Home

Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!

Posted By: XDCX

Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! - 01/16/06 06:12 PM

Just like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a happy MLK, Jr. day. Let's never forget the great things Dr. King did for this nation.

This man had a dream. Long live the dream.
Posted By: Enzo Scifo

Re: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! - 01/16/06 06:32 PM

May his dream be forever true!
Posted By: Aziatic

Re: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! - 01/16/06 09:14 PM

My role model! What he did and achieved for his people is amazing! Hundreds of millions of people all around the world share the same dream, may such a dream come true for all of them!

R.I.P. MLK
Posted By: AngelaMarie

Re: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! - 01/16/06 10:15 PM

Happy MLK Day!
Posted By: ginaitaliangirl

Re: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! - 01/16/06 11:07 PM

Happy MLK Day, everyone! This man is definitely a hero of mine, and I hope that his dream continues to live on in the world.

I did a History fair project on him last year, and truly, I think that was the most interesting person I've ever researched. I enjoyed learning about him so much that it didn't even feel like schoolwork to me, and it really made me appreciate, even more, what a great man he was.
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! - 01/16/06 11:08 PM

Happy MLK day
Posted By: Patrick

Re: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! - 01/17/06 03:09 AM

While he did much for the Civil Rights movement, no doubt, I still put Malcolm X and Tupac Shakur high above him as role models. I think Tupac said it best in his song, Words of Wisdom .

Quote:
No Malcolm X in my history text.
Why is that?
Cause he tried to educate and liberate all blacks.
Why is Martin Luther King in my book each week?
He told blacks, if they get smacked, turn the other cheek.
I don't get it, so many questions went through my mind.
I get sweated.
They act as if asking questions is a crime.
But forget it, one day I'm gonna prove them wrong.
Not every brother had to smother on the welfare line.
Posted By: XDCX

Re: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! - 01/17/06 03:33 AM

Putting Malcolm X above Dr. King is one thing, but to even suggest that Tupac Shakur is a better role model is completely asinine.

It's not even subject to opinion.

Re: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! - 01/17/06 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by xXx_DoN_CoRLeOnE_xXx:
Putting Malcolm X above Dr. King is one thing, but to even suggest that Tupac Shakur is a better role model is completely asinine.
Not only did I suggest it, but I flat out stated he was.
Posted By: Anthony Lombardi

Re: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! - 01/17/06 04:13 AM

note to patrick: smileys at the end of every ignorant statement you blurt out do not make you look hip & apathetic, nor cute. it's just flat out stupid, & unoriginal might i add. but i bet i can expect another one in reply to this.

Re: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! - 01/17/06 04:18 AM

How am I being ignorant? I didn't insult anyone or do anything. I merely stated my opinion, which you happen to disagree with, so now I'm ignorant?
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! - 01/17/06 05:14 AM

I could understand Mr. X over King, but TUPAC?

Re: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! - 01/17/06 05:16 AM

Not being partisan, but interesting fact: When he was a Congressman from Wyoming, future U.S. Vice-President "Dick" Cheney voted against the measure of MLK Day being a National Holiday, which was later signed by President Ronald Reagan into law in 1987.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! - 01/17/06 07:12 AM

Once Malcolm got away from the "kill Whitey" period, then yeah, I admired him. I thought his autobiography was fascinating. I really should read up on MLK more, cuz I'm sure his life was, too. At least he had the right message, which I admire and would march for myself.

But really, to put a rapper up there with those two, c'mon... That's the same shit as thinking Bruce or Bono would make good leaders... or, say, a shitty actor becoming governor of California...! (Oh, wait... lol)

Re: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! - 01/17/06 07:17 AM

Funny story I read once, of how Malcolm X went to Israel/Palestine during his whole pilgrimage to Mecca. Anyway, some Palestininan youths meet him, and tell of how they "support" him, they understand his people's plight and blah blah blah. Mr. X then abruptly then tells them:

"What have you all done to support my people?"

With that, he walked away.
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! - 01/17/06 09:18 PM

Malcolm X and Dr. King arguably belong on the same level, but Tupac? He was a brilliant rapper, but, uh,

What the fuck did he do?

Re: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! - 01/18/06 01:35 AM

Remember when Lincoln's and Washington's birthday themselves were considered national holidays decades back?
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! - 01/18/06 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
Remember when Lincoln's and Washington's birthday themselves were considered national holidays decades back?
Yes, I do. And they were PRESIDENT's...Washington the first and a founding father of our nation. Lincoln succeeded in preserving the union despite overwhelming opposition...otherwise we would be not one United States today, but two and perhaps even more separate, individual, rogue countries.

Alas, now both their birthday's are lumped into one single 'President's Day'...

As great as Dr. King's legacy is...I think Cheney and others were absolutely right to vote against his birthday becoming a national holiday. Listening to the hateful, nasty, pandering speeches given yesterday by among others Hillary Clinton, Al Gore, and the Mayor of New Orleans, it is easy to forget that King's message was one of equality and togetherness, not the divisiveness that is spread by those who pretend to honor him.

Best,
AppleOnYa

Apple
Posted By: Snake

Re: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! - 01/18/06 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Partagas:
Anyway I met and talked with Howard Dean last night as he was one of the guest speakers.
Man. My sympathies, Part. Think I would've rather took a chainsaw to my ankle!

Re: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! - 01/18/06 02:09 AM

But what about COLUMBUS DAY Apple?
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! - 01/18/06 02:11 AM

Quote:
Don't get than one either. Should be Native Americans day if you wanna dig deep.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! - 01/18/06 02:47 AM

Quote:
What about it ??

:rolleyes:

When I was a kid it was a somewhat bigger deal than it is now...but even then I don't think it was ever a Federal Holiday, with banks closed and no mail etc. More like a celebratory day much like St. Patrick's or Valentine's.

ronnierocketAGO, I sure hope you're not a shining example of the future of our country.

But Happy MLK Day, anyway!!

Apple

Re: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! - 01/18/06 04:01 AM

"ronnierocketAGO, I sure hope you're not a shining example of the future of our country."

You mean in terms of asking questions about a viewpoint?
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! - 01/18/06 04:06 AM

A few random opinions of mine.

I think Lincoln and Washington should have separate holidays.

I think MLK deserves a holiday.

I have no problem with Columbus day.

I think we should do away with Black History month.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET