Home

3 Armed Baby

Posted By: MistaMista Tom Hagen

3 Armed Baby - 06/06/06 02:54 PM

Doctors remove baby's third arm

Tuesday, June 6, 2006; Posted: 1:04 a.m. EDT (05:04 GMT)
Doctors say the boy will require long-term physical therapy. Options considered for boy born with a well-formed third arm

SHANGHAI, China (AP) -- Doctors on Tuesday successfully removed an unusually well-formed third arm from a two-month-old Chinese boy.

Neither of the boy's two left arms is fully functional, but doctors decided to remove the one growing closer to his chest after tests showed it was less developed, said Dr. Chen Bochang, head of the orthopedics department at Shanghai Children's Medical Center.

"The surgery was quite successful," Chen said following the three-hour operation. "Now we're just waiting for the patient to wake up." The boy, identified only as "Jie-jie," would require long-term physical therapy to build strength in the hand on his remaining arm, Chen said.

The boy also was born with just one kidney and may have problems that could lead to curvature of the spine, local media reports said. Jie-jie cried when either of his left arms was touched, but smiled and responded normally to other stimuli, the reports said.
Posted By: Double-J

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/06/06 02:58 PM

With the growing popularity of Asian baseball prospects, they've just ruined his big league career! Could you imagine a 3-handed shortstop?!?! :p
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/06/06 04:13 PM

Why did I open this thread? I just ate lunch.
Posted By: YoTonyB

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 05:47 AM

Even a bad left-handed pitcher can make a million bucks a year in magor league baseball. Imagine a pitcher with TWO left arms...one to start, one for relief.

I saw the x-rays published on-line and it appears that neither of the two left arms developed completely or correctly. The arm they removed (the one in the front) was "less developed" and other reports say that the remaining left arm and hand don't have the full complement of bones for normal function.

Is it just me, or does that baby's head seem too big for his body?

tony b.

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 06:26 AM

You're right, it seems to have no neck.
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 06:28 AM

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 06:30 AM

I wonder what's with the bandage on the kid's face.
Posted By: Lavinia from Italy

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 07:12 AM

I think this thread is disgusting. In my opinion, making a fool out of an unfortunate baby (someone who possibly is going to live with handicap all his life) is -- at least --distasteful. A little bit more sensitivity would be highly appreciated and I'm surprised nobody -- not even mods -- considered that before.

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 09:15 AM

While I agree that it's unfortunate what happened to this child and mocking people with disabilities is wrong, I for one know I never intended on creating humor out of this topic. A simple oddity now and then can be interesting and deformities such as these are somewhat commonplace. Any humor found in this subject I'm sure was never intended to be malicious.

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MistaMista Tom Hagen:
I never intended on creating humor out of this topic.
I agree, after re-reading your own posts. But I find questionable the idea of starting this thread anyway.

Quote:
A simple oddity now and then can be interesting and deformities such as these are somewhat commonplace.
interesting for scientists, sure, but I doubt there are any in these BBs.

Quote:
Any humor found in this subject I'm sure was never intended to be malicious.
I disagree. The reference to the sport and the battery skills, well...they are absolutely in poor taste. You don't use humour if there's nothing to laugh at. And in this case, there was absolutely nothing to laugh at. IMO.
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 09:36 AM

So it should have never been posted because we are not scientists, therefore we cannot find it interesting?

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
So it should have never been posted because we are not scientists, therefore we cannot find it interesting?
of course not. As long as you are going to discuss it seriously and not making a fool out of that baby. What do you think the parents would do, looking at those "humorous" references some brilliant minds made? Laugh at it too?
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 10:47 AM

I was going to post a tasteless, disgusting X-Men poster with the baby in the center...but I can't find it.

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 01:15 PM

Quote:
I wonder what's with the bandage on the kid's face.
Out-of-the-womb product placement. Nelly is trying to attract more Asian fans.

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Lou:
Def Leppard eat your hearts out! :p
Posted By: Don Smitty

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 02:43 PM

this is sick that some of you use a sad thing like this to make jokes about. this is a handicapped baby for gods sake. what the hell is wrong with you people? what if that was ur child? i'll bet that it wouldnt be so funny to you then.

ds
Posted By: Patrick

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Smitty:
this is sick that some of you use a sad thing like this to make jokes about. this is a handicapped baby for gods sake. what the hell is wrong with you people? what if that was ur child? i'll bet that it wouldnt be so funny to you then.

ds

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
what are you laughing for, Patrick? I must be dumb, I don't understand.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 02:52 PM

What exactly did you find so funny about his post?

Don Cardi

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 02:57 PM

Quote:
Posted By: Don Smitty

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 03:05 PM

Quote:
You think that what I said is funny Patrick? Then you must think that making jokes about this baby is funny to. You must be one sick individual on a lot of drugs.

ds

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 03:14 PM

Quote:
You must be one sick individual on a lot of drugs.

ds
Nah, he's just a misguided youth, that's all. :rolleyes:

It seems to be very hard for some on these boards to understand that terrible things like this are not meant to be used for the amusement of themselves or others who have a sick and twisted sense of humor.

Don Cardi
Posted By: bogey

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Double-J:
You know JJ.. if nothing else.. it really is impressive, all the pictures of nooses you find. :p

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bogey:
[quote]Originally posted by Double-J:
[b]
You know JJ.. if nothing else.. it really is impressive, all the pictures of nooses you find. :p [/b][/quote]Pfft, as a future historian, I have an unlimited number of resources at my fingertips.

Besides, Google Image Search is great too. :p
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 07:47 PM

Quote:

ds
Shut it down!
Posted By: Patrick

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
What exactly did you find so funny about his post?

Don Cardi
About Smitty's? Look at that spelling. And it's Smitty. That is reason enough to laugh.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
Nah, he's just a misguided youth, that's all. :rolleyes:
Plenty of those around here these days, right?

While you're at it, why don't you ask Smitten why the fuck he's laughing in Patrick's graduation thread?

Go on, I dares ya.

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 08:17 PM

Why don't you ask Smitty yourself?

And since you decided to post in this topic, I am really interested to hear how you feel about this unfortunate incident being turned into a form of humor for some, or if you agree with Patrick's reply.

Don Cardi
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 08:59 PM

Two reasons why I don't wish to ask Smitten himself. One: I'd prefer to communicate via a mediator, if at all, in order to keep my brain cells intact; I nominated you for that job. I don't know if that's a compliment or not, though. Two: I don't really particularly care that he posted a derogatory smiley in Patrick's thread, but thought that, even if it is a title simply in jest, that your "Moderator" status, and aspirations to be a gentleman should be fair to both sides - why confront Patrick for posting such a smiley but not Smitten?

As far as agreeing with Patrick's post, then yes, I agree; seeing a post from Smitten is reason enough to laugh.

I think humour is always at the expense of something, and this is so touchy just because it happens to be at the expense of a child unable to defend itself against such jokes. I deliberately left out "afflicted", there, for that is arguable, whereas "child" status is pretty concrete, for the time being. Sometimes laughter is an instinctive defense against otherwise confrontation of the abnormal; I know many people who have said they can't help but laugh at funerals, or when they find out somebody has died. Am I defending such humour in this thread? Possibly, I don't know.

As for my thoughts on the picture, I find it beautiful.
Posted By: SC

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 09:30 PM

Guys, keep this talk about member's personalities and posting styles off the boards. It doesn't really matter if you like each other BUT keep it off the boards!

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 09:49 PM

EDIT :Out of respect for our Consigliere SC and also realizing that I should not embaress Capo on the open boards, I've decided to delete what I originaly replied to Capo by acting like a "gentleman" and taking it to a PM.

Don Cardi
Posted By: long_lost_corleone

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/08/06 11:12 PM

Eeeeeeeeh... Tension.

So, I guess now is not the best time to make a joke about hand-jobs?
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/09/06 12:56 AM

Here it is!

[EXTREMELY BAD TASTE]

[/EXTREMELY BAD TASTE]
Posted By: long_lost_corleone

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/09/06 01:08 AM

Why is it he keeps posing like Pop-Eye the Sailor, with his arm all cocked up?

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/09/06 07:14 AM

OK, it's not my style to be so outspoken, but when it's needed it's needed.

I strongly protest this topic is being kept open so that some IDIOTS are allowed to keep posting OFFENSIVE, INHUMANE and DISGUSTING pictures of this poor baby.

I agree the news could have some sort of interest, but thanks to these IDIOTS, the topic turned into a totally outrageous shame.

Now, as long as relationships among BB members are concerned,

I'm SHOCKED that the ones who got the power to do it didn't feel the need to stop this.

I'm SHOCKED that some valued female members -- AFAIK, some of them are even loving mothers -- didn't take the time to say something.

I'm SHOCKED that someone I'm deeply fond of and I've always thought very highly of even tried to justify those heartless, cruel, brutal idiots with some ridiculous psychological issues.

Ok, it had to happen, sooner or later.

I'm fed up.
Ciao to all.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/09/06 08:12 AM

Quote:
Talk about "whatever" here - but please keep it respectable! If you don't like certain topics or particular members, please ignore them.
What has been amazing is, that it's so rare than "NORMAL" Net stuff hasn't happened that much HERE... but NOW it has... it's ALL OVER the web...!

As distastefull as it may be, it's not in my control.

If one feels that strongly about a particular thread, then that person shouldn't continue to read such threads...

What else can I say??

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/09/06 01:00 PM

Congrats, boys, we're all going to hell now (ala Stephen Lynch). :p

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/09/06 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:

As distastefull as it may be, it's not in my control.
[/QB]
Sorry, but I have to agree with Lavinia here.

It's beyond tasteless. What started out innocently as a news report post has turned into something that is outright disgusting, ignorant and offensive.

And personally, I think that those who have decided to amuse themselves and each other at the expense of another's misfortune are in need of some seious mental help.

Don Cardi
Posted By: Don Jasani

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/09/06 03:26 PM

I saw this in the paper a couple of days ago. How exactly is this possible? Was it some sort of genetic mutation? Was the baby just "gifted" with an extra arm?
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: 3 Armed Baby - 06/09/06 05:29 PM

I really am in the middle on this one; no one has broken any rules here, except maybe the few snide remarks about other members. Maybe my sense of humor is also sick and twisted. But for the sake of keeping the peace around here, I'll cave this one time and close the topic. If I had more time, I'd vouch for it to remain open, but I'm not gonna bother...
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET