prison, those chinese guys would not have survived. Good luck for them, they escaped before DJ could buy all those nooses
Seriously, I do agree that there would be many hardcore terrorists out there, but I do see a possibility of some innocents being trapped there with very little access to legal help or money. But as Apple agreed with me, for a greater American good, some mistaken steps could be taken I suppose? Afterall 3000 innocent people died for a similarly bad reason.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 03:30 AM

Ok, just wanted to clear that up.

Unfortunately there are 'factions' out there who continuosly insist that those being held in Gitmo are 'innocent' and deserve a fair trial! :rolleyes:

You know the kind of advocates that I am talking about, right?

The same ones who screamed and yelled when this guy:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/story/424712p-358304c.html

was suspected of being a part of Islamic Jihad several months back.

Same with the guy from the Tampa Florida school. They screamed and shouted that this teacher from that Tampa school was being railroaded by our government. And what happened? It turned out that he was a fanatical terrorist supporter. But you never heard a word form those people, who quickly ran to his defense at the very begining, ever again.

Don Cardi

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 03:34 AM

Quote:
I do see a possibility of some innocents being trapped there with very little access to legal help or money. But as Apple agreed with me, for a greater American good, some mistaken steps could be taken I suppose?
Hah! We've got some of America's finest legal minds working diligently to protect and serve these terrorists daily! Just look at the article from the first post...there are plenty of people here willing, pro bono, to help these terrorists (and, imho, betray their country, but that's another debate).

Quote:
Afterall 3000 innocent people died for a similarly bad reason.
3000+ American's killed on 9/11 in the name of Islamic fundamentalism.

I happen to think the vast majority of those in Guantanamo are guilty, and ALL of them are there for a reason. Seeing those who would happily kill us be executed, or hang themselves, is not a tragedy, its something to be lauded...despite our tendancy to shoot ourselves in the foot, there is still enough common sense in America that we at least have these "people" behind bars.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 03:38 AM

Quote:
...Unfortunately there are 'factions' out there who continuosly insist that those being held in Gitmo are 'innocent' and deserve a fair trial! :rolleyes: ...

Now let's be accurate...not 'innocent' but presumed innocent until found guilty in a court of law and are deserving of a fair trial.

Because you do think they deserve a fair trial... DON'T YOU ....?

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 03:41 AM

Quote:
Because you do think they deserve a fair trial...don't you....?
Sure.

Get me a sledge-hammer, a singapore cane, and five of his buddies. Tie them each to posts. We take turns "accosting" them until one of them talks. Then we find out whether they are guilty or not, and, of course, already have the mechanisms in place for execution.

[/rage]

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 04:42 AM

Quote:

Because you do think they deserve a fair trial... DON'T YOU ....?
Yeah, sure I think that they deserve a fair trial.

I think that we've had this debate several times in the past, that IMO these prisoners are NOT deserving of an American styled court of law trial. If anything, the best that they should get is a Military trial held in a Military tribunal somewhere in international waters. And even that's questionable because they do NOT represent any Flag, any government, or any tpe of governmental military established to defend or protect a country and it's people. So the Geneva Convention accords shouldn't even apply to these animals.

They are enemy combatants who have committed treason against this country or have taken part in plots or attempts to attack American soil or interests in one form or another. They are NOT citizens of this country and therefore they are not deserving of a trial under the Laws of the United States Of America.

These people are extremist fantatic vagabonds who's only goal in life is to attack and destroy ANYONE who does not succumb to their fanatacal extremist beliefs.

Don Cardi

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 12:46 PM

Way to go, Don Cardi

Now...how to break this news to Barbara Olshansky and her ilk.

Apple

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 03:39 PM

Yes, another "harpie" who tried to make a quick buck off writing a book.

Actually she should have been arrested for treason herself as she obviously wrote her book in the months following the attack on our country and tried to undermine our Leader's attempts to protect our people and do what was neccessary at the time to capture and detain any terrorists who were planning to carry out any further attacks.

I'd like her to tell us just how many American Citizens have been arrested since the President signed that Military order and have been denied a trial in a court of law.

Don Cardi
Posted By: Scarface.1

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 03:59 PM

Wow, the amount of racism in here is untrue and rather pathetic.
Posted By: SC

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarface.1:
Huh???

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 06:05 PM

"72 virgins" etc

I found it funny how someone could use a Stalin quote to condem these torrorists, it basically sinks down to their level saying stuff like that.
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 06:34 PM

Quote:
"72 virgins" etc
Boo fucking hoo.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 07:29 PM

This has been a great week. 4 terroists scum are going to meet their maker. bye bye
Posted By: Henry Hill

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 08:07 PM

Facism -- Alive and well in the United States of America and already in a neighbourhood near you.
Posted By: plawrence

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 10:42 PM

Why the automatic presumption of guilt here, and what's the problem with these detainees getting a fair trial?

The views in this thread of some of the members here don't surprise me - (the one-time schoolyard bully?.....Another who was the one the schoolyard bullies picked on and is now getting even by becoming part of the herd?) - but I'm really surprised that there are those whose views I respect (altho I may not agree with) also applauding the deaths of individuals who have been imprisoned without a trial or hearing.

Do you people really want the government to have the power to arrest and imprison anyone they wish to for any reason, without a trial?

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 11:23 PM

What took you so long Plaw to voice your opinions on this Plaw?

Quote:
They have expressed a commitment to kill Americans and our friends if released,"
= GUILTY IMHO

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/11/06 11:44 PM

What took me so long?

I was enjoying reading some of the posts as they becaame, I think, sillier and sillier.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mignon:
"They have expressed a commitment to kill Americans and our friends if released"
I might feel the same way if I was incarcerated for a few years without being charged, without a trial, without a lawyer to protect my rights, and without being able to communicate with those in the outside world.

So anyway, Mig, if someone is guilty in your opinion they're not entitled to a trial?

You're perfectly entitled to think they're guilty.

AAMOF, despite my dwindling confidence in our government's desire and ability to tell us the truth, I still have enough confidence to believe that most, if not almost all, of these detainees are guilty.

But that doesn't change the fact that I think they should all have their day in court and be proven guilty.

Especially if one of our goals is to set an example for the rest of the world that a democracy, in which everyone's rights are protected, is the best form of government that there is.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 12:00 AM

Yea Plaw give these al-Qaida scum a fair trial. I just hope they find 'em all guilty.

Quote:
AAMOF, despite my dwindling confidence in our government's desire and ability to tell us the truth, I still have enough confidence to believe that most, if not almost all, of these detainees are guilty
It is so nice to know that you feel that way.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 01:12 AM

Quote:
Yea Plaw give these al-Qaida scum a fair trial. I just hope they find 'em all guilty.
All?

I understand that you believe them all to be guilty for no other reason than our government says that they are guilty, but would you want someone who is innocent to be found guilty?

I would hope that there is enough evidence to find guilty those who actually are guilty, and that those who are not guilty are set free.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 02:00 AM

Quote:
but would you want someone who is innocent to be found guilty?
No I am not that cold hearted Plaw.

Quote:
I would hope that there is enough evidence to find guilty those who actually are guilty, and that those who are not guilty are set free.
Agreed.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
But that doesn't change the fact that I think they should all have their day in court and be proven guilty.

The only day in court that they deserve is to face a firing squad!

Don Cardi

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 02:34 AM

Quote:
Right. Because we are advocating indiscriminate violence against Muslims, and I didn't specifically blame Islamic fundamentalism for 9/11.

What is pathetic is someone shouting 'racist' and then running away.

But keep going.

Quote:
"72 virgins" etc
Right. Because Islamic terrorists don't promote these heaven-bound rewards to their jihadists in hopes of inspiring them to martyrdom.

In all fairness, you're probably right, the 72 virgins thing is untrue.

I recently heard the translation may be incorrect, and it may mean 72 raisins.

Sorry for the confusion (I martyred myself and all I got was this lousy box of Sunmaid raisins). Though you have to admit, the girl on the box is rather attractive, in an American imperialistic slave sort of way.

Quote:
I found it funny how someone could use a Stalin quote to condem these torrorists, it basically sinks down to their level saying stuff like that.
I'm not sure what a torrorist is, but I find more hilarity in the fact that "condem"-ing (that's right - when you meet the 72 virgins, 'wrap-it-up,' lest you catch a disease from Allah’s rewards) of these torrirists is met with such anger.

I mean, you've admitted they are "torrists," but I thought the thread was "racist" and "untrue?"
Quote:
Originally posted by Henry Hill:
Facism -- Alive and well in the United States of America and already in a neighbourhood near you.
Ooh! The buzzword of the week is "facism." Now, if you can actually define that word, I'd be impressed. However, I suspect you've just thrown it in there because it sounded good, and it also conveniently makes you seem so much more intelligent since, after all, you've summed up the entire thread without refuting anything! Cheers!

Here's another one - ineptitude -- Alive and well across the world and clearly originating from a keyboard near you!
Quote:
Why the automatic presumption of guilt here, and what's the problem with these detainees getting a fair trial?
You're right, Plaw. What we need to do is be entirely fair with these people, and treat them with the religious and judicial freedoms they so truly deserve.

So, according to Shari'a law, what would their fate be? Stoning, or beheading? Because, last time I checked, there wasn't a whole lot of legal wiggle room for anything like deliberation, presumed innocence, or a jury of ones peers.

That would be fair, after all?

Quote:
The views in this thread of some of the members here don't surprise me - (the one-time schoolyard bully?.....Another who was the one the schoolyard bullies picked on and is now getting even by becoming part of the herd?) - but I'm really surprised that there are those whose views I respect (altho I may not agree with) also applauding the deaths of individuals who have been imprisoned without a trial or hearing.
Well, by all means please, divulge the identities of these members with whom you are in such universal "condem"-nation of! Though, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Now give me your lunch money.

Quote:
Do you people really want the government to have the power to arrest and imprison anyone they wish to for any reason, without a trial?
What a surprise! The slippery slope. The proverbial horse that has been ridden more than Seattle Slew.

Yes, I do think we need a Gulag...err...military prison for these non-POW's, non-US citizens for whom the Constitution nor the Geneva Convention applies.

Should I pull out that 'compassion for criminals' quote again? It never grows old.

But don't worry, Plaw. I don't think good 'ol G.W. is going to be knocking on your door, arresting you and throwing away the key without any fair trial anytime soon.

Quote:
What took me so long?

I was enjoying reading some of the posts as they becaame, I think, sillier and sillier.
Why the wait?

I mean, after all, I don’t think we’ve ever had to wait for very long before realizing your posts grew increasingly sillier as a thread aged. :p

Quote:
I might feel the same way if I was incarcerated for a few years without being charged, without a trial, without a lawyer to protect my rights, and without being able to communicate with those in the outside world.
Ding ding ding! Here is the kicker.

"My rights..."

"Without a trial..."

"Without being charged..."

I must have missed the part of the Constitution that said these enemies of the state were entitled to "rights." Of course, keep in mind that the same people who advocate "rights" for these terrorists (for shame! I didn't use any adjective to imply their obvious innocence...) are likely (though not always, qualifier!) the same people who support illegal immigrants receiving welfare, social security and other social program benefits without being American citizens!

I guess in either case, the Constitution applies to people who aren't American citizens...hmm.

So much for "we the people..."

Quote:
AAMOF, despite my dwindling confidence in our government's desire and ability to tell us the truth, I still have enough confidence to believe that most, if not almost all, of these detainees are guilty.

Especially if one of our goals is to set an example for the rest of the world that a democracy, in which everyone's rights are protected, is the best form of government that there is.
Why waste taxpayer money when, as you've stated, you think "most if not almost all of these detainees are guilty?"

And, should they go to trial, and they manage to find a loophole, or were treated unfairly and get a mistrial, or some other technicality, and they were set free, and then participated in a terrorist attack on America...whoa.

To quote another movie...

Anakin Skywalker: "He must stand trial!"

Mace Windu: "He's too dangerous to be left alive."

Perhaps if these people weren't terrorists (or connected to them), I might agree with you. But to deal with reason and fairness with this people will serve to do little, when they have sworn to kill our children, rape our women, and destroy our way of life, declaring absolute war on America.

And I'm sure we probably will end up seeing some sort of trials for these people, so Plaw, don't get all riled up. I just think that it would most likely serve the security and people of our nation better if we extracted as much information as possible from these animals, and then ordered them to start digging holes.

Quote:
Well, as someone said, the truth shall set you free.

As long as they keep telling us about their buddies in Al Qaeda, they'll be fine.

And then, we'll make sure they meet up with Allah one way or another.

Quote:
The only day in court that they deserve is to face a firing squad!

Don't copy me, wannabe bully. You could never hang with me, and now you've disappointed your friends.

Now give me your lunch money. All of you.
Double-J

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 02:43 AM

Quote:
The typical "we need to understand them" approach that some from the left constantly revert back to.

So if you feel that way then you must also feel that because these terrorists have been incarcerated for so long that they have the right to regularly attack the guards, pelt them with feces, urine, semen, and spit?

Tell me something, who represented Nick Berg at his sentencing trial?

Don Cardi

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 02:51 AM

DJ
You get one side of the building and fire away
DC
You get the other side and fire away

Now both of you give me your lunch money :p

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 02:53 AM

Quote:
Yes, I do think we need a Gulag...err...military prison for these non-POW's, non-US citizens for whom the Constitution nor the Geneva Convention applies.
There are many reasons to hold these dangerous terrorists. One of those reasons is that they provide us with a wealth of important information that we must continue to collect. But to make this happen, they need to be confined in a special facility away from everyone else where they can be controlled effectively and interrogated properly. Gitmo Bay fits these requirements in ways no other facility would. This high security prison is keeping extremely dangerous terrorists from killing more innocent Americans. That's the bottom line in my book. It is not a gulag or torture camp, it is a high security prison housing the scumbags who want to behead our people, blow up our buildings and destroy our way of life.

Don Cardi

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 02:54 AM

Quote:
What took you so long Plaw to voice your opinions on this Plaw?...

Mignon, congrats on the line of the week! But didn't you know...all good things come to those who wait.

Quote:
...but I'm really surprised that there are those whose views I respect (altho I may not agree with) also applauding the deaths of individuals who have been imprisoned without a trial or hearing...
Well, since these particular individuals chose to take their own lives and did so in a planned, calculated manner...we may as well applaud (along with those whose views you respect ) their ingenuity and success.

If only thier fellow inmates would do the same. Alas, now with the bedsheets confiscated for most of the day, they'll have to come up with some other plan.

AppleOnYa
(President, Ann Coulter Fan Club)

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 02:59 AM

GIVE ME YOUR LUNCH MONEY!!!

ALL OF YOU!!!

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 03:07 AM

None of the clever and/or not so-clever quips managed to address the issue of presumption of guilt without a trial.

Actually, Mig's did, and only her comments deserve a measure of respect IMO.

So, once again, another thread degenerates.

Carry on, people.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 03:16 AM

Oh, darn...I was so hoping just this once to be awarded a measure of respect.

Weren't you Double-J??? Don Cardi???

But there you go ... once again, the above-it-all, holier-than-thou attitude we've so grown to know & love.

Clever? Or not so clever? Only a fair trial will reveal the truth.

Apple

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 03:35 AM

Quote:
Oh, darn...I was so hoping just this once to be awarded a measure of respect.

Weren't you Double-J??? Don Cardi???

But there you go ... once again, the above-it-all, holier-than-thou attitude we've so grown to know & love.

Clever? Or not so clever? Only a fair trial will reveal the truth.
Frankly, I'm tired of these neoimpeereealists not giving the torrorists a fair tryal. In fact, I condem Plaw for his silly post!

Give me your lunch money.
Double-J

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 03:36 AM

Quote:
None of the clever and/or not so-clever quips managed to address the issue of presumption of guilt without a trial.

Neither does your post, FYI.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 04:00 AM

Quote:

Carry on, people.
I rest my case.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 04:02 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by plawrence:
[b] None of the clever and/or not so-clever quips managed to address the issue of presumption of guilt without a trial.

Carry on, people.
I rest my case. [/b][/quote]But...you've denied us a fair trial?

Oh, whatever shall we do?

*suicide*

I will haunt you for your lunch money.
Double-J

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 05:15 AM

Quote:

Is that all I get Plaw is just a measure? But thanks for that measure

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 06:52 AM

Quote:
Is that all I get Plaw is just a measure?
Well, it's a full measure

Quote:
I rest my case.
Quote:
But...you've denied us a fair trial?
No, I've only rested my case.

Anytime you're ready to address the issues, feel free.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 12:44 PM

Quote:
[b] I rest my case.
Quote:
But...you've denied us a fair trial?
No, I've only rested my case.

Anytime you're ready to address the issues, feel free. [/b][/quote]Forgive me...was that supposed to fit inbetween the part where we were called bullies, or where the argument was called "silly?"

I really am not sure.

Though for someone who now has "rested" their case twice, shall we await for an unprecedented third response?

Double-J
Bully Pulpit

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 12:46 PM

Quote:

Why, because you don't happen to agree with the way that some of us feel about this issue? If I happen to feel strongly that these people do NOT deserve a trial for the reasons that I posted earlier, that makes this thread degenerate?

Here, I'll state my case for you once again :

Quote:

I think that we've had this debate several times in the past, that IMO these prisoners are NOT deserving of an American styled court of law trial. If anything, the best that they should get is a Military trial held in a Military tribunal somewhere in international waters. And even that's questionable because they do NOT represent any Flag, any government, or any tpe of governmental military established to defend or protect a country and it's people. So the Geneva Convention accords shouldn't even apply to these animals.

They are enemy combatants who have committed treason against this country or have taken part in plots or attempts to attack American soil or interests in one form or another. They are NOT citizens of this country and therefore they are not deserving of a trial under the Laws of the United States Of America.

These people are extremist fantatic vagabonds who's only goal in life is to attack and destroy ANYONE who does not succumb to their fanatacal extremist beliefs.
Quote:
There are many reasons to hold these dangerous terrorists. One of those reasons is that they provide us with a wealth of important information that we must continue to collect. But to make this happen, they need to be confined in a special facility away from everyone else where they can be controlled effectively and interrogated properly. Gitmo Bay fits these requirements in ways no other facility would. This high security prison is keeping extremely dangerous terrorists from killing more innocent Americans. That's the bottom line in my book. It is not a gulag or torture camp, it is a high security prison housing the scumbags who want to behead our people, blow up our buildings and destroy our way of life.
So because this is my view on this matter, and you don't agree with it, then according to you this thread has degenerated once again.

Hey, as our Don has pointed out to us this past week :

Quote:
Talk about "whatever" here - but please keep it respectable! If you don't like certain topics or particular members, please ignore them. If one feels that strongly about a particular thread, then that person shouldn't continue to read such threads...
....so if you don't agree, please don't accuse us of degenerating this thread. Just move on.

Don Cardi

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 12:49 PM

Please, Don Cardi. Spare us your racist, increasingly silly intimidation.

We all know you were a bully as a kid!

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 01:26 PM

Yes, Don Cardi...instead of re-posting your articulate, intelligent thoughts on the matter, why don't you simply 'rest your case'.

That seems to be the latest form of arrogant, self-serving, self-indulgence on the BB.

Apple

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 02:35 PM

Quote:
[b]

Why, because you don't happen to agree with the way that some of us feel about this issue? If I happen to feel strongly that these people do NOT deserve a trial for the reasons that I posted earlier, that makes this thread degenerate?

[/b][/quote]No, it's degenerated because some people are more interested in making the thread a laugh-fest with a bunch of clever quips rather than address the issue of why they presume all of these detainees to be guilty without a trial.

As far as your opinion is concerned, DC, you are still not addressing the question. I understand why you think they don't deserve a trial, but that assumes first that they are guilty.

In fact, if I were completely sure that they were all guilty, I might even agree with you.

But since we don't know whether or not they are guilty without a trial, I don't understand how you can make that assumption without first giving them a trial.

Imprisoning these people without a trial or the airing of the evidene against them does nothing more than make people wonder whether or not there actually is any evidence, and provides even more anti-American political ammunition for our enemies and those who we are trying to convert to democracy.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 02:48 PM

Quote:
So because this is my view on this matter, and you don't agree with it, then according to you this thread has degenerated once again.

Hey, as our Don has pointed out to us this past week :

"Talk about "whatever" here - but please keep it respectable! If you don't like certain topics or particular members, please ignore them. If one feels that strongly about a particular thread, then that person shouldn't continue to read such threads"

....so if you don't agree, please don't accuse us of degenerating this thread. Just move on.
No, this thread had degenerated because rather than address the issues and questions involved here, some choose instead to find humor in it and make jokes about it.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that you and I disagree here, and you know it doesn't.

And I certainly don't intend to "move on" simply because I may disagree with the opinions of others.

You don't like it that I said another thread was degenerating (something which you have said any number of times yourself in other threads)?

You don't agree with my opinions?

Then why don't you move on?

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 02:48 PM

Quote:
But since we don't know whether or not they are guilty without a trial, I don't understand how you can make that assumption without first giving them a trial.
I think its probably more like the situation where a man shoots three people in broad daylight, there are at least two dozen witnesses, and the news story still has to say "alleged" murderer even though its obvious who the perpetrator was.

Quote:
Imprisoning these people without a trial or the airing of the evidene against them does nothing more than make people wonder whether or not there actually is any evidence, and provides even more anti-American political ammunition for our enemies and those who we are trying to convert to democracy.
Which brings into discussion whether its better to be fair, or to be feared.

I think, if I was running the country, in the case of terrorism, I'd prefer the latter.

Quote:
No, it's degenerated because some people are more interested in making the thread a laugh-fest with a bunch of clever quips rather than address the issue of why they presume all of these detainees to be guilty without a trial.
Was that before or after you called us (its obvious you implied myself, though I'll give you the benefit of a generalization before I "condem" you) and our arguments a bunch of silly bullies?

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 02:51 PM

Quote:

Your point is well taken and is not without merit. But at the same time it shows the enemy that all bets are off and that we mean serious business now. We show the enemy that if they choose to plot against us, make attacks on us and our interests, and murder our people, then they run the risk of being killed by our military, or being incarcerated in a maximum security prison.

Tell me something Plaw, in wars of the past, when we captured enemy combatants, did we give them a trial? Or did we hold them in military prisons?

Don Cardi

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 02:54 PM

Quote:
And I certainly don't intend to "move on" simply because I may disagree with the opinions of others.
Umm...

Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence at June 12, 2006 12:00 AM
I rest my case.
So much for resting your case?

Lunch money. Now.
Double-J

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 02:55 PM

Gosh, I wasn't bothering to presume either their guilt nor innocence. That's the job of those who imprisoned them.

I'm just glad they're dead. Three less Al-Queda scumbags to coddle for the Red Cross and Amnesty Int'l.

Apple

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 03:00 PM

Quote:

You don't like it that I said another thread was degenerating (something which you have said any number of times yourself in other threads)?

You don't agree with my opinions?

Then why don't you move on?
Apples and Oranges Plaw. In the past, when I've said that a topic was degenerating, it was because the debates degenrated into name calling and personal attacks were made on others because of opinions, related to the topic, that were posted.

Not the case here. You accused this topic of degenerating because you did not agree with how some of us felt about the situtation at Gitmo and our feelings towards the people that occupy it. No one got personal with anyone or made personal attacks on anyone.

And why should I move on? After all you were the one who posted not once, but twice "I rest my case." :p

Don Cardi

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 03:03 PM

Quote:
Tell me something Plaw, in wars of the past, when we captured enemy combatants, did we give them a trial? Or did we hold them in military prisons?
It's also important to recognize that these people aren't being "punished" per se; rather, they are being detained to prevent them from carrying out or supporting another terrorist attack or terrorist activities against our nation.

In fact, the deeper I look into the issue, it doesn't appear that these detainees would see any significant upgrade even if they were made into POW's - the GC doesn't require POW's have rights to access to lawyers, or the ability to refute their incarceration, or to be released from detention before the end of hostilities.

So, I'm not seeing any reason to give these people fair trials, except obviously for good sportmanship and PR, I suppose.

And as far as the topic of POW's in history goes, compared to the despicable treatment of American soldiers by our enemies (Bataan Death March, Vietnamese/Chinese prison camps), any sort of military imprisonment of terrorists by the United States is like getting a reservation at the Waldorf.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 03:22 PM

Quote:
in wars of the past, when we captured enemy combatants, did we give them a trial? Or did we hold them in military prisons?
If they were captured on the battlefield they were incarcerated until the war was over, and I have no problem with that.

Anyone we've captured as a result of militaryt actions in Afghanistan or Iraq absolutely should be detained.

I mean, what are we expected to do? Capture them and then turn them loose five minutes later so they can start shooting at our guys again?

But it's my understanding, and correct here me if I'm wrong, that we are detaining some (many?) people who were not captured on the battlefield, which pretty much eliminates the presumption of guilt, IMO.

Quote:
It's also important to recognize that these people aren't being "punished" per se; rather, they are being detained to prevent them from carrying out or supporting another terrorist attack or terrorist activities against our nation.

In fact, the deeper I look into the issue, it doesn't appear that these detainees would see any significant upgrade even if they were made into POW's - the GC doesn't require POW's have rights to access to lawyers, or the ability to refute their incarceration, or to be released from detention before the end of hostilities.
very true, except how do we know that all of them are terrorists in the first place without giving them a trial?

Quote:
I'm not seeing any reason to give these people fair trials, except obviously for good sportmanship and PR, I suppose.
How about to be certain that they are terrorists, and to make sure that they are deserving of being detained?

What I don't understand is "What's the problem with giving these guys a trial"?

If they're terrorists, then fine. Lock 'em up and throw away the key. But if they're not.....

Quote:
Apples and Oranges Plaw. In the past, when I've said that a topic was degenerating, it was because the debates degenrated into name calling and personal attacks were made on others because of opinions, related to the topic, that were posted.

Not the case here. You accused this topic of degenerating because you did not agree with how some of us felt about the situtation at Gitmo and our feelings towards the people that occupy it. No one got personal with anyone or made personal attacks on anyone.
OK....lemme see if I have this straight:

If you say that you think a thread is degenerating because of name-calling and personal insults, that's OK - those are valid reasons - but if I think a thread is degenerating because rather than address the issues and questions people choose to ignore them and make light of the situation, that's not OK because those are not valid reasons?

Name calling and personal insults are the things that can cause a thread to degenerate?

Anyway....

I rested my case when I was provided with yet more examples of the type of posts i was talking about.

I rested my case the second time when i was provided with even more examples of the same.

But since we seem to have gotten back on the track here and are discussing the issues, that's a different story.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 03:46 PM

Quote:
If they were captured on the battlefield they were incarcerated until the war was over, and I have no problem with that.
Well has the war ended? No, it has not. Which brings me to....

Quote:
But it's my understanding, and correct here me if I'm wrong, that we are detaining some (many?) people who were not captured on the battlefield, which pretty much eliminates the presumption of guilt, IMO.
And this may be the area that divides how you and I look upon this situation. I am going to assume, and correct me if I am wrong, that your meaning of 'the battlefield' is Iraq and Afghanastan. And if my assumption is correct then I ask you this ; What nation do these people represent, what nation are they fighting for and what flag do they fight under? For me, there is no specific battlefield. The battle field in this type of war is everywhere. When the enemy carrys out attacks on city streets, on finacial institutions, on public transportation and on government buildings, they've created a battlefield wherever they've attempted to or have attacked us. When they do not represent a nation, a governed people, or fight under a flag, the battlefield is where they choose to make it.

Therefore looking at it the way that I do, anyone who is caught plotting against, attacking or committing treason against the USA and her allies, be it on what you percieve as a battlefield in Iraq or Afghanastan, or what I perceive as a battlefield ( city streets, public place, etc.), should be incarcerated in a military prison, like Gitmo, and not be given a trial or representation.

I think, and I say this with all due respect Plaw, that many people, including yourself, have looked upon this war as a conventional war, similar to wars that we have fought in the past.

This war is not a conventional war. It is a different type of war. And IMO until people begin to see it that way and understand that it is a totally different war than those fought by us in the past, their opinons, views and ideas will never change.

Don Cardi

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 04:27 PM

Quote:

Anyone we've captured as a result of militaryt actions in Afghanistan or Iraq absolutely should be detained.

As I understand, the majority of prisoners sent to Gitmo that are related to the War on Terror have been either captured by coalition forces on the "battlefield" (Afghanistan, Iraq, etc.) or have been captured trying to enter the United States (as in the case of Jose Padilla).

Further, there have been detainees who have been released or extradited during the course of the War on Terror. We haven’t simply thrown away the key.

Quote:
How about to be certain that they are terrorists, and to make sure that they are deserving of being detained?

What I don't understand is "What's the problem with giving these guys a trial"?

If they're terrorists, then fine. Lock 'em up and throw away the key. But if they're not.....
And again, there is neither any legal precedent, nor any legal statute (from the Geneva Convention to the US Constitution) that requires us to try these detainees (obvious exceptions such as Padilla, who is a US citizen) or requires we give these people a "trial" at all. They are enemy combatants being detained by our government for the purpose of securing our nation and extracting vital information in the war on terror. They are neither criminals, in the standard sense of the word, nor are they prisoners of war, by definition.

Further, you ask about the problem giving them a fair trial. Okay.

First of all, do you think they could receive a quote unquote, "fair" trial in the United States?

Secondly, say one of these detainees is set free via a loophole and then rejoins Al Qaeda and commits an act of terror against America? Who do we blame then? The system, for letting him out? Or those who demanded he "stand trial" and celebrated his "innocence?"

Quote:
Anyway....

I rested my case when I was provided with yet more examples of the type of posts i was talking about.

I rested my case the second time when i was provided with even more examples of the same.

But since we seem to have gotten back on the track here and are discussing the issues, that's a different story.
Kind of like retiring, and then un-retiring, eh? :p

I know we're all just a bunch of silly bullies, but I hope you can find it in your heart to put up with us!

Double-J

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 04:48 PM

The "battlefield", the way I see it, is just that.

If we capture a guy during a military action, that's one thing.

But if we go to someone's home - wherever that home may be - and arrest them based on the suspicion that they may be a terrorist, that's something else.

Can a suspected terrorist even get a fair trial here?

Possibly not, especially the way people tend to presume them guilty beforehand.

But still, saying that they can't get a "fair" trial is no reason not to give them any trial.

Quote:
Secondly, say one of these detainees is set free via a loophole and then rejoins Al Qaeda and commits an act of terror against America? Who do we blame then? The system, for letting him out? Or those who demanded he "stand trial" and celebrated his "innocence?"
Same problem as when any other seemingly or obviously guilty person is freed via a "loophole".

That's the price we pay for having the best system of jurispridence in the world.

Now...just curious here:

What exactly do you mean by "celebrated his 'innocence'"?

Personally, I hope that every single one of those detainees is guilty, because it's that many more terrorists that are off the streets and no longer posing a danger to this country.

But what is there to "celebrate" if there were trials and a few "not guilty" verdicts?

I'd be happy that they system is working, and I'd behoping that the verdicts were correct.

And if they eren't, as I say, that's the price we sometimes have to pay for having the system that we do

But I wasn't out celebrating when, for example, O.J Simpson was found not guilty (although there were those who, for what they felt wer good reasons, were celebrating), or John Gotti was, any of the several times he wasn't convicted.

And finally, BTW, I never said that everyone was a "bunch of silly bullies."

What I did say was that there was someone who I felt was like a schoolyard bully, and that in general the posts that some of the people made in this thread were silly, not the posters themselves.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 05:05 PM

Quote:

So you only consider the battlefields, in this war on terror, to be in Afghanastan and Iraq?

Don Cardi

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 05:09 PM

Quote:

If we capture a guy during a military action, that's one thing.

But if we go to someone's home - wherever that home may be - and arrest them based on the suspicion that they may be a terrorist, that's something else.
So basically, we have to wait until he's shooting our soldiers for him to be a terrorist, by that definition.

You make it sound like they are storming peoples houses and kidnapping them like its some sort of Kristallnacht, like we're rounding up random people and locking them away.

Clearly, for every terrorist we get, there are names and further information our government uses to determine enemies of the state. Just because they aren't firing at our soldiers doesn't mean they aren't aiding or participating in Al Qaeda activities - be it money laundering/wiring, subverting the networks of government agencies via computer, or other noncombatant but still subversive activities.

I have to agree with Don Cardi. The War on Terror brings the enemy onto our soil, intentionally permeating and assimilating our culture with the prupose of striking from within. The traditional battlefield, as in the days of Patton or Bradley, is no longer a relevant term, at least in this case.

Quote:
But still, saying that they can't get a "fair" trial is no reason not to give them any trial.
But again, your statement is preconditioned on the idea that they have the right to a trial, which they don't.

Quote:
Same problem as when any other seemingly or obviously guilty person is freed via a "loophole".

That's the price we pay for having the best system of jurispridence in the world.
That's a price, thanks to Gitmo, we won't have to pay. Though, judging by their efforts, people like Barbara Olshansky would love to see these animals free and practicing their malevolence.

Quote:
What exactly do you mean by "celebrated his 'innocence'"?

Personally, I hope that every single one of those detainees is guilty, because it's that many more terrorists that are off the streets and no longer posing a danger to this country.

But what is there to "celebrate" if there were trials and a few "not guilty" verdicts?

I'd be happy that they system is working, and I'd behoping that the verdicts were correct.

And if they eren't, as I say, that's the price we sometimes have to pay for having the system that we do

But I wasn't out celebrating when, for example, O.J Simpson was found not guilty (although there were those who, for what they felt wer good reasons, were celebrating), or John Gotti was, any of the several times he wasn't convicted.
You know as well as I do the millions of dollars being spent in an attempt to get these people freed, or at least brought to trial by American lawyers and agencies such as the ACLU and people like Olshansky.

Much like blacks in Los Angeles danced in the streets when OJ's verdict was read, or when Palestinians danced in the streets on 9/11, I have no doubt people like Cindy Sheehan or Ms. Olshansky would consider the enfranchisement and eventual freedom of these terrorists to be a celebrated achievement, yet another black on on the fascist US government.

Unfortunately, should that be allowed to happen, the consequences would be grave indeed for all American citizens.

Quote:
And finally, BTW, I never said that everyone was a "bunch of silly bullies."

What I did say was that there was someone who I felt was like a schoolyard bully, and that in general the posts that some of the people made in this thread were silly, not the posters themselves.
How...diplomatic.

I didn't realize it was possible speak out of two totally separate orifices at the same time.

Double-J
Posted By: Don Smitty

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 05:20 PM

Quote:

If we go into someones home who lives and belongs in the usa because that person was suspected of or caught being involved with terrorists then I agree that they should be aressted under the laws of the land and given a trial. But if the person is here ilegally and does not belong here and is suspected or caught being involved with terrorists then they dont deserve a trial. They should be treated like an enemy of the country and brought to a place like Gitmo and be given a bed sheet.

ds
Posted By: Don Smitty

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 05:34 PM

Quote:

If a terorist is not captured on the battlefield then they shouldnt be held at Gitmo?

ds

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 05:47 PM

Quote:
[QUOTE]...I didn't realize it was possible speak out of two totally separate orifices at the same time....
Depends upon the speaker.

Apple

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 06:00 PM

Apple and JJ. We're having a good debate here right now. Is there really such a need to start with that stuff?

Don Cardi

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 06:12 PM

Well gosh, DC...the topic has already 'degenerated' so what is there to be lost?

But fine...you guys go ahead in circles with your 'good' debate.

Apple

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 06:12 PM

It's now been claimed that these people killed themselves just to bring the cause to the attention of the media. Now, as if the situation of Guantanamo Bay has to be brought to anyones attention, it would seem your government are now trying to make it look like they were drove to suicide because of the poor conditions.

I feel the American government have gone the wrong way about bringing terrorists to justice, instead of locking them away for years with no voice other than the terrorists who want to attack innocent civilians, they should trial them and if they are a terrorist i'm sure they'll be enough evidence of it for them to be locked away anyway.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 07:56 PM

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 08:12 PM

Quote:
...you guys go ahead in circles with your 'good' debate.

Apple
Well actually Apple, that's usually what happens in a debate. People going back and forth or around and around in circles until :

a compromise or solution is reached,

or

one party can convince the other that their way or belief is the correct one,

or

until all involved realize that there is no solution and agree to respectfully disagree.

Don Cardi
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 08:13 PM

Quote:
I didn't realize it was possible speak out of two totally separate orifices at the same time.

Double-J
Double J you have been proving what you didnt realize for some time. You too Apple.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 08:17 PM

Quote:
It's now been claimed that these people killed themselves just to bring the cause to the attention of the media.
No doubt that is the intention. Certainly their goal has been to influence the international community to garner sympathy for these terrorists.

Of course, they don't have to bother, we have plenty of Americans lining up to try and set these people free. I don't know what else you could possibly want than citizens of a country trying to set free the very people who want to destroy it. If I was an Al Qaeda operative, I'd be laughing my ass off.

Quote:
I feel the American government have gone the wrong way about bringing terrorists to justice, instead of locking them away for years with no voice other than the terrorists who want to attack innocent civilians, they should trial them and if they are a terrorist i'm sure they'll be enough evidence of it for them to be locked away anyway.
Like I said, trials would be a good PR move, and probably could be orchestrated with the justice department for publicity reasons.

But I think they are just fine where they are. Keeping them indefinitely not only establishes the idea that we're going to lock these motherfuckers up tight, but also that we aren't going to be intimidated by the international community who want these people to go free. They will remain on the island of Cuba, under US control, where we know they cannot do any further harm and where we can extract information from them whenever possible.

Quote:
Originally posted by dontomasso:
Double J you have been proving what you didnt realize for some time. You too Apple.
Dontomasso! What a pleasant surprise!

How unusual for you to just come into an argument, make a quick jab at two members, and contribute nothing meaningful.

Bravo.

Double-J

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 08:23 PM

Quote:
[QUOTE]... until all involved realize that there is no solution and agree to respectfully disagree...
KEY word here is 'respectfully'.

Apple

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 08:37 PM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[b] [QUOTE]... until all involved realize that there is no solution and agree to respectfully disagree...
KEY word here is 'respectfully'.

Apple [/b][/quote]Bully! :p

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 11:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How unusual for you to just come into an argument, make a quick jab at two members, and contribute nothing meaningful.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but....

If Dontomasso's comment is meaningless, doesn't that mean that the comment he is commenting on is meaningless as well?

If the original comment was not meaningless, then you can't very well say that his comment was, can you?

Not offering an opinion here on the meaningfulness of either comment, mind you.....Just asking.

But the way I see it, they either both are or they both aren't.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/12/06 11:55 PM

:rolleyes:

It's all meaningless, plawrence.

All meaningless.

Anyway, in honor and rememberance of the original point of topic...

BUH BYE, G'TMO DETAINEES.. ..ENJOY YOUR 72 VIRGINS !!

End of thread.

Apple

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/13/06 01:18 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Double-J:
[b] I didn't realize it was possible speak out of two totally separate orifices at the same time.
Quote:
Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but....

If Dontomasso's comment is meaningless, doesn't that mean that the comment he is commenting on is meaningless as well?

If the original comment was not meaningless, then you can't very well say that his comment was, can you?

Not offering an opinion here on the meaningfulness of either comment, mind you.....Just asking.

But the way I see it, they either both are or they both aren't. [/b][/quote]Most of all, it means that the statement I was originally commenting on was equally meaningless (if that is mathematically possible...).

Lest we get caught up in doublespeak, or, perhaps (gasp) not actually talk about thread topic?

And, according to the Ebonics Translator , all I have left to say is:

Now give me yo' lunch money. What 'chew trippin foo'?
Double-J

P.S. Gitmo detainees we love you enjoy your 72 raisins!!!

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/13/06 03:53 AM

Quote:
BUH BYE, G'TMO DETAINEES.. ..ENJOY YOUR 72 VIRGINS !!
Apple
Maybe they will run out of virgins by the time they get there.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/13/06 03:18 PM

Double J please go and get a life. Living in your mom's basement past age 40 is not really cool at all, and your incredibly ass backward mentality toward people who are "different" from us is the reason the US is as hated as it is in the world. I am ashamed of you and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/13/06 04:06 PM

Ah, typical.

But I'll still have your lunch money.

And you'll still be wrong.

Best,
Double-J
Posted By: SC

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/13/06 06:15 PM

One should not exaggerate about another's age. :p

Seriously, though, please make your arguments without resorting to any childish statements or name calling. Those who lower themselves should be ashamed of themselves.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/13/06 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
One should not exaggerate about another's age. :p

Seriously, though, please make your arguments without resorting to any childish statements or name calling. Those who lower themselves should be ashamed of themselves.
Good point SC. I meant 36.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/13/06 07:04 PM

I have a question....

If someone is being detained at Guantanamo that wasn't captured during actual combat, how do we know that he's guilty of anything?

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/13/06 07:22 PM

That's easy...because the U.S. Government SAYS SO!!!

:p

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/13/06 07:32 PM

Quote:
That's easy...because the U.S. Government SAYS SO!!!

:p
Skeptic.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/14/06 12:43 PM

Quote:
I have a question....

If someone is being detained at Guantanamo that wasn't captured during actual combat, how do we know that he's guilty of anything?
When you say "we," are you implying we the people/citizens/Americans, or "we" as in the U.S. government?

If so, I think there is a difference.

Double-J

P.S.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/14/06 01:05 PM

Great sign, Double-J ... !!!

Apple

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/14/06 01:15 PM

Well, I know I'm a bully and a racist, and randomly have aged 20+ years and have also changed residences to my Mother's basement, but I have a bunch of them. Keep it, Aps.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/14/06 01:47 PM

Thanks, and by the way....give me your lunch money too!

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/14/06 01:53 PM

I don't have any lunch money. But since I'm over forty, have no job, live in my mother's basement and don't pay my taxes (I'm using a bit of creative license), I can give you one of the numerous checks I receive in the mail from the government every day by taking advantage of the various social welfare programs supported by bleeding hearts that allow people like me to exist!

*gives Apple my welfare check*

Take it, you bully!

Posted By: Lavinia from Italy

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/14/06 01:53 PM

"Hated by many. Loved by few. Feared by all."

You got a XXL ego.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/14/06 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
"Hated by many. Loved by few. Feared by all."

You got a XXL ego.
You should have seen my old signature. :p

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/14/06 01:58 PM

Quote:
When you say "we," are you implying we the people/citizens/Americans, or "we" as in the U.S. government?

If so, I think there is a difference.

Double-J

P.S. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Well, as usual, JJ you are off the mark. Go back to the Constitution of the United States (you know, that troublesome document that allows for free speech, due process, privacy, all the things you wingholes despise) and note that the first three words are "WE THE PEOPLE." Read on and it says the people create the government. So there should be no difference between the people and the government.

Of course you fans of that tin horn wannabe dictator George Bush don't get that.

By the way don't ever PM me again ....ever.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/14/06 02:07 PM

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/14/06 02:15 PM

Thats so clever JJ. Why dont you do us a favor and leave these boards?

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/14/06 02:20 PM

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/14/06 06:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If you want to make the distinction, fine, although it's a narrow one at best, I think.

When I wrote it, I guess I was thinking "How do 'we the people'" know for sure, but if you wish to separate the two, go right ahead.

How do we the people know for sure, and how does the government know for sure?

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/14/06 06:13 PM

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/14/06 06:14 PM

Quote:

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/14/06 06:48 PM

Quote:
[quote]
[b]
[/b][/quote]

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/14/06 08:19 PM

Quote:
[b] If someone is being detained at Guantanamo that wasn't captured during actual combat, how do we know that he's guilty of anything?
Quote:
If you want to make the distinction, fine, although it's a narrow one at best, I think.

When I wrote it, I guess I was thinking "How do 'we the people'" know for sure, but if you wish to separate the two, go right ahead.

How do we the people know for sure, and how does the government know for sure? [/b][/quote]When you refer to the people themselves, the citizens of the United States, we really don't know who is guilty or innocent, since we weren't witnesses to a crime in question. Then again, in any case, who *really* knows? I mean, as you have stated numerous times, there are people on death row who are innocent but have been wrongfully convicted. The only way we would every truly know is if we were intimate with the people in question. After all, even if there was a trial, who is to say that we, the public, would ever get the *true* story? Especially in a case involving terrorism; like I said beforehand, I doubt that any terrorist would ever get a fair trial here (which, as I'm sure you could ascertain, I really am not particularly concerned about). I suppose the best explanation is that we, the people, will probably never know who is truly innocent or guilty. We will have to either accept what is revealed to us by the government, or what is decided in a trial (the jurors most specifically), or both. So, to answer your first question, we don't *know* for sure whether they are guilty or not.

As far as the government is concerned, they *know* through either secret/clandestine evidence that won't ever be revealed to the general public (for security reasons, etc.), through capturing these people red handed (i.e. on the traditional battlefield, while they are on a computer, etc.), or arbitrarily detaining these people. Obviously, the government's interpretation of "guilty" would be much more broad in the instance of national security than many ordinary citizens (I would think), especially given the terrorist label of the people being detained. For the second part of that question, the best explanation would be that the government knows either through cloak-and-dagger evidence collection (that could expose national secrets and thus cannot be revealed to the public), the government knows because it caught them on the battlefield or with traditional evidence (which may or may not ever be revealed to the public in the future), or the government doesn't know, and simply suspects someone, and has detained them in the interest of national security (most likely will never be revealed to the public).

Regards,
Double-J

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/15/06 12:35 AM

There's a lot of truth in what you say, however....

While obviously "we" can never be absolutely certain about the guilt or innocence of an individual even after holding a trial, I would certainly say that it's better to have a trial rather than not.

Someone has to take the responsibility for determining guilt or innocence, and I'm a lot more comfortable with the idea of a group of 12 unacquainted individuals making that determination than I am with doing it any other way.

As far as the government goes, while I would agree that some things should be kept from the general public in the interests of national security, there should always be at least ample and non-partisan Congressional oversight over this kind of thing.

I don't think it would be unfair to say that our government's intelligence arm has made enough mistakes in the past to indicate that making these determinations should not be left solely up to them.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/15/06 03:03 AM

Quote:
There's a lot of truth in what you say
I think that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me, Plaw. I might need to get that framed.

Quote:
While obviously "we" can never be absolutely certain about the guilt or innocence of an individual even after holding a trial, I would certainly say that it's better to have a trial rather than not.
I suppose, if for nothing else than PR and to establish some sort of "superior" mindset that we are better than them. But, in the end, if they are terrorists, and they didn't receive a trial, it won't make me cry. If they are wrongly accused, I happen to have a bit of faith (largely because of those already released from Guantanamo) that they will not be held indefinitely. I do think thought that all the hubbub that has been brewing over Guantanamo is misdirected, since it costs far too much to house and guard these guys if they aren't feeding us information.

Quote:
Someone has to take the responsibility for determining guilt or innocence, and I'm a lot more comfortable with the idea of a group of 12 unacquainted individuals making that determination than I am with doing it any other way.
And apparently there are plenty (not a majority, but many) of Americans who feel the same way you do, going so far as to spend millions and sending some our best attorneys to try and free these people.

But unless they are American citizens, they are not granted a trial under the Constitution or the Geneva Convention.

Quote:
As far as the government goes, while I would agree that some things should be kept from the general public in the interests of national security, there should always be at least ample and non-partisan Congressional oversight over this kind of thing.
But what would the oversight do? Determine whether these people are potential threats, and are justified as detainees? Their mere presence in Guantanamo (as opposed to some other detention facility) already means they are of the utmost importance to the anti-terror efforts. If anything, a congressional committee would serve to do little more than show disunion to our enemies.

As I've said before, if I were Al Qaeda, I'd be laughing my ass off watching American citizens sending money and lawyers down to Guantanamo to try and free these people. It's like watching a country rot from the inside out, as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
I don't think it would be unfair to say that our government's intelligence arm has made enough mistakes in the past to indicate that making these determinations should not be left solely up to them.
While that may be true, it should also be noted that many of the successes are never aired, only the dirty laundry of our intelligence and counter-intelligence agencies. When operations go off without a hitch, little is ever known about it. Only the mistakes end up being big news.

With that said, as I've discussed with some of my University colleagues as well as members of the BB (Mikey Sullivan most notably), I do think that our intelligence services are in bad need of an overhaul, but also need to be reaffirmed and allowed to do their job, in the wake of the human intelligence cuts of the Clinton years. Am I blaming Clinton for the mistakes? No, not entirely, the intelligence problems likely can be traced back to earlier times, possibly Reagan, certainly Carter. But there is no doubt that the agencies are now too corrupt, or, possibly, too outstretched and galvanized to be able to properly function. Communication between agencies must be restored and fruitful.
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/15/06 03:06 AM

Lame.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/15/06 03:09 AM

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/15/06 03:19 AM

I'm sure your other half will really relate to my non-dialogue visual opinion to your entire existence:

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/15/06 03:27 AM

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/15/06 08:06 AM

First of all, I don't say that these detainees should be
freed, and I'm not sure how many other people there are excpet for the members of the extreme left who would argue that position.

As I've stated, I still have enough confidence in the government that if they arrest and detain someone because they feel that the person is a terrorist, that's fine.

But I think that the person is entitled to a trial within a reasonable amount of time.

As far as what their rights are, with respect to them being American citiznes or having the rules of the Geneva Convention apply to them:

If they were arrested on American soil, they are entitled to the same rights as anyone else who is arrested on American soil.

If a French tourist in the United States is accused of a crime and arrested, he isn't denied the same rights that an American citizen would have simply because he isn't an American citizen, is he?

Or an illegal immigrant from Mexico, say?

As far as the others go....

This is a unique situation, this business of our enemy not being the member of the army of a specific enemy country (altho I would argue that those captured who were originally members of the Iraqi army and the Taliban are entitled to have the Geneva Convention applied to them), and a unique solution for the problem of what to do with those we capture on the battlefield is called for if you're going to say that the Geneva Convention does not apply to them.

The unique solution that we've come up with, however - detaining them indefinitely without counsel or a trial - is not, IMO, a practical one.

Same thing for those we capture in a foreign country that we accuse of terrorism who we do not capture on the battlefield.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/15/06 11:39 AM

Quote:
detaining them indefinitely without counsel or a trial - is not, IMO, a practical one.
Are you saying that you agree with The President? :

Prez pledges trials for Gitmo suspects

BY JAMES GORDON MEEK
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

WASHINGTON - President Bush said yesterday for the first time that terror suspects at Guantanamo Bay who are not shipped home will get their day in court.
"Eventually, these people will have trials and they will have counsel and they will be represented in a court of law," Bush said at the White House.

"I say 'these people' - those who are not sent back to their mother countries," Bush added.

Earlier this month, the President said Gitmo detainees "ought to be tried in courts here," and that his administration eagerly awaited a Supreme Court ruling about prosecuting them before military tribunals.

But experts were stunned that Bush promised that all 450 held at Camp Delta - including many Al Qaeda and Taliban suspects jailed without charges for four years - will get a chance to defend themselves in court.

Officials have long said that only about two dozen, or 75 at most, would ever face justice from military judges. So far, no prisoner has been fully tried.

"It certainly would be a switch if, after all the time that has elapsed, they wound up trying a large proportion of the detainees," said Eugene Fidell, president of the National Institute of Military Justice.

Also yesterday, Afghanistan announced that all 75 Afghans at Gitmo will soon be returned home or released.

Originally published on June 15, 2006

Don Cardi

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/15/06 12:22 PM

Quote:
Are you saying that you agree with The President?
Yes, I would agree.

That shouldn't surprise you, and no "eek" ( ) is necessary - I'm no Bush-hater that automatically disagrees with everything he says or does.

I'd like to know how long "eventually" is, of course, but it sounds like we're on the right track here.

BTW, I like how it says in the article about this reversal in policy that "experts were stunned..."

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/15/06 04:12 PM

Quote:
But I think that the person is entitled to a trial within a reasonable amount of time.

As far as what their rights are, with respect to them being American citiznes or having the rules of the Geneva Convention apply to them:

If they were arrested on American soil, they are entitled to the same rights as anyone else who is arrested on American soil.
But it doesn't appear that many of these people have been captured on American soil, and are they being held in the United States. Unless I'm mistaken, as I've said before, most of these people have been apprehended either by coalition forces in Iraq and Afghanistan or by allied counterterrorist organizations across the globe.

If they are Americans (as I mentioned in the case of Jose Padilla), they are entitled to a trial. Otherwise, they are, legally, not.

Quote:
If a French tourist in the United States is accused of a crime and arrested, he isn't denied the same rights that an American citizen would have simply because he isn't an American citizen, is he?

Or an illegal immigrant from Mexico, say?
Again, you're assuming a.) that they've been captured on American soil and/or b.) that I don't think they have the right to a trial if they were caught on US soil or are American citizens, which is exactly the opposite of what I've said before:

Quote:
Originally posted by Double-J, Jun 12 2006, 12:27 PM:
And again, there is neither any legal precedent, nor any legal statute (from the Geneva Convention to the US Constitution) that requires us to try these detainees (obvious exceptions such as Padilla, who is a US citizen) or requires we give these people a "trial" at all...
Padilla is an American citizen who, after traveling to various Middle Eastern countries (including Iraq and Afghanistan) and trained with Al Qaeda, was apprehended (with a warrant no less, go USA) when he tried to re-enter the US in 2002. Obviously, his status as a citizen (as well as apprehension on our soil) gives him the right to trial in our courts.

Quote:
As far as the others go....

This is a unique situation, this business of our enemy not being the member of the army of a specific enemy country (altho I would argue that those captured who were originally members of the Iraqi army and the Taliban are entitled to have the Geneva Convention applied to them), and a unique solution for the problem of what to do with those we capture on the battlefield is called for if you're going to say that the Geneva Convention does not apply to them.
Again, you're missing the point. It isn't whether or not I "think" the Geneva Convention should or shouldn't apply to them. It doesn't matter. The Geneva Convention still would not help their case.

Even if it did apply to them (hypothetically), they would fall under Prisoner of War (POW) status, which means they STILL aren't entitled to a trial, or a lawyer, and would still be legally held indefinitely until the end of hostilities. Period. There isn't any personal feelings or opinions about it. They are not guaranteed a trial by the Geneva Convention.

Quote:
The unique solution that we've come up with, however - detaining them indefinitely without counsel or a trial - is not, IMO, a practical one.
How is it not practical? We're keeping these agents of terror off the streets in a maximum security facility on an island in the Caribbean and extracting information that is helping us either capture or kill their comrades. What would be more practical? Throwing them into a pit and machine gunning them down like the Nazi's did the Poles and Jews?

It is not only practical, it’s legal, and its far more humane than what the vast majority of them deserve. Lesser nations, in my humble opinion, would easily put a bullet into the back of each and every one of their heads. That would be practical, but not very humanitarian, wouldn't it?

Quote:
Same thing for those we capture in a foreign country that we accuse of terrorism who we do not capture on the battlefield.
Like I said in my previous post, the government likely has a reason for holding these people, and we've already released people in the past who have been determined as a non-threat. But again, they are captured in a foreign country, and to say that they aren't captured "on the battlefield" if we, hypothetically, capture them in a known terrorist safehouse with explosives, automatic weapons (Soviet surplus, of course), and sketches of potential U.S. troop movements, I think they fall under the same jurisdiction as someone who is unlucky enough not to be sent to Allah with his 72 raisins by our boys and girls in a firefight.

Regards,
Double-J

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/15/06 04:30 PM

Quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[qb] Yes, I would agree.

That shouldn't surprise you, and no "eek" ( ) is necessary - I'm no Bush-hater that automatically disagrees with everything he says or does.

BTW, I like how it says in the article about this reversal in policy that "experts were stunned..."
The "eek" was a joke for God's sake. You need to lighten up a little Plaw.

Just kidding with you Smitty, and you too JJ.

Don Cardi

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/15/06 05:03 PM

Well, now I'm really offended.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/16/06 05:30 PM

JJ you've aged!

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/16/06 05:41 PM

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/16/06 06:16 PM

Those that wave the flag the quickest, are the fastest to run when shit hits the fan.

God Bless America, and those that do honor the best of our virtues, hopes and dreams for the world, and best of all, honor.

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/16/06 06:20 PM

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/16/06 06:49 PM

Cat got your tongue?

BTW, what was the original topic again? :p

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/16/06 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
... what was the original topic again? :p
Something about 3 scumbags who did the rest of the world a big favor...

Apple

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/16/06 06:59 PM

Oh that's right. Thanks!

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/16/06 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
Cat got your tongue?
Moose, actually. :p

Yes, 3 guys who now get to party with 72 raisins.
Posted By: Enzo Scifo

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/16/06 09:46 PM

Uhm, no one actually believes these jihadi-terrorists are acutally committing their acts of terror for some raisins (or virgins :rolleyes: for some), I hope?

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/16/06 09:51 PM

Moose?

God DJ, get some Jewish writers from Hollywood or something for your jokes. Really, you can do better.

Besides, Monty Python, the MacKenzie Brothers, and Dudley DoRight have their patent on the Moose, you theif! :p

Re: 3 Guantanamo Inmates Hang Themselves - 06/28/06 03:45 AM

US Releases 14 Detainees to Saudi Arabia
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET