Home

This is America...

Posted By: Mad Johnny

This is America... - 02/20/06 06:19 PM

Maybe we all can have a nice discussion on what makes America great.

I believe its the freedom Americans have to do what they want, say what the feel and run their own government.

America is quickly falling behind the rest of the world though. Within the next fifty years, America will just be a large strong giant fed by other nations if action isn’t taken.

China could ruin the US overnight if the Chinese government dumped all its American currency. India could do the same.

A sad fact, and this is true no matter what your political religion is, is America could never carry out a massive effort like World War Two again (At least not now or in the next fifty years). America has no heavy industrial base to support itself in a global conflict. So much of the steel and other metal in today’s military comes from overseas.

I’m not saying this to sound anti-American. I’m saying it because I love this nation and I don’t want to see it fail. America needs to become self sufficient again.

And people need to stop fighting and complaining over lame politics. George Washington warned against the party system-

“It serves to distract the Public Councils, and enfeeble the Public Administration....agitates the Community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms; kindles the animosity of one....against another....it opens the door to foreign influence and corruption...thus the policy and the will of one country are subjected to the policy and will of another.”
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: This is America... - 02/20/06 06:48 PM

Nah;

I'd find it much more rewarding to discuss why the world is great, or why life is great.

Why limit things to sugary patriotism? Feeling insecure?

Re: This is America... - 02/20/06 06:50 PM

Eh, it was a topic idea
Posted By: fathersson

Re: This is America... - 02/20/06 07:05 PM

Now, I know why they call you Mad Johnny.
Posted By: JustMe

Re: This is America... - 02/20/06 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:

I'd find it much more rewarding to discuss why the world is great, or why life is great.

Life's greart, Capo! Even being sugary patriotic.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: This is America... - 02/20/06 08:35 PM

Quote:
Nah;

Life is great because I am an American living in America which is part of the free world where I am free to feel patriotic.

That better?

Don Cardi
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: This is America... - 02/20/06 09:42 PM

Quote:
... Why limit things to sugary patriotism? Feeling insecure?
Oh, now I understand!!

That's YOUR defense mechanism, accusing others of being 'insecure'. Guess that's been tried one time too many.

The jig's up, Capo. Try as you might to pretend to yourself, you're no better (or more intelligent) than anyone else on the BB.

Cheerio, God Save the Queen and all that blather!!

Your little puppy,
Apple

Arf, arf!!!
Posted By: treuth

Re: This is America... - 02/20/06 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Johnny:
Maybe we all can have a nice discussion on what makes America great.

I believe its the freedom Americans have to do what they want, say what the feel and run their own government.
now if only more people would realize this
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: This is America... - 02/20/06 11:04 PM

Quote:
If I love my country I am insecure?

I love America because I can't imagine living anywhere else in this world. America isn't perfect, but I love it just like it is. Government aside.

Re: This is America... - 02/21/06 12:06 AM

Oh great, now everyone wants to jump Capo...

eh, at least I tried something civil and interesting...

Re: This is America... - 02/21/06 12:22 AM

Go right ahead, Mad Johnny...your intent for creating this thread was an honorable one.

It is Capitalism that makes America great. Plain & simple.

Apple
Posted By: mr. soprano

Re: This is America... - 02/21/06 12:26 AM

i thought it was democracy that made it great...not capatalism.

Re: This is America... - 02/21/06 12:28 AM

Quote:

China could ruin the US overnight if the Chinese government dumped all its American currency. India could do the same.

America has no heavy industrial base to support itself in a global conflict. So much of the steel and other metal in today’s military comes from overseas.
You do know that we do have safeguards when it comes to American currency in the world market, right?

Don't worry about America and supporting itself in a global conflict. American's will always outdo any and all problems if they need to. Just ask the Japanese after they made the same mistake during W.W.II.

Maybe you should check your facts on steel imports. They may try and dump cheap steel here, but if you look countries like China are buying US steel at a record pace last time I look. China's own steel is mostly use to supply their own demand in their own country.

Re: This is America... - 02/21/06 12:31 AM

Quote:
Oh great, now everyone wants to jump Capo...

Why not, that is what he wants. To start something.

Why do you think he posts what he does?
Posted By: plawrence

Re: This is America... - 02/21/06 12:33 AM

I think I'm starting to like the "New" FS.

You've actually been making some sense lately.

What happened? :p

Re: This is America... - 02/21/06 01:05 AM

Now I am scared.

Never mind me, get back over there and defend your views on penis

Re: This is America... - 02/21/06 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fathersson:
Now I am scared. ...
You SHOULD be, fs!!!

Maybe you'd better get that 'Daily Apple' endorsement off of your signature line!

Posted By: Don Jasani

Re: This is America... - 02/21/06 01:43 AM

What makes The United States of America great eh? Well, it's immediately south of the greatest country in the world for one thing! :p
Posted By: Cancerkitty

Re: This is America... - 02/21/06 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Jasani:
What makes The United States of America great eh? Well, it's immediately south of the greatest country in the world for one thing! :p

Re: This is America... - 02/21/06 02:38 AM

Safe guards on currency? What? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

No, China could dump its holdings in US funds and ruin the economy. Inflation for everyone!

As for domestic steel, etc... There is no way the US could survive a long term conventional war because of the lack of heavy industry. Even in the 1930's, before WWII, there was plenty of heavy industry.

And by war I mean a large scale operation like WWII. There's a war in Iraq, but that's not as huge as WWII.

A great example is what happened to the South in the Civil War. The massive lack of heavy industry in the South gave the North a huge advantage.

The US needs to turn around. The US needs to lose foreign dependence.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: This is America... - 02/21/06 02:52 AM

Mad Johnny, I'm not trying to mock you or hijack your thread, but when I first read this, all I could think of were these words:

I believe in America. America has made my fortune.

Re: This is America... - 02/21/06 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
Mad Johnny, I'm not trying to mock you or hijack your thread, but when I first read this, all I could think of were these words:

I believe in America. America has made my fortune.

Don Cardi
Posted By: Lavinia from Italy

Re: This is America... - 02/21/06 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
The jig's up, Capo. Try as you might to pretend to yourself, you're no better (or more intelligent) than anyone else on the BB.

Cheerio, God Save the Queen and all that blather!!

Your little puppy,
Apple

Arf, arf!!!
Everybody knows I think Capo actually is more intelligent and more brilliant than his average peers and than at least some members any age here, so I'm expressly anything but neutral on this point. But just out of curiosity, why if Capo uses his freedom of speech (that you grant even to a so called historian who's been denying Shoah for ages) you get crabby like this? Doesn't freedom of speech apply to any field, "sugary patriotism" included? :p
Posted By: SC

Re: This is America... - 02/21/06 09:50 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Mad Johnny:
[b] Oh great, now everyone wants to jump Capo...

Why not, that is what he wants. To start something.[/b][/quote]And there'll always be someone to take the bait.

Re: This is America... - 02/21/06 09:58 AM

At no point have I claimed to be more intelligent than anyone else. In fact, my philosophy stems from the belief that we're all the same. I am the same as Bin Laden, he is the same as you. Hierarchies are always placed in the world, by a "civilised" society. Class makes people no better than any other; nor does nationality, religion, belief, and especially not age.

Reason why I posted the original post in this thread? I saw no reason why we should restrict the thread to one country. Granted, most people on here come from there. Granted, most of those haven't even left the country and saw anywhere else.

And I agree, it's probably capitalism that makes America so great. Not the people or anything. Always the political stance, right?

Re: This is America... - 02/21/06 11:16 AM

Quote:

Reason why I posted the original post in this thread? I saw no reason why we should restrict the thread to one country.
So why didn't you just start a new topic that addressed more than one country?

Don Cardi

Re: This is America... - 02/21/06 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
I think I'm starting to like the "New" FS.

You've actually been making some sense lately.

What happened? :p
Quote:
Now I am scared.
Just so that there's no misunderstanding about what it was that you said that I was referring to (since I just realized that you had made a second post after my "You've actually been making some sense lately"), it was this comment:

Quote:
Don't worry about America and supporting itself in a global conflict. American's will always outdo any and all problems if they need to. Just ask the Japanese after they made the same mistake during W.W.II.

Re: This is America... - 02/21/06 12:43 PM

Quote:
....what makes America great(?)

I agree.

It's the Bill of Rights that goes a long way towards making our country great.
Posted By: Don Smitty

Re: This is America... - 02/21/06 03:08 PM

I’m proud to be an American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.

And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA.

DS
Posted By: DonVitoCorleone

Re: This is America... - 03/01/06 08:28 PM

It's clear that Capo is an anti-American scumbag terrorist cocksucker. Now the question is, what do we do with him?

:p

Re: This is America... - 03/01/06 09:12 PM

"I love America. I love the freedoms we used to have." - George Carlin
Posted By: svsg

Re: This is America... - 03/01/06 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonVitoCorleone:
It's clear that Capo is an anti-American scumbag terrorist cocksucker. Now the question is, what do we do with him?

:p
1)Take away all the dvds he has piled up in his room, half of which he has not even watched
2) Lock him up alone in a room with no tv, vcr, dvd, computer, books.....
Posted By: Enzo Scifo

Re: This is America... - 03/01/06 09:44 PM

To all of the patriotic Americans, and all the other patriots too: Would you also love your country if it wasn't so free?
Posted By: Michael/Corleone

Re: This is America... - 03/01/06 11:14 PM

I keep reading the words "freedom" and "free", but, now that I come to think of it, aren't we all free? Is it not our humanitarian right to be free and to be able to choose and decide for ourselves? I mean, I can choose and I'm free and I'm not from the U.S, and I would probably kill myself if I lived there. As a matter of fact, I'm Peruvian, and a very proud one, and although I come from a Third World country that depends mostly on developed countries, I'm free as most of the people I know and we simply don't have any concerns regarding freedom and liberty because we are simply accustomed to freedom, and that's it. If people feel proud for living in a country where freedom is a priviledge instead of a right, then I wouldn't know what to think about that.

And you people are always complaining about how the government interferes with your lives, and I remember reading something like "privacy is a thing of the past" in this board. You keep opening threads about new moves by the government to monitor your lives and views and how they manipulate the media. I would not regard that as to being free at all. And just because you have that nice Statue of Liberty (given by the French) does not mean that freedom is the US' trademark. However, freedom is only a point of view, and the freedom you think you enjoy is completely different to the freedom I think is meant by the word 'freedom'.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not willing to start an anti-US debate here, nor do I have the intention to heat things up. If you really like the way you live then fine by me, but considering the fact that for you, the US is great because of its freedom, I was merely expressing my views freely.

So call me ignorant, tell me I don't have the right to say this, tell me I live in a third world country and I have never been to the states (I have been there 4 times in 6 years, in case you were wondering, for too long time, and I don't ever want to go back) and tell me that the US is the greatest superpower in the world and the usual bullshit.
I really couldn't care less.

Re: This is America... - 03/01/06 11:58 PM

Peru - US Support = You're fucked to hell.

Hate America all you want, but just remember that without us, you'd be on TV commercials begging for 35 cents to be sent to you to feed you pal.
Posted By: Michael/Corleone

Re: This is America... - 03/02/06 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Andrew:

Hate America all you want, but just remember that without us, you'd be on TV commercials begging for 35 cents to be sent to you to feed you pal.
Yes, I stated earlier that I know that Peru depends on developed countries for survival. And I think I have enough dignity or pride like to never beg, so I really can't see myself in such situation.

Before more people start repeating what you just said, I'll repeat that I know that Peru depends on developed countries (not just the US) and also neighbouring developing countries.

Besides, it's mutual agreement, you see. The US doesn't send money to us out of sheer kindness. It simply doesn't work that way. We export our products and naturally we have to receive money for them. Just in case you thought you had gotten the wrong idea. And don't think I'll ever say "Thanks to the U.S for being so kind", because it'd be a lie to the world.

Re: This is America... - 03/02/06 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Andrew:
Cold War Afghanis - US Support = WTC still erect?

Sorry; scientific equations in politics don't really work, do they? Or do they...?

"The more you understand freedom, the less you possess it."
- Maurice Conchis, The Magus
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET