Home

The movie everybody loves and you hate

Posted By: Lavinia from Italy

The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 12:02 PM

As for me, all the Harry Potters and the Lord of the Rings saga. Yeah, I'm allergic to that sort of movie. Now, feel free to despise me!
Posted By: JustMe

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 01:36 PM

Lavinia, I'm considering to send you those Nasorine's cookies as a sign of respect.
I can't imagine a sane person spending time on Harry potter.
Also - Gangs of NY, Once upon a time in America, Rocky, Leon, GF3 - how can I forget the most beloved And so many others... I'm so independent in my tastes - it's horrible.
Posted By: Cancerkitty

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 01:41 PM

Kill Bill. Both of them. I hated these movies; I thought they were terrible and just can't comprehend how they can possibly be so popular.

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JustMe:
Lavinia, I'm considering to send you those Nasorine's cookies as a sign of respect. [/QB]
what on the earth are "those Nasorine's cookies"????

Quote:
Originally posted by JustMe:Also - Gangs of NY, Once upon a time in America, Rocky, Leon, GF3 - how can I forget the most beloved And so many others... I'm so independent in my tastes - it's horrible. [/QB]
I liked Gangs of NY (yes, with a great LEO in it!!! :p ), Once upon a time in America, Rocky (only the first one, though) and GF3 (not crazy about it, but I liked) -- did not watch Leon. Do I still deserve your respect?

Seriously, my friend, I think being indipendent in one's tastes it's a sign of intelligence and maturity. I believe it's easier when you are not in your teens anymore (since a loooooooooong time, in my case! )

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cancerkitty:
Kill Bill. Both of them. I hated these movies; I thought they were terrible and just can't comprehend how they can possibly be so popular.
I loved Pulp fiction, really. But these Kill Bills are not my kind of movie. AND Matrix.

Bravo, Cancerkitty (where did you pick this nick???? )

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 02:00 PM

My nick goes back to a high school writing assignment wherein we had to give an animal human characteristics. I made a cat that smoked cigarettes named, of course, Cancerkitty.

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 02:03 PM

Quote:
My nick goes back to a high school writing assignment wherein we had to give an animal human characteristics. I made a cat that smoked cigarettes named, of course, Cancerkitty.
OMG, how macabre!

PS. I'm a cat-lover

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 02:06 PM

At the time I thought I was pretty damn funny .

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 02:11 PM

Quote:
At the time I thought I was pretty damn funny .
yes, but what about "RecoveredKitty"?????

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 02:13 PM

I suppose it's not out of the question, but I've already got the email address. It'd be a big pain, you know?

Plus the cat smoking logo a couple of you helped me make is pretty sweet looking.

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 02:24 PM

Quote:
Plus the cat smoking logo a couple of you helped me make is pretty sweet looking. [/QB]
so why don't you show it to us?

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 02:27 PM

Here\'s a link to the topic. Or do you mean why don't I use it as an avatar? If so, I guess I don't know. I probably should.

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
[quote]Originally posted by JustMe:
Lavinia, I'm considering to send you those Nasorine's cookies as a sign of respect.
what on the earth are "those Nasorine's cookies"???? [/QB][/quote]Sorry my dear, I forgot that you didn't read the great book yet. How can you live without it? They were so creamy...
Quote:
I liked Gangs of NY (yes, with a great LEO in it!!! :p ), Once upon a time in America, Rocky (only the first one, though) and GF3 (not crazy about it, but I liked) -- did not watch Leon. Do I still deserve your respect?
Only if I still deserve your respect disliking them!
Quote:

Seriously, my friend, I think being indipendent in one's tastes it's a sign of intelligence and maturity. I believe it's easier when you are not in your teens anymore (since a loooooooooong time, in my case! )
Yes, it is easier when you are not. And when you have terrible character.

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 02:41 PM

Quote:
Here's[/URL] a link to the topic. [/QB]
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!Those cats are terrific!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Cancerkitty:Or do you mean why don't I use it as an avatar? If so, I guess I don't know. I probably should. [/QB]
Yes, you definitely should! Believe me, your smoking kitty is much cutier than your current avatar!!!!

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JustMe:
And when you have terrible character. [/QB]
Women of character are said to have terrible characters. But it's men who say so....
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 03:00 PM

*cough*

THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST. I don't "hate" it, but after the church groups(plus the "controversy") made the movie a super-blockbuster, I just tuned out. Then many of those same people complaining how it got lost in the schuffle for the Oscars :rolleyes:

(Before some of you hardcore fans of the movie whip me and then nail me to a cross, lets remember that I think the movie's Oscar nominations for Best Make-Up and Cinematography is F*cking worthy. But Best Score? Man it stank!)

SHREK 2.......why?

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
*cough*

THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST. I don't "hate" it, but after the church groups(plus the "controversy") made the movie a super-blockbuster, I just tuned out. Then many of those same people complaining how it got lost in the schuffle for the Oscars :rolleyes:

(Before some of you hardcore fans of the movie whip me and then nail me to a cross, lets remember that I think the movie's Oscar nominations for Best Make-Up and Cinematography is F*cking worthy. But Best Score? Man it stank!)

SHREK 2.......why?
WOW, this boy got's sytle!
Posted By: Nice Guy Eddie

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 03:26 PM

Oceans 12.
Posted By: goombah

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 03:34 PM

Pulp Fiction and The Usual Suspects

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by goombah:
Pulp Fiction and The Ususal Suspects

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 04:18 PM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by goombah:
[b] Pulp Fiction and The Ususal Suspects
[/b][/quote]You asked! One man's coffee is another man's tea...
Posted By: Tony Mosrite

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 05:56 PM

how can a people do not love Pulp Fiction??? anyway, that's what this thread is about! my pick would be Matrix. I admit I didn't even watch it, but I supposed it's the worst film ever (after Catwoman, of course, but everyone hates it).
Posted By: Silvio

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 06:15 PM

Braveheart
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 06:22 PM

Quote:
Wow!

And goombah, no love for The Usual Suspects?

As for me, this isn't a movie that everbody "loves" but a lot of people at least like it. Hellboy. Seen it twice, walked out in the theaters and couldn't wait for it to end on DVD. I HATED this f'n movie. And it's weird, I loved The Punisher and everyone seems to hate it. From everyone I've come across, you either love The Punisher and hate Hellboy, or you love Hellboy and hate The Punisher
Posted By: XDCX

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 06:28 PM

Brace yourselves....

Citizen Kane. Ok, I don't hate it, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as most people. Then again, I've seen it only once.

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xXx_DoN_CoRLeOnE_xXx:
Brace yourselves....

Citizen Kane. Ok, I don't hate it, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as most people. Then again, I've seen it only once.
Don't feel bad, I thought the same about Seven Samurai. Did you read my review?

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 06:32 PM

"You asked! One man's coffee is another man's tea..."

More like "One person's coffee is another man's toilet".

Anyway Irishman, you know what? It's not just you.

HELLBOY just sucked.

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 06:35 PM

Quote:
Anyway Irishman, you know what? It's not just you.

HELLBOY just sucked.
THANK YOU!. I don't see how people say that is a better movie than The Punisher. True I have a biased towards Frank Castle b/c I collected the comic books growing up, but still, I mean come on, it's a better movie. Sure it has it's corny movies, but Hellboy's story just sucked so much and was very boring/unentertaining! And here's the kicker, they're making a sequel! Well, I'm looking forward to The Punisher 2!
Posted By: XDCX

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
[quote]Originally posted by xXx_DoN_CoRLeOnE_xXx:
[b] Brace yourselves....

Don't feel bad, I thought the same about Seven Samurai. Did you read my review? [/b][/quote]Yea, I read it. B&W movies are an acquired taste. There are some that I just love (On the Waterfront, Streetcar, Seven Samurai) and some...well...not so much (Citizen Kane). It's true, as many above have said :"One person's coffee is another man's pee...err...tea."

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 06:48 PM

Thing is, HELLBOY was an enjoyable comic book from the issues I had read that had a pretty good premise.

But the movie....f*ck, I don't know where to begin on what the hell went wrong(and its not adaptation reasons, for I could care less if some character's hair was correct or not. I just want a good movie.) but I'll these 3 things about the movie.

(1) - Ron Perlman was good. Sure the movie was mediocre-as-waste-of-time, Perlman was kinda enjoyable to watch. I say "kinda" because rest of the movie wasn't worth my time. Hell, it is NEVER a good omen when your villain sucks. Really, better the villain, better the hero.

(2) - I quite liked the make-up technical job on this film.

(3) - Remember the scene with the Russian corpse on Perlman's back? Man that was the insane wacky humor/action adventure that I enjoyed about the comics. I mean that was the only good scene in the whole film. Too bad the rest of the movie was....how can I say....*cough*

Then again Irishman, remember that I didn't care for THE PUNISHER film. Of course I enjoyed Garth Ennis' work where you had absolutely fun action comic storytelling while you had just very good dark comedy. I mean stuff like the title character having to fight an army of midgets, using bodies in a morgue as human shields, or better yet....a good reason WHY you shouldn't stick your head through the glass window on subways....

But the PUNISHER movie, man I revise my statement, I was disapointed. However, its still alot better than the older Dolph Lundgren clunker.
Posted By: angiez23

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 06:51 PM

LOTR trilogy.

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 06:53 PM

Quote:
More like "One person's coffee is another man's toilet".
I begin to understand why Lavinia Likes you so nuch!
BTW, I remembered that Moulin Rouge and Chicago didn't please me at all.
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 08:34 PM

LOTR

Harry Potter

Pretty much all comic book movies since Batman Returns although I think I might be missing one I liked.

The Ring (horrible, HORRIBLE)
Posted By: bogey

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 08:52 PM

I agree.. The Ring.. it wasn't scary AT ALL. It put me to sleep.. literally.

Others: Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the new one.. not the old one).. I'd say GFIII, but I haven't met too many people who actually liked it.. and Hellboy. I couldn't STAND this movie.. my brother loved it.. he's the one that made me watch it, but I thought it was horrible.

I know theres more.. I just have to think.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 09:20 PM

Braveheart, Lord of the Rings, and The English Patient.

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 09:21 PM

Posted By: Rocky

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/10/05 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
The English Patient.
Just like Elaine from Seinfeld
Posted By: Krlea

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/11/05 12:15 AM

LOTR, Napoleon Dynamite, Titanic, Shrek 2, and last (and most hated) Harry Potter (all of them).

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/11/05 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rocky:
[quote]Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
[b] The English Patient.
Just like Elaine from Seinfeld [/b][/quote]Yo Rock-
You stole my thunder. To quote Elaine, "I haaate it!!!"

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/11/05 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by goombah:
[quote]Originally posted by Rocky:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
[b] The English Patient.
Just like Elaine from Seinfeld [/b][/quote]Yo Rock-
You stole my thunder. To quote Elaine, "I haaate it!!!" [/b][/quote]Man I love that episode. I could so sympathise with Elaine on that, which is why this is a great topic.
Posted By: The Iceman

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/11/05 07:07 AM

Well for me it would be Titanic, LOTR, and Jurasic Park(all of them) plus all my friends just love Godzilla(the version starring Mathew Broderick) which I thought was worse than bad.

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/11/05 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

the English patient was great!!!

I know, I know......"One man's coffee......etc etc....."

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/11/05 08:11 AM

Wait, I revise my now-legendary proverb:

"One person's coffee is another person's toilet paper"

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/11/05 08:27 AM

Quote:
Wait, I revise my now-legendary proverb:

"One person's coffee is another person's toilet paper"
:D I could suggest a trush version of it, but being a lady it is not advisable. It could ruin my image on the BB.
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/11/05 09:36 AM

LOTR. I'm still trying to finish watching the "Twin Tower". For some reason I'd been spelled not to. "The Fellowship of the Ring" was like the worst movie I've ever seen in my life. Maybe if there were less hype about it, I wouldn't have felt that way. Funny thing is, I like Harry Potter movies.
I also hated "Matrix Reloaded".

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/11/05 02:54 PM

Quote:
[b] The English Patient.
Just like Elaine from Seinfeld [/b][/quote]I SO indentified with her!!!
Posted By: Vito The Godfather

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/11/05 03:50 PM

Two movies come to my mind: Matrix and Titanic. Two highly pathetic movies. Hate them.

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/11/05 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vito The Godfather:
Two movies come to my mind: Matrix and Titanic. Two highly pathetic movies. Hate them.
Titanic????
I ADORE IT!!!! Watched three or four times so far....

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/11/05 04:09 PM

When Matrix was on TV I could sit only quater of it.
Posted By: Vito The Godfather

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/11/05 04:10 PM

I hate it how they wanted to make it so romantic that movie whilst such a tragedy has happened in that famous Titanic boat.

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/11/05 04:14 PM

Titanic could've been at least good if it didn't try to increase the script with a romance. That's what made "A Night to Remember" a good movie.
Posted By: Freddie C.

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/11/05 04:40 PM

Quote:
[b] The English Patient.
Just like Elaine from Seinfeld [/b][/quote]"How could you not like The English Patient?"

"How about... it SUCKED"

My choice is Napolean Dynamite. Everyone at my school, even my friends, quote this movie to no end. My gf has even memorized the choreography! I hated it!
Posted By: Rocky

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/11/05 05:24 PM

Dances with Wolves
Field of Dreams
Blow
Lord of the Rings

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/15/05 03:11 PM

"Eyes wide shut", nauseating!!!!
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/15/05 11:03 PM

Two which immediately come to mind:

Scarface (1983)
Million Dollar Baby (2004)

My hate for these movies is only because of everybody else finding (somehow) great merit in them. And the only reason I listed them was they were the very first I thought of. There are far too many others to list.

Perhaps I will conjure up a list of films I feel are drastically overrated, and post it soon...

Mick
Posted By: Lauren8

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/16/05 01:47 AM

Quote:
"Eyes wide shut", nauseating!!!!
Agree, terrible film. I also think I have probably hated every Adam Sandler movie, ever, I don't understand their popularity. And I really hated that movie, "The Hours." I thought it was such a cold, unemotional film, not half as interesting as the book.

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/16/05 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
Scarface (1983)
What didn't you like about it? It's my favorite movie of all time!

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/16/05 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lauren8:
I also think I have probably hated every Adam Sandler movie, ever, I don't understand their popularity.
Um, they're hilirous. I have every Adam Sandler movie on DVD (that he's stared in that is)

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/16/05 02:18 AM

Adam Sandler movies aren't particularly good, but they're funny. However, he hasn't made one good comedy after Big Daddy (Punch Drunk Love leans to drama).
Posted By: DannyMontana

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/17/05 12:53 AM

Napoleon damn Dynamite. You have no idea how much I hate this movie. It is sooooo terrible.
Posted By: Senza Mama

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/17/05 11:04 AM

The Shawshank Redemption (zzzzzzz) & Shallow Grave

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/17/05 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Senza Mama:
The Shawshank Redemption (zzzzzzz)

Posted By: Senza Mama

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/17/05 12:10 PM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Senza Mama:
[b] The Shawshank Redemption (zzzzzzz)

[/b][/quote]Over hyped, over sentimental claptrap. Just my coffee to your tea Lavinia!

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/17/05 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by afsaneh77:
LOTR. I'm still trying to finish watching the "Twin Tower". For some reason I'd been spelled not to. "The Fellowship of the Ring" was like the worst movie I've ever seen in my life. Maybe if there were less hype about it, I wouldn't have felt that way. Funny thing is, I like Harry Potter movies.
I also hated "Matrix Reloaded".
That's the Two Towers, not Twin Towers

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/17/05 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
[quote]Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
[b] Scarface (1983)
What didn't you like about it? It's my favorite movie of all time! [/b][/quote]Lacks moral depth, runs way too overlong for what it's trying to say, strip away Pacino's over-the-top performance and you've got nothing. De Palma strives too hard for poetry on film, and ends up with a profane monologue of racial injustice and run-of-the-mill (fictional) gangster biopic.

Mick
Posted By: Daigo Mick Friend

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/18/05 12:53 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Irishman12:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
[b] Scarface (1983)
What didn't you like about it? It's my favorite movie of all time! [/b][/quote]Lacks moral depth, runs way too overlong for what it's trying to say, strip away Pacino's over-the-top performance and you've got nothing. De Palma strives too hard for poetry on film, and ends up with a profane monologue of racial injustice and run-of-the-mill (fictional) gangster biopic.

Mick [/b][/quote]Scareface has not aged well. It is like your high school yearbook picture 20 years later. It's like what was I thinking. Pacino's over the top performance is a parody of itself. I believe that in twenty more years it will be like a B movie Attack of the Killer Tomatoes or Attack of the 50 foot Woman.
Posted By: Blake

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/18/05 02:50 AM

I think Scarface is a good movie.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/18/05 03:08 AM

Quote:
Lacks moral depth, runs way too overlong for what it's trying to say, strip away Pacino's over-the-top performance and you've got nothing. De Palma strives too hard for poetry on film, and ends up with a profane monologue of racial injustice and run-of-the-mill (fictional) gangster biopic.
Yeah, but... what don't you like about it? :p

Hey, sometimes I think movies are great if they meet just ONE simple criterion: They entertain me every time I watch it! :p

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/18/05 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
Hey, sometimes I think movies are great if they meet just ONE simple criterion: They entertain me every time I watch it! :p
Couldn't have said it better myself Don. BTW, Pacino was not "over the top" in his performance.

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/18/05 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
[quote]Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
[b]Lacks moral depth, runs way too overlong for what it's trying to say, strip away Pacino's over-the-top performance and you've got nothing. De Palma strives too hard for poetry on film, and ends up with a profane monologue of racial injustice and run-of-the-mill (fictional) gangster biopic.
Yeah, but... what don't you like about it? :p

Hey, sometimes I think movies are great if they meet just ONE simple criterion: They entertain me every time I watch it! :p [/b][/quote]Meh, me, Capo, Thug, Omar, etc. all rate movies mainly on an artistic slant, although I HEAVILY disagree with Capo on this. :p

Scarface's entertainment value for me is ****, but I rate it as a ***. A movie has to do more then keep me entertained for a few hours.

Re: The movie everybody loves and you hate - 02/18/05 11:00 PM

If I allow it to, just about any film will entertain me for however long it lasts. But for me, it helps to have some weight behind that entertainment; and as already said, Scarface's running length is too long for what it's trying to say, so there are many times in the film where I'm not engaged (I use present tense, as I tend to revisit it every three months or so).

Pacino's whole oeuvre tends to be over-the-top: outrageous stares, animated body language and littered with sudden bursts of verbal diarrhoea. A great actor, but Tony Montana is merely an influential charicature.

There are millions of films much worse than Scarface, but as already highlighted, I only pick it out because of why so many people bewilderingly find merit in it.

Mick
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET