Home

Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die?

Posted By: Saladbar

Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/21/05 05:16 PM

Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die?
Posted By: goombah

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/21/05 05:34 PM

Whether she lives or dies should be up to her family, not George Bush, not Congress, or any other group trying to politicize this issue to further their own agendas. Kind of ironic that one of the mantras of the Republicans is smaller government. How does one go from less government involvement to direct involvement in a person's medical condition?

I guess Bush's involvement shouldn't be much of a surprise since he enjoys playing God with other people's lives and he believes that God speaks to him directly.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/21/05 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by goombah:
Whether she lives or dies should be up to her family, not George Bush, not Congress, or any other group trying to politicize this issue to further their own agendas.
Yes. In retrospect, the poll should really be WHO should decide and not whether she should be allowed to die or not.

Oh well.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/21/05 05:58 PM

People may wanna see http://www.TerrisFight.net/ before forming an opinion...

From what I see there, it seems her husband has started a new family, and just wants her to "disappear" -- against her family's wishes. It also seems Terri's lawyer is making some huge bucks over all this. I'm still not certain what even happened to her to begin with -- or what entitled her to over a million dollars in malpractice awards a few years ago -- but I think the family should be the one to decide, not the government nor deserting husband Michael Schiavo.

But as I said, I don't know everything about this case...
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/21/05 06:50 PM

If it is truely her wish not to live like that then I say yes take the tube out. I know the only way I would want to be put on a machine or a feeding tube if it was only temporary and it would help me to get better. But, not for the rest of my life living like a vegtable. The US Government has no business getting involved in this case. It is up to the family. If it is true that the only reason the husband wants her to die is so he can get on with his life with his new family then he is a scumbag.
Posted By: Patrick

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/21/05 08:24 PM

She should be allowed to die. Congress interfering with this means that Congress (mainly those God damned Republicans, as a matter of fact, just those God damned Republicans) is intruding on the lives of each person and can't mind their own business. Every other family that is going through something like this can now turn to Congress for help. People around the US who know what is going on are starving to death and living in poverty, but we're worried about someone who is going to stay in her present state.

I wish the decision could be up to the parents, but giving them the authority to decide whether Terri lives would interfere with a juvenile and an adult.

A sticky situation that should've been left alone by Congress. -Pat
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/21/05 08:54 PM

Quote:
I wish the decision could be up to the parents, but giving them the authority to decide whether Terri lives would interfere with a juvenile and an adult.
How is that?

and btw I like the flame bait by saying "God Damned Republicans" :rolleyes:

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/21/05 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
[quote] I wish the decision could be up to the parents, but giving them the authority to decide whether Terri lives would interfere with a juvenile and an adult.
How is that?

[/quote]How is that? If the parents can decide what happens to their daughter (who is over 18), than that, in essence, gives them power to decide her fate when she is an adult. It's like my parents being able to tell me what to do when I turn 18 and move out. They have no authority on me anymore.

Are you trying to say that it's not the Republicans that are pushing this?!

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/21/05 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
[quote]Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
[b] [quote] I wish the decision could be up to the parents, but giving them the authority to decide whether Terri lives would interfere with a juvenile and an adult.
How is that?

[/quote]How is that? If the parents can decide what happens to their daughter (who is over 18), than that, in essence, gives them power to decide her fate when she is an adult. It's like my parents being able to tell me what to do when I turn 18 and move out. They have no authority on me anymore.

Are you trying to say that it's not the Republicans that are pushing this?! [/b][/quote]Then it only interferes with what happens between an adult and an adult. Terri is responsive and I've heard numerous reports of her responding when they talk about death, and how SHE doesn't want it. Since she can't personally go to court and fight it and her husband wants her dead then her wishes should just be ignored? It's not a matter of the parents MAKING the decision it is the parents FIGHTING FOR THEIR DAUGHTER'S decision.

and no I'm saying there was no need to say God Damned, you could have just said Republicans but you put in the God Damned as flame bait.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/21/05 09:13 PM

I personally know all the lawyers and the judge who have been fighting this case for what now seems to be forever. The Federal Judge who will hear it is smart enough to put the tube back in and hear the who shee-bang another day.

This is an effort by the agenda driven right wing to have government control over life and death, and the relationship with this case to Roe v Wade is unmistakable. If congress can overrule the courts on this issue, it can do so on abortion.

These right wing whack jobs have no compunction about executing retarded people, and calling the death of 100,000 Iraqis "collateral damage." But when there is a white woman on a feeding tube and a photo op, then they are advocates of the "culture of life." BULLSPIT!

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/21/05 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
Then it only interferes with what happens between an adult and an adult. Terri is responsive and I've heard numerous reports of her responding when they talk about death, and how SHE doesn't want it. Since she can't personally go to court and fight it and her husband wants her dead then her wishes should just be ignored? It's not a matter of the parents MAKING the decision it is the parents FIGHTING FOR THEIR DAUGHTER'S decision.

and no I'm saying there was no need to say God Damned, you could have just said Republicans but you put in the God Damned as flame bait.
Please show evidence of this. According to a doctor who was on CNN yesterday, it's VERY ordinary for someone in a vegitative state to smile and look at the person talking to them, but they have no understanding of what is going on.

Oh, I forgot about your virgin ears. :p :rolleyes: I'll use darn next time. -Pat

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/21/05 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dontomasso:
I personally know all the lawyers and the judge who have been fighting this case for what now seems to be forever. The Federal Judge who will hear it is smart enough to put the tube back in and hear the who shee-bang another day.

This is an effort by the agenda driven right wing to have government control over life and death, and the relationship with this case to Roe v Wade is unmistakable. If congress can overrule the courts on this issue, it can do so on abortion.

These right wing whack jobs have no compunction about executing retarded people, and calling the death of 100,000 Iraqis "collateral damage." But when there is a white woman on a feeding tube and a photo op, then they are advocates of the "culture of life." BULLSPIT!
Welcome to the boards!

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/21/05 09:38 PM

Quote:

Bravo - well said. The right isn't just sticking its foot in the door, it's trying to kick the door down and get rid of our civil liberties. And many in this country gleefully let them get away with it.
Posted By: plawrence

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/21/05 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mignon:
If it is true that the only reason the husband wants her to die is so he can get on with his life with his new family then he is a scumbag.
Hypothetically speaking.....

If I were in a vegetative state, I would want the plug pulled so my spouse would be able to get on with her life.

Particularly if she found someone to be with whom she loved and who loved her.

What would be the point of my keeping my spouse trapped in a marriage to a vegetable?

I wouldn't blame her one bit if she wanted to divorce me because she met and fell in love with someone else.

Like JG, I'm not all that familiar with the facts of the case, but I don't see how her husband is a scumbag.

If she could somehow make a conscious choice as to whether or not to let him get on with his life and chose not to, that, I think, would make her the scumbag.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/21/05 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Partagas:

As far as hubby goes -- he could have divorced her and has been urged to do so by her parents so he can "get on with his life, girlfriend and kid.

In other words, he does not have to be trapped in this situtaion at all.

I think the fact that he hasn't could be a testament to his desire to do what she would have wanted. If my DH were in her situation, I would fight until the end to take him off artificial life support, because I know that he would not want to be in a persistent vegetative state for years without end. It wouldn't be possible for me to just walk away.

It has been 15 years, he HAS another life. He asked the COURT to consider the evidence about what she would have wanted, and to make its own evaluation, not necessarily HIS alone. THE COURTS found that she would not have wanted to be kept alive based on the evidence we are not privy to.

I saw the brain scans of Teri. It is all fluid. Yuck.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/21/05 11:05 PM

Quote:
She should be allowed to die.
Of course she should be -- did anyone ask her, or did she indicate at all, if that's what she wanted?

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/21/05 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
[quote]Originally posted by Patrick:
[b] She should be allowed to die.
Of course she should be -- did anyone ask her, or did she indicate at all, if that's what she wanted? [/b][/quote]As a matter of fact, according to her husband, she said she wouldn't want to live this way.

Also, I find it really uncomfortable that some of you guys want this woman to be kept alive. Put yourself in her shoes. Would you want to live that way? Laying in one bed for 15 years with only a tube to decide your fate? Seriously. I pray to God that the Federal Judge decides to keep the tube out. We all know that the right is coming for Roe Vs. Wade next.

This is their practice round. I can see the lies in the eyes of every single politician who said they trully cared about Terri. Give me a break! You didn't even know the woman and you know 'darn' well that you wouldn't want to live that way. -Pat
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/21/05 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by goombah:
Whether she lives or dies should be up to her family, not George Bush, not Congress, or any other group ...
You are right...the problem however, is that her family is DIVIDED on the issue. While her estranged husband insists that she should be allowed to be starved to death, her parents would like her to be allowed to live. That is why it came to this in the first place.

While I'm fairly certain the husband's motives are sincere and that that Terri might well have told him she would not want to live this way - in my opinion the fact remains that she never signed a paper stating so, never prepared a living will making her wishes known. That lack of legal documentation alone should prevent this feeding tube from ever being removed in the first place.

What is the point of a living will if someone's spouse or other closest living relative can simply say, 'Well, he/she told me once while we were watching a movie that they would never want to be kept alive in a vegetative state.'

While she's had no nutrition since Friday and time's a-wastin', I think it's absolutely right of Congress and anyone else to do whatever they can to help this woman to remain alive. For feeding a person is NOT keeping them alive via 'artificial' means. And whatever she said to hubby in the comfort of their home...she did not sign anything expressing her wishes. If she had, this story would've been over long ago.

Since air isn't being forced into her lungs, Terri is not being kept alive artifically. She can breathe on her own. She's not on life support. She is simply being fed. And she should continue to be fed until the day she dies.

Best,
AppleOnYa
Posted By: Big Daddy Don

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/21/05 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:

If I were in a vegetative state, I would want the plug pulled so my spouse would be able to get on with her life.
If that day comes - and it may never come - but in the event it does, can you include something that allows me permission to pull the plug ? I would like to take that opportunity and auction it off on eBay, I bet I would make a fortune. DB would probably be the second highest bidder but that is another story. :p

But to the question at hand and whether anything was written. She has been this way for 15 years, she was in her mid 20's when this happened, so how many people in their mid 20's even have a living will. My wife has said many many times that she would not want to be kept alive if she cannot survive on her own - that is not the life that she wants. And though she has let that be known many times and in some cases to others than myself, she has no living will. So if God forbide she was ever in that state I would be doing what I could to grant her wish because that is what she wanted and that is what my obligation to her would be. Why is the husband perceived as the bad guy in this? If she truly made that request he is trying to honor it, I don't see that as a negative. It is not like this has been 15 days or even 15 months, but it has been 15 years, this was not a spur decision. There was actually a good discussion on her state on CNN last night, she really has no brain function and I don't believe they have found one medical professional in the 15 years that has said she can recover. At the end of the day, no matter what - it is just a sad sad story, for I think everyone, although on opposite sides, really believe they are doing the right thing and doing what is best for Terri.

Of course on my part I let it be known to keep me going. Take me in the car, plug me into the cigarette lighter, drive me around down. Get me back in the house, sit me in the vibrating recliner plug me in and put the remote next to me. Most people probably wouldn't see much of a change though It'll be like 'Weekend at Bernie's' :p
Posted By: Don Provalone

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/22/05 12:09 AM

From what I have heard, her parents were willing to take full responsibility for her, so if there is no living will or similar document, then I really do not understand the husband's view... unless her death means that he can date or remarry with a clear conscience. Sorry, but my 'guy' instincts tell me that even if she is not in his care, she is still restricting him from moving on. Although his wife is disabled, he cannot remarry or even date without technically committing adultery. I am not saying that he does not love his wife, but I do know that her death sets him free to move on.
Posted By: Letizia B.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/22/05 12:34 AM

I read that several doctors have said that her situation can be improved with therapy and rehabilition. However, her husband keeps refusing it, even when they outright recommended specific rehabilitation centers for her, early on.

Does anyone know why he doesn't want this?

I don't know, I don't trust him. One of his ex-girlfriends testified against him, but then stopped testifying because she was scared of him. He won't sign over the guardianship to her parents-- if he wants to move on with his life, he's welcome to, but he's not doing it. At one point, he forbade Terri's brother and sister from visiting her. What's the deal with this guy? He's not just some poor soul who basically lost his wife and is trying to move on. There seems to be a LOT more to it than that.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/22/05 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Letizia B.:
I read that several doctors have said that her situation can be improved with therapy and rehabilition.
I have a hard time believing that after 15 years and all the press this case has gotten in addition to the numerous courts cases and battles that included so many medical testimonies, that if there was real beliefs that therapy and rehabilition could make a difference it would have had to happen or it would have been made a much bigger issue. From what I have heard she has no brain activity - zero - how can therapy and rehabilition help if there is no brain activity? Putting aside the issue of the feeding tube - which I can see arguements on both sides, I really don't see after all these years of no change nor improvement that any therapy will make a difference though - unfortunelatly. Sanjay Gupte the medical expert on CNN, who I think is pretty neutral on a lot of things even said there is no medical evidence or perceptions that anything can change her condition.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/22/05 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Daddy Don:
From what I have heard she has no brain activity - zero - how can therapy and rehabilition help if there is no brain activity?
There are videos of her reacting to things, to people's voices, reacting to touch, things like that. When her mother asks her questions, she grunts. I'm no doctor, but that really seems like brain activity to me.

I don't know, the whole thing is weird. The two sides are so extreme, and they're not agreeing on anything. You'd think they're seeing the medical charts of two separate people.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/22/05 01:24 AM

Quote:
There are videos of her reacting to things, to people's voices, reacting to touch, things like that. When her mother asks her questions, she grunts. I'm no doctor, but that really seems like brain activity to me.
They talked about that very exact thing last night on the CNN episode I saw with Gupte. He said that people in her condition sometimes respond to noise and such but it is more of an instinct or natural movement - whatever that means but he was saying again saying from all the tests / exams there is no brain activity at all. I don't understand it all but it has been pretty consistent from the various people that I have at least seen that they all say no brain activity. He also said that what we don't see is all the times when there is no response, that in all the years that same clip we see is the one that is used because 99% of the time there is no response at all.

As I said the issue of the feeding tube etc is debatable I can see both sides, I lean towards one, however on the issue of brain activity from what I have seen and heard I don't believe there is any, she was without oxygen for over 5 minutes when the initial stroke or whatever occured and the brain never responded since than. Who thinks stuff like that happens to a 25 or 26 year old person?

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/22/05 01:41 AM

Quote:
Who thinks stuff like that happens to a 25 or 26 year old person?
I know, it's scary.

If they were sure that she's brain-dead, and that no amount of treatment and therapy would help her, then I'd say send in the priest, say a prayer, whatever it is that they do, and get it over with already. I don't think it's right to "defeat" death that way. Death happens, and it's a very necessary part of life. You can keep someone on life support forever, what's the point?

But the thing is, as far as I know, she's not on respirators and stuff... they're only feeding her and giving her water. Nothing more. Her heart is beating on its own, she's breathing alone.

What are they saying about that on CNN and stuff? I'm not being a bitch and challenging you (at least not this time )-- I seriously want to know. I haven't been watching the news, just reading the papers and stuff.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/22/05 03:37 AM

Quote:
What are they saying about that on CNN and stuff? I'm not being a bitch and challenging you (at least not this time )-- I seriously want to know. I haven't been watching the news, just reading the papers and stuff.
Oh I know you are not challening me nor being a bitch - you are too smart for that. :p

But seriously though, the CNN segment was probably the only segment that was more than just the standard 2 minute soundbyte where they really discussed the situation from a health standpoint, not all the legal issues. And they basically talked of what I said earlier. She is the way she is, it has been 15 years, she was deprived of oxygen when this initially happened for over 5 minutes and though the body and organs can function, which is why she is not on respirators and the such - the brain is shut down for all intent and purposes.

And to the earlier comment about the woman that was in a coma they also spoke about the difference between the two; a coma and this persistent vegetative state (or whatever it is called). With the coma that body completely shuts down, no responses, nothing, it just shuts down however that does not mean no brain activity, only no responses. In this persistent vegetative state, the body shows signs of responses at times however the brain is not functioning. I do not have a medical degree so I am not sure of all the talk of how the body responds with no brain activity etc, but they were consistent in the message there is no brain activity in this persistent vegetative state and that was pretty consistent with the few other discussions I saw or read on the medical side of it. There was really no discussions on the legality of removing the feeding tube - it was really just a discussion - from a medical point of view of her condition.

The most interesting point though, I thought and mentioned earlier was when they discussed the video where she seems to respond at times and the comment was you see these same few clips over and over because all the other times there is no response at all. I found that a very interesting comment.
Posted By: Lauren8

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/22/05 04:06 AM

Quote:
Since air isn't being forced into her lungs, Terri is not being kept alive artifically. She can breathe on her own. She's not on life support. She is simply being fed. And she should continue to be fed until the day she dies.
This whole situation makes me sick If her parents, her family, want so much to keep her alive and they are willing to care for her, then why should ANYBODY be allowed to remove her feeding tube?! Since we will never know what Terri's true wishes were, the decisions should be made by her family. And I do not think anybody should have the right to tell her parents that they cannot be allowed to care for their daughter, especially considering how imhumane this is. We're talking about starvation here...
Posted By: The Iceman

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/22/05 07:22 AM

I just think it was really stupid of congress to get involved in this issue. There are so many more important items in this nation that needs attention.

Quote:
(mainly those God damned Republicans, as a matter of fact, just those God damned Republicans)
First thing pat I want to reply to your words of god dmaned republicans. :rolleyes: Yeah like it's totally their fault. Granted they controll congress but they don't control it by a large margin. :rolleyes: I'm sure your precious democraps are highly involved in this as well.
Posted By: Lavinia from Italy

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/22/05 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Iceman:
I just think it was really stupid of congress to get involved in this issue. There are so many more important items in this nation that needs attention.
.......human rights ARE important issues, IMO.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/22/05 02:53 PM

This is so very hard. I wouldn't want to trade places with any of the folks involved. As a mother, I can understand the parent's feelings. I would give anything under the sun for another minute with my child. Even if I suspected that she didn't know it was me, just to be able to stroke her face or kiss her cheek, I would gladly surrender whatever anybody wanted. Not just for another day with her, or another hour, but even another second. That's the strength of a parent's love.

However, I can also understand her husband. He is a young man. She has lingered this way for 15 years. It must be heartbreaking. She was a beautiful young girl. To see her reduced to this level is pain I can't imagine.

Maybe he doesn't want to sign over her guardianship because legally, as her husband, the courts usually place the spouse in the position to make these decisions. Maybe he truly believes that this is what she would've wanted and wants to fight for her to die with what he sees as some scrap of dignity.

As for the conflicting testimony regarding her status and her reaction to voices, etc., perhaps the husband is just being more objective. I think that the parents are blinded by their love for her, so maybe they see things that they want to see. I'm pretty sure I would.

That being said, I think that the evidence has shown that she is incapable of surviving. If she still can't eat on her own after 15 years, then her tube should be removed and she should be allowed to die. Seeing my father suffer before he died and being powerless to relieve his pain may have altered my opinion, but I think we owe humans the same compassionate death we would give our own dog or cat.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/22/05 03:06 PM

Quote:
First thing pat I want to reply to your words of god dmaned republicans. Yeah like it's totally their fault. Granted they controll congress but they don't control it by a large margin. I'm sure your precious democraps are highly involved in this as well.
What do they have you watching out there in Nebraska? This is all Republicans pushing this bill.
Posted By: fathersson

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/22/05 07:03 PM

Quote:

I guess he wasn't as smart as you thought.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/22/05 07:40 PM

Quote:
[QUOTE]...The most interesting point though, I thought and mentioned earlier was when they discussed the video where she seems to respond at times and the comment was you see these same few clips over and over because all the other times there is no response at all. I found that a very interesting comment.
The husband once said on Larry King Live (a couple of years ago) that the videoclips provided by the family are extremely misleading because in reality, Terri will lie there for hours and hours without moving a muscle or responding to anything. What we see (and now hear) are basically little gold nuggets of activity that were caught on tape.

I still cannot understand how, without the existence of a living will where Terri would've documented her wishes...the husband was allowed to have her feeding tube removed. I think this is really where the courts intervened...long before Congress & the President got into it. All we have is the word of Michael Schiavo and a few of HIS relatives, that she said she wouldn't want to live this way. I don't think it's enough to enable him to do what he's done.

Best,
Apple

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/22/05 09:28 PM

[/qb][/QUOTE]I guess he wasn't as smart as you thought.

Well, you can't get 'em all right.

Apple this has all been litigated to death for five or six years now. The whole thing is insane.

The creeps who run this country (i.e. the right wingholes) are now calling themselves the "culture of life." Puleeeze. a hundred thousand dead Iraqis are "collateral damage" and Bush used to electrocute retarded people, innocent people and anyone else he could fry.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/22/05 10:30 PM

Quote:
Apple this has all been litigated to death for five or six years now. The whole thing is insane.
..[/QB][/QUOTE]

Sure, it's insane. Thanks to Mr. Michael Schiavo. He could've given care of Terri to her parents and family years ago, preventing them from suffering a loss that they're obviously not ready to accept. But all the while, he's insisted that he's going forward '...for Terri...it's all about Terri'.

Well, if it's all about Terri, then I wish he'd stop plastering his face all over television complaining that the gov't is trampling all over HIS personal life.

Personally, I think it's all but over and Terri's feeding tube will not be re-inserted. Once she's gone, I only hope her husband can sleep nights and live with the suffering he's inflicted on HER family while supposedly doing '...what Terri wanted...'.

Best,
Apple
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/22/05 11:37 PM

This is a non-issue.

Really, why it is that these days, one single issue dominates the 24/7 cable news networks?

Pathetic.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/23/05 08:17 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by The Iceman:
[b] First thing pat I want to reply to your words of god dmaned republicans. Yeah like it's totally their fault. Granted they controll congress but they don't control it by a large margin. I'm sure your precious democraps are highly involved in this as well.
What do they have you watching out there in Nebraska? This is all Republicans pushing this bill. [/b][/quote]Don't forget Pat this is about a life that's an area where the republicans have always had a strong stance. :rolleyes:

One more thing don't badmouth nebraska.
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/23/05 09:02 AM

I don't understand what anyone gets to say about this case when she has parents who are willing to take care of her in this situation. If it were up to me, I'd let go and move on. But if someone else wanted to take care of my hubby, they were welcomed to it.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/23/05 11:50 AM

"One more thing don't badmouth nebraska"

Oh why, because the "N" in Nebraska stands for Knowledge?

I mean thats what this one yokel from Nebraska told me once.

P.S. - Why did Nebraska fire that decent coach, only because he didn't win as much as Osbourne?

I mean damn...
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/23/05 12:13 PM

Eek, tough decision, if she was on life support the decision would be incredibly easier, I'd say pull the plug. The fact that she's alive and just needs assistance in eating means that you would actively need to starve her to end this mess.

That's no life though and that situation is infact my worst nightmare. If anyone kept me in that state I'd seriously come back and haunt them.

You wouldn't let a dog suffer.
Posted By: M.M. Floors

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/23/05 02:21 PM

In Holland on my university we had also a discussion about this. (How interesting, we are Dutch and discussing a American issue)...but there were some good things about it.

First of all my opinion. If she wants to die...let her die.

But with this a whole lot of issues show up. "She wants to die if..."....she said this, but it isn't written on paper (What I know about it )...so who says she really wanted it...we can't find it out now.

Second problem: the doctors say she's brain dead...but is it? The family says that she reacts to several touches and light...so she isn't brain dead...

Third problem: Who is the one who eventually decides...is it her husband, her family, the Congress or the President...it's rediculous that you can't decide it on your own(but she really can't decide now, pratical seen)

Fouth problem: When this 'kill' is sustained, what will people do in the future? This one lasted for over 15 years, but in the future it will maybe decrease to 10 or even 5 or 2 years...

Fifth problem: She maybe once said that when this kind happens she wants to die...but imagine that she isn't braindead and accepts this new way of life. The new 'quality'of life is accepted in stead of the 'quality' she had before. She can't tell it ya....

Sixth problem: Everybody has the right to live...but do you automatically have the right to die when you want to? (If I'm correct suicide is illegal in the US, not sure about it)...the law doesn't say you have the right to die....

Seventh problem: In the future "help with suicide"(I can't come up with the right word, something like "euthanasy??????")is maybe legal...but what are the protocols and the boarders....and when do you pass these boarders...how do you make up these things...

I can tell you people...this is a very important case for the future...whatever and who decides...this will be an example for the next generation...I hope someone makes a very wise decision.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/23/05 03:20 PM

Quote:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by The Iceman:
[b] First thing pat I want to reply to your words of god dmaned republicans. Yeah like it's totally their fault. Granted they controll congress but they don't control it by a large margin. I'm sure your precious democraps are highly involved in this as well.
What do they have you watching out there in Nebraska? This is all Republicans pushing this bill. [/b][/quote]Don't forget Pat this is about a life that's an area where the republicans have always had a strong stance. :rolleyes:

One more thing don't badmouth nebraska. [/b][/quote]This isn't about a life. This is about a woman whose is all but dead, you know, that's why they call her brain dead. She has no sense of what is going on. Would you want to be kept alive in her state?

I'm not busting on Nebraska, so get over your mood swings. I'm being serious. Name a Democrat in the House or Senate who 'pushed' for this bill.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/23/05 03:29 PM

Michael Schiavo is now being painted as some kind of monster by the right wing media machine, however it is his testimony that he and Terri discussed this issue and that she would not have wanted to "live" this way. There was also some corroborative evidence to this effect. I think a part of the problem here is that the Schindlers were misled by a total quack, one Dr. Hammesfahr, who falsely claims he is up for the Nobel prize, and who slaimed he could "cure" Terri. In the State court trial a number ofqualified neurologists said Hammesfahr was way off base.

The lesson here people is to get living wills with explicit instructions about whether or not you want heroics done if you are in a persistent begetative state.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/23/05 03:34 PM

Quote:
Kind of hard to as most were conspiculously (sp?) absent and did not vote as they did not have the balls to vote one way or other
What does voting have to do with this? I don't care if they voted for or against it. Name a Democrat that stood beside Tom Delay and his reactionary pals that said, "THIS BILL MUST BE PASSED NOW!" Name one. Senator or Rep. Just one.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/23/05 03:48 PM

Partagas you are right but keep in mind that the demos did not put up a fight on this because they are all scared to death about attack ads in the next election that will call them "pro death." Until the democrats get their balls up and stop acting like Republicans Lite, this nonsense will continue. I am afraid it is going to take some kind of economoc catastrophe to get these Repukes out of power.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/23/05 03:48 PM

Quote:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by Partagas:
[b] Kind of hard to as most were conspiculously (sp?) absent and did not vote as they did not have the balls to vote one way or other
What does voting have to do with this? I don't care if they voted for or against it. Name a Democrat that stood beside Tom Delay and his reactionary pals that said, "THIS BILL MUST BE PASSED NOW!" Name one. Senator or Rep. Just one. [/b][/quote]Why? I did not dispute what you said. All I said was the Dems were to chickenshit to vote at all as most did not [/b][/quote]Most of them probably didn't want to waste their time when there's people starving to death and being gunned down.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/23/05 05:10 PM

I believe that this thread was started to ask people for their personal opinion on whether Terry should have her tube reinserted or not. I don't believe it was started to begin a debate on Democrats, Republicans or the state of Nebraska.

I think we all have to remember that this is about a young woman and her imminent death. I think that we all need to remember Terry and to pray for her and her family, whatever the outcome of the case. It's simply heartbreaking for a girl so young to be in this physical state. God bless her, and all those who have cared for her.
Posted By: Daigo Mick Friend

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/23/05 05:22 PM

Quote:
[quote]
Most of them probably didn't want to waste their time when there's people starving to death and being gunned down. [/QB][/quote]Now because they did.nt waste their time there's one more person that is starving to death

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/23/05 05:33 PM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Partagas:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by Patrick:
[b]
quote:
Kind of hard to as most were conspiculously (sp?) absent and did not vote as they did not have the balls to vote one way or other
What does voting have to do with this? I don't care if they voted for or against it. Name a Democrat that stood beside Tom Delay and his reactionary pals that said, "THIS BILL MUST BE PASSED NOW!" Name one. Senator or Rep. Just one. [/b][/quote]Why? I did not dispute what you said. All I said was the Dems were to chickenshit to vote at all as most did not [/b][/quote]Most of them probably didn't want to waste their time when there's people starving to death and being gunned down.
For that excuse to work please show me the bill that the democrats were working on when they weren't at the meeting that deals with people starving to death and being gunned down.

btw 47 democrats signed onto the bill

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/23/05 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daigo Mick Friend:
[b] [quote]
Most of them probably didn't want to waste their time when there's people starving to death and being gunned down. [/b][/quote]Now because they did.nt waste their time there's one more person that is starving to death [/QB][/quote]That's what I was just thinking! Once the feeding tube is out, I read that it'll take her two weeks to die of starvation.
Posted By: XDCX

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/24/05 12:06 AM

My 2 cents:

Terri Schiavo is brain-dead. The choice of life or death is now out of her hands, and should be in the hands of her husband, not her family. There is no hope for her. If you have to be hooked up to machines to remain alive, then you aren't meant to be alive, and that point can't be disputed. It's noble that her family is fighting so hard to keep her alive, but for what? The woman is suffering! They don't wanna let go. If you look at it from a psychological perspective, who would want to live in such a condition, given the choice? Those who say they would are most likely not telling the truth. No one enjoys suffering, and that is what this woman is doing. The choice should be left to her husband, and her husband wants to end her suffering, and let it go. That should be the end of it.

*****EDIT*****
BTW, the United States government getting involved in this is completely ludicrous. It's not their business!

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/24/05 04:15 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Daigo Mick Friend:
[b]
quote:
Most of them probably didn't want to waste their time when there's people starving to death and being gunned down. [/b][/quote]Now because they did.nt waste their time there's one more person that is starving to death [/b][/quote]That's what I was just thinking! Once the feeding tube is out, I read that it'll take her two weeks to die of starvation. [/QB]
DMC--Right. 47 signed to the bill, but how many of them stood next to Tom Delay and begged for it to be passed?

You all seem to be ignoring the question. If you were in Terri's state, what would you want? I would've wanted to die a longgggggggggg time ago. -Pat

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/24/05 04:38 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Letizia B.:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by Daigo Mick Friend:
[b]
quote:
quote:
Most of them probably didn't want to waste their time when there's people starving to death and being gunned down. [/b][/quote]Now because they did.nt waste their time there's one more person that is starving to death [/b][/quote]That's what I was just thinking! Once the feeding tube is out, I read that it'll take her two weeks to die of starvation.
DMC--Right. 47 signed to the bill, but how many of them stood next to Tom Delay and begged for it to be passed?

You all seem to be ignoring the question. If you were in Terri's state, what would you want? I would've wanted to die a longgggggggggg time ago. -Pat [/QB]

Well that's what YOU want. I personally would want to live no matter what, machines whatever.
Posted By: La Dolce Vita

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/24/05 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by xXx_DoN_CoRLeOnE_xXx:
The choice of life or death is now out of her hands, and should be in the hands of her husband, not her family.
This is the part of the equation I have trouble with. A husband over parents?

If my daughter was in this predicament, I wouldn't want the person who married her to make life or death decisions for her over the people that brought her into the world and cared for her most of her life.

I'm NOT saying that the parents are right in this case. Just simply stating that the fact that he is MARRIED to her should not automatically make him right in this case.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/24/05 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
I believe that this thread was started to ask people for their personal opinion on whether Terry should have her tube reinserted or not. I don't believe it was started to begin a debate on Democrats, Republicans or the state of Nebraska.

I think we all have to remember that this is about a young woman and her imminent death. I think that we all need to remember Terry and to pray for her and her family, whatever the outcome of the case. It's simply heartbreaking for a girl so young to be in this physical state. God bless her, and all those who have cared for her.
BRAVO!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by La Dolce Vita:
This is the part of the equation I have trouble with. A husband over parents?

If my daughter was in this predicament, I wouldn't want the person who married her to make life or death decisions for her over the people that brought her into the world and cared for her most of her life.

I'm NOT saying that the parents are right in this case. Just simply stating that the fact that he is MARRIED to her should not automatically make him right in this case.
I feel exactly the same way LDV! When you first look at it from a spouses point of veiw, it is very easy to think the way of a spouse. But then looking at my own children, as a parent, your whole way of thinking changes completely!

Quote:
Originally posted by xXx_DoN_CoRLeOnE_xXx:
My 2 cents:

Terri Schiavo is brain-dead. There is no hope for her. If you have to be hooked up to machines to remain alive, then you aren't meant to be alive, and that point can't be disputed. It's noble that her family is fighting so hard to keep her alive, but for what? The woman is suffering! They don't wanna let go.
You have your facts twisted a bit here! She is NOT brain dead by any means! No doctor has ever declared her brain dead! She also is not hooked up to life support machines in order to stay alive, she can breath on her own. The facts that you stated above are totally wrong and therefore do not make for a valid arguement.

This is a really tough and heartbreaking situation for ALL involved.

Don Cardi

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/24/05 08:02 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by The Iceman:
[b]
quote:
First thing pat I want to reply to your words of god dmaned republicans. Yeah like it's totally their fault. Granted they controll congress but they don't control it by a large margin. I'm sure your precious democraps are highly involved in this as well.

One more thing don't badmouth nebraska. [/b][/quote]This isn't about a life. This is about a woman whose is all but dead, you know, that's why they call her brain dead. She has no sense of what is going on. Would you want to be kept alive in her state?

I'm not busting on Nebraska, so get over your mood swings. I'm being serious. Name a Democrat in the House or Senate who 'pushed' for this bill.

I'm not having a mood swing, believe me you'd know it if I was. It's just that when you mentioned the words. "what do they have you watching out there in nebraska?" it seemed like a derogatory statement towards nebraska. Now DMC said that 47 democraps have signed onto this bill, for from a point of view that's just the same as pushing for it.

Oh and why don't you go back and re-read what I originally said I was against congress getting involved in this in the first place. And I think she should die.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/24/05 03:59 PM

Supreme Court Won\'t Hear Schiavo Case

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/24/05 04:09 PM

Indeed. Looks like Game, Set and Match unless Jeb Bush tries something crazy.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/24/05 04:13 PM

This whole case makes me think of what I'd do if it were my daughter in this situation. Like SB says, I can totally see the parents point of view. I just don't understand why the husband won't just give custody to the parents, who are willing to care for her.

At first anyway, I also sympathized with the husband, and could understand how he felt, but for some reason I am not so certain about his motives anymore, since the parents are willing to "let him off the hook" so to speak.

If it were my daughter, I couldn't and wouldn't agree to remove these feeding tubes. While it's true the parents may very well be holding on to false hope, on the other hand, only the parents may be the ones seeing signs of any kind of "life" from their daughter that no one else sees.

All that being said, and being against the removal of these feeding tubes, how cruel it is to literally starve someone to death. Most people wouldn't do that to their dogs. If they must kill her, why not give her an injection of some kind instead of putting her family through the agony and anguish of watching her slowly starve to death. This is truly a heart wrenching situation. I feel for the entire family.

TIS

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/24/05 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
how cruel it is to literally starve someone to death. Most people wouldn't do that to their dogs. This is truly a heart wrenching situation. I feel for the entire family.

TIS
This has become barbaric! Denying a person food and water!! Me, if I were down there, no question that I would be in jail! I'm totally disgusted! People should just pull together and storm the damn hospice that she is in! AGGGGHHHHH!

This topic should be RE-TITLED :

Should Teri Schiavo be Denied Food and Water!!!

Don Cardi
Posted By: XDCX

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/24/05 05:51 PM

That's where I'm torn, the fact that if they allow her to die, they're gonna starve her. I don't care what condition your in, starvation is completely inhumane, and it has to feel utterly painful. It's probably torture at its absolute worse. They say she can last a couple weeks without food or water, but that's not true. Your body can last a few weeks without food, but without water, you won't make it past a few days. Then there's the whole "injection" thing, that I, too, have thought about TIS. But that itself will open up an even bigger can of worms. If they were to allow her to die, would that be the most humane way to do it? Yes, most definitely. But the state giving a lethal injection to someone completely innocent of any crime, and someone so helpless as Terri Schiavo would raise controversy the likes of which we haven't seen in a long time. It's a tough call. All I can say is that if I were in the condition of Terri Schiavo, I wouldn't wanna live, but I also wouldn't wanna die of starvation.

God be with her.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/24/05 06:15 PM

Even if the husband did turn the rights back to her parents isn't he still leagaly married to her? He cannot get a divorce from her. So the only legal way he can move on with his new family is for her to pass away. So what are his true motives here?

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/24/05 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[quote]Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
[b] how cruel it is to literally starve someone to death. Most people wouldn't do that to their dogs. This is truly a heart wrenching situation. I feel for the entire family.

TIS
This has become barbaric! Denying a person food and water!! Me, if I were down there, no question that I would be in jail! I'm totally disgusted! People should just pull together and storm the damn hospice that she is in! AGGGGHHHHH!

This topic should be RE-TITLED :

Should Teri Schiavo be Denied Food and Water!!!

Don Cardi [/b][/quote]Why don't you 2 go and make a petition for the other people that it happens to every day? Terri isn't the only person right now without a feeding tube. It happens every day. -Pat

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/24/05 08:30 PM

This was an obviously troubled girl. There's a certain irony to the fact that she is going to starve to death since she is this way due to medical complications from an eating disorder.

As a society, it would be setting a dangerous precedent to euthanize her with an injection. However, as I said before, I watched my father die a slow and agonizing death from cancer. Basically, he died the same way the Terry is since he was given no feeding tube or other life-support equipment once his body could no longer sustain itself. He had these morphine patches that the hospice gave us. I cannot tell you how badly I wanted to just put them all on him at once so that his pain would be over. It would have been far more merciful.

I don't know enough about the background of the case to guess why Michael Schiavo won't let her parents take over. There are people who have guessed that he would have to relinquish the $1 million settlement he got. However, if she's been like this for 15 years, I would think that a million bucks is chicken feed compared to what it has cost to keep her in that facility.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/24/05 08:31 PM

TIS-

From our past conversations, I know that you are a very compassionate person, and that you, like myself, would do whatever you could to help out another human being. As parents, we both feel the pain that this girl's parents are feeling knowing that their daughter is starving and thirsting to death. I cannot imagine, for the life of me, sitting next to my daughter and not being able to at the very least put a damn Ice Chip to her lips! Outrageous!

Originally when this story first began to gain more attention, I listened to and watched the reports with an open mind. But the last two days for me have been like sitting on a jury. You listen to the evidence and then reach a conclusion. After watching this story for the last few days and hearing nurses' that took care of her and finding out facts that were never even brought out at first, it is just outrageous how this whole situation is being handled! The lack of compassion of some of the people involved in this case is just mind boggling!

Don Cardi

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/24/05 09:01 PM

BULL SH*T!

Jesus Christ, my Lord and Zombie Savior, why do we still talk about a non-issue-turned-political-non-issue?

What Would You Do?

Sincerely,

RonnierocketAGO

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/24/05 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
BULL SH*T!

Jesus Christ, my Lord and Zombie Savior, why do we still talk about a non-issue-turned-political-non-issue?

What Would You Do?

Sincerely,

RonnierocketAGO
Ronnie-

Is you post in response to my post? Please elaborate as your response is not really that clear to me.

Don Cardi

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/24/05 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Provalone:
From what I have heard, her parents were willing to take full responsibility for her, so if there is no living will or similar document, then I really do not understand the husband's view... unless her death means that he can date or remarry with a clear conscience. Sorry, but my 'guy' instincts tell me that even if she is not in his care, she is still restricting him from moving on. Although his wife is disabled, he cannot remarry or even date without technically committing adultery. I am not saying that he does not love his wife, but I do know that her death sets him free to move on.
UPDATE - saw in a DC newspaper, her husband:

1) has been living with a woman for 10 years
2) has 2 children by her
3) promised he would never divorce his wife (does not mean he would not kill her though)

This adds a new meaning to 'till death do us part'. If he divorces her, he would have to provide alimony as long as she is breathing. If she dies - no alimony, he can remarry and give his kids his name, and get any insurance money from his dead wife. That is why he cannot let her live, even if he is not responsible for her. Her death is in his best interests.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/24/05 10:20 PM

WELL that simplifies things for you, huh?

Anyway Don Cardi, I was pissing on the Overall aspect of this issue. Nothing against you personally.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/24/05 10:51 PM

Quote:

Anyway Don Cardi, I was pissing on the Overall aspect of this issue. Nothing against you personally.
Well, I appreciate your not pissing on my post. Thank you very much. I certainly see that you are annoyed and bothered by how this whole thing has turned into a political issue. No question about it. That in itself is a real shame.

Don Cardi

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/25/05 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:

As a society, it would be setting a dangerous precedent to euthanize her with an injection.
This article discusses some of the effects of no food or water on those who are greatly weakened by some existing medical condition. The worries about how horrible "starving her to death" seem misplaced to me since those who voice them have in mind a starving a normal, healthy individual and not one who has no mental function. Her cerebral cortex is liquid. She cannot feel pain, or hunger, or thirst, because there is no consciousness there. Maybe the nerve endings could react in a way that we could define as "pain", but there's no brain there to register it.

However, when thinking of the FAMILY, allowing her to die quickly rather than putting the patient and the family in the unenviable position of watching her die over a period of time is cruel. Even if the patient does not suffer, the family would.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/26/05 02:36 AM

Quote:
RR_AGO - Yes and no. It helps to understand the husband's true motivation behind this whole thing. On the other hand, as a father it would make me furious to think that my son-in-law would rather see my daughter dead than honor his vows. I respect the husband's right to have the final say - at the marriage ceremony, the father gives away the bride. However, if we start (or continue) to kick people to the curb just because they get in the way of our marriage vows, then what do the vows mean?

So no, by using reductionism to assess this situtation, I am not suggesting that the issues are easy, but what I am suggesting is that the husband's motives are sickenly transparent. Am I the perfect husband? - nope and no husband on this earth is perfect. But to accelerate the death of legal wife for the sake of his common law wife is just a little low - even for the average guy.

But in this life, you shall reap what you sow. This guy could suffer a stroke, get hit by a car, etc. and wind up in the same situation. It would be a shame if his new wife did unto him as he he did unto others ...
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/26/05 03:00 AM

Boy, this is just heartwrenching. The third request of the parents (not surprisingly) was denied.

Saladbar, while I have read/heard also that the "victim" who's starving to death supposedly feels no pain, I can't be entirely convinced that even in a vegetative state, one's body doesn't feel thirst and/or hunger pains. Even if this is true, I feel so much compassion for this or any family that I just can't accept this kind of "mercy" killing.

Getting the feel of these parents desperate attempts to hang on and knowing the odds are so against them simply breaks my heart. I know me, and I know I would not give up and would probably do as they are doing. I couldn't bear to say a permanent good-bye to my child.

Damn! I better close now, my eyes are getting teary!

TIS

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/26/05 03:43 AM

The more that I watch this, the more convinced I am becoming that this is a real grave injustice! The more I watch this, the more I am convinced, that if tt were my child or sister, they would have me locked up by now!

Side note : Anyone catch the footage of the policeman that arrested those two young children? What a farce! This cop put HANDCUFFS on those two small kids! LOL! What was he afraid that one of the kids would over power him! :rolleyes: What bothered me even more was that this cop patted down and searched this little girl! The kids parents should bring his ass up on charges! A man, a law enforcemnet male, cuffing a little girl and then patting her down! Outrageous!

Where's John Q when you need him!

Don Cardi

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/26/05 02:39 PM

Well, I guess they made their point now didn't they.

They used those two kids like any other prop.
and it looks like you took it bait, line and sinker. Those poor officers should not have to be put into this dog and pony show.

Enough with the show and grand standing.

I for one have had enough. Let those who have dragged this out so long, live with what they have done.

I only hope Terri is getting what she really wanted to be done.
And I guess none of us will ever Really know for sure.

any way, If she does pass on, may God have mercy on her and may she Finally have peace in his kingdom.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/26/05 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fathersson:
Well, I guess they made their point now didn't they.

They used those two kids like any other prop.
and it looks like you took it bait, line and sinker. Those poor officers should not have to be put into this dog and pony show.

FS-

With all due respect, as far as those kids and the officers go, it is what it is, and you and I saw it live, with our own eyes! But I'll give you this though, the parents of those kids should NEVER have allowed their chidren to be out in that position in the first place. That in itself was a bit irresponsible on the parent's part, no question. But also those officers did NOT have to pat down those kids bodies, let alone cuff them! C'mon now. But it has turned into a media event, and I don't like that either. A political circus, a media show, it all stinks!!!!! At this point, no matter which side you take, the bottom line is that after 8 days of no feeding tube, no water, we all hope and pray that she does not suffer anymore and that God has mercy on her.

Don Cardi

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/26/05 03:58 PM

This whole thing has become a farce, and those scum bag Bush brothers are as much to blame for it as anyone. I didn't see chimp boy leave Crawford to go to Minnesota to console all those victims of the shootings there (Oh, Indians arent part of his base ... never mind).

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/26/05 05:24 PM

I don't know, If that is the rules, that you pat down a person when you place them under arrest, then so be it. Age doesn't matter. It is what they are instructed to do in the line of duty.

If not some big shot lawyer would tear them apart if they did something wrong.

If those kids had something on them that could hurt not only an officer but themselves then they must know what they are dealing with. Maybe the kid had a back brace or something, who knows.

Hey, who would have ever thought that a 4 year old would take a gun to day care, but he did. I am not saying that these kids were armed, But I do know that if I was taking charge of two kids I would be making sure of what they had or didn't have while in my charge.

By the way you are right about those parents. They were report as saying that they were very proud of their kids.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/26/05 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
I know me, and I know I would not give up and would probably do as they are doing. I couldn't bear to say a permanent good-bye to my child.
At some point I would wonder how much I was doing this because I couldn't let go and was holding on to the illusion that she is going to get better, when it cannot happen.

The court previous decision clearly stated: Over the span of this last decade, Theresa's brain has deteriorated because of the lack of oxygen it suffered at the time of the heart attack. By mid 1996, the CAT scans of her brain showed a severely abnormal structure. At this point, much of her cerebral cortex is simply gone and has been replaced by cerebral spinal fluid. Medicine cannot cure this condition. Unless an act of God, a true miracle, were to recreate her brain, Theresa will always remain in an unconscious, reflexive state, totally dependent upon others to feed her and care for her most private needs.

The parents offered her husband the rest of the settlement if he would let them have the custody. And a third party offered him another million (or was it 10 million). He is just not in it for the money and to get rid of her.

It is an awful PRIVATE situation that NEVER should have come to the public limelight. It SHOULD NEVER have come to the political arena. What I'm distressed about is the ridiculous meddling of Congress. This is NOT a legislative issue. It is a judicial issue for the STATE courts, and has been resolved there over and over again. Democrats are just letting Congressional republicans fuck with the separation of powers. I am so unbelievably disappointed in Congressional democrats, but I could see it in '06 "his Democrat voted for her to die!"

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/28/05 02:35 PM

Does anybody know how long they were married before she had her heart attack? Since she was only 26 when it happened, am I correct in assuming that it wasn't for very long? Perhaps the husband refuses to relinquish her to her parents because she had had the eating disorder for a long time and he feels that they didn't help her then, why should they have the right to decide her fate now? I'm not saying that's the case, just a theory.

Re: Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die? - 03/28/05 07:57 PM

Just got this from my liberal partner in crime, SB.
----
Based on the recent weeks, we've learned some things about the US and its' government.

1) Jeb Bush, George W. Bush, and Tom Delay are all world renowned neurologists.

2) 22 successive court battles that all ended in exactly the same way means there is something wrong with the courts, not the Schindler's
case.

3) Mike is after money which is why he turned down 1 million dollars and 10 million dollars to sign over guardianship.

4) Congress and the State Legislature of Florida has nothing better to do than pry into the private medical affairs of others.

5) Pulling life support is bad in Florida when authorized by the legal next-of-kin, but pulling life support is good in Texas when you run out of money and the mother pleads not to pull the plug on her baby.

6) Medical diagnoses are best performed by watching highly editted videotape made by Randall Terry rather than in person by trained physicians.

7) Minimum wage making nursing assistants are more qualified to diagnose a persistant vegetative state than experienced neurologists.

8) Cerebral spinal fluid is a magical potion that can mimic the entire functions of a missing cerebral cortex.

9) 15 years in the same persistant state is not really enough time to make an accurate diagnosis.

10) A feeding tube that infuses yellow nutritional goop is not really "life support".

11) Jesus was wrong when he said that a man and woman should leave their parents and cleave only to each other.

12) Marriage is the most sacred of all unions, except when it isn't.

13) Interfering in a family's private tragedy is a great reason to cut short a vacation, but getting a memo that warns a known terrorist is
determine to strike inside the US is cause to relax and finish up some R&R.

14) Pro-lifers are really compassionate people which is why they are hoping that Michael Schiavo dies a horrible painful death.

15) The Supreme Court of the United States and the State Supreme Court of Florida mean "Maybe" when they are saying "No!"

16) Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia is a bleeding heart liberal.

17) 7 Supreme Court Justices were appointed by republican presidents, so it's Clinton's fault. ( )

18) A judge who makes rulings based on the law is obviously an atheist, liberal, democratic activist even though he is a conservative, republican, Southern Baptist.

The saddest part of this whole thing? Every one of those things is based on reality. Sad, sad reality.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET