Home

Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece

Posted By: plawrence

Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 01:36 PM

Ohio Man Chooses Tree Over Niece
Saving Elm Costs Girl Her Life

By Neal Pulcawer

Lending credence to the argument that environmentalists would rather save a tree than a human life, George Kilmer, a 47 year-old Ohio man said to be a distant cousin of the poet, Joyce Kilmer, made the decision yesterday to save an elm tree that had been on his property for more than one hundred years, at the expense of the life of his sister's 12 year-old daughter.

The unlikely series of events unfolded when the girl, whose name is being withheld at the request of her family because of her age, climbed the tree in Mr. Kilmer's backyard on Sunday, apparently to chase her cat who had climbed the tree earlier in the day and had lodged himself on one of the tree's uppermost branches, afraid to come down.

When the young girl, who was said to be an experienced tree-climber, reached the cat at the top, she found herself unable to climb down when she realized that she needed one of her arms and a hand to carry the cat down with her.

When authorities were called, they determined that the branches at the top of the tree, where both the girl and the cat were now lodged, were too weak to support the weight of an adult rescuer, and that the only way that the two could be saved would be by extending a ladder to the tree's uppermost branches.

When the local Fire Department was called, however, it was decided that the tree's branches would interfere with the extending the ladder, and in order to effect the rescue it would be necessary to chop off most of the tree's upper limbs.

Mr. Kilmer, owner of the property on which the tree stood, as well as the tree itself, refused to allow what he called "an amputation."

"This tree is at least one hundred years old" Mr. Kilmer told authorities. "I refuse to allow its branches to be indiscriminately cut off simply to save a little girl, even if she is my niece."

Despite the desperate and often emotional pleas from his sister, brother-in-law, other family members, and assorted friends and neighbors, Kilmer remained resolute.

Local law enforcement authorities, anxious to save the girl, reportedly sought an injunction in Ohio Superior Court which would have required Mr. Kilmer to allow the rescue operation to proceed, but it was denied by Judge Joseph Maple, a judicial appointee of former president Bill Clinton, who said that "this is a classic case of the government trying to interfere with the property rights of an individual. The tree belongs to Mr. Kilmer, and to grant injunctive relief to the petitioner in this matter would be a clear violation of the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution.”

Mr. Kilmer, who was represented in the court proceedings by the Ohio Civil Liberties Union, was jubilant over his victory.

"This is my private property, this is my tree, and I'll be damned if the government is going to tell me what to do" he said in a prepared statement outside the courthouse.

With their hands now tied, authorities were unable to do anything but wait the situation out, and as Sunday turned into Monday and Monday into Tuesday, fears for the girl's life began to arise.

Finally, on Tuesday afternoon, sounds could no longer be detected from the top of the tree, and it was feared that the girl had fallen asleep. Up until Tuesday, rescuers on the ground had been able to talk to the girl, who had told them that she was "hungry, thirsty, cold, and tired" and "wanted to come down."

With the Kilmer property ringed by what have become the obsequious satellite trucks belonging to the news media, and with searchlights focused on the top of the tree, the girl finally fell to the ground at 5:30 A.M. Wednesday morning, her cat still cradled in her arms.

The fall of more than fifty feet, during which she bounced of off many of the elm's heavier lower branches, apparently caused massive internal injuries, and she was pronounced dead on arrival at a local hospital.

The cat was unhurt.

Although roundly criticized for his actions in not allowing the girl's rescue, Mr. Kilmer remained obstinate that he had made the right decision.

"My sister can always have another child. This is a one hundred year-old tree, and I consider it irreplaceable" he said. "How can you compare that to the life of a twelve-year old girl?"
Posted By: Senza Mama

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 01:47 PM

I blame George Bush.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 02:15 PM

Unbelieveable! I have heard of cases where tree branches go into a neighbors yard and the tree owner is required to trim/cut branches. I guess that's different than having a little girl stuck in a tree.

And what a loving brother! :rolleyes: "My sister can always have another child"! WTF This guy has a couple screws loose I think. I guess there are "true" tree huggers. I can understand an attachment to a pet, but to be so attached to a tree that you'd let a child (not to mention a blood relative) die is deplorable.

Btw, couldn't they have gotten a net and have the little girl jump into it??

TIS
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 02:21 PM

Tell Neal that I'm not sure I'm getting this one.

You think they could have kept a blanket or trampoline under the tree and tell the girl to drop the cat down. Who comes up with these rescue plans? :p
Posted By: Beth E

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 02:21 PM

Hey TIS, maybe we should ask the author of this article to investigate it more. :p
Posted By: Lavinia from Italy

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 02:24 PM

If the story is true, this man is unsane and should be locked up. What I find totally unbelievable is that nobody could do anything to rescue the girl!

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
Btw, couldn't they have gotten a net and have the little girl jump into it??
Apparently elm's lower branches were in the way and could cause her injury. :p
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 02:27 PM

Needless to say, trees don't nag for sweets everytime you go the shop.

And, no matter how experienced a climber you are, you need to also practice descending. That's just plain common sense.

What was the cat called?

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by afsaneh77:
Tell Neal that I'm not sure I'm getting this one.
----------

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Smitty:
It makes me wonder why someone would care more about a tree then human life?
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
And it makes me wonder why you would post anything this silly about environmentalists, as if they belong to some secret sect that goes around worshipping leaves and promoting the end of all human life.
Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
Why does it necessarily follow that someone who "cares about trees" - someone who cares about the environment - cares "more about a tree then human life?"

Since when are the two mutually exclusive?

Someone can't be against abortion, for example, and also be an environmentalist?

Anyone who is pro-choice is automatically an environmentalist?

I know that I certainly care about the environment, but if you gave me the choice between saving your life, DS, or cutting down a bunch of trees, I'd be happy to spare you.
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
as I said, I was mystified by the supposed connection between being pro-choice and/or being an environmentalist, and what that has to do with Mayor Giuliani. Do they all go together, like in a package? The implication from Don Smitty's post is that if you believe in abortion, then you're a tree hugger, although you value the life of a leaf far more than human life. And I just don't see how DS got from Point A to Point B.
----------

Apparently the article proves that the "tree huggers" do think that the life of a tree is more important than a human life. :rolleyes:

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 02:31 PM

Oh man!! I thought it was a "real" story. Silly me. You got me PLaw. What can I say, it's early here. :p

TIS

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
What was the cat called?
"Bushie"

Strange coincidence, isn't it? Because it was all the cat's fault.
Posted By: Snake

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 02:37 PM

Maybe that one's false, but the tree-huggers don't mind driving a few spikes into trees to injure/kill lumberjacks. Talk about some screwy priorities.

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 02:43 PM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
[b]What was the cat called?
"Bushie"
[/b][/quote]I laughed so hard that my mom came to my room to check on me and give me that crazy look.

BTW, Thank Neal for me, I wasn't following these conversations lately.
Posted By: Lavinia from Italy

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 02:45 PM

Quote:
"Bushie"

Great one, Plaw. What a relief it's just a fake of a story.... You know, there are so many sickos in the world it might have even been true....

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake:
Maybe that one's false, but the tree-huggers don't mind driving a few spikes into trees to injure/kill lumberjacks. Talk about some screwy priorities.

Well, as you yourself has said:

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake:
there are "radicals" in every sort of politcal/religious/cultural/social group.....
I'd agree. And I generally don't agree with the "extremist" actions of anyone from any of these groups when they start trampling on the rights of others and endangering other people's health and safety.

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 02:53 PM

Amen, plaw. That's scary that we actually agree on something!!

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 03:04 PM

Please.....no "amens" after anything I say.

:p

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 03:07 PM

How about "Halleluja Brother?"

TIS

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 03:17 PM

Ok. How about, "Maranatha"?
Posted By: bogey

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 03:19 PM

Quote:
"Bushie"

Subtle, Neal. Subtle.
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 03:34 PM

I don't care for generalizations, but whatever.

As for this story, as much as I care about the environment, I care more about my family than any f*cking tree. I would think that many environmentalists would agree with me on that, but whatever.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 05:51 PM

Quote:
... "My sister can always have another child. This is a one hundred year-old tree, and I consider it irreplacable" he said. "How can you compare that to the life of a twelve-year old girl?"
I'm sorry but until I actually SEE a clip or hear a soundbite of the man actually saying this, I refuse to believe it's true. While he did get a bit anal about saving the tree...I'm sure he never intended for, and never expected the girl to die.

And cannot believe that once she DID die, her own uncle would be so crass, so unfeeling as to compare her life to that of a tree.

In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if much of the story is true....

Apple
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 05:54 PM

I was almost believing this until the typos, and, the fact that they didn't use a rescue helicopter... :p

Nonetheless - Good one, Neal!

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
I'm sorry but until I actually SEE a clip or hear a soundbite of the man actually saying this, I refuse to believe it's true. While he did get a bit anal about saving the tree...I'm sure he never intended for, and never expected the girl to die.

And cannot believe that once she DID die, her own uncle would be so crass, so unfeeling as to compare her life to that of a tree.

Neal Pulcawer has, as far as I know, one of the finest reputations for journalistic integrity in the world.

He won the "Journalist Of The Year" award in 2004 from the National Asociation of Journalistic Persiflage, and received the prestigious Art Buchwald/H.L. Mencken Memorial Award in 2003, presented by the Associaton & Spurious Society for Homeland Editorial Superiority"

Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
I was almost believing this until the typos, and, the fact that they didn't use a rescue helicopter... :p
You too?

A few typos can happen to anyone.

I guess they couldn't use a helicpter because all of the branches or something.

You know those "stately old elms"....
Posted By: XDCX

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 06:20 PM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
[b]I'm sorry but until I actually SEE a clip or hear a soundbite of the man actually saying this, I refuse to believe it's true. While he did get a bit anal about saving the tree...I'm sure he never intended for, and never expected the girl to die.

Neal Pulcawer has, as far as I know, one of the finest reputations for journalistic integrity in the world.

He won the "Journalist Of The Year" award in 2004 from the National Asociation of Journalistic Persiflage, and received the prestigious Art Buchwald/H.L. Mencken Memorial Award in 2003, presented by the Associaton & Spurious Society for Homeland Editorial Superiority" [/b][/quote]
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 06:35 PM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
[b]What was the cat called?
"Bushie"
[/b][/quote]JG feel free to delete this one because I have no self control:

So am I too believe this was a Bushie Pussy cat?
Posted By: Beth E

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 06:38 PM

Maybe he used Bushie to get pussy.

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 06:44 PM

Quote:
Art Buchwald/H.L. Mencken Memorial Award in 2003, presented by the Associaton & Spurious Society for Homeland Editorial Superiority"
What kind of people does that society consist of?

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 06:53 PM

You know, this business about all environmentlists automtically being the kind of nuts who would prefer to save a tree instead of a human life is a serious issue.

And all you people want to do is make light of the situation.

You should all take it seriously, as I do.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
JG feel free to delete this one because I have no self control:
I'm just mad that I didn't think of it first!
Posted By: Luciano Fanucci

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 07:23 PM

She shoudlnt of went up there if she knew she wouldnt be able to get down.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 07:23 PM

Thanks alot Neal you had me in tears. I should've known better :rolleyes:

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Luciano Fanucci:
She shoudlnt of went up there if she knew she wouldnt be able to get down.
Climbers, in general, underestimate the value of going to "getting down" classes. They are, in comparison, fairly boring, though no less valuable, as this tragic story reveals.
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 07:43 PM

George Kilmer can go fuck himself.

What a cocksucker. Simply disgusting.

Edit: Yet another fake story I took seriously.

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mignon:
Thanks alot Neal you had me in tears.
I understand, Mig. I was in tears also.

It's a very sad story.
Posted By: suspect_5

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 09:28 PM

Well he did have a point when you think about it I mean the tree had been there for 10 times longer than the girl.

But I think that there is some subtext in this story that we haven't talked about yet. That while environmentalists particularly the gentleman in this piece may come off as callous by protecting the natural world against the encroachment of human consumption, animal rights people are just freaking nuts. Say what you will about the tree hugging uncle in this story what about the future PETA combat protester of a niece that completely ignored the fact that a cat domestic or not is an animal and as such has certain instincts about the natural world. Ignoring this she unwisely thrust herself into the situation ignoring her shortcomings and inexperience and decided to save the animal, albeit inadvertently she actually in all likelihood hindered the cat from descending. (well her and all of the lower branches that she hit on the way down)
Posted By: Letizia B.

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 11:25 PM

That's a good one PL, wherever you dug it up.

But I wouldn't be surprised if this were true. Furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised if the man became regarded as a hero for saving his tree, to be honest. Hmmm, I smell another article coming next month, when George Kilmer is the controversial Grand Marshal of the Arbor Day Parade!!

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/09/06 11:40 PM

Articles are made by fools like me.....
But only God can make a tree.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/10/06 06:00 PM

Imagine if the tree was on the property line of a church and a municipal building!
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Ohio Man Chooses Life Of A Tree Over His Niece - 02/10/06 06:38 PM

Sorry to join in so late, but I just wanted to say that this article provided some much-needed relief. No wonder I'm the president of Neal's fan club.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET